thank me later vs. recovery

Options
lil 'a
lil 'a Members Posts: 31
edited October 2010 in The Face Off Forum
wich one did yall think was better?
i have heard people call drakes album a classic,, but what about recovery,,
is it better than thank me later?

And what will their first weeks numbers be?

thank me later is dropping june 15th

recovery the 22th

Comments

• Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Thank Me Later is a the far better Album. Drake proved the doubters wrong with his album, meanwhile Eminem still has a lot to prove about himself.

I agree with this.

Thank Me Later is clearly the more cohesive album. It's far more multi-layered, diverse, and the production is hot.

Everything from the lyrics to the production on Recovery is subpar.
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Time for an objective opinion.

Drake's album isn't a classic...you cant judge those things until years have passed. It's a solid album with great production and features, if mediocre/redundant on the lyrical side. The RnB/rapping thing is up to preference. Me, I don't really care for it...solid B/B+ album tough.

Recovery has diverse production, and naturally on-point lyricism from em...maybe 1 or 2 suspect tracks (Seduction and Won't Back Down) but otherwise a great album, provided it isn't a double disc as rumored (if so, then this analysis is void until the second disc is leaked/bought/listened to). I'd say it ? on encore and relapse and falls somewhere between MMLP and TES. A-/A

As for sales....I used to say 200K+ but it seems like all these people I know who never bought a CD in their life are going out especially to support drake because he apparently is larger than hip hop...or some ? like that. So more like 450K I guess. Em's gonna do em numbers, 600 - 700K first week.
  • DaPrinciplez
    DaPrinciplez Members Posts: 1,148
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I noticed that Eminem's song just began to sound the same after about 3. It's like how many times can you cry about Proof, your fame, and how ? your last albums were?

You ? me up bro.
    I don't honestly believe your serious.....

I mean what rapper today makes an album where every song is on some different ? .
    And when it is, people complain about it lackin a cohesive theme. Never happy ? .

I haven't heard Drakes album. I've had Recovery on repeat the last 3 days, I'm still tryin to really work out how I feel about it.
    I'm not downloadin Drakes album (download limit) so until I get my hands on it, I can't really compare the 2.
  • ShadyTeam
    ShadyTeam Members Posts: 4,894 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Recovery is a great Album and i been playing it on repeat for the past few day's, it's Lyrically amazing and the content is deep with nice Production

Obviously it will out sell Thank Me Later i can see REcovery pushing close to a Million in the first week
  • DaPrinciplez
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ShadyTeam wrote: »
    Recovery is a great Album and i been playing it on repeat for the past few day's, it's Lyrically amazing and the content is deep with nice Production

Obviously it will out sell Thank Me Later i can see REcovery pushing close to a Million in the first week

Why did you not mention anything about Thank Me Later???
    Have you even listened to it or did you just want to come in and tell us how you think Recovery is great?
  • ShadyTeam
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Why did you not mention anything about Thank Me Later???
    Have you even listened to it or did you just want to come in and tell us how you think Recovery is great?

I downloaded and my thoughts were if it's a quality Album i will buy it but i didn't want to cos for me it lacks replay value and isn't an album that is really good or stands out
  • DaPrinciplez
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Download Limit with who? I can get you the album on a different filehost if you want brother. I'm all for the people and sharing good music, which is what Drizzy made with his album.

Australian network provider bro, I think it goes by the month so I'll have to wait for the month to be up before I can download anythin else (was already over my limit when I downloaded Recovery) and by that time the album should be in stores so its all good. Appreciate the thought though. I would but my nets so slow right now, it's killin me, let alone th extra dollars I'm goin to have to pay for goin over my limit. SMH.
  • Punisher__
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Men lie, women lie...numbers don't.

Isn't Thank Me Later the highest shipped album by Universal Music Group so far this year?

TML >>>> Recovery.
  • hulkhelton
    hulkhelton Members Posts: 200
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i listened to thank me later maybe twice... i just couldnt get into it...
    the truth is i could probably make an album i enjoy by picking certain songs from both artists and then put it on repeat for a few days...
  • contemplate
    contemplate Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Men lie, women lie...numbers don't.

Isn't Thank Me Later the highest shipped album by Universal Music Group so far this year?

TML >>>> Recovery.

because that's a saying means it's true? uh.. no. numbers do not mean anything.
    I agree with this.

Thank Me Later is clearly the more cohesive album. It's far more multi-layered, diverse, and the production is hot.

Everything from the lyrics to the production on Recovery is subpar.

lolwat. all drake talks about is how his life is now and past/current relationships with girls.
    Thank Me Later is a the far better Album. Drake proved the doubters wrong with his album, meanwhile Eminem still has a lot to prove about himself.

what are you talking about? how did he prove the haters wrong when his fans have been saying they want the old drake and he didn't give the old drake? he satisfied his new fans that don't care much for his hip-hop aspect.

with that said i think drake's album is decent (better than i thought it would be) and had about 3 songs that i liked and the rest were all right. i wish he would just rap and stop singing tho. he won't sell as much as he could have because he leaked it thinking that would somehow improve numbers, but he doesn't seem to really care about that.. then again i hear some people buying two albums just because they support him that much.

recovery is one of my favorite albums and is way more diverse than thank me later. it talks about kim, his fans, proof, hayley, and some are just punchline-type songs. his lyrics are on point, i didn't like w.t.p. or seduction (just wasn't his style). tbh, i thought it was gonna be weak since i was disappointed in relapse and didn't think he'd be able to come hard. recovery was leaked and i think that will also hurt his numbers, but i'm confident it will sell more than thank me later/
  • jaebizness
    jaebizness Members Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Fact is ..........Recovery>>>>>TML......So Far Gone Mixtape>>>>>>TML.......and i like TML....my only problem is the whole album is about how he made it......its his debut album he shouldn't be talking about he made it until this album is succeeds.......anything under 600,000 is a flop and i'm being generous the way they hyped it up.......TML Song concepts and structure are good even though they are 99.9 % the same......Lyrics are mediocre besides The resistance and light up........I Give it to him thought because he is smart enough to go after the female fan base.......they will actually buy his album......As Far as recovery is concerned....Lyrics are 100% on point and anyone who disagrees Fools, "Do You Listen To Music Or Do You Just Skim Through It"....the weakest track is Wont Back Down.....Now Im Not White but fact is Em will never get respect in Hip Hop Because he is white and Most Of Hip Hop Are Racist and will never admit to a white man being one of or if not the greatest.....BTW Hes not the greatest IMO....
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    On the real....Drake's album is dope, but it's too Hip Poppy. With his talent and the money spent on the album, I would expect it to be a good album, but does it stand out? To me, nope...Recovery on the other hand is a more harder hip hop driven album and you cannot deny Em's spitting..The problem is you ? so called hip hop fans have been brainwashed with all that R&B/trap hop in Hip Hop you forgot what is good hip hop......The problem is that albums are now made for the dance floor and big album sales...You should never have to try to make an album that would sell...A true artist puts out what he feels represents their true self and that Drake album sounds invented while Em's sound straight from the heart and demented mind and I say that in a good way....

Don't get me wrong, Drake is a sick lyricist and I like when he actually spits, but the album was too BET for me. And this is coming from a Tdot native
    BTW Boi-1da is ? ill on dem boards
  • Punisher__
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My problem with Recovery is that it seems to follow a "theme", but execution wise, it's just all over the place.

Em has never been a focused MC. He lacks direction, cohesion...and this album is a testament to that.
  • herbalism101
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My problem with Recovery is that it seems to follow a "theme", but execution wise, it's just all over the place.

Em has never been a focused MC. He lacks direction, cohesion...and this album is a testament to that.

The F you talking about Ebert?? explain what a focused MC is? Don't give me names....Tell me what you mean by Focused MC
  • biggar
    biggar Members Posts: 1,190 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Maaaaaannnnnnnnn

I'mma just say this. Both of these albums get released, then we got a bunch of other albums coming down the pipeline like Big Boi, Kanye etc. Its a good time in music right now.

I've listened to about 2 mins of each song on both albums. They are both crazy. They both offer something completely different.
    Em comes with a lyrical overdose with a side of corny. And Drake comes with real life raps with a side of sauwftness.

But Imma have to go with Thank Me Later as a better album as of right now. I like the production better. It was more of a risk in going that direction without the same old boom bap formula. The beats seem to have an ambiance feel to them.

One thing I say about the new Em is, he is really back to spitting with aggression, I just wish the overall songs came out better. I'm not a fan of him singing, it sounds so forced and un natural.

I like both, but only time will tell what the better album is.
  • Punisher__
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have don't get what you're saying about "good hip hop" and acting like R&B music can't be good when mixed with Hip Hop. Hip Hop is basically a spinoff of R&B anyway. You people focus on what you think hip hop should be based on what it has been in the past, but in the process you ignore good music when it's mixing with another genre to appeal to a broader audience. Drake has blended hip hop and R&B and the result was a Great album that will have broad appeal to a much larger audience.

TML >> Recovery.

Exactly.

Most people in this thread can't separate their ideals from the actual reality.

Saying Drake's album is "dope" but too "hip poppy", so it can't be better than Recovery is elitest thinking. Fact is, Drake was able to use creativity, originality, and coherence to concoct a solid LP...and that's what makes TML the superior of the two.
  • herbalism101
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I have don't get what you're saying about "good hip hop" and acting like R&B music can't be good when mixed with Hip Hop. Hip Hop is basically a spinoff of R&B anyway. You people focus on what you think hip hop should be based on what it has been in the past, but in the process you ignore good music when it's mixing with another genre to appeal to a broader audience. Drake has blended hip hop and R&B and the result was a Great album that will have broad appeal to a much larger audience.

TML >> Recovery.

1st of all you think I'm gonna take someone with Jeezy as their avatar seriously when talking about good music?
    2ndly, Hip Hop is a lifestyle so I'm assuming you meant rapping over R&B which has been done over and over again. Hip Hop started out as a "? you" to the establishment and when I say good hip hop album, I mean the album has no corporate formulaic approach other than a couple guest hooks and those in no way sounded mainstream
    It seems ppl forget that Em came from the battle world and is probably the only battle rapper that actually made it in mainstream (it kills me saying that cause I hate that being mainstream is the only way you can make $$) so I expect him to come harder than the rest of these artists...
    As for your broader audience comment, only extra fans he brings is from Degrassi....
    Like someone said above, Drake made this album for the ladies...sounds like a cross between LL and Dre 3k
  • herbalism101
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Exactly.

Most people in this thread can't separate their ideals from the actual reality.

Saying Drake's album is "dope" but too "hip poppy", so it can't be better than Recovery is elitest thinking. Fact is, Drake was able to use creativity, originality, and coherence to concoct a solid LP...and that's what makes TML the superior of the two.

Tell me what you mean by the bolded....In rap music almost everybody sings...Dre3k did it... Kanye does it....and he has all the usual suspects as guest features

I agree that Drake's album is a more complete album in regards to what sells these days and that even makes me like Em's album better...
  • Capo1
    Capo1 Members Posts: 789
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This aint even close...only a female would say TML is better. that ? was GARBAGE...Drake fell off already, and he only has one album out. He's going to be the next Nelly, you watch.

Recovery is easily a 4.5/5 for me. So, yeah Recovery wins. Black people are just gettin charcoaly because eminem is back and they cant stand it.
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i think what he means by battle rappers is people that was seriously battling...and by that I mean, Eminem would go to rap battle competitions, (rap olympics scribble jam etc) . these are orginized events.

Jay-Z, LL, Biggie, DMX, Method Man, Redman might have all battled here and there around the block, but none of them were seriously going from venue to venue battling like that...

its no discredit to any of those MC's but just clarifying the term battle rapper..

havent heard thank me later yet..if anyone wants to PM a link that would be dope :cool:
  • herbalism101
    edited June 2010
    Options
    First of all, you already did by explaining your opinion to me. Thanks for proving yourself to be an idiot.
    Secondly, hip hop is not a lifestyle, it's a form of music, you get that? It's music, homie. Hip Hop started out as a "? you" to establishment? I'm pretty sure Hip Hop started out as entertainment, whether that be as party music, or whether it was having battle raps on the street corner. It certainly wasn't a "? you" to establishment, it was about having fun and a good time. You're confusing a "good hip hop album" with your own silly idealistic formula for making a "good hip hop album". You're acting as if an album has a couple guess hooks and sound mainstream it can't be good. That's an idiotic way of thinking, but you've already proved yourself to be an idiot, so I'll just continue to point out your errors in logic to you.

Eminem isn't the only battle rapper to make it in the mainstream, again you're displaying your idiocy. I'm sure Jay-Z, LL, Biggie, DMX, Method Man, Redman all made it in mainstream and were once battle rappers.

When this album sells more than the typical hip hop album, I'm guessing it'll prove that Degrassi had mass appeal then.

You know, I was gonna entertain myself with a little debate here, but the bolded has officially made me not take you serious at all...You're pretty sure?? That means you haven't done your history, therefore I can't have this conversation with you because you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Hip Hop
    PLUS, your rebuttal is garbage, you basically repeated what I said and told me I'm wrong with no back up.....GTFOH
    You come from the new school of hip hop where it's all about how you look..Not how you sound

@Capo1...No need to turn this into racial ? cause A)Racism has no business in music B) Drake is half white
    @L3NU....Thank you for explaining it to the knucklehead
  • flushill401
    flushill401 Members Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • ShadyTeam
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Capo1 wrote: »
    This aint even close...only a female would say TML is better. that ? was GARBAGE...Drake fell off already, and he only has one album out. He's going to be the next Nelly, you watch.

Recovery is easily a 4.5/5 for me. So, yeah Recovery wins. Black people are just gettin charcoaly because eminem is back and they cant stand it.

Do you realize how big Eminem's black fan base is?

You realize when The Slim Shady LP came out Eminem's biggest fan base was black people then over time his white fan base grew after The Eminem Show his black fan base if we go by speculation might have declined partly cos Eminem became a mega super star and certain people thought ok a lil white girl from Utah called Alice is listening to Eminem, we still respect his talent but how would i look bumping Eminem when his fan base consists of lil white girls
  • herbalism101
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm sure losing isn't a good way to entertain yourself, so I don't blame you for backing out.

Not gonna play into that....You have no comeback...You already shot yourself in the foot by showing you obviously don't know much about Hip Hop by what you're saying...I get nothing out of schooling you anymore than I have already done youngblood...

You are a clone...Your avatar shows that....Your description of your location shows that

You must be the only person in the world that hasn't heard the famous quote
    "Rap is something you do...Hip Hop is something you live"
    You keep thinking you had a better argument
  • herbalism101
    edited June 2010
    Options
    lol @ calling me a clone and then repeating some quote that isn't even true. Hip hop isn't a lifestyle nor is a culture just because some idiotic rapper said it was.

Damn son, how you gonna walk when you just shot your other foot? You don't even know what a clone is.....This is the reason I really don't come in "The Reason" Some ppl just have no damn sense...Only reading they do is in these threads....When was the last time you walked into a bookstore to buy something other than a XXL or Source mag?

What kills me is that you talk like you actually know what your talking about
    Like I said, don't talk what you don't know........