Is this enough cardio for a workout?

Options
Nthngis4vr
Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Weight Room
15 mins on the elliptical
weight lifting arms & legs then another 15 after?

Comments

• knivez
    knivez Members Posts: 57
    edited June 2010
    Options
    how much are you burning in those 30 minutes?30 minutes is fine for cardio if the intensity is there and your heart rate is high.
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I ended up doing 30 mins before weight training and I burned about 300 calories.

That's cool though.

The thing is that my sister is my gym partner and she hates cardio, likes to lift. I don't really like to lift at the gym, love cardio. The 15 min thing was a compromise. If we can do what we need to in the 15 mins then it should work out perfectly for us.

Thanks for responding. :)
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    u should do cardio after u lift..u want to give 100% when u lift..also there is some study about u burn more fat doing cardio after lifting...iono if that's exactly true
  • Nthngis4vr
    edited June 2010
    Options
    really shad? super intense or moderate pace?
  • knivez
    knivez Members Posts: 57
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I ended up doing 30 mins before weight training and I burned about 300 calories.

That's cool though.

The thing is that my sister is my gym partner and she hates cardio, likes to lift. I don't really like to lift at the gym, love cardio. The 15 min thing was a compromise. If we can do what we need to in the 15 mins then it should work out perfectly for us.

Thanks for responding. :)

That's cool. If you think the 15 minutes is too short you can just up the resistance on the elliptical so you'll still get a good workout in those 15 minutes.
  • shadb33
    edited June 2010
    Options
    really shad? super intense or moderate pace?

Yea I've read up on it. And the intensity of your cardio depends on your goals. I only do 10 mins of cardio after I lift because I'm trying to gain weight (muscle mass), but at the same time stay lean without gaining alotta fat. A steady pace could be good for you. You don't seem overweight or anything you just want to tone right?
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    shadb33 wrote: »
    u should do cardio after u lift..u want to give 100% when u lift..also there is some study about u burn more fat doing cardio after lifting...iono if that's exactly true

wtf? someone told me it was the other way around! :(
    I need the truth.
    but honestly I find doing cardio first just works better for me because I need to use all the energy I can get for my cardio sessions vs minimal lifting I do
  • shadb33
    edited June 2010
    Options
    wtf? someone told me it was the other way around! :(
    I need the truth.
    but honestly I find doing cardio first just works better for me because I need to use all the energy I can get for my cardio sessions vs minimal lifting I do

Some say do cardio early in the morning on an empty stomach, some say before lifting, some say after, some say at least 2 hours after lifting, etc.....I'm telling you, fitness is a crazy industry..people have their own tricks and strategies that give them results..but yea if u trying to lose weight, u wanna give more effort towards cardio obviously..and your DIET
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    When I switched to cardio last it got me over a plateau that I had hit and I lost 10 lbs this month. I'm trying to get cut. I only do 15 minutes at the end before I use to do 30 minutes prior. I select manual program run at a 6.5 on the treadmill for 3 straight minutes and lower it to 4.3 walk 2 minutes than just repeat 2 more times for the 15 minuts to be up. I sweat like a damn slave but it's working.