"The Arsenio Hall Show" Canceled After One Season Due To It Not Being Financially Viable

Options
13»

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I saw Arsenio's show when he came back.

I'm sorry, but outside the debut, it seemed to that he didn't have the energy he once shown on the talk show where they were whooping it up every night. This is probably because of:

1) He's older
    2) Changing of the times
    3) The network had him on a real short leash.

In any case, I just didn't see the fire I remember from the Arsenio of the 90s, and it caused the show to become real stale REAL quick. It sucks, but this was bound to happen.

GOAT Black talk show host, tho.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Arsenio is the guy Camron was referring too in his interview with the Breakfast Club a while back.

Dude was vague as ? about it, but aside from the Boondocks, he's got the only Black show that could fit the situation Camron gave.

But Arsenio is a show that needs to be on a Black network. All his guest were relevant to Black media in some way. That or personal friends of his.

? .... the ? got Prince on his couch. That in itself should say something. I'm gonna take this moment to admit my infatuation for Leah Remini as well. Goofy broad had my full attention.

What camron say?

Got to 20:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdVdPsW75g

Damn... that's ? up... no wonder key& peele got a show past season one.. most people who watch that is white. ..
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was loving it, I liked the different segments he had and the different performers he had on there.
    I hope he gets picked up by another station because, I was starting to get used to it.
    It's crazy how this happened after he started defending Magic against Donald Sterling, then he had ? Gregory on the show and Paul Mooney once again it started getting too real for them and they pulled the plug.
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They could have at least let the second season ride to see how things would have picked up, how you gonna have Jay Lennon come on the show and give Arsenio the note for the second season renewal and then cancel the show.

They canceled Lopez Tonight when I started to get into it and now Arsenio, there are so many wack shows on tv that are still on but I don't see them canceling them.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    I saw Arsenio's show when he came back.

I'm sorry, but outside the debut, it seemed to that he didn't have the energy he once shown on the talk show where they were whooping it up every night. This is probably because of:

1) He's older
    2) Changing of the times
    3) The network had him on a real short leash.

In any case, I just didn't see the fire I remember from the Arsenio of the 90s, and it caused the show to become real stale REAL quick. It sucks, but this was bound to happen.

GOAT Black talk show host, tho.

His demographic was supporting him tho.... regardless of the situation... and it was a wide range... the short time he was on he had everybody from Kendrick Lamar to Maya Angelou on the show... him being older probably was better because he had guess on the show that people my age and younger barley knew and they told there story... like it was said before this ? had PRINCE on the show.. I've only seen that man 3 times in the last 5 years on tv... smh... but yeah Givin it wasn't about the ratings I can see him getting picked up on another network...
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Arsenio is the guy Camron was referring too in his interview with the Breakfast Club a while back.

Dude was vague as ? about it, but aside from the Boondocks, he's got the only Black show that could fit the situation Camron gave.

But Arsenio is a show that needs to be on a Black network. All his guest were relevant to Black media in some way. That or personal friends of his.

? .... the ? got Prince on his couch. That in itself should say something. I'm gonna take this moment to admit my infatuation for Leah Remini as well. Goofy broad had my full attention.

What camron say?

Got to 20:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTdVdPsW75g

Damn... that's ? up... no wonder key& peele got a show past season one.. most people who watch that is white. ..

The folks that run the show feel black people don't have income to spare to fund and support franchises, so they might watch but they won't buy the boxed set, they'll bootleg it. Big business is still pretty ? racist.

Black spending is said to be in the billions. We've been supporting and funding franchises for years. I doubt it's simply about getting Black dollars off box sets. If anything, it would have given CBS a chance to put their hands in our cookie jar as well.

Arsenio, if Camron is saying what I think he is, wasn't willing to play ball with the boys in they yard. And so they kicked him out.
  • the ghost
    the ghost Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Special shout out to Denzel, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx, Oprah, the Obamas, Halle, Samuel L.(snakes on this muthafuckin plane) Jackson, Mariah Carey, Morgan Freeman...yall are the ? we look up too.:groupwave:
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    show was wack and not funny
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the ghost wrote: »
    Special shout out to Denzel, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx, Oprah, the Obamas, Halle, Samuel L.(snakes on this muthafuckin plane) Jackson, Mariah Carey, Morgan Freeman...yall are the ? we look up too.:groupwave:

What you mean by this?
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

What you mean by this?

obvious troll..

• the ghost
    Options
    Special shout out to Denzel, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx, Oprah, the Obamas, Halle, Samuel L.(snakes on this muthafuckin plane) Jackson, Mariah Carey, Morgan Freeman...yall are the ? we look up too.

What you mean by this?

Those are the clowns that went on Fallons show but couldn't put it in their schedule to go on Arsenio.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought he was already on his 2nd Season now ....

They renewed him for a second season b/c he announced it on one of his episodes one night he was on. Idk what happened Arsenio will be better off on BET (maybe). He had too much going against him on network tv as the late night scene was crowded already.
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    Special shout out to Denzel, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx, Oprah, the Obamas, Halle, Samuel L.(snakes on this muthafuckin plane) Jackson, Mariah Carey, Morgan Freeman...yall are the ? we look up too.

What you mean by this?

Those are the clowns that went on Fallons show but couldn't put it in their schedule to go on Arsenio.

Did you watch that camron video... the tv company has some say so on who they gonna let come on a show. ..
  • the ghost
    edited June 2014
    Options

What you mean by this?

Did you watch that camron video... the tv company has some say so on who they gonna let come on a show. ..

Yea i saw that, it sounds like he's talking mainly about white stars, and since Eddie, Bill Cosby and Kevin hart appeared on the show why not other black stars?

And who the hell is gonna tell the Obamas where they can and cannot go?
  • damobb2deep
    Options

What you mean by this?

Yea i saw that, it sounds like he's talking mainly about white stars, and since Eddie, Bill Cosby and Kevin hart appeared on the show why not other black stars?

And who the hell is gonna tell the Obamas where they can and cannot go?

Secret service?

But 4 real there is alot of things behind the scenes in show business we have no idea about... and who is 2 say those people (if the tv company allowed it) wouldn't be on the show... ? one season ain't ? ..
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only seen it once
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Part of problem was Arsenio was on the same time slot as the local news here. I read the Yahoo article that time slot changes in different areas hurt him too.

My thoughts on the show is that he was too stuck in the 90's with some of his material, especially his skits. The fact he couldn't get current A-listers because of politics hurt him as well.

Also, what made him unique with booking and breaking in black artists is gone, because of the state of music landscape, and black artists go on Fallon and Kimmel already, Fallon makes a sort of hip hop oriented/theme talk show.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got a glimpse, ? looked kind of weak compared to the 90's, but at the end of the day, this was

A) a black show
    B) didn't contain any shucking and jiving (that I was aware of)

that's all it takes for me to support it.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bruh it was a good show.....i feel like i shoulda watched it more... but arsenio did his thing
  • WinterHeat
    WinterHeat Members Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Nobody was really watching the show. It's a new era. ? love saying bring this back until it's back then we like "oh, mehhh".
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    WinterHeat wrote: »
    Nobody was really watching the show. It's a new era. ? love saying bring this back until it's back then we like "oh, mehhh".

He actually had decent ratings.... and was told it would be renewed. ..