Albums that "heads" think are classics but not you

Options

Comments

• semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    any album after the year 2001...hip hop hasnt seen a true classic since then
  • ShadyTeam
    ShadyTeam Members Posts: 4,894 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Reasonable doubt........isnt........

jay got popular and history got re-written

If Reasonable Doubt isn't a classic then Jay Z has no classics at all cos that is the clesest Album he has to being a classic
  • new account2
    new account2 Members Posts: 1,469
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ShadyTeam wrote: »
    If Reasonable Doubt isn't a classic then Jay Z has no classics at all cos that is the clesest Album he has to being a classic

Vol 2................ Blueprint
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Vol. 2.......... Hard Knock Life.
  • I'm THAT guy...
    I'm THAT guy... Members Posts: 2,544
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ShadyTeam wrote: »

You really believe that?, Blueprint is a classic
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    reasonable doubt isnt a classic. i dont give a ? what the "heddz" or jigga warriors say. reasonable doubt does not even rank up in the top 5 albums released in 96. and ? u jigga warriors too. u dudes are gonna march in here with some kind of fan fiction on how you bought RD the day it came out and been a jay z fan since 1996. if you have to go all out that far to make ur favorite rapper a credible legend you can collect your L on the way out the thread and all i have to say to that is get the ? outta here. Jay Z had no instant appeal when RD dropped. no one even knew his name because he was playing second banana to fox gettin his ? on in the aint no ? video. no one took jay z serious until he sold his soul in 1998. he was just a regional star if you even want to give him that much credit. i was in lafyette gardens from June-early aug 1996 then back again dec 96-jan 97. I remember IWW/heltah skeltah/busta rhymes/redman/lil kim and fox getting burn and buzz in the streets of brooklyn. no one was talking about reasonable doubt. that ? flew under the radar and that was in NY. ? reasonable doubt. that was the summer of crossroads and all eyes on me. and that was the winter of muddy waters and ironman. u ? are ? nuts. aint no ? way none of u ? on the IC is gonna tell me jay z dropped a classic that year.jay z wasnt ? in 1996 neither was his ? boring ass debut album. it took a year for the album to go gold and didnt reach plat until 2001. this RD being a classic ? didnt start until the time of his beef with Nas and they needed something to compete with illmatic. RD boring sappy production, garbage rhymes, ? poor debut album. 1/5 in my lifetime is the only jawn that saves this album and that came out in 1995. smh.

real jay z fans know that his crowning acheivement was the vol 1 album. the city is mine, a million and one, rap game ? game, who ya wit, sunshine are classic bangers showcasing Jay Z at his finest and the Streets Is Watching sdtk is Jay Z pushing his skills to the max before he sold out later that year
  • jjswipe
    jjswipe Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Reasonable doubt (but havent listened to it enough to judge, but never cared to either)
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Suicidal thoughts and gimme the loot left off? Wow first time I ever heard that

Word me too those were too of the standouts too me

I would say dogg food by the dogg pound good album but not certified classic death row was on a run 3 straight classic albums before that.
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    anything by ghost solo
  • isayas
    edited June 2010
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    reasonable doubt isnt a classic. i dont give a ? what the "heddz" or jigga warriors say. reasonable doubt does not even rank up in the top 5 albums released in 96. and ? u jigga warriors too. u dudes are gonna march in here with some kind of fan fiction on how you bought RD the day it came out and been a jay z fan since 1996. if you have to go all out that far to make ur favorite rapper a credible legend you can collect your L on the way out the thread and all i have to say to that is get the ? outta here. Jay Z had no instant appeal when RD dropped. no one even knew his name because he was playing second banana to fox gettin his ? on in the aint no ? video. no one took jay z serious until he sold his soul in 1998. he was just a regional star if you even want to give him that much credit. i was in lafyette gardens from June-early aug 1996 then back again dec 96-jan 97. I remember IWW/heltah skeltah/busta rhymes/redman/lil kim and fox getting burn and buzz in the streets of brooklyn. no one was talking about reasonable doubt. that ? flew under the radar and that was in NY. ? reasonable doubt. that was the summer of crossroads and all eyes on me. and that was the winter of muddy waters and ironman. u ? are ? nuts. aint no ? way none of u ? on the IC is gonna tell me jay z dropped a classic that year.jay z wasnt ? in 1996 neither was his ? boring ass debut album. it took a year for the album to go gold and didnt reach plat until 2001. this RD being a classic ? didnt start until the time of his beef with Nas and they needed something to compete with illmatic. RD boring sappy production, garbage rhymes, ? poor debut album. 1/5 in my lifetime is the only jawn that saves this album and that came out in 1995. smh.

real jay z fans know that his crowning acheivement was the vol 1 album. the city is mine, a million and one, rap game ? game, who ya wit, sunshine are classic bangers showcasing Jay Z at his finest and the Streets Is Watching sdtk is Jay Z pushing his skills to the max before he sold out later that year

I agree with half of this post. Vol. 1 was dumb crazy.
  • jjswipe
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Me against the world (i'm a big 'pac fan, but....)
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The Aquemini thing bothers me. I though that was one of like only 5 albums in Hip Hop that everyone thought was an undeniable classic. Hey to each his own
  • jjswipe
    edited June 2010
    Options
    isayas wrote: »
    i agree with half of this post. Vol. 1 was dumb crazy.

yeah, vol 1 is definetly a classic. His best work in my opinion. And the only reason i got to hear it was because my sister bought his cd for the only garbage song on the album "i know what girls like", and after the album kept playing, i walk in her room and i'm like, "who's this?"
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    isayas wrote: »
    Vol. 2.......... Hard Knock Life.

I was really feelin Vol. 2
  • new account2
    new account2 Members Posts: 1,469
    edited June 2010
    Options

you got some good points in there.......funny post tho........

tried tellin nggas in the other thread....RD is aight........wasnt no classic tho
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

Very interesting till you said "boring sappy production, garbage rhymes, ? poor debut album"...... you really have to explain yourself after those statements cause everything you said before that automatically is up for investigation
  • isayas
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I was really feelin Vol. 2

Just jokin'. I'm tryin' to get Newaccount2 upset. Vol. 2 was crazy, but then again, all Jay-Z's albums are.
  • InMyLifeTime91
    InMyLifeTime91 Members Posts: 1,289
    edited June 2010
    Options
    this a good thread but most of yall r reachin... lol.. ima say "Lupe's The Cool" is overrated.
    one classic album that gets no recognition is Twista "Adrenaline Rush"...
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

The best post in the thread.
  • Talk_Of_NY
    Talk_Of_NY Members Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    some of u guys r dumb as rocks

Get rich or die tryin & Stillmatic are certified classics, in fact THEM ALBUMS WERE BORN CLASSIC
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    onepunch wrote: »
    Biggie - ready to die
    Great album but about two songs short of classic..suicidal thoughts and gimme the loot could have been left off.

OH HELLLLL NAWWWWW......IMO these two songs make it a classic!!!!!! These were two of the hardest songs Biggie ever made!!!
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yroholla wrote: »
    Very interesting till you said "boring sappy production, garbage rhymes, ? poor debut album"...... you really have to explain yourself after those statements cause everything you said before that automatically is up for investigation

the album was boring and forgettable. Jay z flow accounts for most of the fail because he barely rode these beats. he was still ironing out his fu schnickens flow. ? plays catch up on every 3-4 bars with a run on line. the album starts to sound like a guy doing his best bone impersonation. the subject matter is tired and rehashed even for 90s hip hop. especially since OB4CL and even Trigga/Smoothe were more introspective and cinematic with their albums about the drug game which came before RD. Jay Z wasnt saying nothing new or witty. the production is bland it sounded like a throwaway beat tape of tracks that didnt make illadelphiahalife. the music and jay z does not reach me like it did on vol 1 and siw sdtk.

here is another reason why i know RD was boring then and now. i lived for friday midnights when yo mtv raps would come on in 95-96. my vcr was always on ready with a tape. they went super dumb ? hard with the videos one night. shadowboxing, get money, lets play house, cowboys, world is a ghetto, funkorama, woo haw remix, loungin remix, hay in the middle of the barn. my tape was stacked until it got to the cant knock the hustle video. man i put that ? on pause and had to sit through that ? . that song would always put me to sleep and it did. next thing i know headbangers ball is on and my dad screaming at me about falling a sleep with the stereo, tv and lights on lol. ? jay z
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

Where i was from in addition to all the rappers you say Jay-Z was bangin too. You are tellin the truth that NOBODY knew who Jay was when RD came out cuz i put a lot of ? on with that ? but i have to disagree and say that RD is timeless. Its replay value is still high to this day IMO. But i totally agree with you that a lot of ? don't give credit to Vol 1 and u didn't even mention "where i'm from", "streets is watching" "imaginary players." Also good doin your homework on the Streets Is Watching soundtrack that stays in my collection. You're only a customer, Murdergram, and Celebration were CRAZY bangers.

But a lot of u cats are trippin on what yall don't think are classics but to each is own. But if i had to pick one i would probably say Lupe Food & Liquor.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Well I love reasonable doubt I think it's his best work, and the only time he came close was the black album.Reasonable Doubt is a cinematic tale of a street hustler, how he came up, what he did, what this kind of living is like, all the way until he retired, sat back and contemplated all of the things he did. I've never scene him with te lyricsm that he had on this cd, and the hunger. Definitely a hip hop classic, his all time bet song dead presidents 2 is on here.

I didn't really like vol 1. Btw.....
  • isayas
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Well I love reasonable doubt I think it's his best work, and the only time he came close was the black album.Reasonable Doubt is a cinematic tale of a street hustler, how he came up, what he did, what this kind of living is like, all the way until he retired, sat back and contemplated all of the things he did. I've never scene him with te lyricsm that he had on this cd, and the hunger. Definitely a hip hop classic, his all time bet song dead presidents 2 is on here.

I didn't really like vol 1. Btw.....

*In Budden's voice* WACK, WACK, WACK, WACK.