The Programming/Coding thread

Options
black caesar
black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Strictly Business
I figured it was time to make a thread for programmers/coders. As you guys/girls know, programming is a great skill to have to make your own programs and appz. Just look at Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerburg, Bill Gates, and others. Jobs aren't getting better out there, so I feel we need to get a leg up. I'm currently trying to learn the Ruby language as if right now. Any other coders in here? What program languages are you skilled in? Drop some tips, information, or good books to read.

@Sion‌ Sticky this thread my man.

Comments

• B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im learning ruby right now
  • black caesar
    edited December 2014
    Options
    B_A wrote: »

@B_A How far along are you?
  • B_A
    Options

not far, im thinking about stopping to learn java instead.
  • black caesar
    Options

Nice. You're trying to make Android apps?
  • B_A
    Options

Nice. You're trying to make Android apps?

yeah
  • black caesar
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @B_A‌ That's what I'm trying to do as well. That's dope. Plus you and I know that's where the money is at.

Are you trying to build a tech company too?

Also what Java books do you recommend?
  • B_A
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @B_A‌ That's what I'm trying to do as well. That's dope. Plus you and I know that's where the money is at.

yeah, i would love to do that one day. But, im not even in the IT field yet lol, im using lynda and various other sources to learn java. Android Programming: Pushing the Limits by Erik Hellman is the book im using though.
  • black caesar
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For those that want to program/test on Android phones/tablets without a PC, check out these links:

Best apps for programming on Android Phones/Tablets:

http://android.appstorm.net/roundups/developer/15-apps-for-programming-on-android/

Top ten list Java compilers/editors for Android:

https://blog.idrsolutions.com/2014/12/android-apps-ide-for-java-coder-programmers/

Best Android apps for web developers and designers:

https://blog.idrsolutions.com/2014/04/best-android-apps-designers-web-developers/
  • black caesar
    Options

yeah, i would love to do that one day. But, im not even in the IT field yet lol, im using lynda and various other sources to learn java. Android Programming: Pushing the Limits by Erik Hellman is the book im using though.

@B_A‌ lol neither I'm I, but I have studied CCNA. You can do it my dude. What app(s) are you trying to create?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody here know python? What text did you learn it from? Would you recommend it for someone trying to learn without a prof in their spare time?
  • black caesar
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Anybody here know python? What text did you learn it from? Would you recommend it for someone trying to learn without a prof in their spare time?

@lucien Start with the new Boston tutorials:

Python Programming Tutorial - 1 - Installing Pyth…: http://youtu.be/HBxCHonP6Ro
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been pretty much coding since I was 15 or 16 years old back when I was trying to learn C++ to make a video game. Right now I'm writing python scripts and bash scripts at work but I've done some stuff in perl, javascript, php, html and as3(flash) in the work place. I never really read a book. Just online articles. As far as tips I'd say learn the programming concepts first and then you can pick up on pretty much any language. Tutorials point has some good tutorials on coding and the java documentation from oracles website gives you some solid information on object oriented programming concepts. I would also say learn about functions now and learn about object oriented programming now. They'll both make your life a lot easier when writing large programs.
  • onthafly
    Options
    I'd also recommend learning something about networking protocols. Some people in the IT industry might tell you that a programmer doesn't need to know networking but having a better understanding of how a network works will make you better at troubleshooting issues within your code or someone else's or just issues that may be caused by the network in general. Every device is on the internet these days so a lot more programs need to communicate over the network.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if im in networking should I learn about programming?
  • vitoria
    vitoria Members Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Code school provides great material on learning everything from Java,Ruby on Rails and ? , which is what I'm learning now. It's a pretty easy concept and a lot of Jobs are calling for it that pay big money.
  • onthafly
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

It might be beneficial to learn python scripting. I'm not really a networking guy but from reading around it seems some networking guys benefit from knowing python. I'm guessing some network admins automate the configuration of network devices.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

It's beneficial to:
    1. Learn a basic scripting language (don't need to be an expert)
    2. Learn about virtualization at a high level

1. If you wanna be in networking and work in IT or other related software engineering fields (I.e., working for the network hardware/software companies that make the products), having automation skills using scripting languages, like Python and Expect in your background will definitely make you stand out from the crowd.

Essentially, network management softwares boil down to backend automation and data collection. If you are a consultant many times you'll run into customers who don't have the money to invest in them and using automation, you can provide a framework for their future device installations. There are also instances where u can use scripting along with SNMP as well as EEM (very beneficial, in real world environments) to provide many networking aware scripting opportunities for your clients. Beyond IT and as far as network software companies themselves..like say Junip*r or Extrem* (randomly picked) depending on your role, even if you aren't a software developer, you may need to know this for automating repetitive tasks.

Python is good to know. A lot of companies still use older technologies like TCL and Expect or Perl to automate networking things but Python is where things are heading.

2. To the second point...A lot of networking is now virtualized. Having at least a fundamental knowledge of how VM ESX work and Hypervisors will help you.
  • Thereal_ba
    Thereal_ba Members Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options

Damn i came a long way since this post
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been all Udemy for a minute.

Right now, I'm building 14 different projects (websites or apps), almost done.
    https://www.udemy.com/complete-web-developer-course/learn/

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Surprised I never saw this thread. We in here I guess. Y'all working ... or still learning it ?
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »

Literally taking my first steps, started taking an online course for Python. Looks like it will be a long haul but I can definitely see it being worth it. I can't wait until I'm proficient enough to be able to explore coding without having to rely on an online tutor.

Really hope this thread gets popping, can imagine there will be a lot of useful info provided, especially after seeing all the knowledge being dropped in the IT thread.

Bookmarked
  • traestar
    Options
    Finished that course. I actually use a variety of different coding sites:

Freecodecamp.com now
    Datacamp.com
    Coursera
    Edx
  • bdbdbd
    Options
    traestar wrote: »

Freecodecamp.com now
    Datacamp.com
    Coursera
    Edx
    Nearly finished the coursera one, spent half a day tryna finish one assignment, but it was worth it, feel like I've turned a corner. Out of the ones you mentioned which would you recommend ?
  • traestar
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »

Freecodecamp.com now
    Datacamp.com
    Coursera
    Edx
    Nearly finished the coursera one, spent half a day tryna finish one assignment, but it was worth it, feel like I've turned a corner. Out of the ones you mentioned which would you recommend ?

Well I've been heavy Udemy since day one. That's first. But I really like Coursera's programs, because it really feels like a bootcamp. I'm about to try freecodecamp soon and see what they are about. Data Camp is more for Data Science people who want to code with R, Python, MongoDB, etc.

Edx is good too, very similar to Coursera but I like Coursera better.
  • bdbdbd
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »

Freecodecamp.com now
    Datacamp.com
    Coursera
    Edx

Well I've been heavy Udemy since day one. That's first. But I really like Coursera's programs, because it really feels like a bootcamp. I'm about to try freecodecamp soon and see what they are about. Data Camp is more for Data Science people who want to code with R, Python, MongoDB, etc.

Edx is good too, very similar to Coursera but I like Coursera better.

Good looks...
    Yeh that udemy looks cool but I see you gta pay. Might hold out on that for now, get through all these free courses before I start spending money