Godzilla 2 Set For Release On June 8, 2018

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
godzilla-2-618x400.jpg

The sequel to Gareth Edwards’ monster hit will premiere in summer 2018

“Godzilla 2,” the sequel to Gareth Edwards‘ monster hit “Godzilla” has been set for a June 8, 2018 release date, Warner Bros and Legendary announced on Thursday.

Edwards’ “Godzilla” came out in May and grossed $491.3 million at the box office. It starred Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen and Bryan Cranston as well as the classic Japanese movie reptile, who was tasked with saving the world from two other monsters.

At Comic Con over the summer, Legendary CEO Thomas Tull told the Hall H crowd that the sequel will see Godzilla battle more classic foes like Mothra, Rodin and Ghidora.

Edwards is seguing to the “Godzilla” sequel after completing work on an untitled “Star Wars” spinoff film, which is set to be released in December 2016.

“First I genuinely need a break from all pressure of doing a major franchise with all fanboy opinions that go with that,” the director joked in a video message to Comic Con fans. “We're up here doing a small little sci-fi movie.”

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    infinite GOATs

Damn gotta wait 4 years though...

funny thing is, in 4 years ima be like damn this came quick
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still aint seen the first but heard it was good. Will check when it comes out. Thats a long ass time though lol.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? was so wack i didn't even finish the 1st one
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn 2018 tho??
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn 2018 tho??

I'm saying though...

66a_zpsovmgzyio.png
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    ? was so wack i didn't even finish the 1st one

• Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    8 june 2018?! Word? World cup football in Russia starts then lol

damnnn
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont want to see no human story. The last one was low key wack because of just that. More monsters, less humans
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The second instalment of the rebooted Godzilla franchise is moving along nicely as Max Borenstein confirmed this week that he’s returning to write the screenplay for the monster flick. It was also recently confirmed that Gareth Edwards would once again take the director’s chair.
    Rlu2G8rFVu9RrL6zE6emljX-E00EaUMegkBAnTihT5SMA8xukUNri3NXbG_tOb7-Kv-HNENuVu5GkLoSVHuaeN4s2dOOMwTyM3tSuuXyFgfNoE172XecrySc_xEGtl9EOC3dOxrX6ozeM0PK8-LIEZ10IAOmHQsoVfjf1GBn=w620-h397-nc
    They’ve proven themselves as a winning duo, as the first film managed to earn revenues of $524.9 million at the worldwide box office and was generally favoured by the critics. If there’s going to be a continuation, it may as well be with those who made it work the first time.

As far as the plot, not much is known but it’s expected to involve more of Godzilla’s classic foes from Project Monarch, including Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah.

As far as the human characters it’s highly unlikely that Bryan Cranston and Juliette Binoche can come back, so we’ll probably be introduced to a set of completely new protagonists and antagonists.

haHSiL4C--asDf8nC-FkU1TbVQCo8crIK93ipzY0G08u2UgFu5WpF6DQXDTMHMhLjNuH3sJxPArpE0wFKvgb6eLwdVnyGSjGOq6WSW2QAZNQ0Q=w676-h387-nc

It’s also possible that monster island will play a role. Edwards said back in July:

“I just love the idea of a monster island. Having a world with these creatures in it. I find that fascinating and would like to treat that realistically,” he explained. “I wouldn’t want to limit it to one other foe, I think it’s more fun to – this question will come back to haunt me if we ever do a sequel – but I think multiple creatures make better movies in terms of the image of Gojira.”
  • iron man1
    Options
    Will the writing actually allow us to see them more though? That teasing ? got kind of annoying but I understand they don't want to over expose the monsters either.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It kept ? me off how every time Godzilla and the male muto were about to throw down, they kept cutting away.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just seen the first. It was cool. I was having a good time watching it even tho it felt long as hell. I was nit picking at it but that made it fun. I was buzzing alil tho.
  • ojos_negros
    ojos_negros Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First one was poor, it was just..nothing..insipid,,there would have been people being killed by the thousands but there was no sense of consequence at these huge creatures rampaging about. There were some good moments but ? man it was disappointing..and son who played kickass..which I loved..was dreadful.

Ill hope for the sequel and I'm glad its happening but honestly I couldn't believe I was so unmoved by a monster/disaster movie
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • iron man1
    Options
    I hope they don't change Mothra and the other monsters origins too much. Rodan the closest one to Godzilla as far as age. Mothra and KGhidorah should be older.
  • Wu-Tang
    Wu-Tang Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Options
    This Godzilla was good compared to the other ones