Phil Jackson..Lebron travels half the time he catches the ball

Options
Neophyte Wolfgang
Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
Well I would hate to say I am right again :) I told ya all Lebron travels and offensive fouls his way to the rim. Stand by my opinion in the 90s Lebron would average 14-16 points a game.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/22/phil-jackson-lebron-james-travels-half-the-time-he-catches-the-ball/

Get off Phil Jackson’s lawn.

The 69-year-old Knicks president thinks basketball has lost its way, and he cited LeBron James when outlining the problems.

Phil Jackson, via Howard Beck of Bleacher Report:

“I watch LeBron James, for example,” he said. “He might [travel] every other time he catches the basketball if he’s off the ball. He catches the ball, moves both his feet. You see it happen all the time. There’s no structure, there’s no discipline, there’s no ‘How do we play this game’ type of attitude. And it goes all the way through the game. To the point where now guys don’t screen—they push guys off with their hands.”

He concluded: “It struck me: How can we get so far away from the real truth of what we’re trying to do? And if you give people structure, just like a jazz musician—he’s gotta learn melody, and he’s gotta learn the basic parts of music—and then he can learn how to improvise. And that’s basically what team play is all about.”

The agitation in Jackson’s voice is evident.

“The game actually has some beauty to it, and we’ve kind of taken some of that out of it to make it individualized,” Jackson said. “It’s a lot of who we are as a country, individualized stuff.”

Indeed, Jackson seems much less concerned with validating the triangle than with the state of the game itself.

“When I watch some of these playoff games, and I look at what’s being run out there, as what people call an offense, it’s really quite remarkable to see how far our game has fallen from a team game,” Jackson said. “Four guys stand around watching one guy dribble a basketball.”

Kids these days – ruining America with their individualized offenses. Or is it the other way around?

Anyway, Jackson comes across like a grumpy old man, far too obsessed with how they did it in his day rather than what actually works now.

There was no better example of an individualized offense than the playoff Cavaliers, who funneled everything though LeBron. And they scored more points per 100 possessions with LeBron on the floor (104.2) than the regular-season Knicks (97.1). Even in the Finals – with LeBron intentionally bogging down the offense to slow the game and against the Warriors’ NBA-best defense – Cleveland still scored more with LeBron on the floor (97.3) than the regular-season Knicks.

Maybe the script flips once (if?) Phil Jackson acquires better players. But Jackson’s attitude doesn’t give me much confidence. Even if he’s no longer framing his complaints around the triangle offense, he seems too obsessed about the wrong things

I’ll take effective over aesthetically pleasing.

Comments

• silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Welp, I'm glad my team just picked up Alvin Gentry.
  • King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been saying this..especially about the fouling. Dude gets away with blatant pushes every time. Harden too...
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All these pundits need to get off Phil's sack.. Everybody is questioning a guy with 11 rings.. All because he runs the Knicks..

If he was in any other town no one would have anything to say.. It's corny..
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate when folks act like this ? is brand new. Star players been getting away with murder in the NBA forever....i aint' him saying this ? when MJ pushed off of russell
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    People questioning Phil Jackson 11 rings....smh. Lebron is manufactured they needed to create a "star" for the nba.....
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    All these pundits need to get off Phil's sack.. Everybody is questioning a guy with 11 rings.. All because he runs the Knicks..

Maybe because he should focus on doing his job instead of getting his Mark Cuban on.

Here this guy goes... What you think the man has been doing all this time.. He's only been with the knicks a year or so.. He's working.. He needs time to get things right..
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    Here this guy goes... What you think the man has been doing all this time.. He's only been with the knicks a year or so.. He's working.. He needs time to get things right..

Exactly....lol I can't wait to hear the excuses in the next few hours.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    I hate when folks act like this ? is brand new. Star players been getting away with murder in the NBA forever....i aint' him saying this ? when MJ pushed off of russell

Jordan stole the ball and then preceded to hit the go ahead winner. Let's not lie and pretend jordan didn't shake russell before the "push" one play is different then traveling "half the time"
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe because he should focus on doing his job instead of getting his Mark Cuban on.

That should be his primary and only focus. Dude needs to act like the Knicks just won 17 games and theres no real way out of the gutter they are in. I dont wanna hear about how long he's been with the Knicks. Before last season when he came aboard and was making trades folks were all "He knows what he's doing, its all for the triangle!!" foh and stop making excuses. He's in no position to speak about any player who is immensely more talented than his entire franchise, who was just in the finals. He already looking salty after his tweet about 3-point shooting teams.

Furthermore nobody wanna hear this ? from him; like he wasn't coaching MJ who had his faults. Of course he would never question him tho.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    LOL old ass men flagging me for speaking the truth
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    That should be his primary and only focus. Dude needs to act like the Knicks just won 17 games and theres no real way out of the gutter they are in. I dont wanna hear about how long he's been with the Knicks. Before last season when he came aboard and was making trades folks were all "He knows what he's doing, its all for the triangle!!" foh and stop making excuses. He's in no position to speak about any player who is immensely more talented than his entire franchise, who was just in the finals. He already looking salty after his tweet about 3-point shooting teams.

Furthermore nobody wanna hear this ? from him; like he wasn't coaching MJ who had his faults. Of course he would never question him tho.

It was his first year....just because he made a true statement about Lebron traveling doesn't mean he is not focused on the Knicks. That statement took him 5 seconds to say....you act like he is writing a novel about lebron and his traveling exploits. If a GM wakes up a takes a dump in the morning for a few minutes reads the newspaper would you be saying he needs to worry more about his team who won 17 games? lol gtfoh
  • Ghost of Jaemooms
    Ghost of Jaemooms Members Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Team sets record for most losses in franchise history and he's complaining about the rules...big suprise lol
  • EmM HoLLa.
    Options
    Phil can say what he wants.. The man has 11 rings..

As for me... I'm gonna bow out of this one.. I'll see y'all when I see y'all.. Phil has his work cut out for him.. And coming off the season we just had.. I have no room to talk.. So ima leave it alone.. ? it..

• IceBergTaylor
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

It was his first year....just because he made a true statement about Lebron traveling doesn't mean he is not focused on the Knicks. That statement took him 5 seconds to say....you act like he is writing a novel about lebron and his traveling exploits. If a GM wakes up a takes a dump in the morning for a few minutes reads the newspaper would you be saying he needs to worry more about his team who won 17 games? lol gtfoh

This doesnt even make any sense
    Bruh nobody is falling for your agenda posting except Knick fans here
    Everybody knows you're anti-LeBron and have overstayed you're welcome here
    Theres no mods in the cheapseats which is the only reason you havent been banned yet for your struggle trolling.
    Only mfkers who been living under a rock dont know about Bron by now. This ? isnt newsworthy just Phil randomly gossiping about LeBron....
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I want to see what Phil does this year with the Knicks. Last year they were ass cheeks. All this talk of LeBron carrying ain't gone help his team win. If anything, since it's so rampant, maybe show his starters how to travel effectively to put up points. Phil is an 11 time champion coach. Can he do it in a new York though? ? All this talk of other ? is just chatter
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Phil talking all this ? . He better do it in NY. There's no Jordan, Pippen, Shaq or Kobe in NY to bail him out either.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These comments in here smh. Mfs can even make true statements anymore. I agree with Phil because it's true. I just don't understand how you want Lbj play and not know he has average handles and shot. He does run over people to get to the basket. He leads with his forearm when he drive.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    These comments in here smh. Mfs can even make true statements anymore. I agree with Phil because it's true. I just don't understand how you want Lbj play and not know he has average handles and shot. He does run over people to get to the basket. He leads with his forearm when he drive.

Yet he's been to the finals 5 times in a row with a team comparable to the Knicks. I find it hilarious that Phil, of all people, would have something to say about this when he's coached two of the most babied plyers the NBA has ever seen in MJ and Kobe. Y'all serious with this ? ?? Star players just started getting favorable no calls since Bron been in the league?? I'm pretty sure Byron Russell of the 98 Utah Jazz would say different...
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    “When I watch some of these playoff games, and I look at what’s being run out there, as what people call an offense, it’s really quite remarkable to see how far our game has fallen from a team game,” Jackson said. “Four guys stand around watching one guy dribble a basketball.”

There was no better example of an individualized offense than the playoff Cavaliers, who funneled everything though LeBron. And they scored more points per 100 possessions with LeBron on the floor (104.2) than the regular-season Knicks (97.1). Even in the Finals – with LeBron intentionally bogging down the offense to slow the game and against the Warriors’ NBA-best defense – Cleveland still scored more with LeBron on the floor (97.3) than the regular-season Knicks.

Ether.

Jay ? still in contention for worst threads/posts in CS
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It ain't like Phil Jackson is lying.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fact: most players travel like tons of times over the course of a game. Could you imagine if the refs called it every single time?

This is one of those situations where the media and fans overreact to something one player does simply because of who that player is.

As far as Phil's pedigree goes, how many of those rings did he win as GM? And when he makes statements like this, is he speaking as a former coach or as a GM? Cause if it's the latter, he would be better off leaving such comments to his head coach. Of course, Phil can say whatever the he'll he wants, that's not the point. But considering his name and reputation and the market of the team he's in charge of, it might be best to not run off at the mouth, especially given how embarrassing his first year was.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Even in the Finals – with LeBron intentionally bogging down the offense to slow the game and against the Warriors’ NBA-best defense – Cleveland still scored more with LeBron on the floor (97.3) than the regular-season Knicks.

Ether.

Jay ? still in contention for worst threads/posts in CS

How is this ether? Of course they will score with Lebron more on the floor. He is their best player and Kyrie was down for the series and so was love. Lebron scored and half the time he was traveling or using his elbow to push off. He had triple doubles on under 40 percent shooting, he got to the line to. he was what 28 percent after 5 ft from the basket shooting? He sure tailed off when Iggy was guarding him, then he made the claim I am the best basketball player in the world and played passive lololol
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Options
    Fact: most players travel like tons of times over the course of a game. Could you imagine if the refs called it every single time?

This is one of those situations where the media and fans overreact to something one player does simply because of who that player is.

As far as Phil's pedigree goes, how many of those rings did he win as GM? And when he makes statements like this, is he speaking as a former coach or as a GM? Cause if it's the latter, he would be better off leaving such comments to his head coach. Of course, Phil can say whatever the he'll he wants, that's not the point. But considering his name and reputation and the market of the team he's in charge of, it might be best to not run off at the mouth, especially given how embarrassing his first year was.

Read the article and you will see Phil talk about the league losing its way in general with traveling and screens.

11 rings.....as a coach all you got is a promise ring from your boo lol
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »

Yet he's been to the finals 5 times in a row with a team comparable to the Knicks. I find it hilarious that Phil, of all people, would have something to say about this when he's coached two of the most babied plyers the NBA has ever seen in MJ and Kobe. Y'all serious with this ? ?? Star players just started getting favorable no calls since Bron been in the league?? I'm pretty sure Byron Russell of the 98 Utah Jazz would say different...

What in the blue ? does the Knickerbockers being trash, along with Jordan & Kobe have to do with his statements regarding LeBron?