14-Year-Old Nigerian Girl, Sentenced To Death For Murdering 35 Year-Old Husband

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
n-GEZAWA-large570.jpg

KANO, Nigeria (AP) — The father of a 14-year-old child bride accused of murdering her husband said Thursday he was appealing to a Nigerian court to spare his daughter the death sentence.

Wasilat Tasi'u is on trial for the murder of her 35-year-old husband, Umar Sani, who died after eating food that Tasi'u allegedly laced with rat poison.

"We are appealing to the judge to consider Wasilat's plea," her father, Isyaku Tasi'u, told The Associated Press on Thursday.

On Wednesday witnesses told the High Court in Gezawa, a town 60 miles outside Nigeria's second largest city of Kano, that Tasi'u killed her husband two weeks after their wedding in April. Three others allegedly died after eating the poisoned meal.

The prosecution, led by Lamido Soron-Dinki, senior state council from the Kano State Ministry of Justice, is seeking the death penalty.

The case calls into question the legality of trying a 14-year-old for murder under criminal law and the rights of child brides, who are common in the poverty-stricken, predominantly Muslim northern Nigeria region.

"She was married to a man that she didn't love. She protested but her parents forced her to marry him," Zubeida Nagee, a women's rights activist in Kano, told AP. Nagee and other activists have written a letter of protest to the Kano state deputy governor.

Nagee said Tasi'u was a victim of systematic abuse endured by millions of girls in the region. Activists say the blend of traditional customs, Islamic law and Nigeria's constitutional law poses a challenge when advocating for the rights of young girls in Nigeria.

Justice Mohammed Yahaya adjourned the court until December 22. Tasi'u is in state juvenile custody.

Comments

• dakidfrankie
    dakidfrankie Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? is gross... And sad that they still marry them lil children off like that
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? him. We need yo be past if she starts bleeding let's marry her off. She still needs to develop and actualize as an adult.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    ? Africans

Shut ya hindu ass up ? .
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    ? Africans

Shut ya hindu ass up ? .

Bout I'm not

Plus

Take off the cape for this ? ? bruh.

? happen to often in those places.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smmfh @ the lawyers in nigeria wearing those ? ass wigs that the UK uses.... time to depart from the shameless emulation of European customs for real...
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    ? Africans

Shut ya hindu ass up ? .

Very few things I hate in life then Indian so let me say that.

You basically saying its ok because they black?
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »
    Smmfh @ the lawyers in nigeria wearing those ? ass wigs that the UK uses.... time to depart from the shameless emulation of European customs for real...

Europeans still marrying off children and putting them to death?

? the wig, Im concerned about the injustice perpetuated by those wearing them.

Put this little girl's picture on the local currency - wait...little girl's ARE currency in these ? places - sick ? .
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    ? really flagging me cuz some ? AFRICANS did.

If some ASIANS did it I would have said
    ? Asians

Jewish
    ? Jews

Naw. Since they Africans I can't say that.

You ? is lost y'all basically cosigning the ? .

? Americans
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    n-GEZAWA-large570.jpg

KANO, Nigeria (AP) — The father of a 14-year-old child bride accused of murdering her husband said Thursday he was appealing to a Nigerian court to spare his daughter the death sentence.

WTF???

His daughter wouldn't have even been in that situation if he hadn't married her off............AT 14!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the daughter would be ok if she had just killed her husband........but it's the other 3 people she killed that's gonna get her the death penalty.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She's a G and I hope somebody gets her freedom.

? that nasty ? .
  • bigbird_1
    bigbird_1 Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ol boy kinda looks like a grown up version of this kid
    frabz-49eafd.jpg
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where the black militants at to excuse this type of behavior?
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't know Nigeria was this antiquated
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't know Nigeria was this antiquated

It is bruh.. .

But in some parts . ..
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not surprised, it's Islam if Aisha could marry Muhammad at 9 why should this teenager not get married off.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when I was living back in Nigeria over a decade ago.. .

There was an incident that happened via journalistic liberalism so to speak. .

The Islamic sharia law had been introduced in some of the Northern states which are predominantly filled up with Muslims. .

A female journalist (Christian born) living South-west (Lagos) wrote an article in a newspaper where she stated something about Muhammad looking lustily at a model wearing a bikini and marrying her..

Hell erupted after that article hit the news stands and there was calls for her to be put to death if seen by Islamic fanatics. She escaped the country. Don't know if she ever returned..
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No words.

? marrying n ? kids. Smh, ? disgust. I hope he died a slow n painful death.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hate muslims.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So why she didn't ? her parents too ?

If anything, they arranged that ? .
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    I remember when I was living back in Nigeria over a decade ago.. .

There was an incident that happened via journalistic liberalism so to speak. .

The Islamic sharia law had been introduced in some of the Northern states which are predominantly filled up with Muslims. .

A female journalist (Christian born) living South-west (Lagos) wrote an article in a newspaper where she stated something about Muhammad looking lustily at a model wearing a bikini and marrying her..

Hell erupted after that article hit the news stands and there was calls for her to be put to death if seen by Islamic fanatics. She escaped the country. Don't know if she ever returned..

I believe that woman wrote an article just before Nigeria was going to host the Miss World competition and it was near Ramadan, saying something to the effect of Muhammad would be ? these women or something.

It was an unneccessary comment/article to write especially with the Muslim holy month about to begin, so she gets no sympathy from me