White College Students Who Put Bike Lock Around Black Student's Neck Avoid Hate Crime Convictions

Options
D. Morgan
D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
Three white students at California's San Jose State University skated by with only misdemeanor battery charges after putting a bike lock around a black student's neck, attempting to lock him in a closet and referring to him as "three-fifths" of a person, among other harassments that a jury ultimately concluded were not hate crimes.

On Monday, Joseph "Brett" Bomgardner, 21, was convicted of misdemeanor battery along with his accomplices, Logan Beaschler and Colin Warren, both 20, Mercury News reported. A jury of six men and six women were deadlocked on hate crime charges.

The crimes took place in 2013 when the three assailants forced Donald Williams Jr., a 17-year-old freshman at the time, to wear a U-shaped bike lock around his neck. In another incident, prosecutors said, the three men tried locking Williams in a closet, according to NBC Bay Area.

The bullying only came to light after Williams' parents visited him and noticed a Confederate flag hanging up in his shared dorm suite, along with racist phrases including "three-fifths" written on a white board there, according to the Associated Press.

The flag belonged to Beaschler, who testified in court that it was displayed as a symbol of states' rights, according to Mercury News. A ? and other ? symbols written on a dry erase board were simply political satire, he argued.

Attorneys for the defendants said the abuse was nothing more than a "prank war" that was "immature" and went too far. But former Judge LaDoris Cordell, head of San Jose University's task force on racial discrimination, disagreed.

"I am saddened that 12 jurors could not agree that calling a black male 'Three-fifths' or 'Fraction,' or forcing a lock around his neck, or creating an environment promoting racism with Confederate memorabilia, or hearing how this young man was humiliated, amounted to a hate crime," Cordell, who is black, told the publication. "This verdict demonstrates that we are a long way from living in a post-racist America."

Of the 12-person jury, not a single member was black.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/san-jose-state-not-ruled-hate-crime_us_56ccb48de4b041136f188b0e?utm_hp_ref=black-voices

Comments

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looking at the comments even white people are sick if this well except that one dumb smart ? who asian go figure
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Funny how they get a jury of their peers but we can't

Oj ? us up on that...
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo what the ? ?!!! Nah that's an asswhooping for every one of them.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looking at the comments even white people are sick if this well except that one dumb smart ? who asian go figure

Yeah that Asian ? going hard for white supremacy in there....even the whites can't defend that but the Asian ? trying hard AF.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruhs parents came through saw that ? called the authorities and wow nothing happened.
    I feel em on tryna do the right thing but that ? ass mindset is prolly what got a lock on their sons neck in the first place.
    As 700 put it this ? aint happening to no real ? .

Even if i was ? enough to have that happen to me in college my parents seeing that.....? my pops seeing that, pshhh.

Buncha uncles, brothers, cousins, family friends woulda came through, cacs would leave that campus ? .
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White privilege is a muthafucka.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Of the 12-person jury, not a single member was black.

That's the answer to them gettin' off like that. Can't mess up them white kids lives for a "harmless joke" huh?

This whole story is messed up. lol They even left the 3/5's of a person joke on the white board just as a reminder. And it took for his parents to come visit him for this to come to light smh. Whoever that kid is, he might as well find the nearest HBCU and transfer. Someone failed this boy miserably far as standing up for himself.....
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Clicked the link... expected to see Asian anti-black racism, which is a very real thing.

But that's not what I found. In fact, the suggestion that she is "caping" for whites or white supremacy has me scratching my head.

All she said was that 'No blacks on the jury' does not equal 'all-white jury.' And she is absolutely right. There are other people in the world besides blacks and whites.

But right or not, there is no way that those comments, considered by themselves, can reasonably be construed as "caping" for whites. The suggestion is groundless.

Why did she say it then? My guess is that she is the type of person who gets kicks out of pointing out logical mistakes that people make. If this is right, then she would be just as likely to point out a mistake of reasoning with respect to something may appear to paint blacks in a negative light.

True, it is possible that this isn't the case, and that she wouldn't have made an analogous comment if the races were reversed. But one can't justifiably believe that this is the case going by what she said.

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white people are like those dinosaurs in Jurassic world...

they keep testing the fences and once they find a weakness ...they gone
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a bigger issue with the person who allowed the bike lock to be placed around his neck, then went on to allow other stuff to happen. He just took it all until his parents happened to visit one day? Who does that? Life is going to be real hard for him if he's that much of a pushover.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copper wrote: »

Yeah that Asian ? going hard for white supremacy in there....even the whites can't defend that but the Asian ? trying hard AF.

Is there another post she deleted or something? Is it buried under the other post? Yall might need to post it, cause i cant find it. I saw her simply stating that no Blacks on the jury doesn't mean the jury was all white. Which is true. A racist Latino or Asian could have let them boys go as well.

I didn't see anything of her defending the crime or jury selection. So what are yall looking at?
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    They should interview the father and ask him did he raise his son to be that passive.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should interview the father and ask him did he raise his son to be that passive.

I would have demolished them ? .
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's wild as hell. What's sickening is, those washichu's will not change and will go on to negatively affect the lives more Blacks. This is what happens when Blacks let whites get comfortable around them. A smart Black man would have alerted the ALCU or the Jewish community to the ? symbols. Then tackled the confederate flag being taken down and punishing the students who were flying that ? .

By putting the situation in the hands of the average white it was a no win situation.Those whites saw their own children and weren't going to ruin their lives for some ? . Shaming and putting pressure on the institution would have been the better approach.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    How does he let them do that to him? Call the police tell the school officials, do something dude. Even if you too scared to fight them.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »

The reason why I said this because I have personally seen people act this way.

Uncle and I stop at gas station high school right across the street just let out. So there are some kids picking on this one kid. The kid don't want to fight any of them. So he comes and asks my uncle and I if we can give him a ride. I don't know this kid at all. I tell him look just stand up for yourself I promise you we won't let them jump you. Next he says out his mouth is "I can't I don't fight people". I tell him "you going to have to stand up for yourself and fight somebody one day. Tell him again we not going to let them jump you stand up for yourself." He walks away one kid swings and they each just take a few swings at him at different times don't jump him at all he runs falls cuts the back of his head. Some older mad puts him in his car gives him a ride.

All I could do is shake my head. Cause we could tell them kids ? with him was suckas for real and they knew he wouldn't fight back which was why they was ? with him the first place.

Don't know if he was raised on that don't fight ? or that is just how he was naturally.
  • D. Morgan
    edited February 2016
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

Uncle and I stop at gas station high school right across the street just let out. So there are some kids picking on this one kid. The kid don't want to fight any of them. So he comes and asks my uncle and I if we can give him a ride. I don't know this kid at all. I tell him look just stand up for yourself I promise you we won't let them jump you. Next he says out his mouth is "I can't I don't fight people". I tell him "you going to have to stand up for yourself and fight somebody one day. Tell him again we not going to let them jump you stand up for yourself." He walks away one kid swings and they each just take a few swings at him at different times don't jump him at all he runs falls cuts the back of his head. Some older mad puts him in his car gives him a ride.

All I could do is shake my head. Cause we could tell them kids ? with him was suckas for real and they knew he wouldn't fight back which was why they was ? with him the first place.

Don't know if he was raised on that don't fight ? or that is just how he was naturally.

I must not have read this story right...

So a kid asked your help to get away from a situation in which he was getting bullied and you sent him back to get bullied some more?

If that is how you want to look at. I told him I'm not going to let them jump you but you have to stand up for yourself. My help was he was going to get a fair fight. He declined my offer.

I'm not in the business of helping people that don't want to help themselves. ? I look like fighting a complete strangers battle while they sit back and watch.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

I must not have read this story right...

So a kid asked your help to get away from a situation in which he was getting bullied and you sent him back to get bullied some more?

You wouldn't understand. You prolly didn't have a father to teach you how to stand up for yourself.