This searing cartoon perfectly explains how white Democrats are playing the race card

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in The Social Lounge
http://www.vox.com/2016/2/25/11113454/black-endorsements-matter-cartoon

As Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders head to the South Carolina primary, they have increasingly focused on trying to recruit black voters to their presidential campaigns. And it's gotten a bit weird — with both sides, and particularly white supporters, now throwing up endorsements from civil rights, racial justice, and Black Lives Matter leaders as a sign black voters should support them.

The cartoon "Black Endorsements Matter," from cartoonist Matt Bors, captures how weird this has all gotten in online debates over the candidates:

Black%20Endorsements%20Matter.png

Bors explained the cartoon in a post at the Daily Kos:

The "Magical ? " is a trope in cinema where a black supporting characters are "portrayed as coming to the aid of a film's white protagonists" and who "possess special insight or mystical powers," as Wikipedia has it written up. From who Ta-Nehisi Coates is voting for, to shots at John Lewis and Killer Mike's respective endorsements and missteps to reconciling the '94 crime bill and various problematic statements over the years, black support of candidates have become like Magic cards, used to defeat foes in online combat.

Anyone who has visited internet forums like Reddit, or happens to have a politically charged Facebook feed, can vouch for this.

Here is one example from r/politics, which is notoriously pro-Sanders and tends to upvote posts that are favorable of Sanders and critical of Clinton so they end up on the front page of the subreddit:

reddit%20politics%20BLM.png

Four posts in a row on the front page of r/politics were about the exact same event: a protester questioning Clinton for her comments about "superpredators," a racially charged term about black crime, and asking her to "apologize to black people for mass incarceration."

Of course, Clinton supporters are guilty of doing this as well. They promoted, as one example, civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis's comments that he never saw or met with Sanders at civil rights protests — a shot against Sanders's past remarks that he protested segregation in the 1960s. (Sanders did protest; the question is just how involved he really was and how relevant that is to today's Black Lives Matter protests.)

It's very weird, and it feels kind of exploitative. But it's what the Democratic primaries have apparently been reduced to, as black voters are likelier to decide the party's next nominee.

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reddits down voting is terrible.. they need to remove that ? .
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? DEAD @ "Magical ? : The Gathering", i always check for Matt Bors but he a fool for that one lmaoooooo
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Sanders is behind the ppl

He's the most authentic politician I've seen.
    He means well.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bernie Sanders voted for the crime bill in 1994.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »

and he claimed at the time it was a compromise because it included the violence against women act which he vigorously supported..but you can check his record and see he opposed plenty of "tough on crime" bills throughout the 90s that would've disproportionately affected Black people...while the Clintons pushed for them.
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Correct. An understated truth, when you take into account the backlash Clinton has faced.

Although to be fair, his reasoning behind it is much more justifiable than Hillary's and unlike Hillary, he doesn't have a well-documented history of being a tough-on-crime politician (which is one of Hillary's numerous ideological similarities to the Republicans she detests).

Fast forward to the present day, their positions on mass incarceration may now be fairly similar, but that wasn't always the case historically.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sanders voted for the crime bill, largely because it included some provisions that he strongly approved of, like the Violence Against Women Act AND a 10 year assault weapons ban

He voted against the 1991 crime bill, which was essentially the same bill, but the aforementioned provisions were not included

The overwhelming majority of the time he has voted against tough on crime measures. He voted against banning Pell grants (for college) for prisoners. He voted to amend the 94 crime law to ban the federal death penalty. And he voted against the Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996, which stripped defendants and prisoners of their ability to contest court rulings

The last 30, 40 years his public position has always been to address the problems facing minority communities today, America will need to focus on far more than criminal justice policies and offer significant economic opportunities in neighborhoods that have been abused and neglected for decades... a position unpopular among his constituents of lily White Vermont

With the except of her support of universal healthcare, Hilary has had little to nothing to say in regards to the struggles of black communities unless she was campaigning and needed our support

Not to mention her use of racially charged language and tactics when it benefited her or her husband's causes, like during the 2008
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bernie can backtrack all he wants. The fact is that he willingly voted for the 1994 crime bill.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Of course, Clinton supporters are guilty of doing this as well. They promoted, as one example, civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis's comments that he never saw or met with Sanders at civil rights protests — a shot against Sanders's past remarks that he protested segregation in the 1960s. (Sanders did protest; the question is just how involved he really was and how relevant that is to today's Black Lives Matter protests.)

CbnxA_IWEAAwwf8.jpg

That's not really a question.

what trips me out about the whole thing is...Sanders was REALLY out there...and has been out there for a long ass time. In the 60s he coulda just been living life being a white Jew...what the ? did he gain by being beaten by the police for ? ?

But now for some reason so-called Black "leaders" for the most part supporting Hillary Clinton by default. Why tho? What in her or Bill's record makes people think that she gives in semblance of of a quarter-? about Black people? Everybody complains about the disproportionate sentencing in the drug-laws...the Clintons championed that ? ! Hillary Clinton was going around the 90's stumping calling Black people "super-predators". Bill Clinton signed the law that expanded the war on drugs. Why are they acting like this didn't happen?

Everybody knows that the The Great Recession hit Black people waaaaay harder than everybody else. Deregulation is partly if not mostly to blame for that. It was Bill Clinton who repealed Glass-Steagle that let the Banks go wild with everybody's money. It didn't even take a decade after Clinton signing the GLBA for the entire economy to implode. The Clintons work for themselves and wall Street period. Always have always will. She's just gonna say whatever she has to say to get elected. I lose respect for every Black leader that comes out and says they endorse Clinton..because they only doing so for personal advancement. And it's a shame because John Lewis is MY congressman here in Atlanta and he put in so much work for a long time..but he selling Black people up the river by acting like Hillary gives a ? about us....he being opportunistic af. They even got the mayor here on a radio commercial ad telling everybody they need to get out and vote for hillary. Everytime it come on I gotta change the station...can't listen to that ? on my way to work.

I don't give a ? how many negroes in suits you parade out in front of me...I'm not voting for wack ass hillary. Not on Super Tuesday and if she wins the nomination not in November. Ok had to get that off my chest

My thoughts exactly

Bernie isn't the perfect candidate, but I don't understand the starch support of the Clintons

And do ppl forget in 2008 the distinctly racist undertones of her 08 campaign against Obama???

Remember during a debate she was trying to paint Obama as having close ties with Farrakhan, who in some white ppls eyes is the devil incarnate

Before that she was taking swipes at Obama for his close ties with Jeremiah Wright

Then many ppl accused Clinton's campaign of circulating a picture of Obama in traditional Somali garb

Doesn't sound like the actions of someone truly concerned with racial injustices
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options

CbnxA_IWEAAwwf8.jpg

what trips me out about the whole thing is...Sanders was REALLY out there...and has been out there for a long ass time. In the 60s he coulda just been living life being a white Jew...what the ? did he gain by being beaten by the police for ? ?

But now for some reason so-called Black "leaders" for the most part supporting Hillary Clinton by default. Why tho? What in her or Bill's record makes people think that she gives in semblance of of a quarter-? about Black people? Everybody complains about the disproportionate sentencing in the drug-laws...the Clintons championed that ? ! Hillary Clinton was going around the 90's stumping calling Black people "super-predators". Bill Clinton signed the law that expanded the war on drugs. Why are they acting like this didn't happen?

Everybody knows that the The Great Recession hit Black people waaaaay harder than everybody else. Deregulation is partly if not mostly to blame for that. It was Bill Clinton who repealed Glass-Steagle that let the Banks go wild with everybody's money. It didn't even take a decade after Clinton signing the GLBA for the entire economy to implode. The Clintons work for themselves and wall Street period. Always have always will. She's just gonna say whatever she has to say to get elected. I lose respect for every Black leader that comes out and says they endorse Clinton..because they only doing so for personal advancement. And it's a shame because John Lewis is MY congressman here in Atlanta and he put in so much work for a long time..but he selling Black people up the river by acting like Hillary gives a ? about us....he being opportunistic af. They even got the mayor here on a radio commercial ad telling everybody they need to get out and vote for hillary. Everytime it come on I gotta change the station...can't listen to that ? on my way to work.

I don't give a ? how many negroes in suits you parade out in front of me...I'm not voting for wack ass hillary. Not on Super Tuesday and if she wins the nomination not in November. Ok had to get that off my chest

My thoughts exactly

Bernie isn't the perfect candidate, but I don't understand the starch support of the Clintons

And do ppl forget in 2008 the distinctly racist undertones of her 08 campaign against Obama???

Remember during a debate she was trying to paint Obama as having close ties with Farrakhan, who in some white ppls eyes is the devil incarnate

Before that she was taking swipes at Obama for his close ties with Jeremiah Wright

Then many ppl accused Clinton's campaign of circulating a picture of Obama in traditional Somali garb

Doesn't sound like the actions of someone truly concerned with racial injustices

I'm young..I was 8 when Clinton left office so I wasn't around back then paying attention...but I just can't find any meaningful reason for Black people to be so loyal to the Clintons? In hindsight it seem like he ain't really do ? for Black people...and they called him the "first Black president" why?? It can't just be because of him playing the saxophone on Arsenio that time...just can't be.

You're right.

It's mainly because he got head from a fat white chick.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

CbnxA_IWEAAwwf8.jpg

My thoughts exactly

I'm young..I was 8 when Clinton left office so I wasn't around back then paying attention...but I just can't find any meaningful reason for Black people to be so loyal to the Clintons? In hindsight it seem like he ain't really do ? for Black people...and they called him the "first Black president" why?? It can't just be because of him playing the saxophone on Arsenio that time...just can't be.

sadly.. i think thats it..

oh!
    and he gave ? houses witout the means to keep to keep it..

*thinkin*

yeh.. thats all i got..
  • geechee slim
    geechee slim Members Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They'll always play their base.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn y'all got me ready to vote for this guy Bernie lemme get registered quick
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    If they're in office what will Bernie Sanders and Hilary Clinton do specifically for black people?
  • naledgestate
    naledgestate Members Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    If they're in office what will Bernie Sanders and Hilary Clinton do specifically for black people?

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." -JFK

We're always asking what politicians can do for us but then get disappointed real quick. Meanwhile our civic engagement is poor to nonexistent.

I'll give you an example, the city of Ferguson is majority black but 5 of the 6 city council members were white in addition to the mayor being white at the time Micheal Brown was killed.

Who's fault was that?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." -JFK

We're always asking what politicians can do for us but then get disappointed real quick. Meanwhile our civic engagement is poor to nonexistent.

I'll give you an example, the city of Ferguson is majority black but 5 of the 6 city council members were white in addition to the mayor being white at the time Micheal Brown was killed.

Who's fault was that?

Let me reword the question. Since Bernie Sanders and Hilary Clinton are campaigning for the black vote, if black people vote for them what will they be doing for us, go.