RIP: Saturo Iwata (1959-2015)

Options
Delphas
Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
220px-Satoru_Iwata_-_Game_Developers_Conference_2011_-_Day_2_%281%29.jpg

He passed away due to a bile duct growth. He worked in both HAL Labs and Nintendo, and worked on several titles, such as Balloon Fight, Kirby, LoZ, and Mario.

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    interesed to see how the next president going to treat NX
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn man. RIP.

• PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Besides dying what are the other good things Iwata did for Nintendo?
    SMH, I knew somebody was gonna do it.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options

SMH Nintendo wouldn't be around and as profitable as they are today is what would've happened.

Damn this was really shocking and very sad. He had spent so much time off this year getting the tumor treated I legit thought he was doing better. He didn't even look too bad in the E3 direct and then boom gone before he even reached age 56 smh. For better or worse this is going to permanently change Nintendo going forward.

R.I.P. Mr. Iwata and thank you for really pushing Splatoon as one of your final orders of business. It was worth it.

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    He didn't even look too bad in the E3 direct and then boom gone before he even reached age 56 smh.

Iwata was never seen in the E3 direct. Nintendo used muppets for him. Only Miyamoto and Reggie were seen in person. Nintendo is so clever and the kind of company that can get away with that without anyone thinking twice about it that most didn't notice.

image10.jpg

On the business side, Nintendo has pretty much laid out plans for the foreseeable future. They've announced new hardware, will be entering the mobile phone business by years end, and have a theme park deal with Universal. Plus rumored movie and Netflix partnerships. Iwata definitely wasn't resting through all of this and whoever takes over only has to stay the course, not reinvent the wheel.

RIP to one of the greats.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yeah I just saw Reggie say that maintaining the legacy he left behind is a priority.

I know Iwata wasn't resting (you know I'm a Nintendo fan and regularly follow game news). The fact that he fought this while still spearheading the company is admirable. Only real break he took was when he skipped last E3 to get that surgery. I do wonder how much the negativity from "fans" about E3 2015 contributed to his recent spirits toward the end though. That kind of stress and negativity could impact one's health status.

I just saw on GAF that they released a pic of what he was looking like a month ago

iwatajbjh2.jpg

Man. Cancer is a muthafucka.

I'm still pretty sad about this. I usually don't harp too much on these famous people dying but this man was genuinely one of the good guys and I can't think of one person who has one bad thing to say about him even if they didn't like the company he worked for.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Who you hope takes over BTW?

Speculation is on Mimaymoto and Takeda but Miyamoto is an artist not a businessman. Wouldn't want him to be in a position he feels awkward in. That would affect the company in the long run. Takeda is a better fit especially since he spearheads their hardware anyway so it's appropriate that he gets the gig since future hardware form factors and specs needs to be one of their most important obstacles going forward. He could get an even better understanding of what is needed in a more global role like company pres.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Who you hope takes over BTW?

Speculation is on Mimaymoto and Takeda but Miyamoto is an artist not a businessman. Wouldn't want him to be in a position he feels awkward in. That would affect the company in the long run. Takeda is a better fit especially since he spearheads their hardware anyway so it's appropriate that he gets the gig since future hardware form factors and specs needs to be one of their most important obstacles going forward. He could get an even better understanding of what is needed in a more global role like company pres.

Yea, I dunno. They are both pretty old. I could honestly see the board wanting to go younger, especially after losing their last President due to health issues. Iwata was only 42 when he took over. Miyamoto is 62 and Takeda is 66. Seems like if either of them wanted the job (or could've had it) it would've been before Iwata. But Iwata was pretty much hand picked by Hiroshi Yamauchi, so its very different circumstances at today's Nintendo. Nobody there now has anywhere near that much clout. I'm also not sure that Iwata's former position at Nintendo before becoming President even exist there anymore, so can't really look to see who holds that title now. I don't see Nintendo hiring outside the company, Japanese or branch of executives tho, and they are all pretty old. A lot of people agree with what you are saying about Miyamoto, being an artist and all....but I feel like that's the kind of ? you say when you're not up for the position and want to remain loyal. I bet he would have a very different answer if asked now. His best days creatively are far behind him anyway.

I'd throw Takashi Tezuka's name into the ring myself. He's only 55 and currently manages all of Nintendo EAD. He was the Director for (arguably) the companies 3 best games, Mario 3, Mario World and A Link to the Past, and Supervisor on Ocarina of Time. Plus Producer or Supervisor on countless others. He's be a former programmer and game designer like Iwata was. Software is not Nintendo's problem, its hardware...so...

....Takeda is also fine I guess. I mean, he sort of makes sense. Depends on how much he learned from the Wii U. I'd be curious to know what involvement he has in NX. That would be be very telling regarding the companies' confidence in him.

Wow @ that picture of Iwata.
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie do you have a Wii U? You got Smash?
  • Broddie
    Options
    Nah I play Wii U at other peoples place right now. Gonna gift myself a refurbished one with Splatoon, Smash and Mario Kart for my birthday next month.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wow that picture of him is heartbreaking. he cant be more than 110 or 120 lbs or so there.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.I.P. Nintendo still one if the GOAT gaming companies.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo should of been were Sony is. RIP to this dude so many memories, but maybe this will help Nintendo mature in to the monster it was always suppose to be
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hope he is at peace. Never knew he was sick. Regardless of what you feel about any company or how good or bad of a job the person has done, life is more important than video games.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll pick up Super Mario Maker in his memory.

RIP and thanks for the GOAT gaming memories.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Imma post a little tribute later to him but for now RIP. He's a video game gawd. Not a legend. A gawd. Ty.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options

We got rid of the trash.. sheesh.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    I'll pick up Super Mario Maker in his memory.

damn one of his final games is him giving everyone the opportunity to did what he did in his memory.

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Blazedadon87x
    Blazedadon87x Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Nintendo should of been were Sony is. RIP to this dude so many memories, but maybe this will help Nintendo mature in to the monster it was always suppose to be

They were on the right track with gamecube,but dropped the ball with the Wii/Wii U.They bounced back with the DS/3ds handheld
  • Broddie
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

They were on the right track with gamecube,but dropped the ball with the Wii/Wii U.They bounced back with the DS/3ds handheld

You mean the same Gamecube that took years for them to profit off and the Wii that really helped put them back in the black?

I skipped the majority of their post-SNES output BTW but 3DS and Wii U have some legitimately great games. This is the best Nintendo has been in decades from a quality standpoint.