Comments

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »

1. The point is that, while Maryland is still strongly blue, you really have no way at all of knowing who shares your 'Other people got this ? ! I can not vote and we'll still come out blue!'. Enough blues feel like that and red wins. It works out for you guys THIS time. But be wary.

2. Everything before 'As for the two other candidates...' is irrelevant because my point is that your post seemed to indicate that you only had the choice to vote for 2 candidates and that is false. As for the other two not being qualified - per my other point - write in who you DO feel is qualified. As for you feeling that that is no different than not voting, not sure how you could come to that conclusion. VOTING for a candidate by writing him/her in is the exact opposite of NOT VOTING. I struggle with how those two things could be the same.

1) I do have a way because I actually research and read, not just about what's going on, but also with history. There was 0 chance MD was going to Trump, and it didn't. You can throw your hypotheticals out there all you want. I live in the real world not a hypothetical one. I made my decision based on what the real world data told me and that data was correct.

2) No I didn't vote because there was no one I wanted to vote for. Period. These discussions are only about two candidates so that's why emphasized them, but make no mistake, the other two were not good candidates either. And again, you keep proposing this "write-in" solution as some kind of viable option. You say you don't see how those could be the same. You tell me what is the difference between the end effect of me writing in a name nobody else will vote for and me not voting at all?

The difference is that in one scenario...you've voted. And in the other...you haven't. It's not about if the candidate you write in wins. It's about the democratic process of voting. You seem to think I'm making this some catalytic thing like the world is gonna start turning in reverse if you choose to not vote vs. writing someone in. I'm really struggling because in my mind, this really couldn't be simpler. Why am I having to explain how voting - for a candidate on the ballot or writing someone in - vs. NOT voting, are not the same thing.

But it's pretty clear that you and I aren't gonna see eye to eye on this one.

No we aren't going to see eye to eye. You seem to think voting in itself is something of significance. It's not, and that's demonstrable fact. It doesn't serve me at all to walk around with a sticker saying "I Voted." If I feel like my vote will matter even to the tiniest degree I'll vote. If I feel like my vote doesn't matter and voting would be a waste of my time, then I'll pass. My time may not mean anything to you, but it means a lot to me, certainly more than that sticker.

You do realize that Bush Jr won his first election by 538 votes and proceeded to change the course of history for the worse for most non billionaires in basically the whole world, right?

But go ahead and be Mr. too cynical to vote. I just wish people lilke you would take the same approach to writing posts about it.

Well said. You have to vote to get your choice. Apathy gets the results we have seen. All you can do is your part. But its obvious where doing nothing gets you. From the Presidency to Congress and senate. Others exercising their power and you not.

It wasn't apathy. I've already explained why I didn't vote, and not caring had nothing to do with it. Believe what ya'll want though. If blaming me and others who chose not to vote for Trump's presidency will make you feel better about yourselves and get you through the next four years, go for it.

This is how I see it. If people have a more "my vote counts" mentality than an it doesnt count mentality, then they would be more likely to vote. If thousands to millions who sat around doing nothing actually voted, it could and can change outcomes. If people have the erroneous attitude that their vote doesnt count, then those who do vote have the power. This is quite clear. Its just an overall mentality. Seeing the forest or the trees. Anyway the fact that people who didnt bother to vote dont like the results pretty much says it all. But in the end all we can do is our part. We get one vote. Im just happy I at least did mine. To think I didnt even try would probably be a harder pill to swallow.
  • NoCompetition
    Options
    People care about the outcomes, and many realize it effects them, but they dont participate in the outcome? There is no way to make that make sense. Outside of the ones who couldnt vote or really and truly didnt care (very small percentage I'd guess).
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's some logic to it.
    This is how I see it. If people have a more "my vote counts" mentality than an it doesnt count mentality, then they would be more likely to vote. If thousands to millions who sat around doing nothing actually voted, it could and can change outcomes. If people have the erroneous attitude that their vote doesnt count, then those who do vote have the power. This is quite clear. Its just an overall mentality. Seeing the forest or the trees. Anyway the fact that people who didnt bother to vote dont like the results pretty much says it all. But in the end all we can do is our part. We get one vote. Im just happy I at least did mine. To think I didnt even try would probably be a harder pill to swallow.

I don't have a general "my vote doesn't count" attitude though. But I do understand that there are times when my vote will be meaningful and times when it won't. I take every election on a case by case basis. In this particular case, my vote wouldn't have meant anything and I knew that. So it was more important to me to stand on my principles that none of the candidates were worth voting for than it was to vote just to say I voted.

And problem with the logic that you and others push is that you seem to think that if everyone who didn't vote got out and voted that things would go your way. Maybe that's correct, maybe its the opposite. If all the nonvoters got out there, it's possible Trump could have won more handily than he did. You don't know, so once again, this kind of speculation is pointless. People have their reason for who they vote for and whether or not they vote. Other people should just respect that and leave at that. You don't have to agree, but bashing people because they voted a certain way or didn't vote at all is stupid. The exception to that is if laziness is the primary factor for what they did or didn't do, but even then I'd prefer a person that's to lazy to understand the issues also be too lazy to vote. We don't need more uninformed voters.
  • NoCompetition
    Options

I don't have a general "my vote doesn't count" attitude though. But I do understand that there are times when my vote will be meaningful and times when it won't. I take every election on a case by case basis. In this particular case, my vote wouldn't have meant anything and I knew that. So it was more important to me to stand on my principles that none of the candidates were worth voting for than it was to vote just to say I voted.

And problem with the logic that you and others push is that you seem to think that if everyone who didn't vote got out and voted that things would go your way. Maybe that's correct, maybe its the opposite. If all the nonvoters got out there, it's possible Trump could have won more handily than he did. You don't know, so once again, this kind of speculation is pointless. People have their reason for who they vote for and whether or not they vote. Other people should just respect that and leave at that. You don't have to agree, but bashing people because they voted a certain way or didn't vote at all is stupid. The exception to that is if laziness is the primary factor for what they did or didn't do, but even then I'd prefer a person that's to lazy to understand the issues also be too lazy to vote. We don't need more uninformed voters.

I think its an error to look at voting from the viewpoint of predicting the outcome. We just saw that the outcome is not certain and can be changed by people actually voting. Saying "my state is-anyway" is an incorrect way to look at it. Look at all the projected blue states that went red. Because the projections can get thrown out of the window when people actually vote.
    Also I used to think kind of like that. My state is red so why bother. However its turning purple. Its actuall probably blue but more people arent voting. That made me realize some things. Thats not even my function. My function is to exercise my individual power and right. Others will. And obviously all the "my state is blue/red" or whatever all goes out the window when election day comes you never know.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I think now younger people are going to have to learn the hard way that the civil rights to vote is a powerful thing, especially when your informed.

I don't understand your point. What's powerful about voting only to be given something you didn't vote for or even support? What you and others actually asking people to do is "gamble" not vote.

The problem with people who are pro-voting is they have not been paying any attention to history. While I respect others choices to do whatever they damn well please, I choose to follow history and it's patterns. The pattern is, things are exactly as they were before Blacks where "GIVEN" the right to vote. Voting changes nothing. Activism, Sacrifice and in many cases death is what fuels meaningful long lasting change.

Lastly I love my ancestors and what they have done for us a people and nation. With that said, there are many things our forefathers fought for that we don't give a ? about but aren't having meaningful discussions and rallies for those things to make sure we carry on those legacies. But for some reason voting seems to be thrown in our collective faces as something we should put our lives on the line for despite it's uselessness.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I think its an error to look at voting from the viewpoint of predicting the outcome. We just saw that the outcome is not certain and can be changed by people actually voting. Saying "my state is-anyway" is an incorrect way to look at it. Look at all the projected blue states that went red. Because the projections can get thrown out of the window when people actually vote.
    Also I used to think kind of like that. My state is red so why bother. However its turning purple. Its actuall probably blue but more people arent voting. That made me realize some things. Thats not even my function. My function is to exercise my individual power and right. Others will. And obviously all the "my state is blue/red" or whatever all goes out the window when election day comes you never know.

But predicting the way your state will go and predicting the outcome of an election is different. Whether you like it or not, whether you accept it or not, there are states that only go a certain way. Period. I was born and raised in SC. I don't know if that state has ever gone blue. No matter what happens, it's always red.

The idea that these states aren't what they've been for decades isn't realistic. Is there a chance for flipping in some states? Yes, and if you keep up with the campaign and election season, you can easily tell which states those would be. Again, for me I live in MD. There was no chance this state would ever go to Trump, and it didn't. I didn't have to be a psychic to know that. It was obvious to everyone who lived here. Trump didn't win the election because he flipped a bunch of traditionally blue states. He won the election because he won the states that could have gone either way.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's absolutely no logic to it.
    voting for 3rd parties /= not voting

if they get 5% of the popular vote, they qualify for public campaign funding assistance which would aid in getting them into the larger platforms

or another way to put it

Wouldnt you want someone else on the stage to challenge both Hilary and Donald on their ? ? Unless you are just blindly voting, i cant imagine that having more legit choices is a bad thing.

I would've LOVED to see Johnson AND Stein on stage, debating Hilary and Trump
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

if they get 5% of the popular vote, they qualify for public campaign funding assistance which would aid in getting them into the larger platforms

or another way to put it

Wouldnt you want someone else on the stage to challenge both Hilary and Donald on their ? ? Unless you are just blindly voting, i cant imagine that having more legit choices is a bad thing.

The fact that the process is this convoluted speaks to the sham that it is. All candidates should be in one venue debating each other in front of the American people.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Not the first or the last time millions of people would be wrong.

Of course. But if you followed closely, my point in posting those opinions was not to say if they were right or wrong... It was to note what the consensus thought was.

My post had nothing to do with any point you were trying to make.

I just made a comment on what I read from those tweets
  • AP21
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

or another way to put it

The fact that the process is this convoluted speaks to the sham that it is. All candidates should be in one venue debating each other in front of the American people.

EXACTLY

but the media has to assume responsibility for this as well b/c they care about ratings too much
  • NoCompetition
    Options

But predicting the way your state will go and predicting the outcome of an election is different. Whether you like it or not, whether you accept it or not, there are states that only go a certain way. Period. I was born and raised in SC. I don't know if that state has ever gone blue. No matter what happens, it's always red.

The idea that these states aren't what they've been for decades isn't realistic. Is there a chance for flipping in some states? Yes, and if you keep up with the campaign and election season, you can easily tell which states those would be. Again, for me I live in MD. There was no chance this state would ever go to Trump, and it didn't. I didn't have to be a psychic to know that. It was obvious to everyone who lived here. Trump didn't win the election because he flipped a bunch of traditionally blue states. He won the election because he won the states that could have gone either way.

It can be (and is) dangerous for people to think their state is guaranteed to go a particular way. People not voting because they think "its in the bag" can and has come back to bite them. Also states flip from what was "expected" results are not known until its over. Really thats out of my realm. My part is to exercise my power and right. Not to look beyond that and prognosticate.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

or another way to put it

EXACTLY

but the media has to assume responsibility for this as well b/c they care about ratings too much

Funny thing is I actually think having 3rd party candidates in the national debates would actually boost ratings. I say that because I think more people would tune in to see WTF these new people are talking about and who these people are.

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

or another way to put it

Maybe Jill would've done decent but Gary would've gotten the Stone Cold beat down
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think now younger people are going to have to learn the hard way that the civil rights to vote is a powerful thing, especially when your informed.

I don't understand your point. What's powerful about voting only to be given something you didn't vote for or even support? What you and others actually asking people to do is "gamble" not vote.

The problem with people who are pro-voting is they have not been paying any attention to history. While I respect others choices to do whatever they damn well please, I choose to follow history and it's patterns.

The pattern is, things are exactly as they were before Blacks where "GIVEN" the right to vote.

Can't take the rest of your post seriously.

• Kwan Dai
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

The problem with people who are pro-voting is they have not been paying any attention to history. While I respect others choices to do whatever they damn well please, I choose to follow history and it's patterns.

The pattern is, things are exactly as they were before Blacks where "GIVEN" the right to vote.

Can't take the rest of your post seriously.

You bolded some letters and put a strike through others. I can't take your seriously.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't speak for my ancestors

You don't know ? , neither do I
  • AP21
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

or another way to put it

Maybe Jill would've done decent but Gary would've gotten the Stone Cold beat down

and that doesnt matter tbh, but we need to see them debate against the red and blue nominees
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

It can be (and is) dangerous for people to think their state is guaranteed to go a particular way. People not voting because they think "its in the bag" can and has come back to bite them. Also states flip from what was "expected" results are not known until its over. Really thats out of my realm. My part is to exercise my power and right. Not to look beyond that and prognosticate.

I'm not knocking you for thinking the way you want to think. If you are going to vote no matter what, and that's important to you, I applaud you. If those are your principles and you want to stick to them, that's great. I have my principles too, and I'm going to stick to them. You can believe I'm wrong and that's fine too. The problem I have is people coming in here acting like my actions or the actions of people like me somehow led to this mess. They didn't. Whether you want to act like knowing which way a state will go is magic or not, the fact of the matter is I knew my state would go a certain way and it went that way overwhelmingly. My lack of a vote did not contribute anything at all to Trump's victory. The people who did not vote along the same mindset of me also did not contribute anything to Trump's victory. And anyone who comes in here and says otherwise either does not know how the system works, doesn't care how the system works, or just believes their opinion matters more than anyone else's. Either, their input is meaningless as far as I'm concerned.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

or another way to put it

EXACTLY

People really need to quit blaming the media. These ? wanted a white man in that seat and they got it. THe media always got to be the scapegoat for everything man. People were blaming the media when they thought Trump would lose, and now media is getting blame for him winning. You can't have it both ways. Man this guy did everything wrong but still won. People are talking about Clinton pandering... yeah it was ? ridiculous, but we aren't talking about the pandering that Trump did. These redneck ass fools actually think that once Trump takes over, that all this "PC ? is over." Same people think Trump is going to somehow silence Black Lives Matter. If that ain't pandering I don't know what is. Them inbreds voted, a lot of us didn't. I'm not understanding people who either voted third party or write in being mad at Trump winning either. I literally have friends that trashed both Clinton and Trump before the votes came in, but are now on some "I'm afraid for the future" ? now. I'M like ? .
  • NoCompetition
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »

or another way to put it

EXACTLY

People really need to quit blaming the media. These ? wanted a white man in that seat and they got it. THe media always got to be the scapegoat for everything man. People were blaming the media when they thought Trump would lose, and now media is getting blame for him winning. You can't have it both ways. Man this guy did everything wrong but still won. People are talking about Clinton pandering... yeah it was ? ridiculous, but we aren't talking about the pandering that Trump did. These redneck ass fools actually think that once Trump takes over, that all this "PC ? is over." Same people think Trump is going to somehow silence Black Lives Matter. If that ain't pandering I don't know what is. Them inbreds voted, a lot of us didn't. I'm not understanding people who either voted third party or write in being mad at Trump winning either. I literally have friends that trashed both Clinton and Trump before the votes came in, but are now on some "I'm afraid for the future" ? now. I'M like ? .

Exactly. People who are mad at the outcome, but didnt bother to vote. That says they care, and it effects them, but they chose to have no say. I think its worse for them. Its a whole different feeling knowing you did your part and exercised your right.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember my father saying about two months ago that Hillary wouldn't win because this country won't allow a woman running it
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

or another way to put it

EXACTLY

Exactly. People who are mad at the outcome, but didnt bother to vote. That says they care, and it effects them, but they chose to have no say. I think its worse for them. Its a whole different feeling knowing you did your part and exercised your right.
    Yeah man, I've said that it's your right if you don't vote. I don't believe in that but it is what it is. And I don't care about the "they're both evil" people either. I'm just saying how are you going to say they're both evil so it doesn't matter or you're not voting, then turn around and act like the world is going to end now that Trump won? You can't have it both ways. And now Donald Trump is president and the republicans are in control of everything. Supreme Court justices are going to be picked under this guy... you know the same people who will sit in that chair for 30 plus years and will be in charge of the ? that we are fighting for. Oh well, I'm just going to sit back and see what happens.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

or another way to put it

EXACTLY

Most folks who didn't vote aren't ? about the outcome it's those who did who are screaming ? murder. This idea that because, you didn't vote nullifies your opinion is stupid ? logic in every sense of the phrase. I didn't vote in the election in South Africa but I certainly can have opinion on the outcome and who was voting in. Why? Because, I am informed and stay abreast of current events and world happenings. You and people like you have the carry the brunt that you continue to support White Supremacy and it's faux voting sham.

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The logic in not voting? Because both candidates are full of ? . We voted Obama in only to be told "blue lives don't matter" and "what about black on black crime". ? don't change regardless
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The logic in not voting? Because both candidates are full of ? . We voted Obama in only to be told "blue lives don't matter" and "what about black on black crime". ? don't change regardless

Like the original post said...
    7figz wrote: »
    ...Specifically in reference to elections like the present, where you might not be feeling none of the candidates, but you know that one is worse than the others.

What's wrong with voting for the lesser evil ? ....