Brown eyes blue eyes experiment/Heightism/Innoculating racism

Options
luke1733
luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in The Social Lounge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQAmdZvKf6M
This is long, but it was so damn interesting and intriguing to see my life played out in a classroom study by whites that it almost brought tears to my eyes to have to watch it, then it made me laugh cause i could identify with so much.
Anyway, like i said, it's long, but it was interesting.

This is something I think every single black person (even those who refuse to acknowledge racism directly effects them) and minority can identify with, seen from a WHITE person's perspective.

Interested to hear people's views, if anyone can take watching the entire thing.

My rant:
My personal experience was and in many ways still this:
-Blacks who refuse to see these things happening to themselves and other blacks or women.
-Many times whites really demand a black play a role (preferably of a popular black tv or entertainer) and character of someone they are familiar with in order to be around them. If you didn't know this is what you are doing then they will quickly tell you "you remind me of that guy from.....". If you don't fit any of their stereotypes then they simply won't hang around you or "let" you hang around them. And who the ? cares?? Nobody, but honestly, everyone at work or in school wants to socialize and this ? exists and will get on ur nerves.
-You won't be THAT guy or a leader around them. It can't happen, it won't. Unless you are joking in a slang type way or using black culture in a white acceptable way along with white culture type ways of talk "like" "so" "really?" "dude" then you will be ignored.
-Who you are as a personality around blacks will not translate to their interpretation of you when you are around them.
You will quickly find out you can act the same, but people will tell you two totally different opinions they have of you and react "totally" different to you......if....they react at all.
-Whenever something resembles a black person, you get called on for opinion or referred to. Let them play country music, let them play The Black Keys, then let Bruno Mars come on and suddenly your name is called out and you're looked at.
-In a class room full of whites, the teacher will always have mercy and pity on you that is displayed as she allows you to talk. She always will re-interpret what you say for others, because she feels others don't understand you and that you are not articulate enough to be understood
-Whites do not listen to you unless another white speaks for you. If you come up with a good idea, it is perceived as "okay, but you don't see the big picture or both sides, what you have to see is...." is what will be said. Also you are ALWAYS the one who will be talked to or at. Nobody takes orders from you or listens to you as a leader.
As a result, to be heard, you first have to tell a white person your idea and then they will repeat to the group what you say and then you have to hope that white person will give you credit publicly enough until the group later learns to respect you.
-Leaving out all the arguments, fights and ? that has to be done to demand respect when it's not given.
-Ultimately, after so many of these experiences for over 20 years, I just deal with colored people when it comes to socializing. Why the ? care about anyone that is determined to not see me?
B/c until my side hustle makes enough money for me to get the ? away from them I'm making a choice to deal with them. So I,like many of you will or do, deal with it.

Don't know how it went to height on youtube, but I watched the one's one Short men and it was pretty good too. ? up, but interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4afoy8qmDRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR3YR1ZTonc

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MensHealthNews/story?id=8347950

Comments

• Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blue eyes look creepy on blacks and minorities
  • crownedwise
    crownedwise Members Posts: 287 ✭✭
    Options
    K not watching the video. Opening long af and mentioned mlk and a 3 rd white teacher like they did equal work.
  • crownedwise
    crownedwise Members Posts: 287 ✭✭
    Options
    Once you learn the cultural paradigms you can take control/ respect from any group. Study like Roosevelt, Paul Revere, napoleon and all the other white people white people love so much. Emulate and adapt. Also a good strategy is to give off the personna of "they need you". Takes time to learn. Correctly studied you can learn their structure of thought and business before leaving high school since the school system is modeled after the system of government as are all the systems.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have watched this in a couple of different Psych classes. It was interesting and hard to watch. I enjoyed the followup and hearing the perspectives they had later in life although I am not sure if it changed their interactions because I doubt many of them were around people of varying races. I also wonder what their parents thought of the teacher and her teachings.

This type of teaching today would probably end up getting that teacher fired. Parents would be in an uproar.

You might be interested in the doll experiment as well if you have not already seen it. It was done decades ago and done again more recently.

studysites.sagepub.com/healeyds3e/study/articles/05/Jordan.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpUyB2xgTM
  • luke1733
    Options
    MissK wrote: »
    I have watched this in a couple of different Psych classes. It was interesting and hard to watch. I enjoyed the followup and hearing the perspectives they had later in life although I am not sure if it changed their interactions because I doubt many of them were around people of varying races. I also wonder what their parents thought of the teacher and her teachings.

This type of teaching today would probably end up getting that teacher fired. Parents would be in an uproar.

You might be interested in the doll experiment as well if you have not already seen it. It was done decades ago and done again more recently.

I'm way more familiar with the doll experiment and the paper bag experiment than this one, but it is on the same topic
  • luke1733
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Blue eyes look creepy on blacks and minorities

MOst of the time when we get blue eyes it's cause we're old and have diabetes or high blood pressure.
    Other times like my cousin, she's light with blue eyes cause my uncle had red hair (cause my Granddad had red hair) and he married a light skin woman and somehow my cousin turned out light with blue eyes. Before her I thought blacks had to be mixed in order to get that (since that was an albino/white trait that once you have melanin isn't supposed to be), but there you go.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Albinos have red eyes, genius
  • luke1733
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Albinos have red eyes, genius

you try to call someone out on a point this basic?
    read, in case you haven't seen a real albino.
    Ocular albinism results in light blue eyes,[6] and may require genetic testing to diagnose
    Go to wikipedia or youtube and look at them.
    MOST HUMAN ALBINOS HAVE BLUE EYES, some have violet color or reddish looking or greenish.
    It's not the point on what percentage, you tried to correct someone saying they don't have blue eyes and have red eyes and that was your point.
    Blue eyes have a sufficient deficiency and lack of melanin, thus they go hand in hand with white people and albinos.
    I'm not on no racist stuff, so I'll just stop with that.

This isn't children of the corn.

Many ablino animals have red eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op8CFVa2RNI
  • bbkg79
    bbkg79 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MissK wrote: »

@luke1733 thanks for posting I'm watching that video now.

@MissK Thanks for posting this, I have never seen this. I can't explain the emotion that ran through me during and after I watched that. I'm really disgusted and conflicted, how do we correct this? I feel like it will always be like this, even after I'm fertilizing the earth.
  • MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @bbkg79

You are welcome. It is very sad to see and is very real. A professor of mine works with daycare age children and she has natural hair. Well one child pointed to her hair and told her that it's ugly. She said it took everything in her not to show anger and finally she asked the child what makes it ugly? She said it was because it was big and looked ? . So yes, these things are seen at a very young age. Some are taught at home or by others, some of it is taught by the images all around us. Some is really ignorance and lack of exposure to groups unlike their own. I don't have a solution for you and I agree change may never be around in our lifetime. I do think it starts early and at home-black, white, or otherwise.