NFL Twitter Fails-New England Patriots Racist tweet

Options

Comments

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2012/04/27/racist_reaction_to_finale_tarnishes_bruins_run/
    Pioneers of racial tolerance in sports, the Boston Bruins in 1958 became the first National Hockey League team to sign an African-American player, making Willie O’Ree the Jackie Robinson of hockey.

Yet they found themselves Thursday addressing hateful racist commentary circulated by Bruins fans and others on social media after Joel Ward, a black forward for the Washington Capitals, scored the winning goal in overtime of Game 7 in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs Wednesday at TD Garden.

In an episode that has renewed the conversation about racism in sports and society, the Bruins had barely finished shaking Ward’s hand and saluting their fans from the Garden ice after the game when Ward was targeted with scores of racist posts on Twitter.

The Bruins, Capitals, and NHL immediately condemned the commentary, but the damage was done, as media outlets across the country once again raised questions about Boston’s turbulent racial history, although it was unclear how many of the comments actually came from Boston.

“This kind of emotional and ugly response to a very unfortunate loss rekindles the discussion about what we need to go through, healing the racial divide in America,’’ said Harvard Law professor Charles Ogletree, director of the school’s institute for race and justice. “If we don’t deal with this, we’re going to have a hard time moving forward.’’

Ward generally downplayed the racial slurs, telling USA Today they were “shocking to see, but it didn’t ruin my day.’’

“It didn’t faze me at all,’’ Ward said. “We won, and we are moving on.’’

racist1_original.jpg?1335462753
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huey_C wrote: »
    DillaDeaf wrote: »
    The top 10 voted most racist states are all in the south

Boston's not a state so...

Sure the most racist cities reside in the most racist states....

With that logic, Alaska should have the biggest cities since it's the biggest state.

Not talking about land mass, more so an intangible ignorant thought process. Southern cities are rampant with bigots who would die for their confederate flags. No surprise that these racist bigoted cities are found within these racist southern states

Dude, I've lived in both North and South USA, has bad the history the south has, now that I'm older, I realized the North is more heavily racist than the South in a lot of areas. Boston is one of the most racist cities up north, it's an heavily Irish town, so that ? to be expected.

So going by personal experiences I never been called a ? until I moved down to the southern region of the US. Never seen confederate flags displayed on the porch and windows of homes until I visited Athens. We are talking perspectives at this point.

I'm from Detroit, and been called ? in Detroit, ? even been dissed in Canada across the river at times. Yes, the South is heavily racist at times ----BUT here's the key. The south is overt, meaning what you see is what you get. There's no ? , it's straight to the point. that why alot of us get along in the South regardless of the racism ? . In the North, it's COVERT, meaning folks hid that ? and it breeds more distrust and that racism the most heavy and prevalent racism in most of the USA, north included. Boston had a stranglehold on it -- the best example was the Willie Horton attack ad.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's Boston. Why are we suprised?
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2012/04/27/racist_reaction_to_finale_tarnishes_bruins_run/
    Pioneers of racial tolerance in sports, the Boston Bruins in 1958 became the first National Hockey League team to sign an African-American player, making Willie O’Ree the Jackie Robinson of hockey.

Yet they found themselves Thursday addressing hateful racist commentary circulated by Bruins fans and others on social media after Joel Ward, a black forward for the Washington Capitals, scored the winning goal in overtime of Game 7 in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs Wednesday at TD Garden.

In an episode that has renewed the conversation about racism in sports and society, the Bruins had barely finished shaking Ward’s hand and saluting their fans from the Garden ice after the game when Ward was targeted with scores of racist posts on Twitter.

The Bruins, Capitals, and NHL immediately condemned the commentary, but the damage was done, as media outlets across the country once again raised questions about Boston’s turbulent racial history, although it was unclear how many of the comments actually came from Boston.

“This kind of emotional and ugly response to a very unfortunate loss rekindles the discussion about what we need to go through, healing the racial divide in America,’’ said Harvard Law professor Charles Ogletree, director of the school’s institute for race and justice. “If we don’t deal with this, we’re going to have a hard time moving forward.’’

Ward generally downplayed the racial slurs, telling USA Today they were “shocking to see, but it didn’t ruin my day.’’

“It didn’t faze me at all,’’ Ward said. “We won, and we are moving on.’’

racist1_original.jpg?1335462753

Racist tweets by fans if a sports team, , it states in the article that aren't even sure if a majority of those people reside in Boston.
  • Huey_C
    Options
    image16.png
    Boston youth attempts to spear a black Yale-educated attorney with an American flag during riots in 1976 spurred on by the court-ordered desegregation of public school busing.
    A history of racism just like a plethora of major American cities
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqj1256jxqS3A5KO-4imPi31IcHHopySET2oLHpYkPh7FLYybMqAChicago_Race_Riot_1919_stoning.png
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    image16.png
    Boston youth attempts to spear a black Yale-educated attorney with an American flag during riots in 1976 spurred on by the court-ordered desegregation of public school busing.

Right, but my point is Boston's legacy of racism is on par with some of the the worst down south.
  • Huey_C
    Options
    image16.png

Right, but my point is Boston's legacy of racism is on par with some of the the worst down south.

My point being that folks are stuck in the past in regards to the racism which one plagued my city. Boston has done a major turn around since then. You would be surprised by the diversity, it's no longer an Irish rest haven.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even their basketball team is called the Celtics, which literally translates to "the Crakkkas"

Bruh what the ? is this?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I didnt even read the OP just skimmed through these last few post..

Its ridiculous to cite graphs and charts for unquantifiable ? such as where it is the most racist..

all these cities have white people correct..

well there you ? have it.... there is no perfect metric for a racism detection.. its stupid .. of course there are places you would rather not be but if you think you going to the "50th most racist state" and there is a utopia you are msitaken..
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »
    I don't know about all the functions on twiiter, but it's likely they had some setting/written program that was made to automatically assign the name to the pic, and tweet the 1millionth follower.

The person who did this, probably knew it was set up like this, and spammed to be the one millionth follower on purpose.

In short, it's highly possible/probable someone with inside knowledge did this on purpose, ro it could be a coincidence.

They sent out a tweet to a million followers with a jersey and their name on the back not just this clown, if ànything twitter should apologize for not deleting that account

I know, just bad wording on my part. By "tweet the 1millionth follower", I meant that as in they tweeted his name out to everyone else.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont see why Espn or any other channel talking about this???but they can talk about adrian peterson and his spanking his child incident tho
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Nahhh Boston fans ain't racist. They just get a bad rap.

shaq-face-3.jpg

Nah it's just the white ones.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even their basketball team is called the Celtics, which literally translates to "the Crakkkas"

Bruh what the ? is this?

Celtics was synomous with being the "white mans" team.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i mean its a 2 way street when it comes to boston and i live up here in ct and have fam and have spent summers with my grand parents in mass

my dad moved from the 757 VA area in the south at age 7 to massachusetts and they faced more racism in the greater boston area than they did experience more racism in Virginia. but boston is equally racist across all faiths gender and nationalities/races. The irish hate itilians just as much as they hate black folk or asian folk or hispanic folk etc.

at the same time i mean racism is everywhere but still there is something about racism in boston that is slick and smooth and very irritating.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    image16.png

My point being that folks are stuck in the past in regards to the racism which one plagued my city. Boston has done a major turn around since then. You would be surprised by the diversity, it's no longer an Irish rest haven.

Foh Toby
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BDBIID wrote: »
    Yea they got trolled, yall mufuckas never been to Boston yet want to call it racist. Every city in the US has some sort of racist history that they would want the masses to forget about.

Been to to Boston plenty times. ? is racist as ? . The racism can be tasted in the water up there.

Was it "White's Only" water?
  • suzyscrew
    suzyscrew Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Debating which region is most racist is pointless; they're both racist. The main difference is the concentration of black people around. If you're a white racist in ny and you're the minority, you'd have a death wish to be overt, right? However, in north ga where there aren't many black people, you'll see more blatant racist acts. It's all because most racists are cowards. Even down south, I have never seen a confederate flag waving truck riding through the city of Atl.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    suzyscrew wrote: »
    Debating which region is most racist is pointless; they're both racist. The main difference is the concentration of black people around. If you're a white racist in ny and you're the minority, you'd have a death wish to be overt, right? However, in north ga where there aren't many black people, you'll see more blatant racist acts. It's all because most racists are cowards. Even down south, I have never seen a confederate flag waving truck riding through the city of Atl.

Agree with this but the one year I lived in the south I seen more confederate flags than I have living in the boston area my whole life
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://deadspin.com/5942197/the-five-most-racist-cities-in-america
    1. Birmingham. I have never been to Birmingham, but I knew I needed a Southern representative, and that the Southern representative would probably deserve to top this list. I verified Birmingham with Spencer Hall. He said, "We're talking about operant racism? So…Birmingham." Birmingham it is.

2. Boston. Of course, Boston has to be near the top of this list. I actually knew a handful of people from Quincy, Mass. One of them referred to black people as "colored" people. And it wasn't an innocent thing. I think he genuinely liked how it sounded when he said it.

3. Phoenix. Lots of old people in Phoenix. Old people are crazy racist. And not only are old people racist, but old people have ACQUIRED RACISM. They may not start out life racist. They don't even have to have racist parents. But then, one day, they get rear-ended by an Asian lady in the parking lot and now they hate ALL Asians. Acquired racism is the most dangerous racism of all, because those are people who believe they have facts backing up their prejudices. Also, gun nuts and bikers are here.

I also wanted to include Los Angeles on this list because LA has the whole immigrant issue, along with ? skatepark kids who love to casually drop the N-bomb because they think it sounds cool. Those N-bombs that Quentin Tarantino personally drops in Pulp Fiction are the perfect example. There really are racist little ? like that in LA.

4. New York. This counts the entire metropolitan area, which means you have a healthy combination of Upper East Side socialites who fear minorities and the obvious goomba Sal's Famous Pizzeria worker faction. Two kinds of racism for your dollar.

5. Cincinnati. Like Geoff said, riots.

Lol@ 2 and 3
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've said it before, I'll say it again... Any place populated with white people is racist as ?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Alot of race mixing from what I see here on Boston and our governor is black, but we do have racist overtones and stigmas but it ain't so much worse than your town.

I'll occasional walk by an old white ? that whispers under her breath "I remember when this was a nice place to live now its filled with all these "other" people", and the ? who hate seeing the sight of other blacks, and worship the white mans feet.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've said it before, I'll say it again... Any place populated with white people is racist as ?

Stop making sense.
  • s-dot
    s-dot Members Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Options
    Was there not a story this year or last about the KKK having a demonstration in downtown Atlanta?

downtown Atlanta!