How long will it be before we eventually see a black Batman or Superman (Steele doesn't count)...

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in Quite Comical
...and what do you think the public's reaction will be to it?

Comments

• Masterfultech
    Masterfultech Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    ...and what do you think the public's reaction will be to it?

There's Multiple Black Supermen not named Steele and some are literally clarks from alternate earths.

Val-Zod (Earth 2 Superman)
    Earth2-Banner.png

Calvin Ellis (Earth 23 in general is home to the basically all black justice league except for batman)
    earth-23-06.jpg

Icon (Is basically superman but not kryptonian)
    3998727-638504-22.jpg

and alot others Black people on krypton are from an island

Now as far as Batmen I know there are more but the only ones I read are about the Batwings (batman's associates/partners).

Luke Fox
    500px-Batwing_Vol_1_28_Textless.jpg

David Zavimbe
    3293317-tumblr_mhtt3ai7e41qa0e18o1_500.jpg

And as far as the reaction that the people have given it, generally most black people are cool with it; but some white people call it black washing and pandering for blacks and other general racial pejoratives.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why? Why should we have a Senegalese, Chinese or Peruvian Batman or Superman?

what does their 'race' have to do with their abilities? Theyre above all that nationality/race ? imo, unless Harry Kane etc had/have some hidden supremacy agendas n ? , which Im not aware of.

I dont think one should hold importance to (anti) heroes nationality/race, when I read a batman comic or watch a anime, the last thing Im thinking about is race. I like that background(religion/race etc) are non present issues.

but cause I know the struggle you guys go through in tbe states, I would endorse a black bruce wayne or superman as a vato lol.
  • Masterfultech
    edited January 2015
    Options

what does their 'race' have to do with their abilities? Theyre above all that nationality/race ? imo, unless Harry Kane etc had/have some hidden supremacy agendas n ? , which Im not aware of.

I dont think one should hold importance to (anti) heroes nationality/race, when I read a batman comic or watch a anime, the last thing Im thinking about is race. I like that background(religion/race etc) are non present issues.

but cause I know the struggle you guys go through in tbe states, I would endorse a black bruce wayne or superman as a vato lol.

Not only are people able to better to relate to something when it resembles them and thus make them want to purchase it and understand it but comics are also a form of propaganda from which a lot of people reveal their views/perspectives and if their race wasn't important than why were they given one in the first place, why were they given human phenotypes and racial features. Ponder this, why does batman and superman resemble white men and the ultimate good in their universe while everything else is deemed their inferior? And it not just America it's THE world.
  • HundredEyes
    Options

Not only are people able to better to relate to something when it resembles them and thus make them want to purchase it and understand it but comics are also a form of propaganda from which a lot of people reveal their views/perspectives and if their race wasn't important than why were they given one in the first place, why were they given human phenotypes and racial features. Ponder this, why does batman and superman resemble white men and the ultimate good in their universe while everything else is deemed their inferior? And it not just America it's THE world.

yes and nah bro, if your statement was correct, than why in the batman universe, gotham to be exact, is loaded with corrupt and evil people from all backgrounds....? most of the villains are white now that I think about it.

so why not have a black joker....or bane, twoface, scarecrow etc? If batman was about white supremecy and propoganda, than why are most of the villains and evil twisted mofos mostly white?

if anything, batman shows that all people can be corrupt due to the envirmont they live in, he and alfred, gordon, ? the good guys in gotham are a minority lol.

now how you and others interprate that universe, is an entire different discussion.

now if you look up how batman looks, look up how its (co?) creator harry kane looks....dark hair, pale skin, batman started as a pipesmoking detective, fighting corruption in gotham(new york) over 70 years ago, the suit etc all came later...

• Masterfultech
    edited January 2015
    Options

yes and nah bro, if your statement was correct, than why in the batman universe, gotham to be exact, is loaded with corrupt and evil people from all backgrounds....? most of the villains are white now that I think about it.

so why not have a black joker....or bane, twoface, scarecrow etc? If batman was about white supremecy and propoganda, than why are most of the villains and evil twisted mofos mostly white?

if anything, batman shows that all people can be corrupt due to the envirmont they live in, he and alfred, gordon, ? the good guys in gotham are a minority lol.

now how you and others interprate that universe, is an entire different discussion.

now if you look up how batman looks, look up how its (co?) creator harry kane looks....dark hair, pale skin, batman started as a pipesmoking detective, fighting corruption in gotham(new york) over 70 years ago, the suit etc all came later...

You reached for things I never said, I said they are the ultimate good in their universe not that anyone of color wasn't present in the comics whether they be good or evil and whom ever is the bad guy is up to the author because the races of the villains is fluid as the current killer croc (Black Man) is a testament too and so is Bane (banes ethnicity changes often). Futhermore often time when author's depict villains in cape comics they try their best at making them sympathetic. And if you look at the past of DC and some Marvel comics just like Disney they have had open racism. And once again you're statement about the look of the author adds to my argument that he better relates to someone that resembles him. So you've disproved nothing.
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    Yes but if their 'race' represents the 'ultimate good' but the ones that represent the 'ultimate evil' are of the same race and the majority, than the whole 'white man represents the ultimate good' propaganda perspective doesnt really work right?

I know that people with a lack of imigination, racist tendencies(ignorant of it or not) and tunnelvision can relate better to someone who ideally looks like themselves.

but ? that ? , whats next, ryu from sf, sub zero...from batman to goku, a need to have multi racial/religious and sexual backgrounds to cater to demographics worldwide?

again, I wouldnt care if they made batman black. But I personally have never watched a anime or read a comic where batman repped his race, religion or any of that ? .

I used Harry Kane to explain bruce waynes appearance...chances are that if he was chinese or whatever, he would look like that(just speculation)..

I do the same, game like skyrim, fallout etc, Ill create a character that looks like myself. But that doesnt mean I have moroccan/dutch supremacy ideals in mind lol.

why cant people make up new heroes, new stories? Why change batman/superman etc? If anything we need fresh ? . If you want to author, be a author.

whats your point really? Every country needs a superman or batman version that reflects their local demographics or else people might view people from other demographics as superior/ultimate good?
  • Masterfultech
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes but if their 'race' represents the 'ultimate good' but the ones that represent the 'ultimate evil' are of the same race and the majority, than the whole 'white man represents the ultimate good' propaganda perspective doesnt really work right?

I know that people with a lack of imigination, racist tendencies(ignorant of it or not) and tunnelvision can relate better to someone who ideally looks like themselves.

but ? that ? , whats next, ryu from sf, sub zero...from batman to goku, a need to have multi racial/religious and sexual backgrounds to cater to demographics worldwide?

again, I wouldnt care if they made batman black. But I personally have never watched a anime or read a comic where batman repped his race, religion or any of that ? .

I used Harry Kane to explain bruce waynes appearance...chances are that if he was chinese or whatever, he would look like that(just speculation)..

I do the same, game like skyrim, fallout etc, Ill create a character that looks like myself. But that doesnt mean I have moroccan/dutch supremacy ideals in mind lol.

why cant people make up new heroes, new stories? Why change batman/superman etc? If anything we need fresh ? . If you want to author, be a author.

whats your point really? Every country needs a superman or batman version that reflects their local demographics or else people might view people from other demographics as superior/ultimate good?

You're reaching again, I said that people relate better to whom they resemble, I didn't even say that that's bad...and as far as anime goes, anime makes strews of caricatures that are blatantly samboish and other stereotypes. And if you've never seen batman rep his colors than you've never really paid attention in the first place. As Batman has been fined tuned multiple times.

314384_v1.jpg314370.jpg?v=1
    314408_v1.jpg

Hal Jordan as well
    314374_v1.jpg

Now as for the bolded you're already too late, SF has Sean an afro-brazilian joke character as Ken's pupil though SF is loaded with stereotypes for everyone and Mortal Kombat has had black ninja's already (Cyrax and Fox)
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    Im not talking about Sean(who was a beast in double impact, toned down in 3strike for whatever reason), nore Cyrax n Fox. Im talking about Ryu, Sub Zero, Batman.
    Maybe there is a miscommunication, is this thread and your opinion about making Bruce Wayne/Clark Kent black/something else or do yall want new versions of batman/supes(that already exist)?

I didnt read those comics you posted, Im positive that in the 70+ years there must have been some racist ? , but in the comics I read, I didnt find any racist ? . Nore in any of the animated movies(from The Mask of Phantasm to the newest one, throne of atlantis etc.)
  • Masterfultech
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Im not talking about Sean(who was a beast in double impact, toned down in 3strike for whatever reason), nore Cyrax n Fox. Im talking about Ryu, Sub Zero, Batman.
    Maybe there is a miscommunication, is this thread and your opinion about making Bruce Wayne/Clark Kent black/something else or do yall want new versions of batman/supes(that already exist)?

I didnt read those comics you posted, Im positive that in the 70+ years there must have been some racist ? , but in the comics I read, I didnt find any racist ? . Nore in any of the animated movies(from The Mask of Phantasm to the newest one, throne of atlantis etc.)

The thread isn't mine it's the poster Mister B's. I'm simply offering a reason as to why there could be a black superman/batman and why they aren't often utilized when I responded to you. And then I stated comic books have always been propaganda usually to whatever suits the interest of the author; it's also what I said as Marvel and DC have pushed for ? marriage using certain authors whether you agree or disagree just as they advocate subtly for other things. Also the Ultimate evil in the DC universe is usually Darkseid when it's not the anti monitor and dude most definitely isn't Caucasian or pale. Now as far the reason I stated those characters when you said what's next because they are exactly those character's you stated as just like ken and akuma were once palette swaps known as the shoto so is Sean a Shoto just as Cyrax is a palette swap of the ninjas/cyborgs and there should be nothing wrong with that. But the reason comics are the way they are is that they're just like Hollywood and Hollywood doesn't hide what it is.
  • HundredEyes
    Options
    Alright I can dig it.

if clark kent is gonna be black, than I propose the above the law theme song lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT8q9SMYjlw&app=desktop
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Bats aint gonna be Black no time soon
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like icon better than superman.
  • not this again!
    not this again! Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Outside of an event, like the Multiversity, for example, or a story driven thing, we're probably never going to see it.

Especially not with icons on the level of Superman and Batman. I'm sure you're aware of the nerd rage that erupted when in Marvel's Ultimate line, Peter Parker was killed off, and replaced with a black character.

And more recently what happened when a black Stormtrooper was shown in the trailer for the new Star Wars movie.

Imagine what'll happen if DC says they're going to make Batman and Superman, the two biggest superhero icons of all, black.

The universe can't handle that much nerd rage. The planet would ? in half.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm hoping one of the new books launched by DC in June after Convergence stars the Earth-23 Superman. In the 6 years he's been around across stories like Final Crisis, Action Comics #9 and now The Multiversity he has become one of my favorite incarnations of Superman ever. If not that at least a book set in Earth-20 home to Doc Fate (from my avatar and sig) who is also Black.

Anyway Milestone Media is about to come back very soon. Figured this would be the most appropriate thread to post this link in since that company is home to 2 of the most prominent black Superman and Batman analogues (Icon and Hardware).

HUDLIN & COWAN ON "MILESTONE 2.0": "WE'RE NOT IN THE NOSTALGIA BUSINESS": http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58666
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.comicvine.com/superman/4005-45116/
    Superman
    CHARACTER » Superman appears in 18 issues.

Harvey Dent has evolved into the most powerful man on his planet. He uses his powers to help people as the Superman; however, his methods of helping can be ruthless. Harvey is the absolute ruler of Earth-9.

Professor Joseph Chill was in-charge of the "Miracle Solution" experiment that gave Harvey his evolved super-powers

Tangent: Superman's Reign » 12 issues
    Superman's Reign

Harvey marries Powergirl
    The Superman's Reign takes place 10 years after Harvey discovered he had super powers. In this time frame, Harvey has managed to take over his world (Earth -9). Earth-9 is replica of our own Earth; however, the technologies of Earth-9 are more advanced.

JLA
    In this story arc, Harvey teams up with the heroes of Earth-9 to form the JLA. Their team consisted of: Atom, Bat-Man, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman.

950383.jpg

Earth-9_Superman_01.jpg
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.blerdsonline.com/2014/02/black-superhero-month-day-18-superman.html

Superman: Harvey Dent

Harvey's power was already greater than Clarks, with the added bonus of his power ring he easily left Clark in the dirt. Clark stood no chance, he didn't even land one punch. He was quickly beaten and demoralized. With Orion's teleportation power Harvey quickly traveled the world and gathered every world leader into one room. He let the entire world know that there would be peace now with him in control. Harvey destroyed symbols of leadership such as the White House, Los Pinos, Buckingham Palace and others. Who was going to stop him, he had easily crushed Earth's mightiest hero and sent a message. Harvey Dent was The Superman.

tangent-superman3.jpg

Earth-9_Superman_02.jpg

tangent-superman5.jpg
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So DC dropped their guide to the modern day multiverse today. In it we see some of the Black takes on their icons and even more obscure characters across the multiverse.

Previously posted Black Superman (Earth-2)

Black Hawkgirl (Earth-2)

2yvtf92.jpg

Previously posted Black Superman (Earth-23)

Black Wonder Woman (Earth-23)

1f8cpx.jpg

Previously posted Black Superman (Earth-9)

MULTIVG_1_34.jpg

Black Superman (Earth-47)

foi3pl.jpg

Black Flash (Earth-39)

x6mm90.jpg

Black Flash (Earth-34)

Black Green Arrow (Earth-35)

Black Miss X (Earth-35)

svidcy.jpg

Black Lady Blackhawk (Earth-36)

r73lv9.jpg
  • Broddie