New ‘Halloween’ Sequel Set Up At Blumhouse, John Carpenter Executive Producing

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
halloween-myers-closet-700x315.jpg?zoom=4&resize=320%2C144

Legends never die. After years of Dimension Films trying to figure out what to do with the Halloween franchise, the company lost the rights to the iconic horror series that started with John Carpenter‘s classic film. Out of nowhere a surprise announcement came from Blumhouse Productions revealing that they are teaming with Miramax to co-finance a new Halloween sequel. Before you get all bent out of shape about the franchise not knowing when to die, director John Carpenter will be on board the film as executive producer.

Joining John Carpenter for the tenth film in the Halloween franchise will be Malek Akkad from Trancas International and, of course, Jason Blum, the producer of The Conjuring, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister and The Visit.

John Carpenter’s work on Halloween has influenced horror for decades, and the filmmaker is ready to help usher in a new era for Michael Myers, “38 years after the original Halloween. I’m going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all.” It’s strange that Carpenter counts Rob Zombie’s two Halloween movies as sequels even though that was basically a franchise reboot. In reality, this will be the eighth sequel.

All these years later, Halloween is still one of the most terrifying slasher films of all time, and maybe we’ll finally get a contemporary sequel worth talking about. Halloween H20 did its best to revive the franchise (parts of it hold up, but it’s nowhere near as good as the original) and even seemed to finish it. But it was such a big hit, that one more sequel just had to be made.

Personally, I think the only good Halloween sequel is Halloween II, especially since that’s when we find out that Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) is actually Michael Myers’ sister. But Jason Blum thinks they can finally create a new sequel worthy of the Halloween name that fans will love:

“‘Halloween’ is one of those milestone films that inspired everyone at our company to get into the world of scary movies. The great Malek Akkad and John Carpenter have a special place in the hearts of all genre fans and we are so excited that Miramax brought us together. We cannot wait to find and collaborate with the right filmmaker to give ‘Halloween’ fans the movie they deserve.”

The question is who that filmmaker could be. My vote goes to It Follows helmer David Robert Mitchell. His movie had plenty of influence from the original Halloween but existed in a contemporary world. He seems like the perfect person to bring Halloween back from the dead.

Blumhouse and Miramax are aiming for a 2017 release but no date has been staked out yet.

Comments

• jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As long as John is involved in it, then I'll most def. check for it.
    Never saw It Follows. Was that any good?
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know what they can do..

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!!
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm all outta the loop with this franchise...not even sure which Halloween was the last one I've seen tbh...but I'll check for it. especially if John Carpenter's involved again.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Last one i saw was the first rob zombie remake ..I liked it because it showed his ? up home life and u got to see why he became a monster .....my favorite ones tho are 1-4 and 5
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last one i saw was the first rob zombie remake ..I liked it because it showed his ? up home life and u got to see why he became a monster .....my favorite ones tho are 1-4 and 5

Loved the rob zombie remake. Halloween 2 by zombie was a little odd, but besides the ghost mom I thought it was ok.

Zombie makes some ? up movies.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    michael myers was at peak scariness when he was jsut a blank embodiment of evil who became fixated on a random girl who delivered something to his childhood home

nobody brother
    no instrument of an acient druid curse
    no serial killer by numbers abuse victim impoverished backround/animal abusing child backstory

just a mindless soul less killer with very little back story

interested to see if they go for an 80s look and feel or closer to present times
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »
    michael myers was at peak scariness when he was jsut a blank embodiment of evil who became fixated on a random girl who delivered something to his childhood home

nobody brother
    no serial killer by numbers abuse victim impoverished backround/animal abusing child backstory

interested to see if they go for an 80s look and feel or closer to present times

Basically the first movie. A monster killing a girl who invaded his space. If they go back to that I'lll check it out. I've sat through everything with this franchise including the unintentionally hilarious "Love Hurts" montage and Busta Rhymes karate kicking Michael Myers. They can't get any worse.

Halloween and ? forever the GOAT slasher movies. A new movie that respects that legacy can't be bad. But if Carpenter is just cashing in again don't bother. If this works maybe he'll try his anthology horror filn series idea again so every Halloween movie is not neccessarily synonymous with Michael Myers.
  • ckfree
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    ckfree wrote: »

nobody brother

Basically the first movie. A monster killing a girl who invaded his space. If they go back to that I'lll check it out. I've sat through everything with this franchise including the unintentionally hilarious "Love Hurts" montage and Busta Rhymes karate kicking Michael Myers. They can't get any worse.

Halloween and ? forever the GOAT slasher movies. A new movie that respects that legacy can't be bad. But if Carpenter is just cashing in again don't bother. If this works maybe he'll try his anthology horror filn series idea again so every Halloween movie is not neccessarily synonymous with Michael Myers.

word i will probably watch regardless but it certainly looks like theyre trying to make a few bucks by attaching john carpenters name to it for marketing and hype

from the creator of the original halloween : john carpenter presents halloween xxxxxxxx

supposedly though mike flanagan is in talks to be the director -- thatd be an interesting choice -- he wrote an essay about his philosophy on horror in response to people demanding a backstory for the killer in one of his movies (hush) and it boiled down to usually less is more

if you apply that to the halloween franchise it really hits (at least for me)
  • ckfree
    Options
    john carpenters halloween
    evil exists because it just exists

it cannot be explained or scrutinized

even if you move out into the suburbs where you think you can safely raise a family

evil will still find you

because evil just ? is

and it will pop up anywhere at any time for no reason at all

rob zombies halloween
    evil exists because fathers and bullies are mean
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 3
    Halloween 1
    Halloween 2
    Halloween H20

Worst ones were Resurrection, 3, and the rob zombie ones
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's not human right? If that is the official definition for him I'm ok with him surviving bullets and ? .
  • ckfree
    Options

pleasence is iconic as dr loomis
  • ckfree
    Options
    that stone cold and kane storyline from like mid 2003 was pretty much the same as dr loomis and michael myers from halloween (2007)
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    He's not human right? If that is the official definition for him I'm ok with him surviving bullets and ? .

Yea he's not human, in the original Dr Loomis keeps referring to him as "it". He's supposed to basically be evil with arms and legs..

@ckfree explained perfectly why the original was goat and why rob zombies version was ass
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Co-sign on everybody that said something to the extent of evil don't need an explanation. Some people are just plain evil, ? crazy, fit for a straight jacket, etc. for no reason and that is much more scary than giving them an explanation on why they are that way like Rob Zombie did.
  • L3NU
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This dude does a great comparison between the original and the remake

https://youtu.be/sysu4HlzWlE
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes he is human they keep bringing him back cause that's what the fans want. The original Halloween series was supposed to be a different story, different villain, different characters every movie but fans loved Michael so much they kept bringing him back. Which is why part 3 is a completely different movie, they went back to their idea but fans ? and now Michael keeps returning no matter what

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options

Yes he is human they keep bringing him back cause that's what the fans want. The original Halloween series was supposed to be a different story, different villain, different characters every movie but fans loved Michael so much they kept bringing him back. Which is why part 3 is a completely different movie, they went back to their idea but fans ? and now Michael keeps returning no matter what

Exactly that's where season of the witch came it. It got panned but I liked it
  • L3NU
    Options

Even though they planned on the halloween series to be different monsters and killers Micheal myers was not human, Loomis didn't believe him to be human and the ending confirms it

After he gets shot 6 times and falls 2 stories he dissappears and then the camera shows all these different places in town and you can hear him breathing, meaning he (evil) is anywhere and everywhere. He Def is not human in halloween 1
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L3NU wrote: »

Even though they planned on the halloween series to be different monsters and killers Micheal myers was not human, Loomis didn't believe him to be human and the ending confirms it

After he gets shot 6 times and falls 2 stories he dissappears and then the camera shows all these different places in town and you can hear him breathing, meaning he (evil) is anywhere and everywhere. He Def is not human in halloween 1

You're reaching/reading waaaaayyyyyy too much into that.
  • L3NU
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »

Ok, let's look at the facts then, he got shot 6 times point black range and fell from 2nd story, after he already been stabbed twice just before...what kind of human is that?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »

Ok, let's look at the facts then, he got shot 6 times point black range and fell from 2nd story, after he already been stabbed twice just before...what kind of human is that?

I'm pretty sure you can find some random 40/50 y/o hood ? , who went through all of that, minus maybe the 2 story fall. That's still alive and kicking.