You letting your young kids celebrate Halloween ?

Options
7figz
7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
Knowing that some holidays are pure marketing ? or have questionable origins, do you still let your kids celebrate them ?

Especially as a person of color in a this country, what say you ?

You letting your young kids celebrate Halloween ? 24 votes

Of course, it's for the churren'
70%
lion_heartfortyacreshuey700babelipsssillestni99ainneVIBECapitalBL3NUEDDIEKANEatribecalledgabiTrillfateAggieLean.onetoughmiraclenot_osirus_jenkinsTheGOATPreach2Teach 17 votes
Sorry Timmy, Santa is ? .
8%
powerman 5000MD_PROPER 2 votes
I let 'em do it for fun, but I tell him for jump that it's BS.
20%
damnkpdnyce215Bussy_Getta R0mpzzombie 5 votes

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anything is "? marketing", but Halloween is simply about fun, costumes, horror, candy etc there isn't some sinister ? behind it; we aren't required to believe in/worship anything, unlike Christmas or Easter

but yeah, of course I let my kids partake in grabbing free candy and enjoying a day of imagination where everyone dresses up

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guess there no "What kids? option huh?

If I had kids, I'd definitely let them trick or treat. Let my kids enjoy their childhood. One of the best memories I had as child was going to my aunt's side of town, and trick or treating with my cousins. Loved it.

• jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are y'all ignoring the effects of the conditioning that the continuous celebration of a tradition that promotes very little positive behavior has and will have on y'all kids?
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    Are y'all ignoring the effects of the conditioning that the continuous celebration of a tradition that promotes very little positive behavior has and will have on y'all kids?

No
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Taking my niece to the mall.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »

Dressing up as their favorite characters, getting free candy, and walking with their mothers/fathers/aunts/cousins/uncles is bad how?

Also, no kids post but I'd let them enjoy it as I didn't really get too.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    am I missing something about Halloween that's so "bad"?
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
    yeah , why not.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I want some of that free candy too

Tf you mean

I'm too old to go trick or treating for candy so I use the kids.....

"Yea let me check that bag to make sure it's safe"
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ion feel like going trick or treating, this holiday is ? . when i was a kid we went around no costume and got candy. when they ask me who i was, id just point at my friend and say him
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ion feel like going trick or treating, this holiday is ? . when i was a kid we went around no costume and got candy. when they ask me who i was, id just point at my friend and say him

If u come to my house with some ? like that i have some ? candy for u.

Some kids get handfulls some kids get 1 lil piece.

Better come correct
  • 7figz
    Options
    I can see it from both sides. I don't have any small kids right now so I don't have to decide.

But if I did, I feel like I don't want them to be all into these ? American holidays.

? is just too irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I had my fun tho ? ' with holidays when I was young tho so I can't call it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Halloween is the best "holiday".
  • SmashinYourWaifu
    SmashinYourWaifu Members Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ accepting candy from strangers
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My son went trick or treating, came back with a big smile and a big bag of candy, half an hour later he threw up, but he loved it and so did I as a kid, looking at it as an adult now I think it's ? but I have to hide that and just let the kids have fun, looking forward to bonfire night next week tho which is strange because I usually can't stand that ? , do you guys have bonfire night in America?
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People talk ? about the holidays but be right there with the rest of the people celebrating like they didn't say anything. Same ? out here talking about ? America be out here waving flags and popping firecrackers for the 4th. Let these kids be kids man, they'll figure out if they want to keep celebrating this ? when they get grown.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People be like ? Halloween but be in the house eating up their kids free candy lol
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

I remember working with a chick that said it promotes evil or some ? ...her and her kids went Church on Halloween and called it something like Hallejuaween
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I let 'em do it for fun, but I tell him for jump that it's BS.
    The holidays are fun rituals. Let them enjoy themselves.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    I can see it from both sides. I don't have any small kids right now so I don't have to decide.

But if I did, I feel like I don't want them to be all into these ? American holidays.

? is just too irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I had my fun tho ? ' with holidays when I was young tho so I can't call it.

That's part of the joy of being a kid...being able to enjoy the ? that adults can't..it ain't that deep. Letting your kid go trick or treating won't embed some sense of entitlement it'll just embed a bag of candy they probably won't even finish or remember exists a week from now.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »

I remember working with a chick that said it promotes evil or some ? ...her and her kids went Church on Halloween and called it something like Hallejuaween

This.

For a alot of religious folks, they see it as celebratin the devil. I grew up in the church, but my parents never saw Halloween as that. They took us trick or treating and let us have a good time.
  • 7figz
    Options
    One thing I will say tho - it should be a trusted / closed circle of people you let 'em get candy from.

Can't trust these MFs.

? , I remember the stores used to be giving out bad candy - recycled ? from the previous year.

Then you got all these weirdos ? ' with the candy every year - put razor blades inside n' ? .
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    One thing I will say tho - it should be a trusted / closed circle of people you let 'em get candy from.

Can't trust these MFs.

? , I remember the stores used to be giving out bad candy - recycled ? from the previous year.

Then you got all these weirdos ? ' with the candy every year - put razor blades inside n' ? .

Hell I can only imagine how worse it got nowadays. That's why my mama went thru our bags, and checked EVERY candy.

Any suspect lookin candy got thrown away. All fruit got thrown away as well