Mos Def Finally Allowed To Leave South Africa, Sets Up Retirement Tour In The States

Options
_Goldie_
_Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
Yasiin-Bey-2007-billboard-1548.jpg

In the wake of being permitted to leave South Africa today (Nov. 22) after violating local immigration laws earlier this year, hip-hop legend yasiin bey (formerly known as Mos Def) has partnered with the Apollo Theater and The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts to present his final U.S. performances. The special engagements will begin with a Dec. 21 show at Harlem, New York’s Apollo. Then bey will head to Washington, D.C. for a Dec. 31-Jan. 2, 2017 New Year’s Eve celebratory run at the Kennedy Center.

At the top of 2016, the rapper/activist/actor announced his plans to retire from the music business. During his farewell appearances, bey will perform songs from a different album each night -- including The New Danger, True Magic, The Ecstatic and Black on Both Sides -- alongside new material, while each performance will feature surprise special guests . In addition, the Kennedy Center shows will be highlighted by a post-show party in the venue’s Grand Foyer. The rapper's artwork, as well as that of other artists in his arts, culture and lifestyle collective A Country Called Earth (ACCE), will be anonymously displayed at both venues.

“We’re so excited to collaborate with the Kennedy Center on what will be a milestone moment in not only hip-hop history but also in popular culture,” said the Apollo Theater’s executive producer Kamilah Forbes in a statement. The bey performances mark the third collaboration between the Apollo Theater and the Kennedy Center. Prior shows include Harlem Nights/U Street Lights starring jazz pianist Jason Moran and Apollo Music Café: New Voices in Jazz featuring Betty Carter’s Jazz Ahead.

Comments

• supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Havoc mos Def and AZ is the Most underrated rappers of all time
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Havoc mos Def and AZ is the Most underrated rappers of all time

Dude ?

Mm
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean what's the point of Farwell tour when you've been quit on rap
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    D.Original wrote: »
    Glad mighty Mos is comin home. 3 dates isnt much of a farewell tour tho. Hope he doesnt go thru w this retirement...hiphop could really use some new music from him.

Best show i ever saw was mos def, erykah badu n jay elec at the palladium in la prolly 8 years ago. Mos came out playing 2 big ass conga drums n rappin at the same time. Quiet dog bite hard!

Lmao at Jay Elect performing 8 years ago. Does dude even have a mixtape?
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad mighty Mos is comin home. 3 dates isnt much of a farewell tour tho. Hope he doesnt go thru w this retirement...hiphop could really use some new music from him.

Best show i ever saw was mos def, erykah badu n jay elec at the palladium in la prolly 8 years ago. Mos came out playing 2 big ass conga drums n rappin at the same time. Quiet dog bite hard!

What the ? is a J Electronica?

Can't tell if I'm being trolled or not.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Seen a free concert with him, Talib, Jean Grey, Little Brother, Qualo and Bilal, it was a 8 hour long concert
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What the ? is a J Electronica?

A philosopher who is known to be in a lofty place tangling with Satan over history
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip hop's lost hope
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    South Africa is beautiful I didnt want to leave either I was in Nelson Mandela Bay and Cape Town like

fg9zcxi4k5g5.gif

Them hoes was bad af Asian, Indian, Whites and Africans been mixing for centuries, they call them coloured.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Was he locked up over there or what cause once he hit American soil it's a wrap he'll be gettin one of the worst welcoming you'll want
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    South Africa is beautiful I didnt want to leave either I was in Nelson Mandela Bay and Cape Town like

fg9zcxi4k5g5.gif

Them hoes was bad af Asian, Indian, Whites and Africans been mixing for centuries, they call them coloured.

My dude! Props for the coloured drop! And yeah our hoes are bad
  • Tsotsi Cape Town
    Tsotsi Cape Town Members Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was he locked up over there or what cause once he hit American soil it's a wrap he'll be gettin one of the worst welcoming you'll want

Yup, locked/detained, wasn't living in ? conditions by any means tho
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least drop an album or mixtape
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options

Yup, locked/detained, wasn't living in ? conditions by any means tho

so none of this

mos_def_force_feeding.jpg
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

fg9zcxi4k5g5.gif

I went to cape town and Jo-Burg back in 2007 ? was lit as ? . ? Cape town is 75 degrees no humidity year round and ? it's no wonder why the dutch and english said ? the rest of Africa we bout to live here and ? back in the age of exploration. Although South Africa post Mandela rule is like the head post lebron them ? don't know how to do ? anymore and it's getting just as corrupt as other African governments which is sad.
  • The Recipe
    edited November 2016
    Options

fg9zcxi4k5g5.gif

I went to cape town and Jo-Burg back in 2007 ? was lit as ? . ? Cape town is 75 degrees no humidity year round and ? it's no wonder why the dutch and english said ? the rest of Africa we bout to live here and ? back in the age of exploration. Although South Africa post Mandela rule is like the head post lebron them ? don't know how to do ? anymore and it's getting just as corrupt as other African governments which is sad.

I went in like 09, we was out on the boats with champagne in Capetown yeah it was lovely as close as ill ever come to big pimpin. We hit up Jo Berg and Petoria as well. I wanna take my kids back there. Ima be 1000 it was depressing though got discriminated on in South Africa, Port Elizabeth to be exact that ? hurt, and they showed my white classmate love at the same time. In the motherland tho bruh you aint safe nowhere....... I really wanna go to West Africa next though.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

fg9zcxi4k5g5.gif

I went in like 09, we was out on the boats with champagne in Capetown yeah it was lovely as close as ill ever come to big pimpin. We hit up Jo Berg and Petoria as well. I wanna take my kids back there. Ima be 1000 it was depressing though got discriminated on in South Africa, Port Elizabeth to be exact that ? hurt, and they showed my white classmate love at the same time. In the motherland tho bruh you aint safe nowhere....... I really wanna go to West Africa next though.

Cape Town felt much more European and it seemed like the black folks there were depressed and mostly in the lower class cleaning and cooking and doing labor jobs while whites and colored made up the wealth. Johannesburg had a vibe that there were less white people and overall black people there rich middle class or poor were all happy to live there. But it was an amazing and interesting place.
  • The Recipe
    edited November 2016
    Options

fg9zcxi4k5g5.gif

Cape Town felt much more European and it seemed like the black folks there were depressed and mostly in the lower class cleaning and cooking and doing labor jobs while whites and colored made up the wealth. Johannesburg had a vibe that there were less white people and overall black people there rich middle class or poor were all happy to live there. But it was an amazing and interesting place.

The interesting thing is we stopped in London for 2 days before we went to SA and going there and seeing how ? the weather is and how condensed everything is like the east coast, it really gave me perspective when I touched down in Port Elizabeth and walked to the ocean and saw the palm trees and sprawling landscapes. It was easy to understand why whitey took over it was so beautiful and full of ? gold and other natural resources of course, although London is very historical with buildings from the 1600 everywhere and statues on every street its ? compared to SA, I noticed the class difference as well between the coloureds, whites and blacks that dichotomy was crazy.