Off-duty NYPD pig kills a Blk man in front of his GF & 3 kids in a road rage incident. Update: Vid +

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/07/04/brooklyn-police-road-rage-shooting/
Police: Off-Duty Cop Fatally Shoots Man In Brooklyn Road Rage Incident

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — An apparent road rage incident involving an off-duty NYPD officer turned deadly early Monday morning.

The officer was stopped at a red light after a traffic dispute when a 38-year-old driver attacked the officer, who was seated in his personal car, by repeatedly punching him in the head through an open window, police said.

The officer pulled out his gun and shot three times at the other driver, striking him in the head. He was shot in front of his wife and two children. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, WCBS 880’s Kelly Waldron reported.

Family members identified the victim to CBS2’s Magdalena Doris as Delrawn Small. They said he wasn’t armed and should still be alive today.

“His wife was in the car with him. His two kids were there,” said Victor Dempsey, the victim’s brother. “They were going to see fireworks up by whatever park is in the neighborhood.

“It has to stop. It’s not right that they just get a gun and a badge and they can do what they want to do,” Victor Dempsey continued.

CBS2’s Christine Sloan reported the incident happened just before midnight on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn where Small was visiting childhood friends at a barbershop to celebrate the holiday weekend.

Small’s friend said the officer was “out of control.”

“My brother was a loving, kind father. He was out here working trying to provide for his family and he was killed in front of his family by a cop out here out of control,” Keith said.

Dempsey’s family, their lawyer Roger Wareham and New York City Councilman Charles Barron returned to the scene later Monday morning for a news conference, 1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck reported.

“He could have rolled up his window, he could have driven away,” Wareham said. “He did not have to shoot him.”

“Take off. Roll up your window. Avoid any kind of confrontation,” Barron said of the off-duty cop, comments echoed by the family’s attorney. “For him to discharge his weapon three times and take one’s life over some kind of verbal confrontation is outrageous. We are demanding justice.”

The officer, whose name has not been released, claims his life was in danger, police said.

“I’m here, and I’m distraught because I know he’s a great man,” Victor Dempsey said of his brother. “This is somebody that I looked up to. This is somebody that pushed me to do better, the same way I pushed him to do better. It hurts to see them going so far and doing so much to just get stopped dead in your tracks, literally.”

The family said they’re concerned they may not get all of the answers they are looking for.

“It hurts more when it is by the hands of someone that’s supposed to be protecting us,” Victor Dempsey said. “Now all I’m seeing is them protecting themselves.”

The New York State Attorney General’s office said it is actively reviewing the case.

“Members of the Attorney Genera’s Special Investigations and Prosecutions Unit are in contact with the NYPD, the victim’s family, and community leaders. SIPU has a search warrant for the officer’s car and is actively reviewing the case,” Eric Soufer, spokesman for New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, said in a statement.

The off-duty officer, a three-year veteran assigned to the 79th Precinct in Bedford-Stuyvesant, is recovering at Jamaica Hospital from cuts and bruises to his head and face. There have been no charges filed.

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said Monday afternoon that the cop had just finished a shift and was likely headed home at the time of the incident. Police believe he used his service weapon in the shooting.

“It’s much, much too early to draw any conclusions at this time,” Bratton said. “It is a protocol that our Force Investigation Division will do a very comprehensive initial investigation. We’re gathering a lot of video from the area, cameras that we were able to identify. We have talked with the officer.”

Police won’t say what the original dispute was that led to the confrontation. Police are not releasing anymore information until the NYPD’s Force Investigation Division determines exactly what happened.

Update: Video added...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWi0jG1fTBE
On Friday, video footage was released showing the moments leading up to Small’s death. The surveillance footage taken at the intersection is grainy, yet shows Small exit his vehicle and walk up to the officer’s driver’s side window before shots were fired. From the footage, which admiringly is grainy, it appears Small never attacked the officer. Within seconds you see Small attempt to flee as the officer fires at him. The officer then gets out of his car, checks on Small, then goes back to his car before the video cuts off. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The officer has been identified as Officer #WayneIsaacs of NYPD. Not only did the newly released footage contradict Issacs' claims, it also contradicts claims of the owner of a nearby building who insisted the "angry motorist" could be seen “punching the sh*t” out of Isaacs.

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/off-duty-shoots-man-dead-road-rage-incident-brooklyn-article-1.2698074
    Off-duty NYPD cop shoots man dead after alleged road rage attack in Brooklyn; state attorney general will probe use of deadly force

A road-rage showdown left an unarmed Brooklyn driver dead and an off-duty cop under investigation for answering two punches with three point-blank gunshots.

State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman announced a probe into the early Monday shooting of Delrawn Small, 37, whose girlfriend and three kids watched in horror as the lethal confrontation unfolded.

“Words can’t begin to explain the pain I feel right now,” girlfriend Zaquanna Albert posted on Facebook. “... My heart aches for this man and my son who will never remember his dad.”

A warrant was obtained to search the 2002 Nissan Altima belonging to Wayne Isaacs, 37, a three-year NYPD cop.
    The Brooklyn resident pulled his service weapon and opened fire at Small, an ex-con, from the front seat.

Small’s relatives and pals described the dead man as a pleasant guy.

“Even if the man did attack you, roll up your window, drive off — hold yourself to a higher standard,” said Jermaine Gabriel, 40. “Yeah, you can get upset. But to ? a man?”

Small, his girlfriend, their 4-month-old son and her two daughters were driving through East New York to meet up with his older brother Ali Dempsey for the Fourth of July.

A witness said the rapidly escalating confrontation began when Small, driving a 2016 Kia, felt he had been cut off by Isaacs shortly after the cop’s 4 p.m.-midnight shift had ended.

A video camera captured Small, who was two cars in back of Isaacs, exiting his car when both vehicles reached a red light, according to cops, who refused to release the video.

A person familiar with the probe said Small’s girlfriend told investigators he had three drinks earlier at a barbecue, was easily angered, and rebuffed her when she begged him not to get out of his car.

A woman answering Small’s girlfriend’s phone Monday night said she wasn’t available to comment.

“All she wants you guys to know is that he was a great dad,” the woman said.

Small, of Sunnyside, Queens, approached the driver’s side window and punched the cop twice as he sat in the vehicle — once in the face and another time in the mouth, a police source said.

That’s when the cop shot Small twice in the torso.

One witness, however, recalled a different time line.

“Delrawn and the cop’s car almost hit each other. And Delrawn got out of the car and the cop just jumped out and started screaming. He just shot (Small) right there on the street,” said construction worker Lloyd Banks. 43. “(He) was unarmed. His (girlfriend) and kids were still in the car. They saw everything.”

Small, known as “Fu,” died shortly after midnight at the intersection of Bradford St. and Atlantic Ave.

The officer was taken to Jamaica Hospital, where he was being treated for minor injuries and later released.

A man at Isaacs' Brooklyn home Monday night confirmed he was involved in the road rage incident before declining further comment and quickly closing the door.

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said the department is offering full cooperation in the state probe.

“We are comfortable, based on the preliminary investigation, that this was a road-rage incident,” he said.

Bratton, citing the ongoing probe, said it was too early to say whether the cop had been justified in his actions.

But a police source said the officer will need to explain what led him to use deadly force.

Isaacs was accused in a 2014 lawsuit with a false arrest in which the suspect was “punched, kicked and struck several times in the head and body.”

The plaintiff also charged that one of the arresting cops called him a “n----r” before the case was settled for $20,000.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    I don't know about this one. Can't get into an argument with someone walk up on start beating them up and then cry foul when said person shoots their attacker.
    I thought ya donkey kong ass would learn by know.
    Its he said she said at this point , till they release the video...
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So he went up to the guys car? Then got shot? Am I reading this correctly?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    I don't know about this one. Can't get into an argument with someone walk up on start beating them up and then cry foul when said person shoots their attacker.
    I thought ya donkey kong ass would learn by know.
    Its he said she said at this point , till they release the video...

Bold is where you went all wrong.

Hence the reason I typed "I don't know about this one" meaning not taking anybody side.
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This dumb ? just start attacking me out the blue id shoot his ass too, five-o was in the right
  • D. Morgan
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Neither do I but that is the police's account of what happened.

Perhaps you missed this.

“Delrawn and the cop’s car almost hit each other. And Delrawn got out of the car and the cop just jumped out and started screaming. He just shot (Small) right there on the street,” said construction worker Lloyd Banks. 43. “(He) was unarmed. His (girlfriend) and kids were still in the car. They saw everything.”

We gonna see how it plays out.

I didn't read all of the 2nd article posted for the record.
  • white sympathizer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This dumb ? just start attacking me out the blue id shoot his ass too, five-o was in the right

lol... and what do u think would happen to your non-cop ass if u shot an unarmed man in NY?

Itd be called self defense and id walk
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isn't new York a fLee first state? Like all possible options of escape have to have failed before using deadly force.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Perhaps you missed this.

I think I know how it will play out. As it's already the same wash, rinse and repeat process. They have already sowed the idea that the officer was attacked randomly and feared for his life. Text book. Open and shut.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options

I agree that this case isn't as simple as some people might make it, but I think that it is entirely reasonable to get into an argument about whether the shooting was justified or not. It's similar to the Zimmerman situation.

I know that the cop is going to say that he feared for his life and might get off the hook based on that, but that old-time excuse has got to be scrutinized a bit more closely nowadays.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • D. Morgan
    Options

Perhaps you missed this.

I think I know how it will play out. As it's already the same wash, rinse and repeat process. They have already sowed the idea that the officer was attacked randomly and feared for his life. Text book. Open and shut.

That is a given.

I meant more from a witnesses stand point and what is going to be said. There will be witnesses who might say that man had every right to punch dude in the face a few times based on what the officer may have said to the other guy.

That is really the reason why I said "I don't know about this one". A lot ? to still be put into play. At least for my own personal belief of how it may have went down. With who is right and who is wrong.
  • white sympathizer
    Options

lol... and what do u think would happen to your non-cop ass if u shot an unarmed man in NY?

It most certainly wouldn't. You'd be doing 3-5 just for having the fire arm.

he dont live in reality with the rest of us...

you are talking to someone that rationalizes things like an angsty teenager that doesn't realize his own mortality.

? speak English
  • Plutarch
    Options

Damn, dude's name is really Lloyd Banks? That's unfortunate. And being 43, he probably had that name first. That isn't even the rapper's real name.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Perhaps you missed this.

That is a given.

I meant more from a witnesses stand point and what is going to be said. There will be witnesses who might say that man had every right to punch dude in the face a few times based on what the officer may have said to the other guy.

That is really the reason why I said "I don't know about this one". A lot ? to still be put into play. At least for my own personal belief of how it may have went down. With who is right and who is wrong.

If, we are just going to go off of our own belief then the cop is wrong in addition to being a coward. He had a firearm the deceased didn't. A trained officer not being able to ward off a would be attacker is a big problem from where I sit.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2016
    Options

It most certainly wouldn't. You'd be doing 3-5 just for having the fire arm.

he dont live in reality with the rest of us...

you are talking to someone that rationalizes things like an angsty teenager that doesn't realize his own mortality.

For a minute, I had mixed you two up and merged you into one person. Why do you have matching names? ? looks weird.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

I agree that this case isn't as simple as some people might make it, but I think that it is entirely reasonable to get into an argument about whether the shooting was justified or not. It's similar to the Zimmerman situation.

I know that the cop is going to say that he feared for his life and might get off the hook based on that, but that old-time excuse has got to be scrutinized a bit more closely nowadays.

Of course its reasonable and that argument has to happen no question about that.

Thing is I don't believe for a second these people are really fearing for their lives. IMO the gun is just the quickest way for them to end a situation where they are on the losing in end of. Its also a way to cover up their wrongs because usually with the other persons death only one person left who was involved can tell their side of the story.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Of course its reasonable and that argument has to happen no question about that.

Huh? Ok, but when you said, "Can't get into an argument with someone walk up on start beating them up and then cry foul when said person shoots their attacker," it didn't sound like what you're saying now. Kind of sounds the opposite.
    Thing is I don't believe for a second these people are really fearing for their lives. IMO the gun is just the quickest way for them to end a situation where they are on the losing in end of. Its also a way to cover up their wrongs because usually with the other persons death only one person left who was involved can tell their side of the story.

Agreed.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.