IC Discussion: Colorism in the black community

Options

Comments

• jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    Wuwop wrote: »
    If the mulatto population grows it will create another competitor to push the blacks further down

Another "what if"

Just STOP!

Y'all ? so damn negative!

So I guess when the u.s let the Italians and Germans and Asians in America and other immigrants, pre industrialization ,and then let them get out of the ghetto and become police officers and kept us there that was what if.....sit yo confused ass down
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    @Khaleesi u said you will be telling your daughter she's black
    She doesnt look like it at all maybe she'll grow into it
    Pero
    What will u say to her when she comes home from school wondering(possibly crying) y kids are telling her the opposite of what her mother taught her?
    The threads originally about colourism but your daughter doesnt even look black i.e. lightskinned black in the least.

How will that conversation go?

I am preparing for it because I know that it's gonna come.

I'm hoping the convo would go something like this:

http://d-isfordivine.tumblr.com/post/131282463126/robbieonaa-thechocolatemermaid

BUT before it gets to that point, I would want to nip it in the bud beforehand so that when she does go to school and the evil little girls try to talk slick to her, she with ether their souls and be able to defend herself and confidently walk away feeling good about herself.

Knowledge is the best defense.
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    "Middle class"
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    If the mulatto population grows it will create another competitor to push the blacks further down

Another "what if"

Just STOP!

Not really what ifs...

There have been biracials that been great to the fight.

But South America is a great example of a collective mixed populations being a competitor and yes it is backed by white supremacy.

We are a mixed country that is backed by white supremacy, your point?

Get the ? out of here!

I'm so over it.

• MistyKnight
    Options

Another "what if"

Just STOP!

So I guess when the u.s let the Italians and Germans and Asians in America and other immigrants, pre industrialization ,and then let them get out of the ghetto and become police officers and kept us there that was what if.....sit yo confused ass down

What In the ? ?

Go eat a snickers or something. Y'all ? ain't making no damn sense!
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another "what if"

Just STOP!

Not really what ifs...

But South America is a great example of a collective mixed populations being a competitor and yes it is backed by white supremacy.

Get the ? out of here!

I'm so over it.

And you didn't use any examples but rhetoric and I used a concrete evidence to showcase this isn't a what if situation.

You have to use logic and evidence to prove this will not happen.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Now we are ? now?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @desertrain10

Thank you for your candor, openness, and willingness to articulate your point off view. This discourse has been very enlightening.
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    @desertrain10

I never said members of my extended family have never benefited form light skinned privilege... it is likely, and I wouldnt be surprised by it in the slightest. If you feel that I am downplaying that possibility, let me dispell that here. I merely said that assuming that every light skinned person in American History has benefited from this privilege is a very bold statement and unlikely.

I have never been a proponent of ignoring or not talking about light skinned privilege, I just don't think it should be in any way used as a justification or rationale for tempered discussion regarding the retaliation of blacks against their own kind. The way in which you have framed your arguments has suggested that you harbor that sentiment.

@desertrain10

My point is that whatever the basis for "mistreatment", it is still wrong, period.

And I am not being defensive, I am just speaking my mind...

Your underlying tone seems to be that whatever mistreatment she or anyone in a similar situaition experienced- "oh well" ... Because the majority of people like her experience "light skinned privilege".

Your down playing it.

Excuse the analogy, but How is that different than a white person down playing racism because it isn't "their truth".

The dismissal and apathy is what I disagree with.

Regarding my wife- no she isn't the fairest of skin, she is somewhere in the middle of the road. That doesn't mean that she couldn't have been treated differently based on her skin tone.

In the instance of the sorority, no I don't have signed affidavits describing the precise behavior she endured and the nature of it... She didn't "fit in" , largely because of the aforementioned reasons - according to her account.
    Feel like we're talking in circles

But I never said or implied that the mistreatment of your grandmother or any other light skinned person by darker skinned ppl was right let alone acceptable

And I didn't mean to dismiss the experiences of ur family...or to be condescending

I believe it did happen

And it can really hurt to be shunned or have the core of ur identity questioned by our own people

However, it's also important to note the source of this resentment when addressing what happened to ur family....

1. Ur grandmother still had access and privilege that her peers did not because of the systemic oppression they experienced

2. Most ppl even blks stereotype light skinned ppl, especially women, UP...

3. The way ur wife speaks, for some could represent whiteness, the oppressor... it represents surrender...assimilation

All of which I'm sure at one point in time ur family has benefited from

All of which YOU seem to be downplaying, take into consideration

Otherwise without addressing the aforementioned this convo will just sound like we're reading lines from a tragic mulatto trope

Ok. Let's leave my family out of this... There seems to be a perception that I am soliciting sympathy because of my personal ties to the issue ... I am speaking on the issue itself. They were just meant to be examples to illustrate.

First, thank you for the apology and your willingness to hear a different perspective.

Help me understand.

The only conclusion I can come to is that you are propsing that this mistreatment is in some way justified.
    Oj
    If we do, in fact, agree that it is wrong... Then when addressing and working towards a solution, the rationale behind the "mistreatment" is moot... Unless we are using that information to help form a viable solution.

What is your purpose in saying;

"All of which I'm sure at one point in time ur family has benefited from"

when referencing the "light skinned privilege" you described?

First off, I would say that is an assumption... Just because trends can be identified within a group of similar individuals (light skinned blacks enjoying light skinned privilege) does not mean that those themes are reflected in the lives of every single one of those individuals.

It increases your chances of recieving that privilege, but it doesn't guarantee it.
    However, these indiciduals are, often times, mistreated by their own race because of this perception.

Second, your comment almost comes off that light skinned individuals (or blacks who "act white") should be apologetic or that they should pay penance for the "assimilation" they have participated in. Talking a certain way or being born lightskinned is not a premeditated ploy to game the system or betray their own race...

These are just natural characteristics of people. Why should they be mistreated for it? ... Regardless of the privilege it may or may not afford them...

What is talking or acting "white" mean anyway?
    Why does it matter what skin tone I have?
    Why is it important which neighborhood I grew up in?

We are all just people.

It's time to stop assigning blame and arguing which shade or type of African American has collectively endured the most opression.

IMO, this just creates more angst and mistreatment for all sides.

4. All I ask of ppl is to have empathy and to challenge the status quo...nothing more or less

I completely agree.

It would appear that we are moving towards the same goal from different sides.

That same empathy and desire that you seek from others regarding the perils of light skinned privilege... I am asking of you regarding the damage that we are doing to ourselves by not accepting millions of or own kind because of the resentment stemming from the belief that they too closely resemble the "oppressor".

We can recognize the privileges specific members of our race enjoy without blaming them and ostracizing them for it.

Lastly, I'm of the mindset colorism and racial policing is a social problem perpetuated by all facets of soceity thus it calls for more than preaching unity and self love. Though that is a great start

I couldn't agree more.

I think that letting go of the resentment and embracing a spirit of diversity and inclusion within our own race, can go a long way toward this end.

I think we have found ourselves in an entirely different debate though, lol. Be careful not to catch a stray bullet while browsing the thread.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to not be an exposure thread....this is doing numbers fast
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Different ideologies will pull in numbers.
  • jetlifebih
    Options

Another "what if"

Just STOP!

What In the ? ?

Go eat a snickers or something. Y'all ? ain't making no damn sense!

It is not hard to comprehend that another group or class of people creates more competition for blacks who already have a disadvantage
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Serious question-

Are y'all in here advocating for "Black Supremacy" to counteract "White Supremacy"?

Isn't that the same thing that we hate whites for? ... But it's right when we do it?

Help me understand...

Can't we all just get along?

They idiots bruh.....they racist because some whites are racist.....

? is pro black and will marry a black ? over any other race but don't kno that the white boy got the black woman's mind....

What's really funny is the white boy got the minds of some of these militant negroes because it's clear ? doesn't have their minds.....

Lol smh ?

So we gonna act like in the u.s, many women of all backgrounds dont partake in whoredom, n not just blk women???

But ill let u tell it.

The wht boy got alotta women's minds.
    We living in the wht mans world, not ? 's ...
    ? said the devil and his wht minions will control the world in the last days.
  • MistyKnight
    Options

Another "what if"

Just STOP!

Not really what ifs...

Get the ? out of here!

I'm so over it.

And you didn't use any examples but rhetoric and I used a concrete evidence to showcase this isn't a what if situation.

? , where are the numbers? Show me the statics or something.

Y'all just talk out of your ass and throw ? around without any concrete evidence that will back up what you're saying.

Are you psychic? You have visions like raven? You say that there have been some biracial that have been "great to the fight"... Who are you to say that many of these future mixed kids won't be great to the fight?

Negative ass ? .
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lost and monkeys ass ? trying to outsmart each other...i just find it comical that the real posters who are about that black pride ? in real, ? like myself, dont even entertain threads like these...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Also, think of how much we would limit ourselves if we only dated within our race.

We wouldnt have Barack Obama, Bob Marely, Sade, and many other greats.

For me personally, I wouldn't have my beautiful daughter. And she Is a ? BLESSING. Who knows, she could create the cure for cancer.

Being pro-black should have no limits.

ok...imma have to stop you there.

we do not need help to be unlimited and being dependent on ourselves will not limit us. self preservation is something we are born with but are taught to not respect because others dont want us to know our strength

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    to be in an interracial relationship...you can not be 100% pro black because you have to be partial to your mate unless you are selfish like every other race. thy are 100% their race and happen to be ? an/or marry someone exotic
  • MistyKnight
    Options

Different ideologies will pull in numbers.

Hell Yeah!! Especially psychopathic ones.

Especially those who constantly throw out negative "what if's" and give the worst case scenario in everything!

? y'all. Seriously.

I love me some eggplant & all, but y'all extremist ? make my ? dry up real quick.
  • MistyKnight
    Options

lost and monkeys ass ? trying to outsmart each other...i just find it comical that the real posters who are about that black pride ? in real, ? like myself, dont even entertain threads like these...

The premise of this thread is a very important discussion for the black community to have... Its just these pro black ? extremist with their crazy hypotheticals who turn this ? into something else.

? .
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    Yo love enchilada
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I don't give 2 ? what ? like @zzombie say. Get the ? out of here with that "you can't be pro black if you are in an interracial relationship" ? .

So I was pro-black when I was with my Haitian ex? I was pro-black when I was with my African ex? I was pro-black with every other black man I dated? But now all of a sudden I am not pro black because I fell in love and married a Mexican? Oh. Ok.

It's crazy because I wasn't even pro-black when I was dating my black exes... I was cooning like a mother ? . It was actually my Mexican husband who educated me and pushed me to wake the ? up and see what's really going on regarding the social injustice that blacks face in the US. He made me watch pro-black movies and suddenly everything he was trying to tell me started making sense the day of the Charleston Shootings.

& you are being a hypocrite @zzombie since you claim to be "pro-black" when you are here trying to knock down our brothers and sisters for choosing to be in an interracial relationship. What about unity? How are we going to build a strong army when you are so hell bent in fighting against blacks for being in interracial relationships?

Who's side are you on?

@damobb2deep He's delusional... Or maybe just ? . After all, he was the one who got his account phished because he was the only ? clicking links when EVERYONE knows that you don't click links on the IC lol.

He is a Garveyite and Garvey didn't trust anyone else to be in our group. Pro-black after the fact is a touchy situation, it's not like you were pro-black and then married a man from another race. Brother Polight touched on this situation and I completely agreed with him on this issue that we all could be put on the cross easily when we was out of touch with consciousness and understanding ourselves.

Now, if you are single and Pro-Black your every effort is to be with someone who is black with your same views. Now, you are in a better position waking up now you have the knowledge and understanding of why you should be with your own(Same thinking, not every black person is good) and support your own. But I wouldn't attack you, cause not everyone like Zombie was privileged to be under pro-black men and come from an ancestry of fighting back and preserving their African heritage and knows what specific tribe they descend from.

GOAT post
  • MistyKnight
    edited November 2015
    Options
    to be in an interracial relationship...you can not be 100% pro black because you have to be partial to your mate unless you are selfish like every other race. thy are 100% their race and happen to be ? an/or marry someone exotic

You an extremist ? too?.

Let's just settle and say that we got different definitions of what it means to be pro black.

My definition is that I am PROUD to be black. I am anti-systemic racism and am against the white supremacy of this country and that I will do everything in my power to educate those who haven't been woke yet to see what's really going on in AmeriKKKa and what's been going on.

That's it.
  • MistyKnight
    Options

Chill. That's racist.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chill. That's racist.
    blacks cant be racist.....
  • Ajackson17
    Options

Another "what if"

Just STOP!

Not really what ifs...

Get the ? out of here!

I'm so over it.

? , where are the numbers? Show me the statics or something.

Y'all just talk out of your ass and throw ? around without any concrete evidence that will back up what you're saying.

Are you psychic? You have visions like raven? You say that there have been some biracial that have been "great to the fight"... Who are you to say that many of these future mixed kids won't be great to the fight?

Negative ass ? .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanqueamiento

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SqubC7jIH4

Check out this documentary by Professor Henry Gates

http://www.academia.edu/5774686/Whitening_Segregation_and_Racial_Policy_in_Brazil

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    We disagree. to be pro black means always putting blacks first in any potential situation. Let's say you marry a white woman with brother's in the police force. You still going to go as hard against police brutality in the black community??? Probably not

What if you marry a black woman with brothers in the police force? You going to say that you couldn't go as hard against police brutality in the black community? What's the difference.

Besides, how would you even marry a chick without her understanding that stance. Of course you're going to go just as hard against police brutality whether your wife is black or white. She knew what she was getting when she married you, so she's going to have to respect that.

The difference is my wife would be black and If her brothers are also then on a personal level am far more willing to forgive and let live if any problems arise. Also the odds of my wife sharing what could be her brothers racist and antiblack perspective in much lower