General Manager - Which Sport Is The Most Challenging To Turn A Sorry Team Into A Winner

Options
313 wayz
313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you are a GM, which sport do you think would be the most difficult to turn a perennial losing team into a championship winning team and which sport is the easiest to turn a sorry team into a winning team. Also, how long do you think it would take you to accomplish this. I don't know how to make a poll.

Comments

• Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Baseball is not the easiest but the most possible you can look at teams like royals and Astros for example
    NBA has to be the toughest, the league is built on superstars and parody is tough for the small market teams minus the spurs
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd say football. U can turn a basketball team around with 1 great player. Baseball has no salary cap so if your owner wants to spend you can become great overnight in free agency. But football you can't win with only a couple great players and there's a cap on how much money I can just throw at players
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Basketball easily, right now there's only 4 teams with a realistic chance of winning it all, to get to that level is the hardest out of all the sports
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    football... easily...

baseball you can change ? with a player or two and good pitching...

basketball the "stars" honestly can make themselves.. not saying its easy but look at jimmy butler... pozingis( not saying he is a "star" yet but he has surprised people..) steph curry... ect..

football everything has to "go right" and honestly you might not even know the problem.. and things change so much every year because of inpatients... people will change quarterbacks yet the offensive coordinator sucks.... they will fire the head coach even though he has only been on the job 2 years... they will put a rookie quarterback in the line of fire say he sucks and draft another the next year.. see how that will get you nowhere?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    I'd say football. U can turn a basketball team around with 1 great player. Baseball has no salary cap so if your owner wants to spend you can become great overnight in free agency. But football you can't win with only a couple great players and there's a cap on how much money I can just throw at players

I Dont agree because you have probaly the highest pool of mentaly tough athletes and people willing to get better

unlike basketball where ? fall off overnight
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody that says football is dumb.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    So many teams go from last place in their divison to first place.

It's a reason why so many different teams make the playoffs each year.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    So many teams go from last place in their divison to first place.

It's a reason why so many different teams make the playoffs each year.
    its usually "middle tier" teams that do this...

when has the rams.... jaguars.... browns... tampa bay...ect been in the playoffs? those teams are bottom of the barrel ( rams more lower middle tier but still) teams.. all havent been in the playoffs at least 10 years.. how is that dumb?

now take teams like the ravens... redskins... cowboys... vikings... chiefs ect... those are middle tier teams that can have "off seasons" but are right back at it next year...
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I couldn't say...it's so much incompetence across all the leagues

You would think some of these teams being paid to stay bad

I'm a Jaguars fan and I saw Del Rio and the GM were ? that team up 2 years in...

Blazers fan, we traded for ? Afflalo when we had youngins on the squad who were better for us than his Wack ass...one of those youngins was Will Barton...so we basically gave him away

We got peanut butter ? sandwiches for Batum who done turned up in Charlotte (wasn't against moving him but what'd we get)

And lol at Jags not being in for 10 years, watch your ? mouth...and then prop up your(lmaoo I meant LA's) Rams who've been irrelevant since 04
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are we talking about a playoff team or a championship contending team?
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    KingHustle wrote: »
    Are we talking about a playoff team or a championship contending team?

A championship contending team
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Once the playoffs start in the NFL. Anybody can win

The Giants won two super bowls and didn't even make it the playoffs the year before they won it. And they won it as a the last seed.

Same thing Pitt did.

Washington went from worst to first this year.

Dallas went from 1st to last.

San Fran went from the bottom to 3 straight NFCCGs and right back to the bottom

Any given Sunday
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Basketball is the hardest! Once you have a superstar. You spend everything you have to keep them around. Without them you are screwed. Detroit with Larry Brown as their coach was the last team to really accomplish winning a championship without a bonafide superstar outside of Rasheed Wallace.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm gonna go with basketball simply on the basis that it's been 42 years and counting since the Knicks last won a chip!
  • Alpha_Ambition
    Alpha_Ambition Members Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Hate when ? say parody instead of parity lol

LOL ? u bruh
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I could see football being the hardest. You have to hit on a lot of your picks, and 2 or 3 players aren't going to carry you the way they will in basketball. If you get a good QB, you need to draft good OL to block for him. And if they block, you need to have receivers that can catch the ball. Then you need to have a good defense to stop the other team from scoring. Then add in the fact that the careers of football players are short, so you need to continue to make good pick ups, because players are constantly leaving.

Basketball and baseball teams can be carried by less players than a football team, the players have longer careers, and (IMO) coaching is more important in football than it is in those sports.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can't believe people are really saying football in the parity, salary cap era. Every year there's teams that are successful out of nowhere. Shizlansky was right, Any Given Sunday, look at those Giants squads. Okay yeah its a huge roster and a hard cap, but only highly dysfunctional organizations like the Browns seem to be ALWAYS putting awful teams out there. That says something imho.

Basketball you need The Guy to win a title ofc but its easy to make the playoffs if you actually want to.

Baseball imho is the hardest because of the whole minor league/farm system dynamic. It just moves in slow motion compared to the others. In football and basketball, there's a draft that can change your fortunes pretty much overnight if you get lucky enough. That's IMPOSSIBLE in baseball, when you draft somebody you gotta wait like 4 years before they're even ready to be a Rookie on a major league field. Hell, look at the Phillies. Their old GM made a bunch of flashy trade moves for elite talent, but depleted the farm system in doing so. Now they gotta spend YEARS in the desert while they re-stock the cupboard and hope the new farm talent develops into something. ? 's brutal.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Hate when ? say parody instead of parity lol

LOL ? u bruh

Hey at least you ain't say "inpatients" like Mobb
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    football... easily...

baseball you can change ? with a player or two and good pitching...

basketball the "stars" honestly can make themselves.. not saying its easy but look at jimmy butler... pozingis( not saying he is a "star" yet but he has surprised people..) steph curry... ect..

football everything has to "go right" and honestly you might not even know the problem.. and things change so much every year because of inpatients... people will change quarterbacks yet the offensive coordinator sucks.... they will fire the head coach even though he has only been on the job 2 years... they will put a rookie quarterback in the line of fire say he sucks and draft another the next year.. see how that will get you nowhere?

@Siqnih Da Trapper
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's basketball,

Hawks been around for at least 50 years and they JUST made it past the 2nd round last season, for the 1st time.

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't Hawks have racists in the FO
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Basketball....if you make it to the playoffs you have to beat the better team 4 times to advance.

Baseball has no salary caps

Football u can advance by luck or if the other team has one random off night bc you only need one win to advance.

Cant say I know where hockey stands on this
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    I can't believe people are really saying football in the parity, salary cap era. Every year there's teams that are successful out of nowhere. Shizlansky was right, Any Given Sunday, look at those Giants squads. Okay yeah its a huge roster and a hard cap, but only highly dysfunctional organizations like the Browns seem to be ALWAYS putting awful teams out there. That says something imho.

Basketball you need The Guy to win a title ofc but its easy to make the playoffs if you actually want to.

Baseball imho is the hardest because of the whole minor league/farm system dynamic. It just moves in slow motion compared to the others. In football and basketball, there's a draft that can change your fortunes pretty much overnight if you get lucky enough. That's IMPOSSIBLE in baseball, when you draft somebody you gotta wait like 4 years before they're even ready to be a Rookie on a major league field. Hell, look at the Phillies. Their old GM made a bunch of flashy trade moves for elite talent, but depleted the farm system in doing so. Now they gotta spend YEARS in the desert while they re-stock the cupboard and hope the new farm talent develops into something. ? 's brutal.

I hear what you're saying, but there's a different way to look at some of those things. Like the salary cap helps level the playing field in football. But in baseball the absence of a salary cap means you can buy championships. And I don't watch baseball, but it doesn't seem like their managers need to do NEARLY as much as a NFL coach does to win. In the NFL you need to collect a lot of player talent, and coaching talent. And it's hard to get the most important position, QB, because they don't switch teams unless their career is basically over.

In baseball, if you have the money, you can get the team. So if you're filthy rich, it's easier in baseball. If your team has less money, it's more difficult. Depends on whose angle you're coming from.