President Barry Obama to police: Dallas shooting was a 'hate crime'...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/obama-dallas-police-shooting-hate-225390
Obama to police: Dallas shooting was a 'hate crime'

President Barack Obama on Monday described the Dallas shooting as a "hate crime" against police, according to a top law enforcement representative in the meeting with Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

“One really striking thing the president said in his opening remarks was that the shooting in Dallas in many ways was strikingly parallel to the Dylann Roof shooting in Charleston in the sense that it was a hate crime,” said Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, in an interview with POLITICO.

During the nearly two-hour session, Obama told Pasco and seven other police association officials that if Micah Johnson were still alive, he would have been prosecuted for a hate crime, “which is quite a precedent from our standpoint,” Pasco said. Hate crime prosecutions are seen as a recognition that victims were targeted because of their race, religion, or some other characteristic, and they can carry greater penalties.

Pasco, who has been critical of the administration’s tone toward police, said he “very much” appreciated the remark.

“At the end of the meeting I asked him to reiterate that publicly,” Pasco said.

The meeting, which included groups representing both rank-and-file officers and chiefs, was originally planned by Biden, but Obama, who cut his trip to Spain short after five police officers were fatally shot in Dallas, decided to join at the last minute on Monday. Obama will be joined by Biden and former President George W. Bush on Tuesday, when he speaks at a memorial service for the slain officers.

On Wednesday, he’ll gather law enforcement officials and policing reform activists to discuss ways to jumpstart the reforms outlined by a White House task force last year. Some officers have perceived Obama as siding with movements like Black Lives Matter over the police, especially in the wake of high-profile police-involved shootings like those in Minnesota and Louisiana last week.

“The president and vice president wanted to hear directly from law enforcement officials about their ideas on best practices for building trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve,” said the White House in a readout of Monday’s gathering. The statement said they discussed implementing the task force reforms, as well as “ways to support officer training in safely deescalating confrontations and systems to ensure the safety and wellness of those who protect all of us. The president recognized the importance of their continued partnership and emphasized his commitment to finding solutions to enhance public safety and reduce tensions between officers and the communities they serve.”

White House Counsel Neil Eggleston and Domestic Policy Council director Cecelia Munoz also attended, according to the White House.

The White House declined to comment beyond the readout.

Pasco said Obama expressed openness to looking into the new restrictions on local law enforcement’s use of military surplus gear, like armored vehicles and grenade launchers. According the Pasco, the ballistic helmet that saved an Orlando officer during the Pulse nightclub attack is one of the restricted items, and others have legitimate uses for local police, Pasco said.

While there’s still skepticism about Obama’s support for police, Pasco said, Biden is the “lynchpin” who brings law enforcement and the administration together. Pasco, for example, said he’s known Biden since the 1980s, long before they worked together on the crime bill in the mid-1990s.

“We trust him,” Pasco said of Biden.

According to the White House, Biden committed to reconvening the officers, as well as community leaders, for “ongoing consultation.”

Comments

• ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well...duh. Technically it was...but then again so are most of these killings that the police are committing. This'll be seen as cooning though.

Man I wonder what would happen if any of these real ? got into politics or joined the police force. Could we see a change? We'll never know.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Me dont speaky da english..
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
    But Dylan Roof isn't being charged with a hate crime...man Obama has lost all of my respect. ? ? .

Yea he isn't being charged with a hate crime, he's being charged with multiple hate crimes last time I checked. Dude was facing 33 charges, 12 of them being hate crimes.

You ever thought about getting into politics and being the change that you want to see brother Jenkins? I'd contribute to the campaign.
  • ShencotheMC
    Options
    Those are many gifs brother Judah. lol just something i think about at times
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But Dylan Roof isn't being charged with a hate crime...man Obama has lost all of my respect. ? ? .

U clearly don't know what you're talking about
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was angry for a good reason, but he targeted a specific group for their color just the same. Black cops out here doing us ? too, but it is a ? system that influences their decisions which is why people are questioning if more black cops will change things (more black overseers basically).
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For every action.. there's a reaction

I personally think (White) cops across America would probably think twice about unjustifiably killing a Black person following the events in Dallas. I could be wrong though

Someone had to be a martyr...
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    For every action.. there's a reaction

I personally think (White) cops across America would probably think twice about unjustifiably killing a Black person following the events in Dallas. I could be wrong though

Someone had to be a martyr...

No. Cops need better training or they will still never learn. Dallas will only make it worse. "I'm not gonna end up like those cops in Dallas" is gonna be in the back of every officers head making them even more trigger happy.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well it was but he ain't gotta speak on it
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obama showing off his strings in a major way his last year
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

has he ever spoken on anything besides Treyvon martin? well he was raised by a white woman all of his life what else can we expect from him?
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he supposed to get a pat on the back for stating thr obvious?? lol
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well...duh. Technically it was...but then again so are most of these killings that the police are committing. This'll be seen as cooning though.

Man I wonder what would happen if any of these real ? got into politics or joined the police force. Could we see a change? We'll never know.

man that post was........

u9iavzh815tj.gif

DOO DOO GRITS!
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

boy1td9cla2x.png

Bout as black and white as it gets..

#bars

This is an opportunist seeing a chance for a no Brainer so his opponents stop saying he doesn't call a ? a ? . Silly him, he thinks they give a ? what he actually says.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    He was angry for a good reason, but he targeted a specific group for their color just the same. Black cops out here doing us ? too, but it is a ? system that influences their decisions which is why people are questioning if more black cops will change things (more black overseers basically).

We all know what it is is.
    But with this whole Black Lives Matter movement is terrorist operation catching on like wildfire

I don't think it'll be wise for the President of the United States to even allude to this dude's actions were connected to the BLM's movement of protest and civil disobedience

That's the only way it will be interpreted

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They'll either be assassinated like Ron Brown or kicked out of office. You have to be for both sides in politics, the bigots and the normal ppl.
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "If he were alive"

But he's a ? so...who needs a peaceful resolution? Who needs a trial? Go on and give them a pat on the back for doing EXACTLY what that crazy ? was mad about. Being the exocutioners.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At this point we need to be worried about what the presidential candidates are saying. I mean I get it, you're mad at Obama for saying it but keep in mind that Donald Trump has a good chance to be president.