USA Today's List of 17 NFL HOF'ers Who Don't Belong in the Hall

Options
13»

Comments

• thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Warren Moon is out then Dan Fouts should be too. I have always argued that Namath shouldn't be in, look at his stats. He's in but Kenny Stabler wasn't? I had no idea about Marcus Allen...I guess because he was "name" player I never thought twice about it. But then again the Raiders did move him to FB once Bo showed up so that does say something...
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Beefer77 wrote: »
    Is Terrell Davis hall of fame I know he only played 6 years but so did gale sayers

He would get my vote. His impact on the Broncos was huge,while Sayers couldn't even make the playoffs. Not entirely Sayers fault but if he can make the HOF on a losing team with only about 5000 yds rushing for a career, I think Davis should be considered as well.

I stated this a long time ago on here. I hate the HOF. I love the museum aspect of it but I hate the "best of the best player" part of it. Davis vs Sayers is a prime example of that. The total disrespect to wide receivers (in a passing era) is insane. Guys like Art Monk, Tim Brown, Chris Carter and Andre Reed shouldn't have to be waiting so damn long to get in. We shouldn't have to bring up stats to know what Curtis Martin meant to the Jets. It's not fair to bring up stats anyway bcuz we are talking a span of generations of this game. Rule changes, being on a good or bad team and coaching philosophy plays a huge part in stats.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I did hear marcus allen was sub 4ypc or sumthin like that, but cris carter, aikman, and curtis Martin being on this list is asinine. Im not clicking the link lls
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol@ Majority black players being on that list.we in there be mad cracka
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    Lol@ Majority black players being on that list.we in there be mad cracka

7/17 people on the list are white. Sincerely doubt there's any racial bias going on, guy that wrote the article is just wrong on most accounts.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crazy thing is I just started watching football when Marcus Allen and Joe Montana were on the Chiefs and I remember Allen stayed getting gassed up by the announcers so I just assumed he was always a beast and one of the best, crazy how he never even ran for a 1,000 yards on the Chiefs.
  • Beefer77
    Beefer77 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    Is Terrell Davis hall of fame I know he only played 6 years but so did gale sayers

He would get my vote. His impact on the Broncos was huge,while Sayers couldn't even make the playoffs. Not entirely Sayers fault but if he can make the HOF on a losing team with only about 5000 yds rushing for a career, I think Davis should be considered as well.

I stated this a long time ago on here. I hate the HOF. I love the museum aspect of it but I hate the "best of the best player" part of it. Davis vs Sayers is a prime example of that. The total disrespect to wide receivers (in a passing era) is insane. Guys like Art Monk, Tim Brown, Chris Carter and Andre Reed shouldn't have to be waiting so damn long to get in. We shouldn't have to bring up stats to know what Curtis Martin meant to the Jets. It's not fair to bring up stats anyway bcuz we are talking a span of generations of this game. Rule changes, being on a good or bad team and coaching philosophy plays a huge part in stats.

I agree 100% with you. I hate the panel and media involvement in determining who gets in. For example, Ed reed, Troy polamalu, and Brian Dawkins are HOF safety's we all seen them in our era with our own eyes but since the HOF is not decorated with safety's it will be a while before they get in if at all. Plus if you are not a media darling some media members hold that against you.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Earl Campbell?

Naw

Why not?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just some fun lil stats. im inclined to believe yards per carry (for relevant players) is a better metric than career yards. Based on yards per carry, in order:

Jim Brown-5.2
    Barry-5.0
    Sayers-5.0
    AP-5.0
    OJ-4.7
    T. Davis-4.6
    Payton-4.4
    Dickerson-4.4
    LT-4.3
    Faulk-4.3
    Campbell-4.3
    Dorset-4.3
    Emmit-4.2
    Thurmal-4.2
    M. Allen-4.1
    Franco-4.1
    Curtis Martin-4.0
    Bettis-3.9
    Riggins-3.9

Hmmmmmmm

Now, once you take into account outside factors (Sayers and Terrell limited time, AP still playing, Emmit got the rings)...THIS BAROMETER IS ACCURATE AF!!!

The players we think are best (brown, Sanders) are supported by numbers. The players most often cited as overrated, the numbers support that

Curtis Martin deserves HOF. #4 in career yards, I'll give him that. One of the best ever? Fuuuuk no. And the numbers don't lie.
  • Beefer77
    Beefer77 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^^^^*
    This list makes the most since I have ever
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My criteria for hall of fame is simple. You ask the question "can you mention the NFL and history and not mention this (fill in the name)_ player. If you can he shouldn't be in the hall.

If Thats the case, Kurt Warner is in...
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Troy aikman?????? I hate the cowboys but got damn. White boy was surgical with it.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RawAce wrote: »
    My criteria for hall of fame is simple. You ask the question "can you mention the NFL and history and not mention this (fill in the name)_ player. If you can he shouldn't be in the hall.

If Thats the case, Kurt Warner is in...

He should be getting in regardless
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    Joe namath doesnt belong ? numbers are garbage. ? literally had more interceptions than tds

TD–INT: 173–220