Create Your Own Label Finals - Winner: Renaissance Rocafella Records (4 - 2)

Options

Comments

• yung$
    yung$ Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao yo forget it
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Staning?

Scust
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Future Sales: NME starts off very strong in terms of sales but seems to slow down once you begin to move down the roster. Not saying the Wu Tang label members aren't great artists with strong fan bases, but I'm not sure if they can maintain the consistency in sales to sustain the label. RRR asserts itself as a pretty consistent label from top to bottom in the sales category. They won't break any records but they will remain consistent and move some units.

RRR

Future Critical Acclaim: NME establishes itself as a label that looks to give the critics and fans alike what they want to hear. If done right, they can garner plenty of critical acclaim while making some really dope sounds. A few tracks of some Wu legends may be all it takes. The sub label has tons of potential. RRR once again proves to be very consistent but I believe the potential that NME has gives them the edge.

NME

Longevity: Once again I have to be a fan of experience in this category. The NME team has a roster full of artists that have continued to be relevant in the game and can continue to make an impact with the right management. The RRR team is slightly younger but they definently have the potential to make some noise with good management, marketing and production. I am just a fan of experience in the longevity department. Show me what you have already done. NME does just that.

NME

Album Covers/Tracklists: I love the way that RRR has the same feel to all their album covers. They come across as a team and it shows in the covers. NME just has some brilliant covers though. They may not have the same "team" feel to them but they are creative and capture the vibe of the artists. Tracklists look good on both sides and have a good mix. The album covers just stand out to me. This was close but I have to go with the creativity and looks of NME. I don't think RRR should sway from that team feel though. It works for them.

NME

Cohesion: As I have had an issue with the entire tournament, I don't know how the different tiers of NME will work. It could be genius or it could just backfire. As with the covers the RRR team has produced, they show they are just that, a team. They also pass my eye test as a label. I don't see cohesion being an issue with RRR. I just can't take the risk involved the the NME team.

RRR

This was what I expected and this was a battle. It was a lot closer than it looked. Great job by both labels.

Winner: New Money Entertainment
  • GovernmentCheese
    GovernmentCheese Members Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Michael_Malice thanks for the vote fam. Match is now tied 1 - 1 best of 7!
  • nillerthekid
    nillerthekid Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Future sales: NME – this is a close call (every single category is, real dope match up). Both labels have a good mix of commercial appeal and people with critically appeal, so this category comes down to who has the most acts to do numbers, and I believe Sion comes out on top here. Drake will properly sell a lot for a long time, especially with the projects lined up, which looks to be stuff that could be very progressive for Drake as an artist, and thus allow him to remain on top. Furthermore he has Rihanna and Nicki Minaj, who both could do great numbers, with the right management and projects, things that appears to be in order at New Money ENT. Sade and Alicia Keys are also people who most likely will be doing great numbers, and The Weeknd is on the rise, looking to be a mainstream force to be reckoned with.
    RRR has its fair share of people who could potentially do big numbers, but only Jay is an almost guaranty to do so, an d the second tier artist at RRR won’t do as great numbers as the second tier at NME.

Future critical acclaim: NME – again, the two labels are very alike. They both have people who are almost guaranteed to get highly acclaimed, but also a few people who are very unlikely to see any. Once again it’s a numbers game, and Sion really brings it with the Wu. They have been going strong for 20 years, and don’t seem to be slowing down, especially with the projects lined up, which all looks real promising. On top of that most of the remaining acts also have something to offer in here. Sade and Quincy Jones are a sure thing in this category, and so is Alicia Keys. Drake also has the potential to deliver some quality stuff, with the upcoming projects Sion has looking promising.
    Iceberg has quite a few emcees that should be very hungry to prove themselves with people like J. Cole, Lloyd Banks, Wale, Pusha and Currensy. Having them on the same label could provide some friendly competition, and the projects they are dropping looks like something critics could love. This could also be helpful to Jay, having a bunch of “young” guys to raise the bar, and compete with. But unlike NME, the R’n’B acts probably won’t help here, Jhene Aiko doesn’t have the potential to drop classic material, and hanging out with Rihanna won’t change this. The-Dream could drop some great stuff, but it would depend on how his album would end up. In the end Sion beats Iceberg by the numbers.

Longevity: NME – this one is closely related to the prior category, so the arguments for Sion winning this one are pretty much the same as for him winning future critical acclaim. While sales don’t necessarily guarantee longevity, it is usually a pretty good indicator.

Album covers/tracklist: NME – both dropped some incredibly dope stuff here, but Sion takes it due to, in my opinion, better diversity. A lot of Icebergs stuff has the square thing in the middle of the cover in common, and while I really like the cohesion in the artwork, Sion showed a wider range when creating his covers. He has some real simple stuff, and some very complex stuff, where it looks like he really put a lot of thought into even minor details (not saying this isn’t the case for Iceberg).
    Both guys come with some really dope tracklists, stuff that looked realistic, but risky at the same time, which is something I appreciated.
    In the end Sion takes this category due to a more diverse range in the cover artwork, in my opinion.

Cohesion: RRR – this is probably the easiest one to judge, simply because it’s easier to see where Iceberg is going, and it ties in with his label name. It really could be a renaissance Roc-a-Fella. New Money ENT. on the other hand has a little more muddy mixture of acts, and while I do like the mix of young mainstream acts and older people like the Wu and Sade, it’s not the most cohesive label structure.

Vote goes to: Sion and New Money ENT.
  • GovernmentCheese
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks @nillerthekid
    @sion is now up 2 - 1 best of 7!
  • GovernmentCheese
    Options
    Future sales: I'm going with @icebergtaylor RRR label. I just can't imagine the Wu Tang Clan doing good in this category. Other than that, both labels are strong and I had a hard time picking a winner in this category. Drake has a superstar in Drake but Berg counters that with Jay. That brings things to the all star/ mid tier level. If we're talking future sales, Berg has a lot of underrated artist. Kid Cudi releases still manage to sell well despite him no longer being signed to G.O.O.D music. Wale has a lot of potential especially being on a label that he is really cohesive with. I know for a fact that Sion's label won't have any problems with future sales either but the Wu Tang Clan brings him down a little bit here.

Vote: Renaissance Rocafella Records

Future Critical Acclaim - I am going with @sion here. Both artist also really strong here but there are artist on Sion's label that are guaranteed to drop critically acclaimed albums. For ex. The Wu, Quincy Jones, Sade, and Alicia Keys are experienced vets that can release critically acclaimed albums in their sleep. Quincy Jones is also a genius behind the scenes, having him with Sade and A. Keys is a deadly combo. There are a lot of artist on RRR that have the potential to drop classics but I rather go with the proven vets here.

Vote: New Money Ent.

Longevity: Another hard category for me but I'm going with @Sion‌ the artist that shines here is Birdman. Jay Z and Birdman are moguls and great businessman but Birdman is a more established and experienced CEO imo. I can imagine him keeping New Money Ent. around for a long time because it's something he's done with his label in real life.

Vote: New Money Ent.

Album Covers/Tracklists: I was about to call this a tie but something bothered me from @sion side and that little mistake (imo) made me go with @icebergtaylor here. Sion's mistake here is over saturation. Way too many Drake albums, I felt some were dope but unnecessary. I felt that Ice had the right amount of covers and they all flow well together. Like I said before, both labels did a phenomenal job in trhis area but I think that Sion went a little overboard with the album releases to the point that

Cohesion: This is the only category where it was easy for me to pick a winner. I'm going with @icebergtaylor here. RRR is one big family. I like how Wale is with J. Cole (surprised I didn't see a collab album, would've been dope and different). I think RRR's rosters fits it's artistic theme more than the roster fit the theme Sion has. I just can't imagine The Wu Tang Clan being under Birdman.

My vote goes to @icebergtaylor
  • GovernmentCheese
    Options
    Match is now tied up 2 - 2 best of 7!
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and now for the toughest matchup to judge

future sales: i think both teams are very strong in terms of sales with several gold and platinum acts and a few borderline breakthrough gold acts, on renaissance i see a couple borderline acts such as currensy and jhene aiko, but those acts as well as pusha t are buzzing so i think chances are good that they breakthrough, new money's roster of albums is very similar except for one small factor, new moneys only weakness in this category is the extensive amount of releases from the wu tang family, sure they have a fanbase but im not sure its strong enough to get there buzz moving upwards instead of downwards or take any of the solo records anywhere near gold, the releases from drake, nicki and rihanna may make up for that, but i think renaissance is just a bit more consistent

Winner: Renaissance

future critical acclaim: i see a lot of potential on both sides here, a good mix of established veterans that critics probably already loved plus some new comers that are sure to gain the attention of the critics, and although new money may have a bit of oversaturation i think they have made subtle changes that can positively affect how critics would feel, overall imo this category is a

TIE

longevity: here i see that the healthy mix of veterans surrounded by young guns that can keep them relevant for a lil while longer than expected comes into play again, both have veterans that might be on their last runs like jay z or sade, but the young guns seem to be the main focus on renaissance, on new money the young guns seem to slightly have the advantage and the vets are surrounded by the right producers and collaborators to keep them fresh, but what may possibly hurt here is the oversaturation again, with the abundance of releases from the wu members as well as drake, one would wonder are the fans goin to have enough time to sit and digest one release or will the next one come and hit em in the head and make them forget about the previous one, plus i can see the veterans on renaissance lasting just a tad longer than the vets/legends on new money

album covers/tracklist: when it comes to tracklists, i feel like both teams did a great job capturing the feel and concepts that the artists would be going for on those particular projects, hard to find any holes in that area i feel like ive said this a few times b4 but this here may be the closest category of all, as i said b4 i really like the abstract feel to the artwork on the renaissance label, really like how no artists picture appears on the covers, yet they still fit the theme of the album, and on new money's side the art gets abstract over there as well but the only difference is, its just a LITTLE more diverse on that side, renaissances artwork just flows together like water, but new money's just sticks out a lil more barely, both sides did a phenomenal job of using art i could easily see on a real album cover but i give the edge to

Winner: New Money

cohesion: i think both sides are very strong cohesively in terms of the albums and the production and feature choices, but when i look at both labels and their rosters overall is where i find the deciding factor, renaissance seems like a label that is more likely to be close knit, especially with a roster containing jay, wale, and j. cole, it comes off as if rocafella was passing the torch to j. cole to run things imo, i still believe new money is one of the strongest cohesively, but when i think about it i dont quite see the wu, drake, sade, quincy jones, and birdman being as tight knit of a family, i have to give the edge to

overall winner: Renaissance Rocafella Records

gawd this was tough
  • GovernmentCheese
    Options
    @thanks for the vote Peezy_Jenkins

@icebergtaylor now leads 3 - 2 best of 7!

• MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First off shout out to @governmentcheese for keeping me in the game but also u get a damn man (but only because the growth from last time to this time is amazing!! Makes it very hard to judge) As always I will keep mine short and to the point, here we go.

Future sales: goes to @icebergtaylor . Both have strong artists but I agree with Malice/Governmentcheese in that I am not sure how long Wu can carry the label. They have already been in the game a very long time and despite their strong fan base I just dont see them relevant a few years down the line (in new released music). I think the younger, hungrier artists will push for years to come

Future Critical Acclaim: goes to @Sion. Q has this on lock, he is a mastermind and has proven that through several decades. Anything he touches is good money. And here is where artists like Wu, Keyes, Sade give the edge. They are proven, their formula is solid, they have solid fan base to drive the numbers. Fans will pretty much support anything from them.

Longevity: TIE. I can't decide if young or established will win it here.

Album/Tracklist: My favorite category and this is where the game has REALLY stepped up! Shout out to all that helped in creating the art!! @Sion had 'live' art with the Drake cover, that was interesting to see and I loved the symbolism in the Raekwon cover. @iceburgtaylor did it up with the Jet Life and Wale covers having a lot of abstract flavor. This is always a tough category. Tracks were strong on both sides but the art gives the edge

Goes to @‌icebergtaylor

Cohesion: @iceburgtaylor. Feels like a true Rockafella unit. As stated I am not sure that Sion's line up mesh as well as a cohesive unit

My overall winner @‌icebergtaylor

Congrats to both, great game!

excellence.jpg

• IceBergTaylor
    Options
    ieH37Ue83v6Gz.gif

ROC WE RUNNIN THIS GAME ?

Shout outs to @Sion and everyone who participated. Made this 2nd edition hard to top! In the end I had too much going on from top to bottom. I might bow out gracefully after this tourney. It will be tempting to defend my belt tho cause I already have a plan for the next game. Once again, thanks everybody! I just created the new blueprint to win this game. Take it in Blood ya dug

aQL23zm.jpg

a_560x375.jpg
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was a dope match up. shout to both opponents.

Sion brought that heat but Taylor didnt flinch once and took home the W and belt.

Cant wait to do this again it was fun
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    'Grats bruh damnnnn yo u dethroned Sion but he still got runner up so thats whats up too.

Now I dont feel so bad about losing in my round cause this ? won the whole damn thing
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Shout outs to that one guy with the label he boasted about and couldnt even get to the finals to be swept by me. Til next time struggle ? .
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    ^^ my biggest fan lol
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited March 2014
    Options
    LOL ? didnt even say a name. Losers with guilty consciouses....

diddy-dance-o.gif
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    lol U did your thing fam, no hard feelings
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Word up its all in the game
    Lookin forward to the next one
  • BarreGoff
    BarreGoff Members Posts: 326 ✭✭