Comments

• the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar

I said this pages ago miss me wit that ? narrative

You = media,media,media,media

Me = talking about basketball accomplishments,skill and dominance.You sound like a broken record at this point

[img]http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1499879/thumbs/o-? -MEET-KETTLE-570.jpg[/img]

Not only are you missing the media points, you are missing the facts, the accomplishments, and gaining some real knowledge from the points others have made.

I'm sorry I mistook you for anything but a Jordanite. Please continue with your "whitey dictated media" narrative that Michael Jordan won 2 3peats playing 1 vs 5 with both eyes closed and both hands tied behind his back. Don't forget to clean your Js tonight before you go to bed... after reading from the book of Michael of course...

giphy.gif
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options

Me = talking about basketball accomplishments,skill and dominance.You sound like a broken record at this point

Not only are you missing the media points, you are missing the facts, the accomplishments, and gaining some real knowledge from the points others have made.

I'm sorry I mistook you for anything but a Jordanite. Please continue with your "whitey dictated media" narrative that Michael Jordan won 2 3peats playing 1 vs 5 with both eyes closed and both hands tied behind his back. Don't forget to clean your Js tonight before you go to bed... after reading from the book of Michael of course...

billbored_zpsimrzq2oa.gif

Jordan shoes wack btw the black n grey/all black 10's the only pair I rocked with.You should bow out homeboy you strugglin
    blu197 wrote: »
    DaBull wrote: »
    ? always get more love universally

this is america

Magic and Mike = ? .com

Nah, Bill Russell and Wilt didn't even have Kareem in their top 5 ATL when they were interviewed in '97; Magic (and to a degree Oscar) deserves more credit than Kareem does for him winning titles and being on a contender bc Kareem didn't make his teammates better what so ever, the guy was the definition of hollow stats in the 70s post-Oscar/pre-Magic (his Prime years) and his MVPs were suspect, he won an MVP in '76 when his team was below .500 and missed the playoffs.

Im more familiar with his Laker years than Bucks (though i do know Dave Cowens sonnin him in G7 of the Finals in '74 that gets swept under the rug), and to my knowledge if he wasnt missin the playoffs Kareem was gettin bounced in the 1st/2nd round before Magic arrived despite having great players around him in Gail Goodrich, Norm Nixon, Adrian Dantley, Jaamal Wilkes, Lou Hudson etc...

Kareem also didn't even try on defense if he wasn't gettin his shots, point is, Kareem was a dominant offensive player that couldn't lead his team and make them close to a contender w/o two ATG PGs..

In a All Time fantasy draft if i had a team with a bunch of good players but it doesnt have top 15 All Time talent on it, then there's about 8-10 players All Time i would pick to lead my team over Kareem, and if i had a team full of scrubs then I'm not even thinkin about takin Kareem unless you like hollow stats, the 9th/8th seed and your team goin home in 5.

MJ>>>>

Is anybody gonna refute this post or continue to ignore it? This is what I mean that the thread got bodied wit facts
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Jordan shoes wack btw the black n grey/all black 10's the only pair I rocked with.You should bow out homeboy you strugglin

this is america

Magic and Mike = ? .com

Nah, Bill Russell and Wilt didn't even have Kareem in their top 5 ATL when they were interviewed in '97; Magic (and to a degree Oscar) deserves more credit than Kareem does for him winning titles and being on a contender bc Kareem didn't make his teammates better what so ever, the guy was the definition of hollow stats in the 70s post-Oscar/pre-Magic (his Prime years) and his MVPs were suspect, he won an MVP in '76 when his team was below .500 and missed the playoffs.

Im more familiar with his Laker years than Bucks (though i do know Dave Cowens sonnin him in G7 of the Finals in '74 that gets swept under the rug), and to my knowledge if he wasnt missin the playoffs Kareem was gettin bounced in the 1st/2nd round before Magic arrived despite having great players around him in Gail Goodrich, Norm Nixon, Adrian Dantley, Jaamal Wilkes, Lou Hudson etc...

Kareem also didn't even try on defense if he wasn't gettin his shots, point is, Kareem was a dominant offensive player that couldn't lead his team and make them close to a contender w/o two ATG PGs..

In a All Time fantasy draft if i had a team with a bunch of good players but it doesnt have top 15 All Time talent on it, then there's about 8-10 players All Time i would pick to lead my team over Kareem, and if i had a team full of scrubs then I'm not even thinkin about takin Kareem unless you like hollow stats, the 9th/8th seed and your team goin home in 5.

MJ>>>>

Is anybody gonna refute this post or continue to ignore it? This is what I mean that the thread got bodied wit facts

There's nothing to refute, Kareem is the highest scorer of all time.

Thats really the bottom line.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    5 Grand wrote: »

this is america

Magic and Mike = ? .com

MJ>>>>

Because he played more years.

MJ averaged 6 points more a game.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

this is america

Magic and Mike = ? .com

MJ>>>>

Because he played more years.

MJ averaged 6 points more a game.

Yeah but Kareem played 20 seasons, Mike played 15. If you average Kareem's first 15 years he has a much higher Z-score.

In fact, Kareem averaged 30.4 points per game over 6 years when he played with Milwaukee. It really depends how you cherry pick the stats. Kareem's stats are skewed because he went downhill at the end of his career. And MJ's stats are skewed because he has holes in his career when most people were in their prime.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is something to be said about longevity imo. Especially considering how much ball Kareem played. That's long deep playoff runs, NCAA final four runs, and high school.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    There is something to be said about longevity imo. Especially considering how much ball Kareem played. That's long deep playoff runs, NCAA final four runs, and high school.

Players played more ball in the 90s than back then

• Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Y'all ? me with this HS/ College ? .

Ain't nobody 16 and 18 worried about getting tired and worn out. Taking a break from the NBA for years and coming back like nothing happened to dominate the league is more impressive, IMO.

And for the life of me, I will never understand how people put so much weight on years before the NBA... When the competition was far inferior, and players were still learning life lessons and developing their skills.

If Jordan went from being cut from the HS varsity team to (arguably) the greatest of All Time in less than 10 yrs, he gets more points for that in my book ... Not less.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Ain't nobody 16 and 18 worried about getting tired and worn out. Taking a break from the NBA for years and coming back like nothing happened to dominate the league is more impressive, IMO.

And for the life of me, I will never understand how people put so much weight on years before the NBA... When the competition was far inferior, and players were still learning life lessons and developing their skills.

If Jordan went from being cut from the HS varsity team to (arguably) the greatest of All Time in less than 10 yrs, he gets more points for that in my book ... Not less.

Kareem was honing his skills in the Rucker against legends like Earl Manigault. Those old heads use to play anywhere. There was no inferior competition as you put it. Maybe in NC, not in NY.
  • the_focused_one
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar

See this is that Media Mythology that people say isn't a big deal...

Yes Jordan went from being cut from the HS varsity team to being one of the greatest of all time, but let's be real...

He was cut from the varsity squad... as a sophmore. It makes for a great story to motivate young players, but in reality it's something that happens all the time, especially in highly populated schools with a lot of regional talent.

P.S. I'm with you on the pre-NBA career stuff. I put very little stock in comparing players from before the Association.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    When people ask who is the greatest Laker then they will say Magic Johnson

out of 6 championships, Kareem was the best player on his team twice & has been swept on the biggest stage.

• Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options

Yes Jordan went from being cut from the HS varsity team to being one of the greatest of all time, but let's be real...

He was cut from the varsity squad... as a sophmore. It makes for a great story to motivate young players, but in reality it's something that happens all the time, especially in highly populated schools with a lot of regional talent.

I agree... But he grew up to be Michael Jordan.

Nothing to do with the media. I played ball growing up. I was friends with a kid that played varsity as a Freshman ... and he didn't even make It to the NBA.

I didn't say it never happens, I said that it makes his journey more impressive.

Juxtapose that with players who were Gods in High school because of their innate talent and physical ability and experienced comparatively minimal maturation in their games.

• 5 Grand
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    T. Sanford wrote: »

out of 6 championships, Kareem was the best player on his team twice & has been swept on the biggest stage.

Not necessarily.

And Magic played his entire career on The Lakers.

Kareem played for Milwaukee for a few years and won a championship.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

People still don't understand that Magic & Kobe are put ahead of Kareem on the all-time Laker list because they were career Lakers?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan

P.S. I'm with you on the pre-NBA career stuff. I put very little stock in comparing players from before the Association.

He got cut not for his skills but due his height is was only 5'11. He still dominated JV ball that year. But yeah no cares about pre nba stuff.

Christian Lattener arguable one of the Greatest College Players of all time..we all know his NBA career no where near as close to college.
  • YoungRider
    YoungRider Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Options
    Mike is the best I just disagree with the notion that he is far and away the greatest its a lot closer than people think but I had an argument with a guy about Finals losses why is it OK to lose in the first round but not on the biggest stage to a team that has beaten out everyone love Mikes game I just think his fans have some of the dumbest arguments for his greatness the numbers do the talking
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Players played more ball in the 90s than back then

They played ball a lot back then. I have Kareem's book where they showed him in grammar school hooping.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Watch this documentary on Kareem. He didn't have the flair or the fancy dunks like MJ, but his hook shot was literally impossible to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K32jL8oAapk
  • the_focused_one
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    YoungRider wrote: »
    Mike is the best I just disagree with the notion that he is far and away the greatest its a lot closer than people think but I had an argument with a guy about Finals losses why is it OK to lose in the first round but not on the biggest stage to a team that has beaten out everyone love Mikes game I just think his fans have some of the dumbest arguments for his greatness the numbers do the talking

See you ain't the type of dude I got a problem with. Jordan is Top 5 to me, and I'm not mad if a serious head thinks he is the greatest and makes coherent arguments. But I have a problem with ESPN and Jordanites dickriding Mike like he's the alpha and omega of basketball when there's a case for other players to be considered the best as well.

Jordan has become mythical in legacy just like 2Pac in hip-hop. ? forbid you criticize Jordan or not consider him the out and out GOAT- or even worse- actually compare LeBron James to Jordan. Dudes have literally gotten HEATED at me for thinking he's only Top 5 and I've seen other dudes straight get into serious arguments where the Jordanite had to leave the room he was so hot. I just can't believe it's come to this... especially from people who only watched Jordan play through YouTube videos...

It's gotta be the shoes...

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan

To be fair, Kareem was the best player on that Laker team that won their first ring in the 80s. He was the league MVP and would've been the Finals MVP if he hadnt gotten injured and Magic didnt have the game of his life.
  • Brewjo
    Brewjo Members Posts: 2
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar

this is america

Magic and Mike = ? .com

MJ>>>>

• Brewjo
    Brewjo Members Posts: 2
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Kareem didn't make his teammates better? What was the bucks record before they drafted him?
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    Brewjo wrote: »
    Kareem didn't make his teammates better? What was the bucks record before they drafted him?

better yet what did Oscar with without him ?

what did Magic win without him ?

• DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    I got another one that I havent done yet. Drop that ? randomly tonight
  • Stoned_Monkey
    Stoned_Monkey Members Posts: 1
    Options
    Michael Jeffrey Jordan
    Kareem played 5 more seasons than Jordan and even then Jordan's season stats for the most part besides rebounds and blocks, Jordan lead in points, assists, steals, and 3 point %. So you cannot compare career stats when Jordan did not play as long. Compare season stats. Michael Jordan is the GOAT.