Old article: Obama’s scolding tone with black audiences is getting old...and a few comments

Options

Comments

• manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    I understand the backlash in the slew of comments, even if the speech was supposedly well-intentioned.

It does get repetitive and perhaps unnecessary / counterproductive talking at Black people all the time in some accusatory / derogatory tone, especially when not having assessed that it's the appropriate audience being addressed, or even that your statements are correct / generalizing / stereotypes.

For instance, one person says to a Black man: "Black men need to stop having multiple baby mamas on welfare, living in their mama's basement, with they pants sagging, on listening to Lil' Wayne"... not even considering that the Black man they're talking to might be taking care of his one kid (or doesn't have any kids), never received public assistance, doesn't listen to Lil' Wayne, has a college degree, has his own place, etc.... etc... and even knows several other responsible Black men.

So then it becomes, "Look, what the ? are you talking about ? ? my face with that ? . Talk to those Black men you're referring to and stop talking ? as if all Black men are like this - that ? is played. Do people address all white men by saying, Y'all need to stop shooting up schools ? dammit."

But if that's the case, when statements are made that address those concerns, why would a person who doesn't fit the description be offended?? I've never heard Obama, or even Cosby for that matter say ALL black men are this or that. The people usually most offended by those statements are the ones that need to hear it the most. No one is above criticism, if it's constructive in nature
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    My only issue with Obama was him not doing anything about these race soldiers unjustly killing black people. Imagine if we had an Asian, Jewish, or ? president and we see race soldiers murdering any of those groups at the rate black people were getting murdered, and them not doing anything to help their own. They would've done something about that ? . And if Obama can give criticism of the black community then I can give criticism about his presidency.

two different things....

those groups are a unit....we are a unit when its convenient and even then we have ? who want to be mavericks.

Obama had a very hard job and I understand the bigger picture.

cut him some slack
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Has America taken corrective action for an African-American (descendant of a slave) to be president?

Does it mean going to a private high school, inheriting $500k from a grandmother which means that you'd gotten financial help throughout your life, having a father as an Harvard alum so you can check that box

On the other hand, Michelle's life story is the African American story

Just questions for a debate, don't go for my head, pause

America will never get to the point where it's progressive enough to take corrective action for slavery. That's a pipe dream, bruh. Is it necessary for blacks to completely heal?? Definitely, but it ain't gone happen.

If argue that having a black man with an ivy league educatiom that played "their" game and won is just as progressive as the person that bucks the system and wins. Overcoming oppression is having the freedom to be what u want when u want, regardless of the dominant opinion. Again, Obama wasn't perfect, but going back to 2008 to what Trump inherited, the ? walked on water

When I mentioned inheritance and private school those are the things that obama got and whats needed if you want to compete at the elite level. Most African Americans barely compete at the median

People can laugh at Mayor Berry but at least he made sure blacks got contracts from DC - I believe in patronage.
    One of the areas that was disappointing was the low SBA loans - ? was embarrassing

i wasnt aware he got those things....but the point we should focus on is that he didnt squander it away. and he lived up to the potential michelle and others saw in him.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    We scold because we love. If you don't give a ? you don't waste your breath.

this is simple yet the most powerful post in the history of the IC.

the perspective of the person receiving it will take it as looking down on them because their mindframe is fukked up.

if you know someone wants better for you...you will take it as encouragement
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I understand the backlash in the slew of comments, even if the speech was supposedly well-intentioned.

It does get repetitive and perhaps unnecessary / counterproductive talking at Black people all the time in some accusatory / derogatory tone, especially when not having assessed that it's the appropriate audience being addressed, or even that your statements are correct / generalizing / stereotypes.

For instance, one person says to a Black man: "Black men need to stop having multiple baby mamas on welfare, living in their mama's basement, with they pants sagging, on listening to Lil' Wayne"... not even considering that the Black man they're talking to might be taking care of his one kid (or doesn't have any kids), never received public assistance, doesn't listen to Lil' Wayne, has a college degree, has his own place, etc.... etc... and even knows several other responsible Black men.

So then it becomes, "Look, what the ? are you talking about ? ? my face with that ? . Talk to those Black men you're referring to and stop talking ? as if all Black men are like this - that ? is played. Do people address all white men by saying, Y'all need to stop shooting up schools ? dammit."

But if that's the case, when statements are made that address those concerns, why would a person who doesn't fit the description be offended?? I've never heard Obama, or even Cosby for that matter say ALL black men are this or that. The people usually most offended by those statements are the wins that need to hear it the most. No one is above criticism, if it's constructive in nature

They'd possible be "offended" by the apparent assumption that all Black men are like this, or that since you're saying it to them - that you're assuming they are like that.

They can also not be "offended" but annoyed by constantly hearing people ? on Black people when they, and a lot other Black folk they know, have their ? together.

And it's nonsense (no factual / logical basis) that the ones most offended are the ones who need to hear it the most.

This ? is equivocal to racial-profiling, where people say "if you're not guilty, then you have nothing to worry about". ? . Are you saying that a responsible Black man who ain't doing none of that ? - should be perfectly happy listening to those type of accusations every day ?

I don't see it like that and that's why I gave the example of preaching to white people about shooting up schools.
  • 7figz
    Options

the perspective of the person receiving it will take it as looking down on them because their mindframe is fukked up.

What if they "scolding" the wrong person ?
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But couldn't people who are scolding Obama say they are scolding him because we love
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It seems like no one wants to have a mirror put to our collective problems. Everything in the black community is great, right?? At some point, we have to start looking at ourselves and saying how can we improve ourselves from within. Why is it that the first thing we say when blacks bring up things we've done is "well, u ain't saying this to whites". The ? ?? When have whites ever did anything to help us??

It's ? on this site with multiple baby mommas, extensive criminal records, pimps, gang members, etc but genuinely ask what can another man (the president) do for them. How about u improve your situation for you and your immediate family? It's ? that I grew up with that's still in the same condition they were in from high school. No one can give u drive. But it's these sensitive ass Drake generation that can't take criticism.

? stay complaining about what Obama didn't do but they didn't go out and vote for democratic representatives to help put legislation through Congress. Y'all the same ? that's gone ask why Westbrook can't win a championship this year with no real help lol. Y'all got it. I'm off my soap box. Catch feelings....

fact is at one point he had a problem with his messaging to the blk community

his tone was at times paternalistic and condescending.....different from when he spoke to other audiences

it matters and is problematic because it perpetuated the myth that blk ppl, blk culture does not value education same as non blks and is more morally bankrupt than other cultures, races

framing blks as deficient and pathological

given that he was the president of the united states and his words reach millions of ppl, it was problematic
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

So then it becomes, "Look, who the ? are you talking to ? ? my face with that ? . Talk to those Black men you're referring to and stop talking ? as if all Black men are like this - that ? is played. Do people address all white men by saying, Y'all need to stop shooting up schools ? dammit."

this is a time when, more questions should be asked internally and to the person.

if the shoe dont fit...why you wearing it?

if that man said that and the guy hes speaking to doesnt hold himself to that manner...then why would he be offended?

maybe trying to see where the persons frustration is coming from rather than taking the defensive stance thinking it was offensive. he didnt say all black men...so right there...the other person shouldnt take that on.

when did being black turn into being sensitive?
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Has America taken corrective action for an African-American (descendant of a slave) to be president?

Does it mean going to a private high school, inheriting $500k from a grandmother which means that you'd gotten financial help throughout your life, having a father as an Harvard alum so you can check that box

On the other hand, Michelle's life story is the African American story

Just questions for a debate, don't go for my head, pause

America will never get to the point where it's progressive enough to take corrective action for slavery. That's a pipe dream, bruh. Is it necessary for blacks to completely heal?? Definitely, but it ain't gone happen.

If argue that having a black man with an ivy league educatiom that played "their" game and won is just as progressive as the person that bucks the system and wins. Overcoming oppression is having the freedom to be what u want when u want, regardless of the dominant opinion. Again, Obama wasn't perfect, but going back to 2008 to what Trump inherited, the ? walked on water

When I mentioned inheritance and private school those are the things that obama got and whats needed if you want to compete at the elite level. Most African Americans barely compete at the median

People can laugh at Mayor Berry but at least he made sure blacks got contracts from DC - I believe in patronage.
    One of the areas that was disappointing was the low SBA loans - ? was embarrassing

i wasnt aware he got those things....but the point we should focus on is that he didnt squander it away. and he lived up to the potential michelle and others saw in him.

On an individual basis yes but what about the collective? However great one shouldn't rely on outliers
    Similar to what Ta Neishi wrote, maybe the first black president had to have his background?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

But if that's the case, when statements are made that address those concerns, why would a person who doesn't fit the description be offended?? I've never heard Obama, or even Cosby for that matter say ALL black men are this or that. The people usually most offended by those statements are the wins that need to hear it the most. No one is above criticism, if it's constructive in nature

They'd possible be "offended" by the apparent assumption that all Black men are like this, or that since you're saying it to them - that you're assuming they are like that.

They can also not be "offended" but annoyed by constantly hearing people ? on Black people when they, and a lot other Black folk they know, have their ? together.

And it's nonsense (no factual / logical basis) that the ones most offended are the ones who need to hear it the most.

This ? is equivocal to racial-profiling, where people say "if you're not guilty, then you have nothing to worry about". ? . Are you saying that a responsible Black man who ain't doing none of that ? - should be perfectly happy listening to those type of accusations every day ?

I don't see it like that and that's why I gave the example of preaching to white people about shooting up schools.

could it be that people that made it out of the poorer crime ridden areas or hoods...went on to see the world and see that we actually have a chance if we get out our own way....but want to come back and say..cmon you can do this...you can be better.

why is that such a bad thing?

it kills me that the frustrated people who want more for our people are the one who got to fight the fukkery the most...yet, those that get money and never seen again....no one speaks on them.

again ....perspective.

i see it as a problem with some blacks taking criticism from other blacks...

if any of yall every played sports....you know how a coach will get on your ass if he sees you have the potential to be great but not living up to it.

but when a black man says it to another black man...that he can be great with a few tweaks....its a problem..

think about that
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

What if they "scolding" the wrong person ?

scolding or venting.

why feel the need to take the former if you dont fit the narrative?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »

But couldn't people who are scolding Obama say they are scolding him because we love

Obama has been where they are...they have not been where he is.

he can say what it takes to get out

those people cant tell him how to do better.
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    It seems like no one wants to have a mirror put to our collective problems. Everything in the black community is great, right?? At some point, we have to start looking at ourselves and saying how can we improve ourselves from within. Why is it that the first thing we say when blacks bring up things we've done is "well, u ain't saying this to whites". The ? ?? When have whites ever did anything to help us??

It's ? on this site with multiple baby mommas, extensive criminal records, pimps, gang members, etc but genuinely ask what can another man (the president) do for them. How about u improve your situation for you and your immediate family? It's ? that I grew up with that's still in the same condition they were in from high school. No one can give u drive. But it's these sensitive ass Drake generation that can't take criticism.

? stay complaining about what Obama didn't do but they didn't go out and vote for democratic representatives to help put legislation through Congress. Y'all the same ? that's gone ask why Westbrook can't win a championship this year with no real help lol. Y'all got it. I'm off my soap box. Catch feelings....

his tone was at times paternalistic and condescending.....different from when he spoke to other audiences

it matters and is problematic because it perpetuated the myth that blk ppl, blk culture does not value education same as non blks and is more morally bankrupt than other cultures, races

given that he was the president of the united states and his words reach millions of ppl, it was problematic

So then we as a community need to be pacified?? He's a black man that, contrary to some peoples opinion, understands black plight in America. Being a successful black man in america and leader of the free world at the time, I think his opinion on things would matter. But I'll take the bait: how should a black man address black people about black problems? Given your profile name, I assume you're a black woman. Speak on it....
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    As a representative of the US government he also had a responsibility to fix what was contributing to these pathologies. But then he'd say "change is slow"
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

fukk those people...

those people are not important

its condescending if you take it that way....it seems like he cant give food for thought.

case and point...right now its a drug problem in white areas...when a politician says they want to clean up the streets...we obviously know they aint talking north philly. cause its been that way. so we know it aint for us. its for them.

crazy how we can separate ? when we want to ....until it comes to someone who looks like us.
  • MarcusGarvey
    edited April 2017
    Options

When was he where they are?
    Even with his father gone, he still had familial help that most of those he was talking to don't
    Grandmother was VP at a bank, he was at a private school
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    As a representative of the US government he also had a responsibility to fix what was contributing to these pathologies. But then he'd say "change is slow"

change is slow....it takes time....he has to fix a country.

we as black people can fix ourselves. and the start date was yesterday
  • ghostdog56
    Options

Been where? He didn't come from the background of the type of people he is talking about
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited April 2017
    Options

So then we as a community need to be pacified?? He's a black man that, contrary to some peoples opinion, understands black plight in America. Being a successful black man in america and leader of the free world at the time, I think his opinion on things would matter. But I'll take the bait: how should a black man address black people about black problems? Given your profile name, I assume you're a black woman. Speak on it....

i refuse to be pacified.

i often bring this up....all this tough talk, beat a ? ass...record a chick being beat up, shoot up the mall, i bust my guns...? wont punk me, im not a ? talk....im from bedstuy the toughest of the tough hood and i walk around at 1am with a pocket full of money an no one will touch me because i got respect in these street....

where is all that ? ?

you mean to tell me, a few words hurt? a few words about bettering your situation is offensive? not the ? gunning for you cuz you wear red..not the latin kings or the tainos...but saying turn off the tv...that hurts and is offensive?

for you sensitive ? .....this aint all black people.

feel better?
  • ghostdog56
    Options

How does he understand the plight of black Americans? He comes from an immigrant father and a white mother he has no connection to black Americans history other than skin color
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

When was he where they are?
    Even with his father gone, he still had familial help that most of those he was talking to don't
    Grandmother was VP at a bank, he was at a private school

but hes still a black man.

all that ? dont matter.

his background dont matter.

hes still a black man that needed to walk the walk that was his to take.

and he took it.

i often see on this site and hear dudes in my old hood...talk about how we are stopped from doing this and that.

but can you really speak on it if you never tried?

we can not live in the shadow or failures of other black men.

we are individuals, and we each have talents someone else might not have.

as much as i travel...i see that black men can dominate ? ...if

IF they only step outside the box and the limits placed on us by want nothing ass peers.
  • 7figz
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't know how else to explain it to y'all.

It sounds like y'all are saying that people who lecture (based on stereotypes) can be indiscriminate about it, and any Black man should have the "patience of Job" listening to said lectures, even if it doesn't refer to them.

I don't see it that way. For instance, what if there wasn't one Black guy in the room who had a BM, and instead several who had been assaulted by police ? You really think they should just sit back and take a lecture about the stereotype you have for Black men, in stride ?

If so, that's your business. I don't have time for that ? .

And if MFs don't see the harm caused by assuming that all Black people do some negative ? , or always talking about that, instead of positive /responsible ? we doing - then I don't know what to tell you either.

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Been where? He didn't come from the background of the type of people he is talking about

was he not in chicago?

do you have to struggle to know what it is to be a black man?

whats the difference between a black man from hawaii and a black man from chicago?

nothing
  • manofmorehouse
    Options

i refuse to be pacified.

i often bring this up....all this tough talk, beat a ? ass...record a chick being beat up, shoot up the mall, i bust my guns...? wont punk me, im not a ? talk....im from bedstuy the toughest of the tough hood and i walk around at 1am with a pocket full of money an no one will touch me because i got respect in these street....

where is all that ? ?

you mean to tell me, a few words hurt? a few words about bettering your situation is offensive? not the ? gunning for you cuz you wear red..not the latin kings or the tainos...but saying turn off the tv...that hurts and is offensive?

for you sensitive ? .....this aint all black people.

feel better?

100. It's alot of us waiting for outside help when we acknowledge everyday that that outside help ain't coming. We're in a position everyday to change our circumstances. Life is about choices u make, plain and simple. Pointing this out isn't talking down to folks. It's passing down possible solutions. We either are going to fix us or keep perishing.