Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Lights, Camera, Action!
star_trek_into_darkness_cast.jpg

Sources say Chris Pine has scored about $6 million as he and Zachary Quinto have granted an option for a fourth installment of the rebooted franchise as Paramount renegotiated their deals.

The third installment of the rebooted Star Trek franchise boldly heads into production this week in Vancouver, and its cast is getting a big pay raise. At the same time, the studio behind Star Trek Beyond quietly has locked up two key players for a potential fourth installment.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Paramount and producer-financier Skydance Entertainment recently completed last-minute re-negotiations with the Star Trek stars, a move that has added as much as $10 million-$15 million to the budget. The project’s slow development process may have been partly to blame, as well as the rising star power of the actors, especially Chris Pine and Zoe Saldana.

When the original cast — Pine, Saldana, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin and John Cho — signed on for the movie that re-launched the franchise in 2009, they did so with options for two sequels. Despite the fact that studios often will give stars big new deals in case of success, no re-negotiations took place for 2013’s Star Trek Into Darkness. Instead, the Trek cast is said to have received only the nominal raises built into their original contracts. According to sources, Paramount argued that the J.J. Abrams-directed 2009 movie, while well-received, was not a huge blockbuster, grossing $385.7 million (a relative pittance compared to Paramount’s billion-dollar Transformers series or even its Mission: Impossible movies).

After Into Darkness grossed $467 million, Paramount was ready to jump back in for a third movie. But Star Trek 3 ran into delays in the development process: Roberto Orci spent the better part of 2014 writing the script (he also was slated to direct) only to have execs then decide to scrap it and part ways with the filmmaker. In January, Pegg and Dark Blue co-creator Doug Jung were brought in to write a new script. With Fast & Furious franchise director Justin Lin — seen as a get —on board to direct, things were looking like they were back on track.

That's when the actors' deals became an issue.

Paramount was again only looking to give nominal raises based on the original contracts, but some of the stars and their representatives argued that seven years had passed since the deals were struck back in 2007. Under California law, a personal services contract cannot bind someone for more than seven years. That meant the old deals arguably were invalid as of 2014.

Paramount disputed that assessment, and neither side was quite ready to go to court over the law’s interpretation.

Complicating matters, some of the actors had raised their star power considerably since the original film. Pine has gone to headline movies, including Paramount’s own Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, while Saldana is now part of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy franchise.

Sources say Paramount ultimately made some concessions to the actors, who got a combination of hefty raises and better performance bonuses. The studio declined to comment.

The biggest winner in the deal? Pine, apparently.

The actor, who portrays Captain Kirk, earned only $600,000 for the 2009 movie (not a surprise considering he was still untested), but is looking to beam out with about $6 million for the new movie. Pine was paid $1.5 million for Into Darkness and was to have been paid $3 million for a third film, according to court documents filed during a 2012 lawsuit between the actor and his former talent agency. So he's doubled his money.

But Paramount also is walking away a winner. Sources say that a condition of the raises for Pine and Quinto was that the studio was granted options for a fourth movie in order to keep one of Hollywood's most iconic pairings, Kirk and Spock, intact.

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Star Trek Beyond was fire.

Everybody killed it , felt like a vintage episode turned into an epic movie.Lol the Enterprise always getting that work.

great action and Humor.

8/10 good trilogy so far.

Rip Anton Yelchin and Leonard Nimoy

finally somebody saw it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I saw it today. It was pretty good, but I disagree with it being like an episode. Star Trek movies aren't really like the show at all. The show was about exploration and put more effort around touching on a variety of topics and how those might be reflected in the future. The movies are basically just space themed action flicks. They are entertaining, but I wouldn't tell anyone to expect that if they liked the show, they would automatically like the movie.

Also, I don't care about them making Sulu ? , but am I the only one that the revelation came off as being pointless. That's the main problem I have with pushing the ? agenda in movies and tv shows. It's almost never done without seeming forced.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I saw it today. It was pretty good, but I disagree with it being like an episode. Star Trek movies aren't really like the show at all. The show was about exploration and put more effort around touching on a variety of topics and how those might be reflected in the future. The movies are basically just space themed action flicks. They are entertaining, but I wouldn't tell anyone to expect that if they liked the show, they would automatically like the movie.

Also, I don't care about them making Sulu ? , but am I the only one that the revelation came off as being pointless. That's the main problem I have with pushing the ? agenda in movies and tv shows. It's almost never done without seeming forced.

Sulu wasn't ? , George Takei (the original actor) is

Edit: oh they made him ? in the new movie? Wack
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This movie was the ? , these new Star Trek movies all been fire bruh.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Really enjoyed it, action was on point and the 4th movie has a great set-up
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great trilogy.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna see this ? so bad
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was my favorite outta the trilogy. Simon Pegg know how to write, i hope he helps with the next one too
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad to see most of you enjoyed it, personally it was super meh to me, I really can't put a finger on why though, I actually fell asleep in the cinema for a good 15-20 mins not too long into it.

lol @ that chick being a hip hop head.

one of the GOAT use's of a Beastie Boys track as well.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For whats its worth I’ve enjoyed this flick as well as all the rebooted Star Trek flicks. I’ve watched reruns of the original when I was a kid but not really a diehard trekkie. With that said what makes the film enjoyable is the same thing that makes the Avengers or Fast Furious flicks enjoyable. The interplay, interactions and banter between a likeable cast which seem to be enjoying their jobs.
    Loved the Bones/? dynamic
    Loved the introduction of Jaylah and her interactions with Scotty…hopefully she isn’t a one-off character because I would love to see her as part of the crew going forward
    Loved the shout-out to OG ? ’s death and the impact it would have on current day ?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    Glad to see most of you enjoyed it, personally it was super meh to me, I really can't put a finger on why though, I actually fell asleep in the cinema for a good 15-20 mins not too long into it.

lol @ that chick being a hip hop head.

one of the GOAT use's of a Beastie Boys track as well.

I liked it, but I can see why people would find it meh. Like I said before, the movies progressively felt less and less like Star Trek and more like generic space themed action flicks.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Decent summer popcorn flick.
    So when Idris and his crew crashed on that planet, they found something that turned them into aliens and prolonged their lifespan? Why'd they start speaking a new language then?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    So when Idris and his crew crashed on that planet, they found something that turned them into aliens and prolonged their lifespan? Why'd they start speaking a new language then?
    If I'm mistaken, only Idris survived. The rest of those working with him were aliens and the language was probably theirs.
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I'm mistaken, only Idris survived. The rest of those working with him were aliens and the language was probably theirs.
    The pink lady that set them up and his second in command that was whipping Jaylahs ass were also crew mates
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    OhMars wrote: »
    The pink lady that set them up and his second in command that was whipping Jaylahs ass were also crew mates
    Yeah you right. They did say three of them survived.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw it today. It was better than the last movie for sure. The PE song was dope. Sabotage tho? Meh. Scotty mentioning the Franklin possibly being grabbed by a giant green hand made me smile. That's from an OG TOS episode.
  • Nomad1
    Nomad1 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Story was trash and the acting seemed uninspired, weakest plot I've ever seen in a Star Trek movie, kids that don't know better will like it just because there was action but the plot had more bulletholes than Tupac
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Nomad1 wrote: »
    Story was trash and the acting seemed uninspired, weakest plot I've ever seen in a Star Trek movie, kids that don't know better will like it just because there was action but the plot had more bulletholes than Tupac

Examples?
  • Nomad1
    Nomad1 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Our probablies and supposing to fill plot holes is my point
    Weak story although the basic plot was there.

And I think they're implying that the original actor for Sulu was ? so his character was ? ...but I'm supposing too

I have a spoiler filled rant but I'll spare anyone who hasn't seen it yet
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ them actually makin Sulu ? . Kinda makes since considering George is actually ?

S/o them paying homage to Leonard Nimoy

S/o to hip hop! WE INTERGALACTIC BABY!!!