Interesting: When people think of blacks, they think of men; of Asians, they think of women

Options
A Talented One
A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
Previous research from the perspective of gendered race theory has demonstrated that stereotypes about race often contain a gendered component, whereby certain racial and ethnic groups are stereotyped as more masculine or feminine. In particular, in North American contexts, Blacks tend to be associated with masculinity, while Asians tend to be associated with femininity. In this paper we present the hypothesis that Asian men and Black women are deemed less prototypical of their overarching racial groups due to the mismatch between their identities and gendered race stereotypes. First, we show evidence demonstrating that Asian men face invisibility at the cognitive level, consistent with previous theory and research related to Black women (Study 1). Second, we present direct evidence that participants are more likely to imagine a man when thinking of a Black individual and less likely to think of a man when imagining an Asian individual, relative to the frequency of Whites (Study 2). Overall, our results support the hypothesis that Asian men and Black women are viewed as less prototypical of their race categories. We discuss implications and future directions for work on intersectionality and gendered race theory.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103114001486

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is little JJ-ish
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You live in a Era where people define reality regardless if it's true or not based on the individual level. Hence, whites get mad being known as conquerors and slavers.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Makes sense
    Surprised I never noticed this before

What are the implications of this though?
    How does this translate to real world effects, in the workplace or elsewhere?
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You live in a Era where people define reality regardless if it's true or not based on the individual level. Hence, whites get mad being known as conquerors and slavers.

conqueror doesnt even sound that bad tho

damn@the study saying asian men face invisibility on a cognitive level, imo strong individuals and especially actors like bruce lee, jackie chan jet li etc.. formed a good image of asian men for the masses

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »

conqueror doesnt even sound that bad tho

damn@the study saying asian men face invisibility on a cognitive level, imo strong individuals and especially actors like bruce lee, jackie chan jet li etc.. formed a good image of asian men for the masses

Add Tony Jaa, Donnie Yen, Sonny Chiba, and Ken Watanabe too
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Makes sense

Poverty levels and ? infection rates among blk women have been ignored for the most part thus the upward trends
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well, "interesting" might be too strong of a word.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I think of this thread, I think of ? .
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all racist as ? ...
    What about Bruce Lee? Lol
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Asian , oriental or indo?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Makes sense

Poverty levels and ? infection rates among blk women have been ignored for the most part thus the upward trends

? infection rates ignored? Nah, only thing they ever report when it comes to ? is Black rates for both men and women.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Asian , oriental or indo?

What's the difference between Asian and oriental?

Anyway, I don't think they mean South Asians, but Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Makes sense

I think that given that blackness is associated with all kinds of bad things, it means that black men get the full brunt of racism, unlike black women.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Owning hundreds of Kung fu movies I ve noticed that females get the exact same treatment as males
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Makes sense

I think that given that blackness is associated with all kinds of bad things, it means that black men get the full brunt of racism, unlike black women.

But Black women are not excluded from the racial group
    It would seem that the properties considered "Black" are just considered more masculine

If anything it would seem that comment referring to Serena and Venus as dudes makes more sense how this affects them

Maybe i'm off, but there are areas where Black women can be shown undoubtedly to experience similar discrimination
    They do more time than their White counterparts for the same crimes and face some of the same employment problems
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You know, it's interesting how Blackness is so closely associated with masculinity, yet Black Women are fetishized as much if not more than Asian women..
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Makes sense

can you cut this shot the ? out black women are not the enemy
  • A Talented One
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Makes sense

But Black women are not excluded from the racial group
    It would seem that the properties considered "Black" are just considered more masculine

If anything it would seem that comment referring to Serena and Venus as dudes makes more sense how this affects them

Maybe i'm off, but there are areas where Black women can be shown undoubtedly to experience similar discrimination
    They do more time than their White counterparts for the same crimes and face some of the same employment problems

Smh. I'm not saying that black women aren't discriminated against/are treated equally to white people. Just that the racism/discrimination they face is not as bad as the racism/discrimination black men face.

And that makes sense. After all, if people have negative attitudes to the black racial group, but when they think of blacks it's black men that they more often think of, that would suggest that black men get the full force of these negative attitudes, but that the same thing cannot be said of black women.

And it's a fact that black women are more acceptable to the mainstream than black men.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    Makes sense

can you cut this shot the ? out black women are not the enemy

Man, how can you interpret that as saying that black women are the enemy?

I don't think black women are the enemy, and nothing I've ever said in criticism of them in other threads was meant to suggest that I think they are the enemy.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    You know, it's interesting how Blackness is so closely associated with masculinity, yet Black Women are fetishized as much if not more than Asian women..

I think Asian women are more fetishized.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »

I think Asian women are more fetishized.

Well, maybe fetishized isn't quite synonymous with lusted..