About to go to war with N. Korea?

Options

Comments

• dholt23
    dholt23 Members Posts: 839
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The US think that they can just ? with any country we want and look what happen terriost got the US shook u can even board a plane without having your nuts checked, david is always going to find a way to take down the giant
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    She may be a crackhead cousin, but if you think China is going to go for a greater US presence in their area than they already have you are sorely mistaken. They will most certainly extend a continental ? slap to anybody who sets foot in that region and attempts to destabilize it. How they feel about North Korea is irrelevant.

I wouldn't be surprised by a China-backed coup in North Korea. More likely than a war imho
  • Swiffness!
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yeah ok. so what's your point. i don't understand what your arguing?

for the most part you're reinforcing my point that because of these reasons war is not likely to happen.

just adding my two cents is all.
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    just adding my two cents is all.

o. my bad. u threw me off cause you went point by point like you were arguing against my main point.

i was thinking, he's making the same argument, lol
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    3) you're right a war with nk would be nothing like the iraq war, because the nk's a going to fight to last man is dead. iraq had a divided population that was being run by an unpopular minority sect. despite what we think of kim jong-il, he is held in high revence in that country and their million man army (further supported by china) is not going to fold like the iraqi army. and we don't even have the troops to engage in an all out military invasion of north korea.
    well...

01. i'm not sure why we seem to think it's a given that NK's population will fight to the last man because Kim is "held in high revence in that country." yeah, there's a high level of indoctrination, so it's not right to think it will just crumble in moments, but i doubt every last man and woman is gleefully hoping to die for Dear Leader.
    02. this "million man army" thing just makes me wonder why we're supposed to be so impressed by North Korea's military: it doesn't have a stellar track record, it's nothing but spouting a number and expecting us to be impressed by that alone.
    03. i'm not sure what "further supported by china" means in this context; i am curious.
    dholt23 wrote: »
    The US think that they can just ? with any country we want and look what happen terriost got the US shook u can even board a plane without having your nuts checked, david is always going to find a way to take down the giant
    i am not sure how this is a response to NK shooting a torpedo at an SK ship
    I wouldn't be surprised by a China-backed coup in North Korea. More likely than a war imho
    i think, honestly, that China just can't work out the math on how to make this happen
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    well...

01. i'm not sure why we seem to think it's a given that NK's population will fight to the last man because Kim is "held in high revence in that country." yeah, there's a high level of indoctrination, so it's not right to think it will just crumble in moments, but i doubt every last man and woman is gleefully hoping to die for Dear Leader.
    02. this "million man army" thing just makes me wonder why we're supposed to be so impressed by North Korea's military: it doesn't have a stellar track record, it's nothing but spouting a number and expecting us to be impressed by that alone.
    03. i'm not sure what "further supported by china" means in this context; i am curious.

i am not sure how this is a response to NK shooting a torpedo at an SK ship

i think, honestly, that China just can't work out the math on how to make this happen

You are VASTLY underrating North Korea's military. They are very gangsta over there, almost as gangsta as America's government. NK has blown up a submarine filled with SK's navy men.....and NO ONE has responded militarily. NO ONE.....all the US and SK are doing is some showboat, military exercises now. Which is fine, but that doesn't scare NK too much. They don't want a war, but their not exactly hiding from the USA either! Don't deny the power of a million man army that has connections to China, a slowly growing superpower that holds trillions of the dying empire's debt.
  • _Ozymandias_
    edited May 2010
    Options
    well...

1) when you have a closed society that's that been force feed propaganda for 60 years that America is an evil empire that wants to destroy korean society than it's more reason to believe that they are going to fight hard for "dear leader" against an invading army from America. national pride is a strong emotion. like after we were attacked on 9-11 most of the country rallied behind bush. now imagine this happening in a country were they see their leaders as ? -like.

2) doesn't have a stellar record? did you forget that from 1950-1953 a north korean army fought a brand new military superpower to a standstill. and hasn't been attacked since. if you look at records, unfortunately, it's the US that's hasn't had much success in major wars since wwII (korea-draw, vietnam-lost, persian gulf-win, afghanistan-?, iraq-?)

3) in any war, outside forces share technology, intelligence, and limited manpower to help a particular side in the conflict that protects their interest. (ie China/USSR supporting nk in the korean war, US supporting the mujahideen in aghanistan in the 80's, iran supporting insurgent groups in iraq).
  • _Ozymandias_
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You are VASTLY underrating North Korea's military. They are very gangsta over there, almost as gangsta as America's government. NK has blown up a submarine filled with SK's navy men.....and NO ONE has responded militarily. NO ONE.....all the US and SK are doing is some showboat, military exercises now. Which is fine, but that doesn't scare NK too much. They don't want a war, but their not exactly hiding from the USA either! Don't deny the power of a million man army that has connections to China, a slowly growing superpower that holds trillions of the dying empire's debt.

man this a little off topic, but i'm waiting to see who is going to be the first politician in this country to step up and admit that the us is a dying empire and it's time to cut our losses. we can't afford to maintain our empire around the world anymore, let alone engage in more military occupations.

not saying that the america's reign as a global power is over, but we need to reevaluate our priorities and abilities so that as our power lessons we can still be a (or maybe the) major player in the world.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2010
    Options
    man this a little off topic, but i'm waiting to see who is going to be the first politician in this country to step up and admit that the us is a dying empire and it's time to cut our losses. we can't afford to maintain our empire around the world anymore, let alone engage in more military occupations.

not saying that the america's reign as a global power is over, but we need to reevaluate our priorities and abilities so that as our power lessons we can still be a (or maybe the) major player in the world.

It's unlikely any politician will admit America is a dying empire. All Americans know we are one deep down though, so it really isn't necessary to admit this. 13 TRILLION dollars in debt is more than enough numbers that says America is going downhill eventually. It was a nice ride, but we can only bomb half the ? planet so much until we go bankrupt. Rome went down this road, Britain did, why wouldnt the USA?

We still have the most influence culturally and economically worldwide, but China is slowly taking our spot economically. The only thing that's saving the USA right now is the reality that most of China still looks like a 3rd world country with a population that eventually will run out of jobs.

I give the USA another 150 years before we enter second or 3rd world status.
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    lmao @the posts in thsi thread...

bunch of clowns...none of u have a clue...actin liek y'all are top military officials in the know...or luke u 1 of the elties runnign the country yourself...lmaooooo...so many idiots...

the book of daniel and the book of revelation...predicted what is happening right now...and those books were written thousands of years ago...

back in 2008...when i came into the truth, i predicted and even wrote down exactly what is happening right now...almost got down to the tee...

u clowns wont kno what hit u til dem missles are slapping u in ur face...

babylon will fall down.
  • _Ozymandias_
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's unlikely any politician will admit America is a dying empire. All Americans know we are one deep down though, so it really isn't necessary to admit this. 13 TRILLION dollars in debt is more than enough numbers that says America is going downhill eventually. It was a nice ride, but we can only bomb half the ? planet so much until we go bankrupt. Rome went down this road, Britain did, why wouldnt the USA?

We still have the most influence culturally and economically worldwide, but China is slowly taking our spot economically. The only thing that's saving the USA right now is the reality that most of China still looks like a 3rd world country with a population that eventually will run out of jobs.

I give the USA another 150 years before we enter second or 3rd world status.

yeah, I don't expect a pol to come out and literally say the American empire is declining, cause that would be political suicide. but i would like to hear someone say that it's time that the us ends it's imperial policies. why do we still have troops all over the world and why are we still investing public money in unneeded military technology when we can't afford either.

who is going to have the ? to say we are going to have to raise taxes, cut domestic spending, and cut DEFENSE SPENDING to get out of the debt/deficit crisis or we are going to reach 3rd world status sooner than 150 years.

i think china is aware of it's own population/employment problems. that's why they are heavily investing in south america and africa. where they are literally buying land for future "settlements". as their middle class starts to grow, they are going to expand their population beyond the chinese border. neo-colonialism. this won't solve all they're problems, but at least they are planning for the future. it seems like the people in power in america are content with where we're headed.
  • _Ozymandias_
    edited May 2010
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »

bunch of clowns...none of u have a clue...actin liek y'all are top military officials in the know...or luke u 1 of the elties runnign the country yourself...lmaooooo...so many idiots...

the book of daniel and the book of revelation...predicted what is happening right now...and those books were written thousands of years ago...

back in 2008...when i came into the truth, i predicted and even wrote down exactly what is happening right now...almost got down to the tee...

babylon will fall down.

so i take it you most be the messiah since you predicted the outcome of the world all the way back in 2008.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yeah, I don't expect a pol to come out and literally say the American empire is declining, cause that would be political suicide. but i would like to hear someone say that it's time that the us ends it's imperial policies. why do we still have troops all over the world and why are we still investing public money in unneeded military technology when we can't afford either.

who is going to have the ? to say we are going to have to raise taxes, cut domestic spending, and cut DEFENSE SPENDING to get out of the debt/deficit crisis or we are going to reach 3rd world status sooner than 150 years.

i think china is aware of it's own population/employment problems. that's why they are heavily investing in south america and africa. where they are literally buying land for future "settlements". as their middle class starts to grow, they are going to expand their population beyond the chinese border. neo-colonialism. this won't solve all they're problems, but at least they are planning for the future. it seems like the people in power in america are content with where we're headed.

You're right about the USA, it's a shame ALL of our politicians are too cowardly to admit this. Defense and some social cuts have to be made eventually, and higher taxes have to come sooner than later to realistically solve the debt crisis. ? Cheney said debts don't matter, but we now see they do, as hospitals and schools are shutting down in shocking numbers. Debts also mean the cost of living has to rise, since the dollar is now worth less in the world's eyes. Endless wars around the world are not helping either.....

China has tons of issues of its own but in the long term, their going to be in MUCH better shape than the USA. They save more than we do, and they're intelligent enough to know that butting in the business of the Middle East means only trouble. Americans are too stupid to realize this so far......Obama has been a disappointment in that he is no true progressive, and seems to not understand that our foreign policy is the reason we're so hated. Killing thousands of people in Pakistan, Iraq, and Afghanistan will not bring peace to the USA, lol......China knows this, and that's why I see China overtaking us power wise in roughly 150 years.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2010
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »

babylon will fall down.

I agree Babylon (the USA) will fall down hard some day, but when do you think the U.S. will fall? You're being very judgemental Nostradamus, perhaps you should enlighten us.

And where are these missle going to come from, China? Russia?
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited May 2010
    Options

what connections to china? can you point out this millitary connections?
  • Rafiki
    Rafiki Members Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Options
    If there is a War;
    -It won't just be N Korea vs US/SK... Russia, UK, USA, SK, France, Germany, to name a few will be involved in the fight against NK, but NK, will also have the help of Iran, and although N Korea may not have the means to send a Nuke to hit DC, Berlin, Moscow or Paris, Iran does, and they most likely will use that, if the threat becomes great enough.
    -In the case of a Nuclear War, the allied nations have developed non-nuclear bombs that emit no radiations, but still cause a blast as big or bigger, as the Russians did test one of theirs, and was only the third largest Internationally, back in 2006.
    -Spec Ops will most likely begin the war, much like the Bay of Pigs.
    -China doesn't want to get involved in any way, if they do, they will either be smothered by the UN, or likely that Iran/NK will use nukes against them for a "betrayal" type situation. Also the US doesn't want China to pick a side, given that China manufactures millions of tons of goods for the US annually, and that would instantly be cut off, if they side with NK. It would likely be cut off if they enter a war, as they'd have to shift from economical gain, towards

Trying to Avoid the war;
    -The Allied nations (UN Nations) are trying to find a solution to choke the N Korea's into their terms, without starting/causing a war. First by cutting off finances to NK, and the eventually will lead to NK being condemned. Whilst they are being condemned, it will be much like Cuba during the cold war, ships will be searched and in the event of weapons being transported, they will be confiscated or turned away. I doubt it will ever get to the point where the UN needs to shut off supplies such as food or amenities to NK.
    -No one wants a war, if anyone did, it would have started a long time ago, if not years ago, it would have started after it was confirmed that NK sunk the ship.
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2010
    Options
    busayo wrote: »
    what connections to china? can you point out this millitary connections?

China defended NK in the 1950s, why do you think America backed down in 1953? We didn't want Chinese troops getting involved, it would have been ugly and messy. They still have good relations, and have privately financed their missle programs, as any research online can prove for you.
  • busayo
    busayo Members Posts: 857
    edited May 2010
    Options
    China defended NK in the 1950s, why do you think America backed down in 1953? We didn't want Chinese troops getting involved, it would have been ugly and messy. They still have good relations, and have privately financed their missle programs, as any research online can prove for you.

proof china financed their missile program?

and why do you think the chinese would get involved in a war this time? you seem to be making assumptions here.
    china has places like tibet and taiwan to worry about. NK is last on that list of places china would fight for.
  • janklow
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You are VASTLY underrating North Korea's military.
    North Korea's military has shown its prowess in one war... and frankly, it was a war that their military got crushed in and had to be rescued by China from. i do suspect that a lot of what happens here is that since the military of NK is the only thing of note from that country, people hype it up.
    1) when you have a closed society that's that been force feed propaganda for 60 years that America is an evil empire that wants to destroy korean society than it's more reason to believe that they are going to fight hard for "dear leader" against an invading army from America.
    the issue i have is people acting as if every North Korean is in sync with those beliefs. when the Dear Leader pulled all his recent currency games, it's not like every North Korean gleefully went along with it. yes, their indoctrination is severe and it would be a ? war, but even that has its limits.
    2) doesn't have a stellar record? did you forget that from 1950-1953 a north korean army fought a brand new military superpower to a standstill.
    well, i didn't forget it, because that never happened. let me post my earlier time line of the Korean War:

-surprise NK attack against under-trained, under-supplied US/SK forces that barely hang on;
    -uh, bring in some US Marines or something;
    -NK forces apparently not as awesome as previously thought;
    -uh, bring in so very many Chinese troops;
    -end this war before Alan Alda's preaching makes us ? someone

the US they fought in 1950 wasn't a "brand-new military superpower" (even if we thought we were) and essentially beat NK once they recovered. CHINA is the nation that fought the US to a standstill. and honestly, i don't see them jumping in militarily if NK starts a war with SK by attacking them. i also don't think the US jumps in, but that's just me.
    and hasn't been attacked since.
    well, it wasn't attacked then either. but here's the thing: what else has the NK military done since 1953 besides posture? this is what i'm talking about regarding this non-stellar record.
    if you look at records, unfortunately, it's the US that's hasn't had much success in major wars since wwII (korea-draw, vietnam-lost, persian gulf-win, afghanistan-?, iraq-?)
    well, i disagree, in the following ways (and note that it depends on what you think the goal of the war is):

Korea: draw in that Korea was not unified, but successful in coming to the aid of South Korea; would have been a clear-cut "win" if China had been kept out of the war (blame MacArthur)
    Vietnam: militarily, we did not lose the war. when we left in 1973, South Vietnam was still its own nation. but we ? up politically and, frankly, when Truman let France keep it as a colony. THAT was the error. that said, yeah, we didn't "win," but not for military reasons
    Persian Gulf I: we agree, but honestly i was thinking you wouldn't count it as a major war
    Afghanistan: in terms of the war in 2002, we "won." in terms of trying to make Afghanistan a functioning country... not so much. but that's a political issue that you can't bomb your way to victory in, so, see what i said about Vietnam
    Iraq: again, in terms of the war in 2003, we "won." in terms of trying to make Iraq functioning country... well, it sort of functions. we'll see how it goes, i'd like to be optimistic

i think this boils down to "i am not afraid of North Korea's ability to fight the US, but i don't know what the ? the US would do to build a country there if we beat them in a war"
    3) in any war, outside forces share technology, intelligence, and limited manpower to help a particular side in the conflict that protects their interest. (ie China/USSR supporting nk in the korean war, US supporting the mujahideen in aghanistan in the 80's, iran supporting insurgent groups in iraq).
    i guess my theory is that i don't see China leaping to the aid of North Korea if North Korea out-and-out starts a war. even in 1950, they didn't leap to NK's aid until THEY felt threatened. i think if SK/the US could make it clear that the war was about nothing more than dealing with NK, it would be less of an issue than people think.

but again, i don't see China OR the US jumping into this conflict.
    Rome went down this road, Britain did, why wouldnt the USA? ... I give the USA another 150 years before we enter second or 3rd world status.
    when did Britain hit second or third world status?
    China defended NK in the 1950s, why do you think America backed down in 1953? We didn't want Chinese troops getting involved, it would have been ugly and messy.
    we didn't want Chinese troops getting involved? Chinese troops got involved in 1950, three years before the war ended. it's the reason the war LASTED until 1953.

if you weren't aware that China had troops in the war, i don't know what to think about the rest of this research online.
  • _Ozymandias_
    edited May 2010
    Options
    the issue i have is people acting as if every North Korean is in sync with those beliefs. when the Dear Leader pulled all his recent currency games, it's not like every North Korean gleefully went along with it. yes, their indoctrination is severe and it would be a ? war, but even that has its limits.

this is clearly speculation on both our parts to how hard the nk's would fight. my point is that most of the evidence of how that society works suggests that it would not be a cakewalk by the us like some in this thread have suggested. people saying a "million man army" is just a number is ridiculous. nk has the fourth largest army in the world with a very well established command-and-control that has been planing for this war since 1953, and there is no evidence to suggest that that army would not fight hard against a us-led invasion.
    well, i didn't forget it, because that never happened. let me post my earlier time line of the Korean War:

-surprise NK attack against under-trained, under-supplied US/SK forces that barely hang on;
    -uh, bring in some US Marines or something;
    -NK forces apparently not as awesome as previously thought;
    -uh, bring in so very many Chinese troops;
    -end this war before Alan Alda's preaching makes us ? someone

the US they fought in 1950 wasn't a "brand-new military superpower" (even if we thought we were) and essentially beat NK once they recovered. CHINA is the nation that fought the US to a standstill. and honestly, i don't see them jumping in militarily if NK starts a war with SK by attacking them. i also don't think the US jumps in, but that's just me.

you're right that china assiting the nk helped them win the war. the same way france assisting america in the revolutionary war helped us beat the british, and it was still a WIN for america. regardless, the outcome is that the two armies in the conflict on the korean peninsula fought to a standstill. and we can only speculate the amount of involvement of the us and china this time around but though i seriously doubt there will be any war at all, if war did break out in korea, there's no way the us and china would sit on the sidelines. because the strategic and geo-political ramifications for the world's two greatest powers would be too great(see previous posts).

so you would bascially have a re-hasing of the first korean war. which the fact still remains north korea and it's allies fought the us and it's allies to standstill. and you add in the fact that the us is now in a weaker position than we were 10-15 years ago then the probability that the us could conduct a successful war against north korea is less than it was in 1953.

so imo your argument that somehow the north korean army is overrated and wouldn't hold water to the us is implausible and irrelevant. cause basically IF south korea and north korea go to war, the us and china will have to get involved, and currently the china/nk alliance would be fighting from a greater position of strength while the sk/us alliance would be fighting from a position of weakness. which is one reason why there won't be any war.
    well, it wasn't attacked then either. but here's the thing: what else has the NK military done since 1953 besides posture? this is what i'm talking about regarding this non-stellar record.

clearly that one prior outcome and posturing has been enough to prevent any further military responses over the last 60 years despite constant agitation by the north koreans.
    well, i disagree, in the following ways (and note that it depends on what you think the goal of the war is):

Korea: draw in that Korea was not unified, but successful in coming to the aid of South Korea; would have been a clear-cut "win" if China had been kept out of the war (blame MacArthur)
    Vietnam: militarily, we did not lose the war. when we left in 1973, South Vietnam was still its own nation. but we ? up politically and, frankly, when Truman let France keep it as a colony. THAT was the error. that said, yeah, we didn't "win," but not for military reasons
    Persian Gulf I: we agree, but honestly i was thinking you wouldn't count it as a major war
    Afghanistan: in terms of the war in 2002, we "won." in terms of trying to make Afghanistan a functioning country... not so much. but that's a political issue that you can't bomb your way to victory in, so, see what i said about Vietnam
    Iraq: again, in terms of the war in 2003, we "won." in terms of trying to make Iraq functioning country... well, it sort of functions. we'll see how it goes, i'd like to be optimistic

i think this boils down to "i am not afraid of North Korea's ability to fight the US, but i don't know what the ? the US would do to build a country there if we beat them in a war"

sorry but the goal of a war is not open to opinion. in war each side has a strategic goal they're trying to achieve. if they achieve that goal it's a win. if they don't it's a loss.

korea: ok. so you agree it was a draw. neither side achieved their strategic goal.
    vietnam: no victory in war is about strictly achieving a military goal. you use the military and political means to achieve a strategic goal. the strategic goal of the vietnam war was to prevent communism from spreading into indochina. the us did not achieve that strategic goal. therefore we loss that war.
    persian gulf: i defiantly see it as major war. it had a great effect on america's geo-political and strategic positioning in the middle east
    afghanistan: i put a "?" because honestly i can't say what the strategic goal of the us is in afghanistan. it's it to root out the taliban? is it to set-up a functioning democracy? is it to capture al-qaeda leaders? is it to protect pakistan from falling to muslim extremists? i really don't know what our ultimate goal is in afghanistan.
    iraq: i put a "?" because it's too early to tell if it was a "win or "loss". the strategic goal of the us is to turn iraq into a functioning democracy that is closely allied with the us. if that happens it's a win. if not it's a loss.

i guess my theory is that i don't see China leaping to the aid of North Korea if North Korea out-and-out starts a war. even in 1950, they didn't leap to NK's aid until THEY felt threatened. i think if SK/the US could make it clear that the war was about nothing more than dealing with NK, it would be less of an issue than people think.

but again, i don't see China OR the US jumping into this conflict.

you really believe if the us went to war with nk and said to the chinese, "we promise this is just about north korea" than china would say,
    "ok, sure you can take out one of our major proxies in the world".
    "we don't care that after the war ends there will be us troops on the chinese border."
    "yeah the whole idea of america gaining more power in our strategic sphere of influence is cool with us."
    "and we have absolutely no problem with the perception of china conceding to allow the us to set up a democratic government on the entire korean pennisula would have in taiwan, hong kong, and parts of mainland china."

and north korea is not going to start an out-and-out war with south korea. if anything, nk would try and bait the south koreans to attack. which isn't going to happen.
  • janklow
    edited May 2010
    Options
    nk has the fourth largest army in the world with a very well established command-and-control that has been planing for this war since 1953, and there is no evidence to suggest that that army would not fight hard against a us-led invasion.
    you know, i recall the same thing being said about the Iraqi Army in 1991. there was a lot of talk about its size and prowess. i don't know how many more times i can point out that i never said the war would be easy, but at the same time, when you say "we've got a MILLION MAN ARMY that's spent the last 50 years doing nothing" ... i'm not sure what i am supposed to base their skills on. and the military fighting hard IS different than the nation fighting to the last man.
    you're right that china assiting the nk helped them win the war. the same way france assisting america in the revolutionary war helped us beat the british, and it was still a WIN for america. ... which the fact still remains north korea and it's allies fought the us and it's allies to standstill.
    there's a couple of problems here:
    -North Korea didn't "win" the war. we'll get to this quote later, but you say "in war each side has a strategic goal they're trying to achieve" and that determines victory. North Korea's goal was to take control of South Korea.
    -the China = France parallel doesn't work, mainly because the war post 1950 was basically SK/US/allies versus China. North Korea was not doing much of anything. now, i grant you that China and North Korea were a team, but given how people are trying to use this as "proof" of the might of the North Korean military ... no, just no. this is also not, for the record, some kind of praise for the military might of the US during the Revolutionary War.
    and you add in the fact that the us is now in a weaker position than we were 10-15 years ago then the probability that the us could conduct a successful war against north korea is less than it was in 1953.
    on the other hand, you're ignoring the fact that South Korea is in a much stronger position than they were at the time of the 1953 conflict.
    clearly that one prior outcome and posturing has been enough to prevent any further military responses over the last 60 years despite constant agitation by the north koreans.
    North Korea postures for effect and South Korea treats them like a child throwing a tantrum. but you're sitting here talking about how much weight the US and China lifted during that war AND telling me the world fears the military might of North Korea? the world respects the might of China. people are not impressed when they recall the military skills of North Korea.
    korea: ok. so you agree it was a draw. neither side achieved their strategic goal.
    vietnam: no victory in war is about strictly achieving a military goal. you use the military and political means to achieve a strategic goal. the strategic goal of the vietnam war was to prevent communism from spreading into indochina. the us did not achieve that strategic goal. therefore we loss that war.
    persian gulf: i defiantly see it as major war. it had a great effect on america's geo-political and strategic positioning in the middle east
    afghanistan: i put a "?" because honestly i can't say what the strategic goal of the us is in afghanistan. it's it to root out the taliban? is it to set-up a functioning democracy? is it to capture al-qaeda leaders? is it to protect pakistan from falling to muslim extremists? i really don't know what our ultimate goal is in afghanistan.
    iraq: i put a "?" because it's too early to tell if it was a "win or "loss". the strategic goal of the us is to turn iraq into a functioning democracy that is closely allied with the us. if that happens it's a win. if not it's a loss.
    Korea: i clearly don't agree, since the US and South Korea didn't start a war to conquer North Korea. we responded to help an ally.
    Vietnam: here's what i've said before: if the goal of the war was to stop a communist TAKEOVER of South Vietnam, then that goal was met. the US stopped fighting in 1973. South Vietnam fell in 1975. if you want to make it a cut-and-dry "if strategic goals are met" answer, then the goals were met.
    Persian Gulf I: well, i mean in terms of time. Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq... these have been much longer wars. but we're not really arguing this, i guess.
    Afghanistan/Iraq: we actually agree that these should be considered "incompletes" in terms of what the US is trying to do there. but there's also a clear difference between the wars that took place and what's going on now; Afghanistan is less clear-cut, but it's not like the insurgency in Iraq is the same thing as the Hussein government/military that was toppled.

part of my point here is that we've been talking about the military prowess of the nations. forget the political and social ? -ups of the US in these conflicts for the point of comparing the US' military to NK's. if we're talking about the US setting up a transition for NK to a real government after the war, well, it might not go well. but if we're talking about the US' ability to fight NK...
    you really believe if the us went to war with nk and said to the chinese, "we promise this is just about north korea" than china would say,
    "ok, sure you can take out one of our major proxies in the world".
    "we don't care that after the war ends there will be us troops on the chinese border."
    "yeah the whole idea of america gaining more power in our strategic sphere of influence is cool with us."
    "and we have absolutely no problem with the perception of china conceding to allow the us to set up a democratic government on the entire korean pennisula would have in taiwan, hong kong, and parts of mainland china."
    i don't believe it would be anywhere this simplistic and/or lack a give-and-take part of the equation.
  • Swiffness!
    edited May 2010
    Options
    China has tons of issues of its own but in the long term, their going to be in MUCH better shape than the USA.

Let's be real: we have NO ? CLUE what the world's gonna be like in 50 years, we can only guess and extrapolate. But we do know that people around the world still dream of coming to America, not China. They all watch our blockbuster movies, bump our music, eat our unhealthy fast food, and ? off to the fake ? AMERICANS INVENTED while surfing the internet AMERICANS ALSO INVENTED. China will never have that kind of status so long as they have their brutal, censorship-obsessed oligarchy that makes our Gov't look like the Star Trek Federation of Planets. And China's art & culture can't even ? with Japan's right now, much less the country that brought the world jazz, blues, rock, r&b, and.....
    They save more than we do

they said this about the Japanese in the 80s until the Japanese gov't started begging its people to "shop like Americans" to boost the stalled economy

and they're intelligent enough to know that butting in the business of the Middle East means only trouble.

surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre they doooooooo
    .......................lmfao, rofl

the Fallout games take place in a world where China and the U.S had a nuclear war over oil. Just sayin'....

Killing thousands of people in Pakistan, Iraq, and Afghanistan will not bring peace to the USA, lol......China knows this

oh man.......yes, CHINA knows that killing thousands of people doesn't bring peace................um, Tibet? Do you have any idea how many people have died in Darfur because of Chinese money, political support, and weapons? (hint: 200,000+) Do you have any idea how many Chinese have died in government Laogai prison camps? (hint: 20,000,000+)

They JUST DON'T GIVE A ? , period. That's why the pollution in China is toxic. That's why the Gobi Desert is expanding at an alarming rate. That's why a Chinese citizen can't type "Tiananmen Square protests" into a search engine without cops knocking on their door. That's why the U.S has 50-100 mining deaths a year and China has 4,000-7,000 mining deaths a year.
  • Swiffness!
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Rafiki wrote: »
    If there is a War;
    -It won't just be N Korea vs US/SK... Russia, UK, USA, SK, France, Germany, to name a few will be involved in the fight against NK, but NK, will also have the help of Iran, and although N Korea may not have the means to send a Nuke to hit DC, Berlin, Moscow or Paris, Iran does, and they most likely will use that, if the threat becomes great enough.

so

North Korea vs. Russia, UK, SK, France, Germany, Japan, and.........America.

Iran would join North Korea's side WHY again???

that's like you watching Bruce Lee, Mike Tyson, Fedor Emelianenko, and BATMAN jump somebody, then deciding "You know what? I think I'll fight Bruce Lee, Mike Tyson, Fedor Emelianenko, and ? Batman simultaneously. Yes, I am confident that will turn out well for me."
  • Swiffness!
    edited May 2010
    Options
    complete and utter pwnage of negroes who averaged a C- in history class

thank you good sir
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Let's be real: we have NO ? CLUE what the world's gonna be like in 50 years, we can only guess and extrapolate. But we do know that people around the world still dream of coming to America, not China. They all watch our blockbuster movies, bump our music, eat our unhealthy fast food, and ? off to the fake ? AMERICANS INVENTED while surfing the internet AMERICANS ALSO INVENTED. China will never have that kind of status so long as they have their brutal, censorship-obsessed oligarchy that makes our Gov't look like the Star Trek Federation of Planets. And China's art & culture can't even ? with Japan's right now, much less the country that brought the world jazz, blues, rock, r&b, and.....

they said this about the Japanese in the 80s until the Japanese gov't started begging its people to "shop like Americans" to boost the stalled economy

surrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre they doooooooo
    .......................lmfao, rofl

the Fallout games take place in a world where China and the U.S had a nuclear war over oil. Just sayin'....

oh man.......yes, CHINA knows that killing thousands of people doesn't bring peace................um, Tibet? Do you have any idea how many people have died in Darfur because of Chinese money, political support, and weapons? (hint: 200,000+) Do you have any idea how many Chinese have died in government Laogai prison camps? (hint: 20,000,000+)

They JUST DON'T GIVE A ? , period. That's why the pollution in China is toxic. That's why the Gobi Desert is expanding at an alarming rate. That's why a Chinese citizen can't type "Tiananmen Square protests" into a search engine without cops knocking on their door. That's why the U.S has 50-100 mining deaths a year and China has 4,000-7,000 mining deaths a year.

America still has much more credibility than China, I give you that. But you make an error in saying people don't want to immigrate to China....there are many Africans living in China right now. Many from other Asian nations as well. Not nearly as much as those who would want to immigrate to the USA, I give you that as well.

But you seem to discount the fact that China holds trillions of dollars of American debt, so China can't be something to just discount and ignore. If they are lending the USA money, they have leverage over us. Keep in mind also they are not bogged down in any wars CURRENTLY, although they have profited from the war in Darfur. Therefore, their military won't have to worry about being stretched too thin. Just ask yourself this question.....why the ? did the USA sign an armistice with North Korea?? Because we feared Chinese power, and still do in a way. North Korea blew up a SK submarine, and what is it that the USA and SK are doing now? BLAH BLAH BLAH.....don't ignore China's power, their more formiddable than you think.