Jim Brown to John Lewis: 'Don’t cry the blues' on Donald Trump…

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/18/jim-brown-john-lewis-donald-trump-inauguration/96712446/
Jim Brown, one of the sports world's most notable civil rights crusaders, took aim Wednesday at another legend of the movement: Rep. John Lewis.

“John Lewis has great history as a civil rights fighter,” Brown said on CNN. “As a young man, he was one of the guys out there who was leading the parades during the (Martin Luther) King (Jr.) era. So, we all respect his history. But then I hear him crying the blues about Mr. Trump and saying he’s an illegitimate president, I take offense to that. If it’s illegitimate, why is he going on?”

Lewis, D-Ga., said in an interview last week that he did not view Trump as a "legitimate president" because Russia “helped destroy the candidacy of Hillary Clinton.” Lewis is among more than 50 lawmakers boycotting President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration on Friday.

Trump responded to Lewis’ views on Twitter, suggesting Lewis spend less time worrying about the election results and more time working on his "horrible" and "crime-infested” congressional district.

“If you’re going to impeach him, impeach him,” Brown continued. “If he did something wrong, arrest him. But don’t cry the blues because you didn’t get the vote out and this man had a genius way of winning the election.”

Brown, 80, is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and was a three-time MVP during his nine-season career with the Cleveland Browns. After his NFL tenure concluded at age 30, Brown also became more involved in the civil rights movement and he founded multiple organizations to help the unrepresented and underprivileged.

One of those organizations, Amer-I-Can Program, has an pre-inauguration party scheduled for Thursday. As of Wednesday morning, there were four people going, according to the organization’s Facebook page.

The event, sponsored by a fireworks company, costs $1,000 to attend. The party’s featured guests include former Baltimore Ravens star Ray Lewis, former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo, former Indiana men’s basketball coach Bobby Knight and former reality show star Omarosa Manigault, according to the flyer.

Brown told CNN that former New England Patriots and New York Jets running back Curtis Martin would also be in attendance.

Comments

• King_Me
    King_Me Members Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? that .... that ain't Jim that's a clone word to Gucci Mane
  • Sorrow_god
    Sorrow_god Members Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    King$osa wrote: »
    "genius way of winning the election" yea this ? is a ? ? em

Explain to me what part about his win wasn't genius?

Hate the man all you want but his win was by far the biggest upset in political history and he underspent and out smarted Hillary like a toddler playing chess.

And while the russians may have had a slight influence on the election her loss was primarily due to her arrogance and lack of foresight into how the american people saw themselves.
  • King$osa
    King$osa Members Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorrow_? wrote: »

Hate the man all you want but his win was by far the biggest upset in political history and he underspent and out smarted Hillary like a toddler playing chess.

And while the russians may have had a slight influence on the election her loss was primarily due to her arrogance and lack of foresight into how the american people saw themselves.

I don't look at a person who used white supremacists to their gain as a genius. Lying to your voters and doing everything that every other politician has does is not genius. My post was about the fact that Jim Brown thinks that his run was genius when it's fearmongering is not genius.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/18/jim-brown-john-lewis-donald-trump-inauguration/96712446/
    Jim Brown, one of the sports world's most notable civil rights crusaders, took aim Wednesday at another legend of the movement: Rep. John Lewis.

“John Lewis has great history as a civil rights fighter,” Brown said on CNN. “As a young man, he was one of the guys out there who was leading the parades during the (Martin Luther) King (Jr.) era. So, we all respect his history. But then I hear him crying the blues about Mr. Trump and saying he’s an illegitimate president, I take offense to that. If it’s illegitimate, why is he going on?”

Lewis, D-Ga., said in an interview last week that he did not view Trump as a "legitimate president" because Russia “helped destroy the candidacy of Hillary Clinton.” Lewis is among more than 50 lawmakers boycotting President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration on Friday.

Trump responded to Lewis’ views on Twitter, suggesting Lewis spend less time worrying about the election results and more time working on his "horrible" and "crime-infested” congressional district.

“If you’re going to impeach him, impeach him,” Brown continued. “If he did something wrong, arrest him. But don’t cry the blues because you didn’t get the vote out and this man had a genius way of winning the election.”

Brown, 80, is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and was a three-time MVP during his nine-season career with the Cleveland Browns. After his NFL tenure concluded at age 30, Brown also became more involved in the civil rights movement and he founded multiple organizations to help the unrepresented and underprivileged.

One of those organizations, Amer-I-Can Program, has an pre-inauguration party scheduled for Thursday. As of Wednesday morning, there were four people going, according to the organization’s Facebook page.

The event, sponsored by a fireworks company, costs $1,000 to attend. The party’s featured guests include former Baltimore Ravens star Ray Lewis, former San Francisco 49ers owner Edward DeBartolo, former Indiana men’s basketball coach Bobby Knight and former reality show star Omarosa Manigault, according to the flyer.

Brown told CNN that former New England Patriots and New York Jets running back Curtis Martin would also be in attendance.

This dude quotes Malcolm, but doesn't put in context who he was referring to....

"The government itself has failed us, and the White Liberals who have been posing as our friends have failed us. Once we see that all these other sources to which we have turned have failed, we stop turning to them and start turning to ourselves.

You are the one who sent Kennedy to Washington. You’re the one who put the present Democratic administration in Washington, D.C. The Whites were evenly divided. It was the fact that you threw 80% of your votes behind the Democrats that put the Democrats in the White House. When you see this, you can see that the ? vote is the key factor. And despite the fact that you are in a position to be the determining factor, what do you get out of it?

Democrats have been in Washington, D.C. only because of the ? vote. They’ve been down there 4 years and all the legislation they wanted to bring up they brought up and got it out of the way, and now they bring up you. You put them first and they put you last, cause you are a chump (huge applause). A political chump.

In Washington, D.C. in the House of Representatives there are 257 who are Democrats. Only 177 are Republican. In the Senate there are 67 Democrats, only 33 are Republicans. The Party that you backed, controls two-thirds of the House of Representatives and the Senate and still they can’t keep their promise to you, ’cause you’re a chump.

Anytime you throw your political weight behind a political Party that controls two-thirds of the government and that Party can’t keep the promises it made to you during election time, and you are dumb enough to walk around and identify yourself with that Party, you are not only a chump but you are a traitor to your race."

Notice white people are still working with Trump to try and push all their ? from climate change to you name it, but they have us fighting one another once again. All due respect for what John Lewis did back in the day, but the same goes for Jim Brown too. Why are we killing our own when Latinos, Feminists & Muslims aren't doing ? ? If Hillary was elected what would be different? Would people call out anyone for meeting with an architect of the 1994 Crime Bill that militarized the police to begin with? And if not, then what's changed?

Ali backed Reagan in 84', I wonder what people of today would do to him. It's like we're in some SJW hell

d4b91bf3-4dea-4e0a-adf7-5f500b03b408.jpg
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sorrow_? wrote: »

It was obviously effective. Outflanked the "dont vote black people" brigade and all the others like the ones who were still mad because she beat Bernie etc. who didnt like Hillary enough to understand the obvious ramifications of sitting out but still preferred her to win. But those people obviously werent exactly rocket scientists to begin (Im talking the ones who preferred her but couldnt put 2 and 2 together and realize thats where actual voting comes in so sat out)so I guess it didnt take "genius".
    I dont like these comments attributed to Jim Brown and feel what Lewis said is fair play considering a whole host of factors.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options

This dude quotes Malcolm, but doesn't put in context who he was referring to....

"The government itself has failed us, and the White Liberals who have been posing as our friends have failed us. Once we see that all these other sources to which we have turned have failed, we stop turning to them and start turning to ourselves.

You are the one who sent Kennedy to Washington. You’re the one who put the present Democratic administration in Washington, D.C. The Whites were evenly divided. It was the fact that you threw 80% of your votes behind the Democrats that put the Democrats in the White House. When you see this, you can see that the ? vote is the key factor. And despite the fact that you are in a position to be the determining factor, what do you get out of it?

Democrats have been in Washington, D.C. only because of the ? vote. They’ve been down there 4 years and all the legislation they wanted to bring up they brought up and got it out of the way, and now they bring up you. You put them first and they put you last, cause you are a chump (huge applause). A political chump.

In Washington, D.C. in the House of Representatives there are 257 who are Democrats. Only 177 are Republican. In the Senate there are 67 Democrats, only 33 are Republicans. The Party that you backed, controls two-thirds of the House of Representatives and the Senate and still they can’t keep their promise to you, ’cause you’re a chump.

Anytime you throw your political weight behind a political Party that controls two-thirds of the government and that Party can’t keep the promises it made to you during election time, and you are dumb enough to walk around and identify yourself with that Party, you are not only a chump but you are a traitor to your race."

Notice white people are still working with Trump to try and push all their ? from climate change to you name it, but they have us fighting one another once again. All due respect for what John Lewis did back in the day, but the same goes for Jim Brown too. Why are we killing our own when Latinos, Feminists & Muslims aren't doing ? ? If Hillary was elected what would be different? Would people call out anyone for meeting with an architect of the 1994 Crime Bill that militarized the police to begin with? And if not, then what's changed?

Ali backed Reagan in 84', I wonder what people of today would do to him. It's like we're in some SJW hell

lol at "white people working with trump on climate change..." like climate change only affects white people. Thats such a weak ass narrative.

Noone is saying people should not work with Trump/administration but do not be pawns and deify him and defend him as Jim Brown is doing and act like his cabinet picks and rhetoric are not a big problem and divisive.

also before he passed away Ali was highly critical of Donald Trump ad a candidate and his attacked on Muslims.
  • NoCompetition
    Options
    But I will say of course there are people who dont like Lewis saying something like that but hey thats basically par for the course. So some people dont like it too bad for them.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim been on that ? ?

I don't know if its age, money, or general faith in the Black youth but he been in this ? ? since the 80's
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spyro should ve just gotten rid of this ?
  • ThaNubianGod
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »

lol at "white people working with trump on climate change..." like climate change only affects white people. Thats such a weak ass narrative.

Noone is saying people should not work with Trump/administration but do not be pawns and deify him and defend him as Jim Brown is doing and act like his cabinet picks and rhetoric are not a big problem and divisive.

also before he passed away Ali was highly critical of Donald Trump ad a candidate and his attacked on Muslims.

I don't see Jim Brown "deifying" Trump here, he voted Hillary. In fact I see the opposite with people deifying the Dems. Neither of these parties give a ? about us. They've been trying to replace our vote with latinos for the last 20 years, and once that happens they just ignore us like asian americans. So tearing down either Brown or Lewis is pointless. I see no problem with the two having a disagreement, that's between them. Why do we have to show out for white people against anyone who doesn't push liberal ? ? Everyday this forum has a "this dude is a ? now" thread.
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VoJbV.gif

Denzel stay with the ultimate disgust/shock/? faces
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I keep telling y'all
  • NoCompetition
    Options

I don't see Jim Brown "deifying" Trump here, he voted Hillary. In fact I see the opposite with people deifying the Dems. Neither of these parties give a ? about us. They've been trying to replace our vote with latinos for the last 20 years, and once that happens they just ignore us like asian americans. So tearing down either Brown or Lewis is pointless. I see no problem with the two having a disagreement, that's between them. Why do we have to show out for white people against anyone who doesn't push liberal ? ? Everyday this forum has a "this dude is a ? now" thread.

Im not saying the political parties are perfect nor do I expect them to be saviors in all things but this is like saying the people arent intertwined into the parties. Democrats for instance are quite diverse. Look at the current first family. John Lewis who is in the news now is in that party. There are plenty regular people of all backgrounds and communities in that party. To say they are some separate entity entirely is simply inaccurate. I have heard this type of rhetoric but its just not accurate. Doesnt mean there cant be more involvement with the everyday people and "mainstreet" though at the same time.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options

By going out of his way to defend him and saying he loved him, does that not constitute deifying a man and playing into his narrative?

dont say they have done nothing for "us" maybe not you but i know countless Black middle class and working class families who have benefited from an array of government policies the facts are out there all you have to do is read.If you say you feel they could have done more yes but I cannot entertain hyperbolic black conspiracy and black paranoia about how government works. Moreover if you still have the notion that government has to carry most of the weight in delivering for your community then frankly some folks deserve to be at the bottom, because by now you should have a mature understanding of bureaucracy and how imperfect politics and lawmaking. We compromise everyday in our personal lives and get that but when it comes to governance prople expect absolutism , that make no sense to me and I think people need to grown up.

So its pushing liberal agendas to be an egalitarian or anti racism, hate speech, pro ethnic minorities or pro women's rights? good to know and here i thought that was the promise of what america should be founded on , my bad.
  • NoCompetition
    Options

By going out of his way to defend him and saying he loved him, does that not constitute deifying a man and playing into his narrative?

dont say they have done nothing for "us" maybe not you but i know countless Black middle class and working class families who have benefited from an array of government policies the facts are out there all you have to do is read.If you say you feel they could have done more yes but I cannot entertain hyperbolic black conspiracy and black paranoia about how government works. Moreover if you still have the notion that government has to carry most of the weight in delivering for your community then frankly some folks deserve to be at the bottom, because by now you should have a mature understanding of bureaucracy and how imperfect politics and lawmaking. We compromise everyday in our personal lives and get that but when it comes to governance prople expect absolutism , that make no sense to me and I think people need to grown up.

So its pushing liberal agendas to be an egalitarian or anti racism, hate speech, pro ethnic minorities or pro women's rights? good to know and here i thought that was the promise of what america should be founded on , my bad.

Exactly man thats just a flat out lie "they dont do anything for us" no thats you. Im taking advantage of programs right now. But more importantly Its perspective. If you dont think "they" do anything for you thats a problem with your mentality. Do for yourself first and things will happen. Also I think its safe to say the cat is out of the bag the parties arent the same. People tried to push that before the election anybody still trying to hold onto that will soon enough have that nonsense eradicated by reality.
  • ThaNubianGod
    Options

Im not saying the political parties are perfect nor do I expect them to be saviors in all things but this is like saying the people arent intertwined into the parties. Democrats for instance are quite diverse. Look at the current first family. John Lewis who is in the news now is in that party. There are plenty regular people of all backgrounds and communities in that party. To say they are some separate entity entirely is simply inaccurate. I have heard this type of rhetoric but its just not accurate. Doesnt mean there cant be more involvement with the everyday people and "mainstreet" though at the same time.

That's exactly what I'm saying though, we really aren't intertwined with any party. Dems control pretty much every major black communities in the country, and what do we have to show for it? That's why I posted the Malcolm quote earlier int he thread, we shouldn't align ourselves with any political party since both the Dem and GOP goal is to please the white majority, not us. MLK worked with Nixon not because he trust the guy 100%, but because having black voices in the ear of the president is powerful. We should want more, not less talking with Trump.Brown voted Hillary, spent 50 years working in communities, and yet simply meeting with Trump about helping erases his legacy. I don't get why we do this ? to our own, its shameful as ? . And John Lewis's legacy speaks for itself, but that doesn't mean another man can't question him about playing politics. We're being played like a violin
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options