Girls High school basketball poster dubbed 'insensitive'...

Options
2»

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    Ima leave this up to the native Americans.

Exactly, because those headdresses and such have very important cultural significance. They have meaning, purpose and are used for specific things. Like I read somewhere that a headless and how many feathers it has/big it is signifies a wearers status and position in the community. It's not some ? for clueless white girls to play dress up with

Just stop it white people, we know you have no regards for others' culture and customs, but please can y'all at least fake it like you know what empathy is

Let the native Americans fight their own battles. They rarely if ever come to our aid for our issues. I'm not empathetic to their issues, I'm just not going to stand in the line of fire for them either.

You don't get to tell me what minority groups I can champion for. If you want to be apathetic to their plight that's on you. Natives in America and Canada have had their populations decimated. They have so many, if not more than everyone else, systematic oppressions. They barely have enough people to fight for their rights. But you go ahead and keep playing this divide and conquer ? these white devils have set in place

Meh let them fight their own fights. I only give a damn about black people. I highly doubt they give a ? about black issues. I'm not saying they don't have a right to be offended or angry about what has happened to them. Im not telling you to do anything you quoted me trying to chastise me. Don't try that strawman argument.
  • Kai
    Kai Members, Moderators Posts: 704 Regulator
    Options
    ? you quoted me first. If you don't give a ? why did you even enter the thread and continue to stay? Don't answer that, I don't want your reply

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    ? you quoted me first. If you don't give a ? why did you even enter the thread and continue to stay? Don't answer that, I don't want your reply

Lol whut? you addressed me first.
  • Kai
    Kai Members, Moderators Posts: 704 Regulator
    Options

Lol whut? you addressed me first.

Wtf, are you just dumb or delusional? Go back to the first page and show me where I addressed you first, you won't be able to cuz it didn't happen ?

• BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh...

Bet these Beckys don't know the difference between "Trail of Tears" and "Walk of Shame"...
  • The Divine Visitor
    The Divine Visitor Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Options

Exactly, because those headdresses and such have very important cultural significance. They have meaning, purpose and are used for specific things. Like I read somewhere that a headless and how many feathers it has/big it is signifies a wearers status and position in the community. It's not some ? for clueless white girls to play dress up with

Just stop it white people, we know you have no regards for others' culture and customs, but please can y'all at least fake it like you know what empathy is

Let the native Americans fight their own battles. They rarely if ever come to our aid for our issues. I'm not empathetic to their issues, I'm just not going to stand in the line of fire for them either.

You don't get to tell me what minority groups I can champion for. If you want to be apathetic to their plight that's on you. Natives in America and Canada have had their populations decimated. They have so many, if not more than everyone else, systematic oppressions. They barely have enough people to fight for their rights. But you go ahead and keep playing this divide and conquer ? these white devils have set in place

Meh let them fight their own fights. I only give a damn about black people. I highly doubt they give a ? about black issues. I'm not saying they don't have a right to be offended or angry about what has happened to them. Im not telling you to do anything you quoted me trying to chastise me. Don't try that strawman argument.

Someone here didn't read The Art of War.
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Damn how much money does that school have and how good are they? I've never seen a high school females basketball team poster look that fancy. Most of those joints are hand drawn or yearbook photos.

Those hoes better win four state championships with a poster like that.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn how much money does that school have and how good are they? I've never seen a high school females basketball team poster look that fancy. Most of those joints are hand drawn or yearbook photos.

Yeah man, just check out the photographer's website and draw your own conclusion s about their clientele... ? is ridiculous...

shirkphotography.com
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The poster is kinda lit tho... In an egregious culturally insensitive kinda way
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I bet one of the bench warmers daddy is the photographer and that's how she gets playing time ..... even though she shoots the ball like she's throwing a shot put
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://m.kcci.com/news/high-school-basketball-poster-draws-claims-of-racism/41680318
    High school basketball poster dubbed 'insensitive' | Local News - Home

OSCEOLA, Iowa -
    A girls high school basketball team poster is causing a stir in southern Iowa.

The poster features the 2016 Clarke basketball team in headdresses and war paint.

A viewer told KCCI none of the girls is Native American, and many in the community find the poster racially insensitive.

Vicky Apala-Cuevas of the Oglala Lakota tribe said everything depicted on the poster is culturally incorrect, and it is painful to look at.

"Everything that I saw on the poster does not in any manner depict Native American women and that's the sad part," Apala-Cuevas told KCCI over the phone Thursday. "Our women are very beautiful and to be respected."

Apala-Cuevas said dance is a form of sacred prayer in Native American culture, and the totem pole is like a family crest honoring their leaders.

She said the way the basketball players are dressed is "culturally insensitive."

Clarke Community Schools Superintendent Steve Seid said the poster is meant as a prideful demonstration of the school embracing its heritage.

"Really out of total respect for not just the community, but the entire state in general with a Native American background," Seid said. "No negativity intended at all. Just respecting a rich culture."

Community members and parents of the players said the poster is meant to show how proud they are to be Clarke Indians.

"These girls are representing being ready for the season to come up, being ready and even nowadays it's an empowering message for women all over and these young women are doing it," said Arminda Cosner, who has a daughter on the team.

Apala-Cuevas said she wants people to be educated in order to avoid misinterpretations like those in the poster.

"The saddest part, the part that we feel is most overwhelming and overcoming, is that there's another generation depicting us in an offensive way," Apala-Cuevas said.

The poster has not been distributed yet and is in the process of being reviewed.

Seid said the district will take a further look at it, continue to listen to feedback and make changes if needed.

A state agency has taken notice of the poster, calling it an unwelcome example of people not understanding the culture.

The Iowa Commission on Native American Affairs said: "The poster misused symbols representing a Native culture and spirituality in a disrespectful way. This is a young team that probably did not intentionally mean to be disrespectful; they may not realize that portraying a racial minority group in a stereotypical manner is not appropriate. We hope that the school and other individuals recognize that this poster reinforces and perpetuates offensive imagery and stereotypes of our culture."

9h4toxbmnmao.jpeg

Besides the ? up culture vulture ? that poster is epic
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options

http://www.native-languages.org/headdresses.htm

Native American warbonnets were important ceremonial regalia worn only by chiefs and warriors. Also, only men wore warbonnets. (Women sometimes went to war in some Plains Indian tribes, and there were even some female chiefs, but they never wore these masculine headdresses.)

That's great you feel that way, but while you're riding hard as ? for them, they're doing this to us.

Cherokee Nation Expels Descendants Of Tribe’s Black Slaves

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/cherokee-nations-expels-d_n_936930.html

08/25/2011 04:14 pm ET | Updated Oct 25, 2011

After a long legal fight, the Cherokee nation ousted thousands of descendants of black slaves who had long been official members of the tribe.

The Cherokee Supreme Court (the tribe is a sovereign nation) ruled this week a 2007 constitutional amendment that required Cherokee blood in order to belong to the tribe could stand.

“This is racism and apartheid in the 21st century,” Marilyn Vann, the lead plaintiff in the case and a freedman leader, told Reuters.

The controversy over the freedmen’s status is at least in part about money. The Cherokee nation, the second-largest Native American tribe in the country, receives money from the federal government and earns money from its stake in the lucrative gambling industry, which totaled $26.4 billion for all tribes in 2009. In the run-up to the 2007 amendment vote, some proponents of expelling the freedmen suggested that more blacks might apply for membership to receive tribal money.

In the 1800s, the U.S. government passed a law forcing members of the Cherokee nation from their ancestral lands in the Deep South to make room for white settlers. The Cherokee — as well as their black slaves — were forcibly marched west of the Mississippi River to the Oklahoma territory during the “Trail of Tears,” resulting in the deaths of thousands of Native Americans.

After the Civil War, the Cherokee formally admitted by treaty their slaves’ descendants into the nation.

Before the 2007 passage of the amendment, some descendants of the freedmen said the vote on their status within the nation expressed a desire by many tribe members to paper over their slave-owning past. But the tribe’s leadership disagreed. “It’s a basic, inherent right to determine our own citizenry,” a Cherokee leader told the Washington Post. “We paid very dearly for those rights.”

Until other groups show and prove that they're willing to ride for black, the we need to let them fight their own battles.

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This, black people don't have enough time or resources to come to the rescue for anybody but ourselves. We need to 100% focus on our house first, before we even think of giving a ? about another group. If we want to truly progress, that is.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Until other groups show and prove that they're willing to ride for black, the we need to let them fight their own battles.

Not gonna happen. People feel compelled to fight for other groups harder than our own. Other groups don't even go hard, they just try to find equivalency with us and ride it.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

Not gonna happen. People feel compelled to fight for other groups harder than our own. Other groups don't even go hard, they just try to find equivalency with us and ride it.

You ? have a very skewed view of what it means to "fight for other groups"
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They have no culture to wave a flag for in a positive manner bcuz they've stolen and pillaged every culture. They got the ? , Skin heads, White Supremacists, White Nationalists, Sons of the Confederate, ? Nation, W.A.R. (White ? Resistance) and the lists goes on. Notice they always use us, asians and mexicans to ? with and mock. Deep down they love us and are jealous bcuz they have nothing positive about their culture if you can even call it that. I understand. Don't agree but I get it.