4:44 Album - *JAY-Z* (06/30/17).

Options

Comments

• buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me an album gotta be out at least 5, 10 years before I can consider it classic.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be fair a lot of albums get called classic for so many variables that don't have anything to do with the actual music.
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    To me an album gotta be out at least 5, 10 years before I can consider it classic.

Fans of them ? you posted calling they music classic man and tjey only putting out mixtapes
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options
    ? is the only rapper to have a 5 mic album in 3 different decades

Sure, if you're very liberal with the mics I guess. IMO, his only 5 mic albums are RD and Blueprint. And I wouldn't even give Blueprint 5 mics. I just wouldn't argue with someone if they did.

Reasons why I'll call this album​ a classic

1. Timing
    2. Subject matter
    3. Growth
    4. Lyrics actually carrying the song and not the beat
    5. No promo singles
    6. No rap features
    7. Beat selection
    8. Final album
    9. General positive reception
    10. Flow
    11. Unexpected

Can't think of more right now. But honestly ain't nobody as old as Jay dropping anything close to this. Y'all always saying old rappers need to ? and nobody wants to hear them.

Dude is almost 50 years old and flowing his ass off. Not only does the album inspire younger rappers to get on their ? .

It might also inspire the older rappers to get back on their ? . Hip hop is not a young man's game, this proves that.

The majority of that list isn't even really music oriented though. 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 11 really shouldn't even be considered when calling an album a classic. I mean if it's a fan classic or a personal classic to you for those reasons, that's cool. But come on, if we are objectively rating the music then only 2, 4, 7, and 10 from your list really matter. 3 is iffy, but I can see that being a reasonable consideration. And 4 probably isn't even true since a lot of the people in here calling the album a classic are doing so because of the production.
    Don't understand why it's an issue why some people feel insecure album is very great . Y'all not even discussing why y'all don't agree. Y'all just discussing the issues some of y'all have with people feeling this way with this album

Because I really don't have a problem with the album. I think it's a good album, just not a classic. I mean @Busta Carmichael is basically calling the album a classic because of a bunch of stuff that have nothing to do with the music. What does Jay being 50 have to do with anything? Since when was that a consideration for rating an album? To me Jay fans are the least objective fans period. It's like you go out of your way to overrate his stuff. But I guess it ain't really your fault. Jay is a great rapper, but he's a supreme self promoter and marketer, so it's not surprising people buy the hype.

? knew nothing about how this album would sound. If ? really feel this album is a classic why is that so hard to believe. Everyome expected another mchg and if you look at tje first replies whem this album dropped, everyone was surprised at the direction and sound of this album. I understand seeimg the reactions may come off as hyping it up alot, but this album is that good alot of people and the few that dont like the album or feel its over hyped obviously take issue with this album beimg praised like it is

I don't have a problem with the album being praised. But it's my opinion it's being overrated. I'm a rap fan. I listened to the album and I like it. I just don't think it's classic, and I don't really see how anyone else, objectively speaking, could call it a classic. Then I come on here and see a bunch of people calling it classic and then justifying that claim with a bunch of reasons that don't have anything to do with the music. So he's making grown man music. That's cool, but him making a good grown man album doesn't make it a classic automatically. It just seems like some of you are calling it Classic because you're surprised at how good it is and because it might be Jay's last album (again).

Speaking for myself, i think its a classic cause its that great of an album. Its just ? in here genuinely upset and trolling cause of how much people enjoying and rate the album.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    To be fair a lot of albums get called classic for so many variables that don't have anything to do with the actual music.

Like what?

? wasn't out there calling Ready to Die a classic because Biggie was fat but still getting ? .

They lowkey called Eminems classic because he was white and could spit.

Completely ignoring rappers that rapped exactly like him.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Dehaven is all on IG riding Hov nh...

Weird.
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options

Weird.

Vibing to a snake ? music huh?
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Speaking for myself, i think its a classic cause its that great of an album. Its just ? in here genuinely upset and trolling cause of how much people enjoying and rate the album.

I'm not upset that people like the album. I like it too. I just think people are overrating it. Me not thinking it is a classic shouldn't be trolling any more than you think it is. I'm sure there are legitimate Jay haters that are mad he released a good product. That's not me. I'd give the album 4/5 and I'm not a Jay fan. That's higher than what I'd give Boomiverse (3.5) and I'm a legitimate Big Boi fan, so I'm not just hating.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn Jay came with that fire. I honestly can say this is Jay's best album since The Black Album
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options

I'm not upset that people like the album. I like it too. I just think people are overrating it. Me not thinking it is a classic shouldn't be trolling any more than you think it is. I'm sure there are legitimate Jay haters that are mad he released a good product. That's not me. I'd give the album 4/5 and I'm not a Jay fan. That's higher than what I'd give Boomiverse (3.5) and I'm a legitimate Big Boi fan, so I'm not just hating.

Im not even talking about you. You the only person who disagrees with the classic stamp thats not trolling and actually have a valid argument
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Cain wrote: »

Weird.

Link

IC won't link captions but u can see them for yourselves.

Bunch of other photos too
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options

Weird.

Link

But why give props to a snake ? ? ? hurt cause they not in emory or tyty spot.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Options

Like what?

? wasn't out there calling Ready to Die a classic because Biggie was fat but still getting ? .

You joking but that's damn near how it is at times

"I remember being in the lunch line and "In Da Club" came on over the PA and the principal was dancing. Our principal didn't like anything. Hell yeah it's a classic"

"Pac went number one in jail"

? like this is said on here all the time.
  • double0suge
    double0suge Members Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? really put the 444 in his name
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is the only rapper to have a 5 mic album in 3 different decades

Common, Killah Priest, Nas
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Options
    White folks claiming anti semitism

How did they get that out of what was said?
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Weird.

Link

Time heals all wounds. I think he just showing support.
  • Mr 202
    Mr 202 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Weird.

Link

Plan A didn't work for him so he's on Plan B right now.
    I been a Jayz fan since reasonable doubt,I have been on his side through the beans, dame and currently Kanye beef, he provided opportunities for those guys to be rich forever.
    One thing I will never support him for is his treatment of Jaz o and dehaven.
    I don't care what they did to him, he doesn't have to hang with them, he can just set them up financially especially jaz o.
    It sad to see where he's at financially and where Jaz o is at. "I came in the game on Jaz back"
    This is not about who wronged who,it's about making sure Jaz o is good.he deserves it.

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watching the footnotes for the story of Oj on Tidal..
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options

Weird.

Link

Time heals all wounds. I think he just showing support.

True. Hopefully thats the case
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr 202 wrote: »

Weird.

Link

Plan A didn't work for him so he's on Plan B right now.
    I been a Jayz fan since reasonable doubt,I have been on his side through the beans, dame and currently Kanye beef, he provided opportunities for those guys to be rich forever.
    One thing I will never support him for is his treatment of Jaz o and dehaven.
    I don't care what they did to him, he doesn't have to hang with them, he can just set them up financially especially jaz o.
    It sad to see where he's at financially and where Jaz o is at. "I came in the game on Jaz back"
    This is not about who wronged who,it's about making sure Jaz o is good.he deserves it.

But Jaz-O didn't sign the contract