Was Fat Joe ever the king of New York???

Options

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    You could make the argument that in the summer of 2004 he was king.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    NO
    Nah 50 was still that dude
  • saracenwire
    saracenwire Members Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    Jay-z and Nas share 01. Their beef was the second biggest story in music period that year(after the Strokes), and Both albums went double platinum, with the Blueprint being widely regarded as a masterpiece.
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    At the time though Nas and Jay were at 'war', they were fighting to be Kings in and around after BIG past, so they wernt really the K.O.N.Y, who was???... 50 was on the come up during that time frame, he wore the crown for a while eventually no doubt... But is it really inconceivable to say Joe BRIEFLY had the crown???

Nas I dont think really ever was K.O.N.Y, regarding them shoes 'he tried them, wore them, wasnt a perfect fit so he couldnt sport them' No doubt Jay a few years AFTER became the king, mainly through business and Kanye...

Someone make a timeline from 1997 on...

97 - Biggie
    98 - DMX
    99 - Jay Z
    00 - Jay Z
    01 - Ja Rule
    02 - Nas
    03 - 50 Cent
    04 - 50 Cent
    05 - 50 Cent

I don't think anybody was relevant after 05. I mean, there weren't any mainstream rappers from New York that were at the top. The South had taken over after G Unit fell from the top.

Also, DJ Kay Slay deserves a mention. I was copping Kay Slay tapes(CD-Rs) from 125th St. between 02-04. I swear he was dropping one or two mix tapes per week. I'm not lying when I tell you he was getting stuff before the internet and when the songs/freestyles finally appeared on the internet Kay Slay was screaming all over the track.

Kay Slay had a series of mix tapes called The Drama Hour, not to be confused with his radio show on Hot 97. I think there were at least 9 volumes. They came out in between August and October of 2003, right around the time Beg For Mercy and the Black Album dropped. I remember because he had songs from those albums before the album's came out. There were a lot of Papoose and Saigon freestyles too.

Nas got the crown in 96.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    97 - Biggie
    98 - DMX
    99 - Jay Z
    00 - Jay Z
    01 - Ja Rule
    02 - Nas
    03 - 50 Cent
    04 - 50 Cent
    05 - 50 Cent

Wildly inaccurate simply bc

1) Its pretty hard to name 1 king based on a 1year snapshot, and

2)Jay never relinquished king status til he retired. Jay z ws KONY for only TWO years? ?? Cmon
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    NO
    we have to take into account also that Fat Joe doesn't write his own rhymes...

his string of ghostwriters is well documented (Big Pun of course being his most famous ghostwriter)
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    5 Grand wrote: »
    At the time though Nas and Jay were at 'war', they were fighting to be Kings in and around after BIG past, so they wernt really the K.O.N.Y, who was???... 50 was on the come up during that time frame, he wore the crown for a while eventually no doubt... But is it really inconceivable to say Joe BRIEFLY had the crown???

Nas I dont think really ever was K.O.N.Y, regarding them shoes 'he tried them, wore them, wasnt a perfect fit so he couldnt sport them' No doubt Jay a few years AFTER became the king, mainly through business and Kanye...

Someone make a timeline from 1997 on...

97 - Biggie
    98 - DMX
    99 - Jay Z
    00 - Jay Z
    01 - Ja Rule
    02 - Nas
    03 - 50 Cent
    04 - 50 Cent
    05 - 50 Cent

Who you got for 95 & 96?

I got...

95-BIGGIE
    96-NAS(Granted Fugees out sold him but they from Jersey)

And would you still count record sales as a priority in being KONY in today's climate and rather it be based more on quality?

Nas was king of NY when biggie was alive???? "? think I signed with Hov to stay close to the throne" Jadakiss. Big was the only true king of NY The closest person is Jay..... It's more than record sales, you gotta be goat level on the mic,you gotta have both street and mainstream appeal.new Yorkers gotta love you plus since New Yorkers love money you gotta also have money and power to be the KONY...50 had the money and run but falls short on the mic game and according to kiss, he lives in Connecticut.
    while Jada is great on the mic, he doesn't have the NY following,he doesn't have that one album,Nas while one of the goat MCs is always owing the IRS and on child support,diddy is not a rapper,Jay for me is the king because he is good in every category plus he has a real Queen for a wife and New Yorkers love him more than anybody since Big
  • S2J
    Options
    NO
    ^^^cosign beig more than about sales. If u name Ja Rule u dont get what bein king means
  • S2J
    Options
    NO
    Only kings were Big and Jay tbh

And maybe Nas when Illmatic, and after Ether

After Ether only for a sec b Jay bounced back and his entire brand skyrocketed aftr that Excuse Me Miss video. He became grown man boss Jay, while Nas made more underground type music

And before u say it, quality of music even isnt the biggest requirement for king of NY bc obviously no one would say Q Tip ws KONY when Tribe was dropping 5 mic albums left n right

King of NY is...iys just an,unwritten understating, he NY guy thats the globally respected leader of rap
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    5. Most importantly, he has multiple gold and platinum albums...

No he doesn't, he only has 1 gold album and 1 plat album out of 10 albums

JOSE was multi plat... MULTI Platinum... As a solo artist he has sold over 3million records in his career...

Yea, if you add up all 10 albums... He only has ONE Platinum album. Your record sales logic is a little fuckered up. We know damn well album sales don't equal to be the king of anything. If that's the case Ja Rule was the king at a time & that's a lie. Joe never did anything to justify that status or even the status of a great MC for that matter. Always followed trends & never came with ? that was genuine. Once Pun died it seems Joe gave up on trying to be somewhat lyrical & tired his best next decade to get radio play with some degrees of success, but no one up on hip hop at that time would take him seriously as king of anything.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    He was never the king but the IC always disrespected that ? for whatever reason when all he has done is put out quality music. ? that do NOTHING with their lives always gotta hate on a man doing better. Plus Fat Joe got some real life ? dealing with Puns fam and his own. He sorta got a bad rep for fhe Cuban Lynx ? and Puns baby moms but it what it is.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    PapaDoc223 wrote: »
    I will say this Terror Squad had the potential to reach G-Unit/Murder INC status but missed alot of opportunities. Terro Squad is on of thos hip hop what ifs. The Don Cartegana Album is dope i have 2 tracks. The Hidden Hand and Triplets.

That terror squad album was ass tho
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    He is on Def Jam FFNY tho
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    When your character walks in the ring to "Take A Look At My Life" when you're about to fight ? >>>>>
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    NO
    grYmes wrote: »

JOSE was multi plat... MULTI Platinum... As a solo artist he has sold over 3million records in his career...

Yea, if you add up all 10 albums... He only has ONE Platinum album. Your record sales logic is a little fuckered up. We know damn well album sales don't equal to be the king of anything. If that's the case Ja Rule was the king at a time & that's a lie. Joe never did anything to justify that status or even the status of a great MC for that matter. Always followed trends & never came with ? that was genuine. Once Pun died it seems Joe gave up on trying to be somewhat lyrical & tired his best next decade to get radio play with some degrees of success, but no one up on hip hop at that time would take him seriously as king of anything.

Thats what Im saying, JOSE was double plat or near, Don Cartagena was gold, the rest added together is over 3mil... Im not equating record sales to being K.O.N.Y, but its part of it...

Joe followed trends??? Hes been wrecking schitt for 25 years, dude was wearing sheep skin jackets in the South Bronx before he was a rapper lol What trends did he follow??? He has EVOLVED and stayed relevant, just like most artists have to, from Jay, Nas, 50, Dr Dre to Madonna!!!

He's always kept it street aside from lead singles for the clubs and radio, which is standard, but he also spits conscious schitt too... Him and Birdman were one of the first to help make DJ Khaled the star he is...

He has tunes with Diamond D, Scarface, Big L, KRS, Guru, MOP, Sadat X, Doug E Fresh, Mad Lion, Smiff n Wessun, Birdman, Wayne, Kool G Rap, Nas, Raekwon, Premo, Finesse, LL, Mobb Deep, Nas, Cormega, Jada to EM and T.I... Oh and Big Pun... Thats a list of whos who in rap, and shows the respect he has in in the industry... And theres probably loads Ive missed...
  • grYmes
    edited October 2015
    Options
    NO

Thats what Im saying, JOSE was double plat or near, Don Cartagena was gold, the rest added together is over 3mil...

Joe followed trends??? Hes been wrecking schitt for 25 years, dude was wearing sheep skin jackets in the South Bronx before he was a rapper lol What trends did he follow??? He has EVOLVED and stayed relevant, just like most artists have to, from Jay, Nas, 50 and Madonna!!!

He's always kept it street aside from lead singles for the clubs and radio, which is standard, but he also spits conscious schitt too... Him and Birdman were one of the first to help make DJ Khaled the star he is...

He has tunes with Diamond D, Scarface, Big L, KRS, Guru, MOP, Sadat X, Doug E Fresh, Mad Lion, Smiff n Wessun, Birdman, Wayne, Kool G Rap, Nas, Raekwon, Premo, Finesse, LL, Mobb Deep, Nas, Cormega, Jada to EM and T.I... Oh and Big Pun... Thats a list of whos who in rap, and shows the respect he has in in the industry... And theres probably loads Ive missed...

-The sales aspect don't mean ? .

-Joe was damn near a southern artist the other half of his career.

-What the hell does sheep skin jackets gotta do with rappin. I'm talking about strictly music here.

-Puttin on DJ Khaled don't got ? to do with this (if anything it makes me laugh, letting that overpaid hypeman onto the rap world)

-He's not nice on the mic, other than bits & pieces over the years (which I'm sure was ghostwritten).

- He has joints with all them dudes that I know for a fact 95% outshined him in his own ? .

-When the last time anyone talked about wantin to cop that new Fat Joe? I'll wait.

-How you mention Jay, Nas, & Madonna in the same sentence? WTF?

• water ur seeds
    Options
    NO

Thats what Im saying, JOSE was double plat or near, Don Cartagena was gold, the rest added together is over 3mil...

Joe followed trends??? Hes been wrecking schitt for 25 years, dude was wearing sheep skin jackets in the South Bronx before he was a rapper lol What trends did he follow??? He has EVOLVED and stayed relevant, just like most artists have to, from Jay, Nas, 50 and Madonna!!!

-What the hell does sheep skin jackets gotta do with rappin. I'm talking about strictly music here.

-Puttin on DJ Khaled don't got ? to do with this (if anything it makes me laugh, letting that overpaid hypeman onto the rap world)

-He's not nice on the mic, other than bits & pieces over the years (which I'm sure was ghostwritten).

- He has joints with all them dudes that I know for a fact 95% outshined him in his own ? .

-When the last time anyone talked about wantin to cop that new Fat Joe? I'll wait.

Sales does mean schitt, ask Jay, 50 and Wayne and Nas...

Sheep Skin jackets in the 80s was referring to you saying he followed trends... Which also follows on to the point about DJ Khaled, he helped make him the star is now, everyone is on that schitt now or at one point, Joe was one of the first...

Are you serious, Joe bodied most cats on the fckn mic... Which goes to show, you really havnt actually listened to his music... Only his wack singles like 'Lean Back'...

I copped 'Darkside', it was fckn dope and most cats over 26 who like real hip hop music will tell you the same thing...

And I guess I need to spell it out for you, the reason I mentioned them in the same sentence was to prove the point that every ARTIST from Jay-Z allll the way to Madonna have to EVLOVE as artists...
  • grYmes
    Options
    NO

Sheep Skin jackets in the 80s was referring to you saying he followed trends... Which also follows on to the point about DJ Khaled, he helped make him the star is now, everyone is on that schitt now or at one point, Joe was one of the first...

Are you serious, Joe bodied most cats on the fckn mic... Which goes to show, you really havnt actually listened to his music... Only his wack singles like 'Lean Back'...

I copped 'Darkside', it was fckn dope and most cats over 26 who like real hip hop music will tell you the same thing...

And I guess I need to spell it out for you, the reason I mentioned them in the same sentence was to prove the point that every ARTIST from Jay-Z allll the way to Madonna have to EVLOVE as artists...

Lol, you sound a lil lost dude. This about Joe being a viable MC right? I don't see Joe on nobodies 10 ten, hell even top 25 and you big him up like he's a ? legend. When it comes to THIS conversaton no to me the sales don't mean ? . This about the music. I've listened to Joe's ? at least up until Darkside & while he's had his moments he ain't that nice. Who brings up Joe when it comes to the greats in hop hop? ? , who brings him up when it comes to the greats in NEW YORK? Dude hasn't evolved, he still says "? " like that ? just came out.. Only thing that ? evolved is his calorie intake. How the hell you even try to mention Jay & Madonna when it comes to evolving? One only talks about rich man ? & tries slight trap lines while pushin 50 (and Jay is a legend) to try to stay relevant. The other tries to be a sex symbol& looks like a pumpkin on my stoop in April. Stop tryin to take up for Joe, he average.
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    NO

Lol, you sound a lil lost dude. This about Joe being a viable MC right? I don't see Joe on nobodies 10 ten, hell even top 25 and you big him up like he's a ? legend. When it comes to THIS conversaton no to me the sales don't mean ? . This about the music. I've listened to Joe's ? at least up until Darkside & while he's had his moments he ain't that nice. Who brings up Joe when it comes to the greats in hop hop? ? , who brings him up when it comes to the greats in NEW YORK? Dude hasn't evolved, he still says "? " like that ? just came out.. Only thing that ? evolved is his calorie intake. How the hell you even try to mention Jay & Madonna when it comes to evolving? One only talks about rich man ? & tries slight trap lines while pushin 50 (and Jay is a legend) to try to stay relevant. The other tries to be a sex symbol& looks like a pumpkin on my stoop in April. Stop tryin to take up for Joe, he average.

I cant be assed to argue as its getting very tiresome, but for better or worse Jay and Madonna both evolved, clearly... As has Nas, LL Cool J, whether its just down to changing names, aliases etc etc etc...

All the other legends like KRS One give Joe his props... LL Cool J and Fat Joe are for some reason mad over looked... LL is on my Top15 of all time, Fat Joe is top 15 NY rappers of all time...

This wasnt about Joe being the GOAT, it was for being in a moment of time, the K.O.N.Y... Just like Ja could of staked a claim for a moment and Ja isnt in the top 50 of all time...
  • grYmes
    Options
    NO

I cant be assed to argue as its getting very tiresome, but for better or worse Jay and Madonna both evolved, clearly... As has Nas, LL Cool J, whether its just down to changing names, aliases etc etc etc...

All the other legends like KRS One give Joe his props... LL Cool J and Fat Joe are for some reason mad over looked... LL is on my Top15 of all time, Fat Joe is top 15 NY rappers of all time...

This wasnt about Joe being the GOAT, it was for being in a moment of time, the K.O.N.Y... Just like Ja could of staked a claim for a moment and Ja isnt in the top 50 of all time...

But they wern't at all. Joe & Ja wern't at ALL even sniffing that crown. Jay never relinquished it & while many can argue a case for 50 during this time, no one in their rabbit ass mind is bringing Joe & Ja up. Yes Jay & Madonna evolved but not for the better. As it pertains to quality anyways. Never said you claimed he was the GOAT, but all that was a lil Stanish.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    I think he gets slept on and overlooked alot, but he was never king, there was always somebody in NY out shining him.