Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Thereal_ba wrote: »
    traestar wrote: »
    A month in and i already hate this.

I am trying to keep hush about it but I will never do help desk/technical support again. The worse position I've ever took in my life...real serious right now.

whats so bad about it? Im dreading having to do this ? . Hope I can get some other type of entry level position

Hopefully you land a position in a noc, ill update my gripes later

noc?

Network operations center
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am trying to keep hush about it but I will never do help desk/technical support again. The worse position I've ever took in my life...real serious right now.

whats so bad about it? Im dreading having to do this ? . Hope I can get some other type of entry level position

I admit that the total combination of my skills in previous positions got me this job...but the money and commute was not worth dealing with a job that REALLY feels like you are a slave. High volumes of tickets, lack of decent training, I feel like everything I do they feel I do not "understand their concepts", etc.

I'm coming from a web development background and look to try to say in there, doing this position was a step down.
  • Thereal_ba
    edited April 2015
    Options

I admit that the total combination of my skills in previous positions got me this job...but the money and commute was not worth dealing with a job that REALLY feels like you are a slave. High volumes of tickets, lack of decent training, I feel like everything I do they feel I do not "understand their concepts", etc.

I'm coming from a web development background and look to try to say in there, doing this position was a step down.

This and on top of that I work for a major for a major cell phone service provider so i deal with every type of issue that you can imagine from pos cash register troubleshooting, vpn, active directory, remedy, etc. The good thing though is that we are internal and do not deal with customers at all, and that im exposed to level 2 scenarios because our help desk team consists of only 60 employees that support the entire company in the US and Puerto Rico.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    most people usually begin to get experience working at helpdesk or the noc then move up from there. its rare to see a person in a mid/senior level position that has never done helpdesk. ride it out for 6 months ( try not to pull your hair out) and knock out a cert or two then dip out.

i have coworkers that been at helpdesk all their lives. one dude is 38. with an MBA. no certs. no women. nothing....working helpdesk since he was 21 dont be that guy
  • traestar
    Options
    most people usually begin to get experience working at helpdesk or the noc then move up from there. its rare to see a person in a mid/senior level position that has never done helpdesk. ride it out for 6 months ( try not to pull your hair out) and knock out a cert or two then dip out.

i have coworkers that been at helpdesk all their lives. one dude is 38. with an MBA. no certs. no women. nothing....working helpdesk since he was 21 dont be that guy

For me it's because of my financial situation. I didn't have to take the help desk route to get put on. But I needed it to pay my debt. At this point, I'm getting the ? outta Jersey.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just passed the security pro cert exam, dont know if its worth anything but ? it its going on the resume
  • Bcotton5
    Options

This and on top of that I work for a major for a major cell phone service provider so i deal with every type of issue that you can imagine from pos cash register troubleshooting, vpn, active directory, remedy, etc. The good thing though is that we are internal and do not deal with customers at all, and that im exposed to level 2 scenarios because our help desk team consists of only 60 employees that support the entire company in the US and Puerto Rico.

my guy at school that just passed the CCNA just hooked me up with some great study material , its all 4 cisco classes in pdf format so you can read them all together or on your phone or something and all the CBT Nuggets videos for the ICND1 and INCD2

you want all of it? its 8 gigs lol whats the best free site to upload to?
  • Thereal_ba
    Options

my guy at school that just passed the CCNA just hooked me up with some great study material , its all 4 cisco classes in pdf format so you can read them all together or on your phone or something and all the CBT Nuggets videos for the ICND1 and INCD2

The one i sent you a link to a while back on my old account. I think they don't have a file size limit. I think it was megaupload
  • Bcotton5
    Options

The one i sent you a link to a while back on my old account. I think they don't have a file size limit. I think it was megaupload

it was mediafire, Im finishing this project and final for microsoft server class I 'll get on it tomorrow, this ? is dope study material
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    lmao damn bruh let me get on that I keep forgetting to upload it
  • Thereal_ba
    Options
    What everybody up to?
  • Bcotton5
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What everybody up to?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c6pomfbq0o2q5ia/CCNA+Routing+and+Switching+Study+Guide+-+Lammle,+Todd.pdf

this is the CCNA guide pdf that my boy gave me, the cbt nuggets stuff is gonna take a min to upload Ill be back
  • King Erauno
    Options
    i just got my palo alto certification - PCNSE6 - Palo Alto certified network security engineer. it was easy and its the equivalent of a CCNP in security (which i already have)

Palo alto is the future in security.
  • Thereal_ba
    Options
    i just got my palo alto certification - PCNSE6 - Palo Alto certified network security engineer. it was easy and its the equivalent of a CCNP in security (which i already have)

Palo alto is the future in security.

whats makes it superior?
  • King Erauno
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mainly, palo alto is primarily designed and focused on network security. cisco does it all

http://www.bradreese.com/blog/11-27-2013.htm kinda dated but a good read
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anyone have nuggets on InfoSec/ethical hacking/forensics
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Anyone have nuggets on InfoSec/ethical hacking/forensics

I wish

been busy af with these accelerated summer classes, havent had time to study for my CCENT exam
  • traestar
    Options
    Haven't spoke about it but I no longer work for that organization. Focused on my business currently.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Going for my net+ ccna heard the min was 44k and somebody from a previous class got 70
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    got my pdf's for the ccnp route and switch

Gonna try to get through both before the end of the year then knock out TSHOOT last as i've read its super easy.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Going for my net+ ccna heard the min was 44k and somebody from a previous class got 70

dont worry about the net+ if youre going for the ccna. its a waste of time
  • Bcotton5
    Options

Gonna try to get through both before the end of the year then knock out TSHOOT last as i've read its super easy.

think you can pm me them? I know I wont need it for a while but it would be good to have
  • Thereal_ba
    Options

think you can pm me them? I know I wont need it for a while but it would be good to have

Can I get a copy as well.
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm still trying to get a help desk gig