Is the "ear for beats gift" really real?

Options
Ghostdenithegawd
Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
like i never got that phrase from you ? how certain rappers have a "ear for beats" and others don't

Like one ? cant tell the beat he picked out is trash on some "excite bike 64 ? " Or tony hawk under ground ps1 ?

ie: standerized slaughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuWGx-cmP6ch

or greatness like Hovi baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qpIE8GkiE

Is that just really an excuse for ? not having good musical sense, being cheap\broke or just don't want the actual beat to surpass there lyrics?

like we all hear the same ? especially when it comes to beats so how come it seems like the subpar rappers pick the best beats and the lyrical ones don't?

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Beats are subjective. But it's smart for limited rappers to use the beat as a crutch.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    like i never got that phrase from you ? how certain rappers have a "ear for beats" and others don't

Like one ? cant tell the beat he picked out is trash on some "excite bike 64 ? " Or tony hawk under ground ps1 ?

ie: standerized slaughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuWGx-cmP6ch

or greatness like Hovi baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2qpIE8GkiE

Is that just really an excuse for ? not having good musical sense, being cheap\broke or just don't want the actual beat to surpass there lyrics?

like we all hear the same ? especially when it comes to beats so how come it seems like the subpar rappers pick the best beats and the lyrical ones don't?

Well if a subpar rapper picks a dope beat thats the only way you're gonna hear about him. Because if he picks a wack beat nobody would hear it.

A master lyricist can get away with an average/boring beat and the lyrics will carry him. But if a wack MC picks a boring beat it wouldn't even get released.

However, a lot of it is subjective and/or regional. Some of the stuff that hits on the other coast(s) doesn't fly in New York and vice versa. I remember when Too Short and 2 Live Crew were big in the late 80s. They had beats that worked in their respective regions but cats on the East coast weren't feeling it. We also thought they couldn't rap. In hindsight those beats had sub-bass that I couldn't hear on my TV.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Beats are subjective. But it's smart for limited rappers to use the beat as a crutch.

we know that but it's also an issue if your a good rapper but you pick ? beats if your a good rapper you should have the beat match your lvl or lyricism
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea its real i got the golden ear b
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Ear for beats is the constant ability to choose beats that accent your flow and cadence

Some rappers are really good at it, some aren't

Close thread.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

we know that but it's also an issue if your a good rapper but you pick ? beats if your a good rapper you should have the beat match your lvl or lyricism
    But "good" beats are subjective. People claim Nas' beats suck but I think otherwise and a lot of these trap beats aren't that good to me.
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ear for beats is the constant ability to choose beats that accent your flow and cadence

Along with the ability to pick beats that the general population likes if you actually plan on having a wide range of fans. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't like the Justice League beats Ross raps on.

However, part of your beat choice is based on your funds. But there are rappers who have long been established and could get nearly any producer on board and still manage to have average production on their record. They are the ones with bad ears.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options

Nahhh i think ? are over thinking

? can talk that subjective ? all u want, but bottom line there ARE beats that are more likely to be universally loved than others.

Obviously there will be weirdo anomalies- --like you not liking Martin---but generally speaking a sick beat is pretty universal

Maybe not for 1 song, or 1 album, but over the course of a career, ? can generally agree if a guy picks good beats. ? the cadence, compatibly, etc, a sick beat is a sick beat

Yes, there will always be the "eeh, im a dweeb, im not really feelin We Major" ass ?
  • psychobutcher
    psychobutcher Members Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Easy cheat code, holla at Alchemist and call it a day. A lot of "good beats" are trends.
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes you would be surprised at how many rappers any kind of artist have talent but no vision
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Easy cheat code, holla at Alchemist and call it a day. A lot of "good beats" are trends.

makes me think of all of meeks bangers it's like he used the same damn drum pattern different sample, that's why i can't ? with that trap music ? .
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's certain beats for certain moods and some rappers just don't get it
    Some rappers sound off beat cause the way they flow doesn't match the beat
    EVERY beat has a flow/cadence usually a beat has a hook part where it switches up or leaves out a certain sound, then a verse part
    U really have to be into listening to beats tho to understand it
    I found I had a ear for beats and making hooks quickly when I 1st started singing
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    In my humble opinion, there's a lot of trap beats that all sound exactly the same. They have heavy 808 and hi hats that do double and triple time. And to make matters worse, the rappers all have southern accents and rap about the same thing.

It sounds professional but it all sounds alike imo.

But I guess thats what people like.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    In my humble opinion, there's a lot of trap beats that all sound exactly the same. They have heavy 808 and hi hats that do double and triple time. And to make matters worse, the rappers all have southern accents and rap about the same thing.

It sounds professional but it all sounds alike imo.

But I guess thats what people like.

It's just the wave but I've noticed that to that's why I never rap over trap beats
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

Nahhh i think ? are over thinking

? can talk that subjective ? all u want, but bottom line there ARE beats that are more likely to be universally loved than others.

Obviously there will be weirdo anomalies- --like you not liking Martin---but generally speaking a sick beat is pretty universal

Maybe not for 1 song, or 1 album, but over the course of a career, ? can generally agree if a guy picks good beats. ? the cadence, compatibly, etc, a sick beat is a sick beat

Yes, there will always be the "eeh, im a dweeb, im not really feelin We Major" ass ?

Well yeah I see what you're saying..I half agree

And my ? ....I never said I didn't like Martin Lmao I said it was overrated.

Contrary to what ? think overrated does not = I don't like it lol
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Along with the ability to pick beats that the general population likes if you actually plan on having a wide range of fans. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't like the Justice League beats Ross raps on.

However, part of your beat choice is based on your funds. But there are rappers who have long been established and could get nearly any producer on board and still manage to have average production on their record. They are the ones with bad ears.

u guys said it perfectly

That's not how these dudes describe "ear for beats" though. Their idea of "ear for beats" is it bangz n da whip!!!!

u made this ? up, u'll be better off just sayin u disagree. feelings.
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Southern rappers get the best beats. I always wondered why east coast rappers rap over some of the boringist and wackest beats they could find either that or they cheap as hell and dont feel like paying for better beats
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    murdap wrote: »
    Southern rappers get the best beats. I always wondered why east coast rappers rap over some of the boringist and wackest beats they could find either that or they cheap as hell and dont feel like paying for better beats

Being from the East coast, I feel like most (all) Southern beats sound alike. They just have heavy 808 and hi hats that do double and triple time. It was original and creative when Three Six Mafia came out 20 years ago but its kinda played out. Trap Musik was dope but that was 10 years ago.

I like New York beats like Gang Starr and Wu Tang or Just Blaze, but unfortunately they don't have enough bass. If the New York producers had southern bass they could reclaim the throne. Thats what made Dipset so great, its a shame they broke up.
  • murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    murdap wrote: »

Being from the East coast, I feel like most (all) Southern beats sound alike. They just have heavy 808 and hi hats that do double and triple time. It was original and creative when Three Six Mafia came out 20 years ago but its kinda played out. Trap Musik was dope but that was 10 years ago.

I like New York beats like Gang Starr and Wu Tang or Just Blaze, but unfortunately they don't have enough bass. If the New York producers had southern bass they could reclaim the throne. Thats what made Dipset so great, its a shame they broke up.

50 cent broke dipset up after camron called him and got out of pocket. Jim and Juelz aint want them g unit problems in they life so they left cam out to dry and cam aint like that.

New York beats be wack as ? yall got lyrics for days but the music is unlistenable because of wack ass beats.

List of new york rappers with bars and no beats.

5. Canibus
    4. 50 cent
    3. Jadakiss
    2. Rza
    1. Jay z

5 ny rappers who can pick good beats

5 Prodigy of mobb deep
    4. French Montana
    3. Fabolous
    2. Dipset (jim,cam,juelz,hell rell)
    1. Fat Joe