The Mask You Live In (a study of masculinity) (trailer)

Options

Comments

• Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    People who look at this as some sort of long standing issue are just the people who have a problem with human nature because nature doesn't have much of a place in our society.

I don't think there is a static human nature. We're capable of very different behaviors, attitudes, lifestyles, values, traits, feelings etc. Not just as a species but individually. We are adapted for a hunting-gathering lifestyle that is radically different from how most human beings live today. I don't think human beings can behave unnaturally.
    Why the ? should the school system be geared against competition when we live in capitalism??? That would only be setting children up to fail

How to keep your slaves in line 101 (I admit it's a drastic comparison) might have been useful for some 19th century school children but , in my opinion, society should be progressing toward a more co-operative, compassion oriented economic system that's geared toward raising the general standard of living and distributing resources according to benefit. I'm not saying that the school system should be geared against being productive or hardworking.
    You know whats crazy these same feminist still want a ? to ? them ? ,they want to ? their men,want to have their ? slapped and want a ? to bust in them. They are walking contradictions lol.

What's 'funny' to me is how adamant some feminists are about regulating and policing human sexuality when no one's being harmed and no one's well-being is being disregarded.
    Again it's not aggression that is the problem, it's excessive aggression that is the problem.

The problem is aggression, for me. Unless you mean the playful competitiveness of sports and games. I'm not necessarily saying that children should be discouraged from behaving aggressively or acting out of anger, but that they should be taught the right attitudes and thinking and given the support that would help curb an instinct to aggression to begin with.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    And you still defend it. You can really believe whatever you want but "androgyny" is a European concept that has more to do with Rome and Greece than anything black. Those androgynous men ? eachother and ? on their women. Is that what you want?

So the instances in which you believe something to have happened that augment your fear are the only outcomes associated with the idea altogether? Yeah, that's not how this works.

Since the onset of 2nd wave feminism the black community has more broken homes in single mother households than ever before in history but I'm sleep though

Feminism isn't the only thing that's "happened" to America that contributes to whatever you're having gripes with. You're attempting to blame everything you don't like about a set of phenomena as dynamic as family and personal development being impacted by society, culture, population, etc, over Decades, if not Centuries.. on feminism.

Your narrow-mindedness is on a hundred right now.

See now you're trying to get overly philosophical to obscure the main issue. Feminism and ? destroyed the black family structure and they were equally as destructive. And now feminism is destroying the PUBLIC school systems because people with money send their kids to private schools that dont play that feminist ? . Public schools were created mostly for poor minorities

If you can't even acknowledge that then you really are lost.

Once again, you ? need to put some muscle mass on you, it will truly change the way you think.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    Feminist believe that the ideal and default behaviors of people are feminine and that the rugged, rebellious, aggressive natures of males are a put on or constructed and thus invalid.

Some of the traits that people consider to be 'feminine' are superior to the traits people consider 'masculine', in my opinion, but I don't consider them to be feminine traits.
    Feminist try to promulgate the fact that their is essentially no difference between males and females

What psychological differences naturally exist between the two aren't necessarily what most people would assume, in my opinion.

You basically have Boys who are hitting puberty experiencing an sudden onrush of chemicals in their bodies and they spend the next years of their lives learning how to navigate these feelings. Testosterone naturally makes us aggressive, more rebellious.

I think this is an over-simplification, if not wrong. Some studies have actually shown testosterone increasing altruistic behavior and there was one study done that suggested women are less altruistic toward neighbours than men because prehistoric men were more likely to live in villages they were raised in with people they were distantly related to and women were more likely to move to the villages of mates where they were not distantly related to most of the people so they're focus is more likely to be on their family instead of the community at large (I'm not claiming the reverse and I don't know how much should be put into these studies or what they really imply, just saying that the idea that men are less empathetic because they have more testosterone might be an over-simplification, if not flat out wrong).

Be a Man is not a toxic phrase, because that is essentially what that boy is going to become.

It is when someone is considered less deserving of respect as a man for being less resilient, dominant, aggressive, capable etc. A male adult can't be anything other than a man.

Women are wired to act on emotion because they have maternal instincts.

Men have the same paternal instincts that women do, they inherit them from their mothers.
    That is why we love our moms because she always love us no matter what.

Some mothers are cruel, aggressive and uncaring, some fathers are compassionate, gentle and loving.

Feminism has become a scapegoat for a lot of these hyper-defensive ? .

They may not disagree with what they see as feminism for the same reasons I do but I consider what virtually everyone means by 'feminism' to be an inherently inconsistent, empirically false and anti-egalitarian world view.

Most of these boys are just reacting to an increasingly feminized school system that tries to breed any and all aggressiveness out of them

I think the school system should be geared against aggression and competitiveness (all forms of aggression and competitiveness, not just physical). I don't know what the ripple effects would be but I think it would be better if human beings were incapable of experiencing anger.

And this is what I mean you really just posted a bunch of pseudo-intellectual nothing to insert yourself into a convo in which a more experienced person had already educated you. All this "in my opinion" talk is just a bunch of hoping and wishing it's not reality, but then again most feminists don't operate within reality

You don't know what you're talking about. Really
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options

And this is what I mean you really just posted a bunch of pseudo-intellectual nothing to insert yourself into a convo in which a more experienced person had already educated you. All this "in my opinion" talk is just a bunch of hoping and wishing it's not reality, but then again most feminists don't operate within reality

You don't know what you're talking about. Really

I never intended for my post to be "intellectual". I was adding my 2 cents on the issue, I have an opinion on it.

Who are you talking about and what did he say? - bold

What specifically did you disagree with?
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This yet another reason why I think all men should be required to lift weights. I can feel the lack if testosterone in yalls posts. If y'all had even a bit of muscle mass on y'all you would be smacking yourselves for these posts y'all are making. You all think in very feminine ways already

And that's honest to ? truth

I work out. And I'm intrepidly outspoken -- witness all my posts where I am the only one saying certain things (I'm the same way offline too). And I agree with this video.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    LordZuko wrote: »
    @jono what is hypermasculinity? I chose this word out of your response because it is foundation of your argument, I'm not going to repost the whole thing.

since you use "hyper-" which is a medical prefix, I expect a medical explanation.
    Alright then:
    Ihyper-
    pref.
    1. Over; above; beyond: hyperflexion.
    2. Excessive; excessively: hyperhydration.
    The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/hyper-

However, in lieu of you not being able to provide me one, because there isn't one, it isn't an actual term that means anything, I will explain.

hypermasculinity is a term constructed by feminists or feminist adjacents to lump together any typical male behavior that they find threatening. [/b]

You asked for a definition and now you have one. So I guess all that is irrelevant.

He asked for a definition of hyper-masculinity. Not a definition of hyper.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This yet another reason why I think all men should be required to lift weights. I can feel the lack if testosterone in yalls posts. If y'all had even a bit of muscle mass on y'all you would be smacking yourselves for these posts y'all are making. You all think in very feminine ways already

I work out. And I'm intrepidly outspoken -- witness all my posts where I am the only one saying certain things (I'm the same way offline too). And I agree with this video.

Part of being a man is having a job/profession what do you do for a living???
  • onthafly
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    p-tavern wrote: »
    What I think needs to be kept in mind here and everywhere else that these types of discussions take place, is that human nature does not, and can it, change at the same pace as society.
    You can draw up the perfect blueprint, but you can't control how people will instinctively act and react. You will never artificially "condition" out human nature, and therefore you must build around it, not try to force it to fit your mold. We need to be realistic, not idealistic, lest we ignore root problems and begin treating symptoms rather than underlying illness.

This may be true but we aren't talking about human nature but ABNORMAL behaviors caused by unnecessary pressures and unrealistic ideals of masculinity.
    I think the base level you have to break this all down to is the type of economic system, and thus de facto survival system, that America operates on.

A lot of these aggressive attitudes are handed down by men who are being forced to look out for themselves and families first. They impart the ideals they feel the younger men will need to carry with them to make it in a "me first" survival system. Even if they'd like to be "let's all get along and work together," you still have to be looking over your shoulder and making sure you don't get taken advantage of or shortchanged. The system is set up to benefit cutthroat and aggressive behavior, even when these actions aren't necessarily physical or violent.

If the majority of people become passive, it just makes it that much easier for the aggressive ones to come and take what they want, especially those that have positioned themselves to power (the filmmaker's husband is multimillionaire businessman and high level politician, see how this all seems to tie together a bit.)

The conditioning they're suggesting would be fine in a different societal structure, but here, all I think they're really going to do is do what xxCivicxx said "produce better worker drones" and make people more easy to push around. Because honestly, these people aren't making this doc or pushing these ideas out of the goodness of their heart either.
    Who does the end result benefit most??

Now none of this is to say that we don't have problems to address on the subject, I'm simply speaking on this trailer and its message/motives for now.

Conspiracy theories aside this is a good post.

We have a system that prides itself on competition and aggressive behavior...in certain areas but not in others and at certain times but not others, that can lead to a lot of...confusion.

Certain kids are taught to be aggressive and take what they want but they are also taught the legal means of doing so. You could argue they also have access to resources that help them achieve goal as well.

Personally, I can't take anything backed by people in power at face value. You don't get to the top by looking out for the middle and bottom. It all goes back to the way our power structure is set up.

Well...that's also true but the positive thing about folks trying to hold you down is that they often hold themselves down too. That said, many won't try it and these people have nothing really to gain. They already have the lifestyle they want.

You don't make it far in political office without bending and checking your own pride at the door b

The detrimental behavior, namely aggression, they want to avoid isn't abnormal at all, its the normal and natural response to abnormal outside factors. That is why I said we need to factor in human nature from the very beginning, because that isn't going to change no matter how bad we think the way it gets expressed might be.

Again it's not aggression that is the problem, it's excessive aggression that is the problem.

It's not a problem.

Because it's not common. Not even close. Ultra aggressive ppl are rare, very rare. I can count on one hand ultra aggressive ppl I met and I lived in 3 different states.

Anecdotal evidence pales in comparison to let's say homicide rates among black boys. While true it's not as common as some would believe it's more common than it should be.

That has 0 to do with masculinity and everything to do with issues completely outside of this discussion, otherwise we would also have to take into consideration the homicide rates among white boys and boys of any other ethnicity.
  • onthafly
    edited February 2015
    Options

No disrespect because I don't know what kind of working out you do but he's mentioning lifting weights specifically because lifting heavy weights have been shown to increase testosterone levels, specifically squatting and deadlifting. Now I believe working out in general can improve testosterone levels if I'm not mistaken but not as much as lifting heavy weights.

Edit: wait you agree with this video? And you nosigned my last post? ? outta here ? . Disrespect all the way.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    wait... what makes y'all think todays youth are facing a crisis?
    y'all just old and scared of the youth like the old naggers before u. cut that out.

When multiple black kids are murdered or shot over the course of a single weekend in a city like Chicago you should take notice.

I mean you don't have instances like this from the 1910s or 20s or 30s or 40s...
    Nor do you have it occurring in other nations as often as it happens here.

It's not natural. It's abnormal.

Fact: the higher the poverty rate in any given area the

? you already know that I think pretty much all your posts are trash so this post was unnecessary(and also trash)
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    Higher the crime rate*
  • onthafly
    Options
    So this ? ass ? A Talented One is just gon go around nosigning everything without responding? Man up ? .
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol... this is so corny.
    bottom line is that the gangs in Chicago are an isolated issue that has little to do with masculinity.
    it has to do with poverty and broken homes.
    these issue could be addressed. good luck fighting masculinity.

Eggfuckingzactly.

Why I don't ? with white feminists especially. They will completely disregard the racial issues Black boys face just to lump them in with white boys.

This documentary is setting the foundation for typical boy behavior to be classified as mental disorders right along with ADHD and ODD.
    The only part that's missing is finding the financial incentive.

Imagine if a Black man made a documentary telling females how toxic womanhood is..
    Imagine the righteous uproar.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Look at what I started...smh lol
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »
    You know whats crazy these same feminist still want a ? to ? them ? ,they want to ? their men,want to have their ? slapped and want a ? to bust in them. They are walking contradictions lol.

Uhh none of that actually contradicts what feminist want. They just want to do those things without instantly being called hoes for wanting to do them.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mobile edit
    *damned
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've been saying this for the many years I've been fortunate enough to post here….
    but I'll say it again.

People have the concept of Masculinity all kinds of distorted. I think young men view masculinity as an
    object that you can lose, or that someone can take.
    When you look at it through that lens, I can see why dudes are quick to be aggressive.

I also think as humans … we need to be able to express our full range of emotion safely and without ridicule.
    Some things might anger me, some things might excite me. Expressing in a civilized/ respectable manner should be the goal.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol... this is so corny.
    bottom line is that the gangs in Chicago are an isolated issue that has little to do with masculinity.

Eggfuckingzactly.

Why I don't ? with white feminists especially. They will completely disregard the racial issues Black boys face just to lump them in with white boys.

This documentary is setting the foundation for typical boy behavior to be classified as mental disorders right along with ADHD and ODD.

Imagine if a Black man made a documentary telling females how toxic womanhood is..

What?

From childhood I like all women are constantly being told that you not as smart, not as strong, not as athletic, etc as your male counterparts ... You aren't meant to lead, but follow ... your value is not determined by what you can offer the world, but by what you can offer your potential husband

Think if what that does to the self esteem of a girl growing up

No need to pile it on, bruh

And this documentary from what I can tell is not an attack on masculinity ... But a culture of hyper masculinity where the ideal man is a ? , fighting, drinking, cussing, alpha male with a limited emotional range: stoic, angry, ? ...a culture that essentially robs boys of their humanity, a right already not afforded to black males

Also worth noting that studies have found hyper masculine messaging found in the media especially targets low income young men who lack access to resources such as political power and wealth

Not saying, hyper masculinity is responsible for Chicago gang violence or anything like that

But the idea of hyper masculinity and gender sterotypes having an negative effect on youth is worth discussing, especially considering the state of things

Young women of all races are out performing their male counterparts in school at every level, and the suicide rate among young men has consistently been at least double of that among young females, across the board ... Suicide is actually one of if not thy top killers of college aged men

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Again with this hyper masculine BS.

Go sit the ? down with that.

That's something that's not problem because you rarley come across men like that.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Young women of all races are out performing their male counterparts in school at every level, and the suicide rate among young men has consistently been at least double of that among young females, across the board ... Suicide is actually one of if not thy top killers of college aged men

When it comes to school and research the female average is higher, but when it comes to excellence men still dominate a lot of disciplines. They're sure as hell overrepresented as far as Nobel prizes go.

The suicide statistics are a bit unreliable. Women attempt in greater numbers. Men are just more likely to succeed at it.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Get the hell outta here with that females been told their entire life they can't do something.

This ain't the 70s.

• Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't watch the video but I can agree that ESPECIALLY in the Black Community, hyper masculinity has gotten alotta ? killed and/or destroyed a lotta opportunities.

There was a poster named Claude Brown a while back who typed something ill never forget about masculinity and the black community/Lower middle class people..TO paraphrase he said "Masculinity in the black community is like this hope diamond that men cling too" meaning that men from lower class backgrounds already have nothing so their masculinity is literally all they have so much so that they're socially conditioned to interpret everything as a sleight against them.

Sometimes this winds up in quitting a job because they cant take orders, sometimes its shooting a ? for disrespecting their set.

• not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It used to be at 13 you were hunting for food to provide for your family, now at 13 most kids are overweight losers. The more we advance technology wise the more we regress as animals. Its just gonna be alot of androgynous lookin men arouNd. Il, be dead tho so all will be well.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol... this is so corny.

Eggfuckingzactly.

What?

From childhood I like all women are constantly being told that you not as smart, not as strong, not as athletic, etc as your male counterparts ... You aren't meant to lead, but follow ... your value is not determined by what you can offer the world, but by what you can offer your potential husband

Think if what that does to the self esteem of a girl growing up

No need to pile it on, bruh

And this documentary from what I can tell is not an attack on masculinity ... But a culture of hyper masculinity where the ideal man is a ? , fighting, drinking, cussing, alpha male with a limited emotional range: stoic, angry, ? ...a culture that essentially robs boys of their humanity, a right already not afforded to black males

Also worth noting that studies have found hyper masculine messaging found in the media especially targets low income young men who lack access to resources such as political power and wealth

Not saying, hyper masculinity is responsible for Chicago gang violence or anything like that

But the idea of hyper masculinity and gender sterotypes having an negative effect on youth is worth discussing, especially considering the state of things

imma call bs on this