This Little Boy Isn't Allowed to Remain Enrolled at His School — Simply Because He Is Black

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Transfer-Laws-Preventing-Black-Boy-From-Enrolling-School-40343756

One little boy was told that he can't continue attending his elementary school — simply because he is black.

Edmund Lee is currently a third grader at Gateway Science Academy, but his family was notified that the little boy will no longer be allowed to attend the same school once they move neighborhoods. Although the charter school does have a transfer program that allows other students in his new neighborhood to continue enrollment, Edmond doesn't qualify because of the color of his skin.

Despite both the school and Edmund's parents wanting him to remain at the charter school, Missouri state law only allows some county residents the opportunity to attend a city charter school through a transfer program: they must live in a participating district and they can't be African-American.

"When I read the guidelines I was in shock," Edmund's mother, La'Shieka White told Fox News. "I was crying."

According to Edmund's family, he is a dedicated student with a 3.83 GPA and above-average testing scores in language arts, math, and science. They say that Edmund loves his school and that officials as well as teachers agree he should be allowed to stay. However, the transfer law that is blocking Edmund is from decades-old legislation that was left over from when Missouri first worked to desegregate their school system.

"If this helps us start a conversation about maybe some things that could be different with the law, then that is as good thing," said Assistant Principal Janet Moak. She also recognizes that this law doesn't only impact African-American students. She has heard from parents of white students who are also unable to participate in transfer programs and believes it is time to revisit the rules.

"I don't want it to be just about an African-American boy," said White. "I want it to be about all children."

Comments

• BlevlandBoyBool
    BlevlandBoyBool Members Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find it most ironic that she told it to Fox News. It's funny (not in the haha sense) how all these blatant acts of racism continuously come out in our faces but these crackas stay hittin us with the Ye shrug like nothing's out of the ordinary.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "When I read the guidelines I was in shock," Edmund's mother, La'Shieka White told Fox News. "I was crying."

? that crying ? . you should be like "? them and that ? ass school then". This the type of ? that should turn you to a so called pro black militant/separatist/nationalist etc, and start recognizing *drake voice, nh* "muhfuckas never loved us.. remember???"

idk bruh.... i'm just not that MLK type.. i dont want yo fckin table. let us have our own ? without oppressing and bombing the ? out of us. All the other nations that immigrate over here understand that concept but our people always feel like they need to be part of someone elses ? to be validated. It's 400 years of conditioning I know, but gotdamn.... its time to wake the ? up
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Missouri stay looking bad
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Transfer-Laws-Preventing-Black-Boy-From-Enrolling-School-40343756

One little boy was told that he can't continue attending his elementary school — simply because he is black.

Edmund Lee is currently a third grader at Gateway Science Academy, but his family was notified that the little boy will no longer be allowed to attend the same school once they move neighborhoods. Although the charter school does have a transfer program that allows other students in his new neighborhood to continue enrollment, Edmond doesn't qualify because of the color of his skin.

Despite both the school and Edmund's parents wanting him to remain at the charter school, Missouri state law only allows some county residents the opportunity to attend a city charter school through a transfer program: they must live in a participating district and they can't be African-American.

According to Edmund's family, he is a dedicated student with a 3.83 GPA and above-average testing scores in language arts, math, and science. They say that Edmund loves his school and that officials as well as teachers agree he should be allowed to stay. However, the transfer law that is blocking Edmund is from decades-old legislation that was left over from when Missouri first worked to desegregate their school system.

"If this helps us start a conversation about maybe some things that could be different with the law, then that is as good thing," said Assistant Principal Janet Moak. She also recognizes that this law doesn't only impact African-American students. She has heard from parents of white students who are also unable to participate in transfer programs and believes it is time to revisit the rules.

"I don't want it to be just about an African-American boy," said White. "I want it to be about all children."

Just wondering if this would be the case if the child is Nigerian, Liberian, Ghanaian or from any other nation where the child may be assumed to be "black" or "African American".....just curious.
    North African nationals (i.e. Egypt, Morocco, etc.) are classified as White regardless of skin color (because of course its not about skin color). But Nigeria, Liberia, and Ghana would get the same treatment, I presume.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Judah Back wrote: »

Just wondering if this would be the case if the child is Nigerian, Liberian, Ghanaian or from any other nation where the child may be assumed to be "black" or "African American".....just curious.
    North African nationals (i.e. Egypt, Morocco, etc.) are classified as White regardless of skin color (because of course its not about skin color). But Nigeria, Liberia, and Ghana would get the same treatment, I presume.

Middle Eastern people can do the same thing as well.