What would it take for you to become a hockey fan?

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in From the Cheap Seats
More black/non-Cac stars?

Higher scoring games?

More media coverage?

I'm only asking because what little I've seen this year (G7 of Pens vs. Caps, G1 and part of G2 of the Stanley Cup Finals) has actually been decent. Certainly has been better overall than these wack-ass NBA playoffs.

Is it worth tuning in? And if not, what can entice it to get YOUR attention?

Comments

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A gun to my head for the rest of my life
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im already a hockey fan.

its crazy when white people think you related to the only black gun on the team.....

people are stupid
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruins in the playoffs
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being from detroit i know alot about hockey and followed it growing up back when we were good with yzerman federov shannahan had the rivalry with the colorado avalanche.

Went to games win i was younger nothing like a game at the Joe. But I'm not gonna follow it year round like the poster above mentioned.

And playoff hockey is goat. Won't pay attention until the redwings are good again
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    More black/non-Cac stars?

Higher scoring games?

More media coverage?

I'm only asking because what little I've seen this year (G7 of Pens vs. Caps, G1 and part of G2 of the Stanley Cup Finals) has actually been decent. Certainly has been better overall than these wack-ass NBA playoffs.

Is it worth tuning in? And if not, what can entice it to get YOUR attention?

There's already too much of that ? where I'm at. The recent lockouts were the best thing to happen during those years.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I mean, don't get me wrong. In some places, they run hockey on SportsCenter more than anything else.....especially in Canada. They were covering the NHL combines and the draft like it was the NFL draft.

Hockey has stars as well: Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, Johnny Quick, Ovie, PK. They're there...it's just hockey is overlooked outside of the "Original Six" major hockey towns in the US: Detroit, Boston, LA, NY, and all the Canadian teams.

I am happy for the Predators, tho. When I went to Nashville a few weeks ago, they were in the WC Finals and the whole town was rocking Red jerseys. I can only imagine how they've been acting over the last week.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I feel hockey is inherently disadvantaged from a social standpoint, because a lot of people don't really relate to it.

For basketball, it's easy to set up a trashcan or something as a faux hoop. Or go to a local playground. With football you just need the ball and some space. Same with soccer. Baseball is easy too.

Hockey? You need a ? rink, some skates, sticks and a puck at the very least. That alone makes it unrelatable. And it's hard for people to get into sports they didnt grow up on.

TO answer the question, I'd want to see more ? and higher scoring.
  • aka40Cal
    aka40Cal Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I started making the switch towards playoff hockey during the NBA east and west finals. Every game was pretty much a blowout. Playoff hockey is pretty entertaining tho. There were easily more than 4 overtime sudden death games which makes it more lit
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Becoming a white man
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whole team of nikki minaj's skating in thongs and ?
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I prefer it to most us sports
  • bkzlostchild
    bkzlostchild Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wont follow the whole season since its lined up with NBA but I do check in here & there to see how the Rangers & Isles doing. Only went to one hockey game in my life recently & man that ? was pretty dope. Definitely go again in the near future.

This year Stanley Cup Finals been good so far. Pulling for Nashville to get the upset
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The sad part is Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals got pushed to the NBC Sports Network in favor of a rerun of some Steve Harvey show. They got it bad. I usually watch some of the Finals, but I've been slipping this year. Only watched most of Game 1.

It'll never happen, but less players on the ice to equate more offense. It's basically like Soccer on skates. It's hard to keep people's attention with all the back n forth leading to no goals.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ? .

Names I can pronounce.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    I feel hockey is inherently disadvantaged from a social standpoint, because a lot of people don't really relate to it.

For basketball, it's easy to set up a trashcan or something as a faux hoop. Or go to a local playground. With football you just need the ball and some space. Same with soccer. Baseball is easy too.

Hockey? You need a ? rink, some skates, sticks and a puck at the very least. That alone makes it unrelatable. And it's hard for people to get into sports they didnt grow up on.

TO answer the question, I'd want to see more ? and higher scoring.

Nah Baseball in that same boat too.

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a retired black hockey player from Connecticut I think hockey will always in many ways be a niche sport and i am ok with that. Even in cold CT where we put out some of the best American players through our youth hockey/prep school system (2 on last nights cup team) most white people don't even ? with hockey that much.

I grew up in a hockey town in CT and people ain't really pack the games in high school till the team i was on was top 10 then #1 in the state rankings. When i went to college i was surprised at how many white people from CT in other towns ain't ? with hockey like that.

A live hockey game and playoffs are where it's at. And there are more black folk in the game than ever. Both teams had black players this cup final.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a retired black hockey player from Connecticut I think hockey will always in many ways be a niche sport and i am ok with that. Even in cold CT where we put out some of the best American players through our youth hockey/prep school system (2 on last nights cup team) most white people don't even ? with hockey that much.

I grew up in a hockey town in CT and people ain't really pack the games in high school till the team i was on was top 10 then #1 in the state rankings. When i went to college i was surprised at how many white people from CT in other towns ain't ? with hockey like that.

A live hockey game and playoffs are where it's at. And there are more black folk in the game than ever. Both teams had black players this cup final.

Lol yea I'm a retired athlete myself, I retired right after my senior year of high school...
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    allow karate kicks and have people getting they bellies cut open and ?
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hockey is an entertaining sports it's fast there could be a market in the UK for it if it was promoted better
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No helmets. They think they all tough ? Vikings anyway Since I only like it 4 the fights I'd like to see real serious career ending Injuries. Skull lacerations, Buck 50's from blades etc. More blood on the ice seriously. I'm sick like that and I crave it!