Zoe Saldana’s ‘Nina’ Gets First Poster, More Online Backlash

Options

Comments

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all going hard for a women that married a white guy.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They might be trying to give her an Oscar performance
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this chick will not miss a chance to suck a white ? . At least we know that part is going to be authentic. If her sex scene with a white dude in the movie is good enough, she'll get that oscar..... I mean, that's how Haley Berry got her one and only nomination and win. smh @ lauren hill and mary j blige being turned down for the role.

http://ecosoulintellectual.blogspot.com/2012/08/lauryn-hill-replaces-mary-j-blige.html

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    what does @obnoxiouslyfresh think of all this

Now you know I ain't wit it
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    I agree, the blackface is ridiculous

This is somethin I don't think ? realize could happen again except instead of it being someone "black" it's a white person
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Yall always so worried about the color of a ? some woman u dont know takes.

?
  • VanguardBLK
    VanguardBLK Members Posts: 177 ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I agree that there are better choices out there, as mentioned Viola Davis, India Arie, Lupita, even Danai Gurira (Michonne) would all be great alternatives but I think there isn't enough effort made to introduce new talent especially amongst black actors and actresses.

It would have been nice to see fresh talent on this project.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Yall always so worried about the color of a ? some woman u dont know takes.

?

I gives no ? .

But it's funny that you ? talking this ? about Zoe not being black but the black women she's playing married a white dude.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    So the IC went from saying mixed people aren't black to saying a person with a Dominican father and Puerto Rican mother is?

You do know that Dominicans and Puerto Ricans can be black?

Do you?

They can be but don't most Dominican not identify as black and also I don't consider them black cuz they can play both sides of the fence, thats why she can say people of color dont exist then turn around and say she is a black woman when it benefits her

And people think I'm lying when I say black latinos don't get told the bold

That's cuz they say things like people of color don't exist

So because a few say that you're gonna deny the fact that there's more black folks in Latin America then the US? Great logic
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    unlike yall,

i'm hoping this black woman does a great job portraying this black icon, and wins a oscar next black history month for a trifecta of black excellence.......

#givezoeachance
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    unlike yall,

i'm hoping this black woman does a great job portraying this black icon, and wins a oscar next black history month for a trifecta of black excellence.......

#givezoeachance

If she gets an Oscar that will be a spit in the face. Black Women gets an Oscar while in Blackface. O the irony. I would rather she played Nina in her own complexion.

If, the pictures and trailer are final cuts. She looks terrible.
  • Dupac
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i just hope she knocks the ? out the park....all i'm rooting for is greatness
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That make up is terrible is this gonna be on the Syfy network?
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That make up is terrible is this gonna be on the Syfy network?

If, an artist were to present that make up job on "face off" they ? would be eliminate pronto.
  • Dupac
    Options
    also the movie is portraying the last 8 years of nina's life.....

she died at 70.....zoe is 34.....

how else you think a 30 something woman is going to portray a 60 something old woman on film....??

cgi?
  • Dupac
    Options
    also mary j blige was the original choice and dropped out
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If they have to spray you black to make the role believable then you are too ? light for the role
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nina Simone Estate Tells Zoe Saldana To 'Take Nina's Name Out Your Mouth'

Nina Simone's estate has again spoken out against the forthcoming biopic about the late jazz singer, this time responding to the trailer that premiered on Wednesday.

The estate's Twitter account responded pointedly to a tweet from Zoe Saldana, who was already the subject of controversy for having apparently darkened her skin tone in order to portray Simone in "Nina."

Critiques of Saldana's casting escalated when the movie's poster was unveiled on Tuesday. Accusations of colorism -- bias against dark skin tones -- circulated throughout the Internet, mirroring sentiments expressed when Saldana replaced Mary J. Blige in the role after the shoot was delayed in 2012. (Saldana is of Dominican and Puerto Rican descent.)

And this wasn't the first time Simone's estate has condemned "Nina." "The addition of Zoe Saldana to the casting -- for me -- was only a further example of how much this project really just veered away from what the truth was," Simone's daughter told The Huffington Post last year when the documentary "What Happened, Miss Simone?" opened. She also said in a blog post that the estate was "never asked permission nor invited to participate" in the movie.

Saldana has not responded to the latest controversies, other than to feature the poster on her Instagram account with "..." as the caption. (The Huffington Post reached out to Saldana's rep for comment but has not yet heard back.) She did, however, tell InStyle last year that she understood the source of the criticism.

“I didn’t think I was right for the part, and I know a lot of people will agree, but then again, I don’t think Elizabeth Taylor was right for Cleopatra either,” Saldana said. “An artist is colorless, genderless … It’s more complex than just, ‘Oh, you chose the Halle Berry look-alike to play a dark, strikingly beautiful, iconic black woman.’ The truth is, they chose an artist who was willing to sacrifice herself. We needed to tell her story because she deserves it.”

"Nina," the directorial debut of "The Brave One" and "Roseanne" scribe Cynthia Mort, opens April 22 in theaters and on VOD.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/zoe-saldana-nina-simone-controversy_us_56d83aa2e4b0ffe6f8e83bb1?ir=Black+Voices&section=us_black-voices&utm_hp_ref=black-voices
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    It dont even look as bad , as i thought...
    https://youtu.be/suZy4IRTTgI

what's up with the accent?

and is her face and neck two different colors?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea the black face was over the top....who the ? thought they needed to black face her
  • Dupac
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    It dont even look as bad , as i thought...
    https://youtu.be/suZy4IRTTgI

what's up with the accent?

and is her face and neck two different colors?

that's how she talked....

plus people have to realize she's playing a 60 year old woman.........

• VanguardBLK
    VanguardBLK Members Posts: 177 ✭✭
    Options
    Just checking, people don't want her to play Nina because:

She's light skinned,
    Is married to a white man,
    Despite any evidence yet to be presented, denied being black?