The Boring But Big Training Program From The Man Who Out-muscled Arnold

Options
Millions Knives
Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Weight Room
In 1966, the world’s most famous bodybuilder (Arnold Schwartzeneggar) enter the Mr. Universe Amateur competition (talll division).

He took 2nd place.

The man who beat him? Chet Yorton.

Here’s some incredible details about the man who defeated the Austrian oak the and unusual training program he followed:

Chet didn’t have the perfect starting point for bodybuilding. In fact, he started with slashed up left eyeball, gashed up forearm, dislocated hips and shattered leg bones!

You see, Chet was in a serious car accident after high school. While he was recovering the hospital, he spotted a pair of dumbbells in the corner and went to work. He’s never done any weight training
before and 7 months later he was 55lbs heavier.

Almost more incredible than that is the training program he used outside of the hospital.

It’s not the most glamorous routine you’ve ever seen. In fact, it looks quite boring. But the results speak for themselves.

Here’s Chet Yorton’s boring but big training program:

Perform just two sets of each exercise listed below. Complete both sets before moving on to the next exercise.
Here’s the kicker: You will do 22 reps per set. Yes, 22.

Here are the exercises:

Squat
Overhead Press
Deadlift
Bench Press

To really appreciate just how strong this man was, consider this: Chet Yorton did 22 reps with 225lbs for his first set of bench presses and 22 reps with 325lbs for the second set.

Switching to a high rep program is a great way to pack on incredible amounts of muscle size and volume in a very short time. Plus, it can work wonders for your conditioning and endurance.

If you decide to give this program a go, just use it for 4 weeks and then switch back to a more traditional strength program.

Comments

• Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Idk about this fam... If you can do that many reps, and your goal is to pack on muscle, it would seem that the rep count is extremely high, no?
  • shadb33
    shadb33 Members Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ^^^Real talk..weight training is so weird. But different things work for different people.
  • Millions Knives
    edited July 2010
    Options
    WallH wrote: »
    Idk about this fam... If you can do that many reps, and your goal is to pack on muscle, it would seem that the rep count is extremely high, no?

You see there are no rules to follow to weight training.

Everybody's will respond diffrent to diffrent workouts, there is no such thing as one way to do something to pack on muscle.

? when I first started working out I was 110 lbs....It was April in my freshman year at High School. When I first started I did 10 sets of 10 reps for each body part I did.

At the end of the summer I was 142lbs within that same year.

It is scientifically proven that high reps of heavy weights is a great way to pack on muscle in a shorter time period.
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    You see there are no rules to follow to weight training.

Everybody's will respond diffrent to diffrent workouts, there is no such thing as one way to do something to pack on muscle.

? when I first started working out I was 110 lbs....It was April in my freshman year at High School. When I first started I did 10 sets of 10 reps for each body part I did.

At the end of the summer I was 142lbs within that same year.

It is scientifically proven that high reps of heavy weights is a great way to pack on muscle in a shorter time period.
    I know different thing work for different people.... I thought it was scietifically proven that lifting heavy weights with low reps was the way to pack on muscle in a shorter time period, or am I mistaken?
  • Millions Knives
    edited July 2010
    Options
    WallH wrote: »
    I know different thing work for different people.... I thought it was scietifically proven that lifting heavy weights with low reps was the way to pack on muscle in a shorter time period, or am I mistaken?

Yeah pimpin....people been using heavy weights with high reps for decades!

Even the great Arnold did 3 sets of 20 rep squats increasing the weight....with a starting weight of 405

It can be done.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    Dick_Knubbler Members Posts: 86
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Goodluck with that ? my ? . Imma stick with my 3 sets 0f 6-10 reps HEAVY...Got me lookin like a big ass bear ENDOMORPH style
  • dreadedbwoy661
    dreadedbwoy661 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Interesting, but what should be noted is that both Arnold and this guy used steroids.

Doing that many reps will lead to overtraining almost certainly, and if it doesn't the majority of people would lose motivation to follow this routine do to the sheer volume of it.
  • Dick_Knubbler
    Dick_Knubbler Members Posts: 86
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Interesting, but what should be noted is that both Arnold and this guy used steroids.

Doing that many reps will lead to overtraining almost certainly, and if it doesn't the majority of people would lose motivation to follow this routine do to the sheer volume of it.

Not only that. YOU need to seriously intake a huge quantity of GLUTAMINE to help recover. There is no need to go past 15 reps in anything unless you are doing 1 REP MAX testing
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    22 reps? Wow. Thats crazy. You gotta be on the juice if you cranking out 22 reps of heavy weights. I'll stick to the 10-12 rep range. Thats what works for me.
  • Keston169
    Keston169 Members Posts: 422
    edited July 2010
    Options
    22 at 325 thats crazy