Teens film and laugh at drowning man instead of calling for help!

Options

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    The question remains; Are the teens guilty of Criminal Negligence?

Criminal Negligence

The degree of culpability is determined by applying a reasonable person standard. Criminal negligence becomes "gross" when the failure to foresee involves a "wanton disregard for human life" (see the discussion in corporate manslaughter).

The maximum penalties for criminal negligence causing ? harm and death are 10 years (14 years if the conviction is for street racing causing ? harm) and life imprisonment, respectively.

IMO they could be charged with Criminal Negligence for not calling 911. Their family lost all contact of the victim and had gone days without seeing him. They (the family) reported him "missing". If the teens had called 911 at least the family would have known what happened to him.

They won't be charged. CNN confirmed this. Can't arrest someone for being an ? .

@twentyfivelighters they've been charged

Good ? those ?

Watch it with that "? " ? . You could disagree with these dudes and their individual characters without jumping off the racist deep-end.

This the type of ? I wonder how mods let rock on here.

It was like a 20 minute time gap between his post and yours. Mods ain't on here every second....post is buried. Poster has been will be dealt with.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    10-20. That's just a guess though. It could be more or it could be less.

The existence of worldstar doesn't mean that there is no contradiction in America's beliefs here, just so you know. Either we see ourselves as having a duty to help others, or we do not. By and large, America does not seem to think that duty exists, and from what my web search shows there are not many laws that say that it exists.

Bruh we're talkin about 14-16 yr olds. A highly impressionable age group.

2 hrs/
    week watching the news vs 20 hrs playing/watching violence

What do u think has a greater effect on them in terms of desensitization?

That assumes that the news is the only outlet where these ideologies manifest

So then where else do u think your average 14-16 yr old learns about single payer health coverage and white supremacist organizations?

Is maybe social studies class making these kids apathetic as well?

From their parents, teachers, uncles, aunts, grandparents, etc

And same as you have ppl like Trump and Romney who like to portray themselves as self made and the poor as the "takers"

Film, tv, video games, etc reinforce and help perpetuate American individualism or rather this idea that comfort and success result from personal qualities and white supremacy as well

And i would agree it does foster apathy and resentment for certain segments of the society

Consider the way blk ppl are portrayed in film and tv with negative stereotypes for example

Or the way the needy and or poor are portrayed as the takers or lazy or irresponsible

Its really not hard to see

And evident in the way most mainstream americans respond coldly to incidences of police misconduct when the victim is blk and or poor

Or the fact that most americans don't believe healthcare should be a right

So with all that said...do u think this is the fault of a single political party?

Also consider trump's approval rating is the lowest for any president in america's history if we are going to draw those parallels

What happened with the man is an extreme case

And no one party, movie, game is responsible

Its a combination of things

But the Right does a lot to push certain narratives and ideas that foster apathy

I agree. So saying something like "i blame the political right" is ignoring the whole "combination of things" and making the conversation of this incident into something political when it shouldnt be.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

The existence of worldstar doesn't mean that there is no contradiction in America's beliefs here, just so you know. Either we see ourselves as having a duty to help others, or we do not. By and large, America does not seem to think that duty exists, and from what my web search shows there are not many laws that say that it exists.

2 hrs/

So then where else do u think your average 14-16 yr old learns about single payer health coverage and white supremacist organizations?

I don't get how you don't understand the basic concept of duty. America, by and large, doesn't see helping others as something people are obligated to do; these kids did not have a duty to do ? . If the law says they do have a duty to risk their well being for other people, then we have that duty in other scenarios. In other scenarios we do not, so we do not have a duty here.

Im not arguing whether they have a duty or not. I dont think they do either. We never disagreed there. What they did was distasteful but not criminal.

My argument is the teens actions have nothing to do with the politics that u brought into the thread. Them being scumbags and laughing at a dying person in imminent danger has nothing to with whos holding office.

Yes it does. It speaks to the rabid individualism and apathy within this country. You don't see a correlation between the proliferation of videos like these to generate capital (financial or social) and the polity of a state like Florida? (Take for instance Governor Scott.)

Our elected politicians don't speak to broader philosophical leanings?

These kids live in a country that has told them it doesn't give a ? about them and will only pay attention to them when something morbid happens, so they capitalized on that. That's what they've been trained to do.

So when we talk about accountability in a place where accountability means profit before people, these kids demonstrated accountability. They pulled up their bootstraps, pulled out their phones and filmed that poor man's death.

If they've failed morally, then so have we.

• (Nope)
    edited July 2017
    Options

2 hrs/

And same as you have ppl like Trump and Romney who like to portray themselves as self made and the poor as the "takers"

Film, tv, video games, etc reinforce and help perpetuate American individualism or rather this idea that comfort and success result from personal qualities and white supremacy as well

And i would agree it does foster apathy and resentment for certain segments of the society

Consider the way blk ppl are portrayed in film and tv with negative stereotypes for example

Or the way the needy and or poor are portrayed as the takers or lazy or irresponsible

And evident in the way most mainstream americans respond coldly to incidences of police misconduct when the victim is blk and or poor

So with all that said...do u think this is the fault of a single political party?

Also consider trump's approval rating is the lowest for any president in america's history if we are going to draw those parallels

But the Right does a lot to push certain narratives and ideas that foster apathy

I agree. So saying something like "i blame the political right" is ignoring the whole "combination of things" and making the conversation of this incident into something political when it shouldnt be.

What creates that combination of things? What ideas? What system?
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »

2 hrs/

What creates that combination of things? What ideas? What system?

I know what youre trying to get at. If youre talking about the "american individualistic" system....why isnt everyone who feels slighted by it apathetic?

I assume there are more ppl who arent apathetic than those who are this is more an exception than the rule

When in history and under what system has apathy ceased to exist?
  • Go figure
    Options

2 hrs/

I don't get how you don't understand the basic concept of duty. America, by and large, doesn't see helping others as something people are obligated to do; these kids did not have a duty to do ? . If the law says they do have a duty to risk their well being for other people, then we have that duty in other scenarios. In other scenarios we do not, so we do not have a duty here.

Im not arguing whether they have a duty or not. I dont think they do either. We never disagreed there. What they did was distasteful but not criminal.

My argument is the teens actions have nothing to do with the politics that u brought into the thread. Them being scumbags and laughing at a dying person in imminent danger has nothing to with whos holding office.

Yes it does.

So if this had happened while obama was in office would u blame him?
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would you let a stranger die in front of you? If you had the ability to get them help?
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Criminal Negligence

The degree of culpability is determined by applying a reasonable person standard. Criminal negligence becomes "gross" when the failure to foresee involves a "wanton disregard for human life" (see the discussion in corporate manslaughter).

The maximum penalties for criminal negligence causing ? harm and death are 10 years (14 years if the conviction is for street racing causing ? harm) and life imprisonment, respectively.

IMO they could be charged with Criminal Negligence for not calling 911. Their family lost all contact of the victim and had gone days without seeing him. They (the family) reported him "missing". If the teens had called 911 at least the family would have known what happened to him.

They won't be charged. CNN confirmed this. Can't arrest someone for being an ? .

Good ? those ?

Watch it with that "? " ? . You could disagree with these dudes and their individual characters without jumping off the racist deep-end.

I'm black and it's not racism it's called self hatred and my hatred for those little ? ? is justified
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Criminal Negligence

Good ? those ?

I'm black and it's not racism it's called self hatred and my hatred for those little ? ? is justified

SneakyUniqueDogwoodtwigborer.gif
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Criminal Negligence

Good ? those ?

Grand openin grand closin
  • (Nope)
    Options

2 hrs/

Yes it does.

American's were unapologetically individualistic during Obama's presidency. We are discussing broader social philosophical leanings, and the election of Trump is just a manifestation and confirmation of that.

These children are imitating behavior that has been modeled in various arenas and deemed desirable.

That doesn't absolve them of guilt. But they are a symptom, not the disease.

Until we come together en masse and decide that accountability includes the well-being of others, then there is nothing aberrant about their behavior.

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So let me get this straight; Its Donald Trumps fault that that man drowned and the kids didn't call 911?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So let me get this straight; Its Donald Trumps fault that that man drowned and the kids didn't call 911?

Nobody mentioned Donald Trump. It's the kind of selfish, uncaring, apathetic beliefs that exist on the right side of the political spectrum that coincide with and support the unwillingness to help that we see in this video.
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2 hrs/

Yes it does.

American's were unapologetically individualistic during Obama's presidency. We are discussing broader social philosophical leanings, and the election of Trump is just a manifestation and confirmation of that.

These children are imitating behavior that has been modeled in various arenas and deemed desirable.

Until we come together en masse and decide that accountability includes the well-being of others, then there is nothing aberrant about their behavior.

Nobody mentioned Donald Trump. It's the kind of selfish, uncaring, apathetic beliefs that exist on the right side of the political spectrum that coincide with and support the unwillingness to help that we see in this video.

• Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huey_C wrote: »
    I hope MFs ain't gettin behind any law that requires Black folks to call 911.

Dude was drowning just ? call 911

Lol... how fast do y'all think 911 travel. Dude was already a goner by the time they realized he was gonna drown. Even if they did, and yes I agree they should have... at best the only thing they could do was point out the general area where he was last seen and the body would've been recovered earlier.

And all y'all sayin they should've swam out or threw something to him either didn't watch the video or have terrible spatial awareness.

They ? up for laughing and recording but his death was his own fault

Someone is drowning, burning, bleeding out call 911. Period, no debate. Even if that person is dying atleast their family can be notified and they'll have that aspect of closure. If u can administer first aid than cool but only in a logical situation.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My argument still holds even if you remove Trump or any president for that matter. Nixon, Regan, Bush, McCain, Limbaugh, Laren, DeVos... Pick a right winger, any right winger. Many of their views are still in direct conflict with the notion that we have a duty to help our fellow man

You guys are so desperate to refute the argument you can't even address it. You're reaching at the air.
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options

2 hrs/

Yes it does.

"Americans were unapologetically individualistic during obama's presidency"

Are u attributing this to obama holding office?

Does obama fall under "the political right"?

Because if not, we can now file "i blame the political right" under "false statement"...at least you are being consistent tho

Again, please tell me under what system or set of ideas where apathy ceased to exist.
  • Go figure
    Options
    My argument still holds even if you remove Trump or any president for that matter. Nixon, Regan, Bush, McCain, Limbaugh, Laren, DeVos... Pick a right winger, any right winger. Many of their views are still in direct conflict with the notion that we have a duty to help our fellow man

You guys are so desperate to refute the argument you can't even address it. You're reaching at the air.

Do u have an apathy meter we dont know about?

One can argue the murder rate in the highest poverty stricken neighborhoods have a high rate of apathy.

With that said, those conditions exist regardless of "left or right wing"

Do u disagree?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

2 hrs/

Yes it does.

Not sure exactly what their particular argument is about but nothing etherous here. The dude said the election of Trump is an example of the way some people have become... not that it's Trump's fault. If anything that's saying that people were already like that before Trump.
  • 7figz
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What about the son of that Australian chick who just got killed by the cops when she called 911 ?

Think he should be obligated to "call 911" too ?

Gotta like how ? like this is ignored by people who want to say "just call 911".

I think it would've been morally correct to call 911 too but I'm willing to also consider the details. And I'm willing to bet he'd have still died. And I'm willing to bet that if the cops had came, the young dudes would've been questioned, arrested, probably charged with smoking weed, and scrutinized at just about the same level they are now for taping it.

Also willing to bet that they've had, and also know people who have had bad (or fatal) experiences with cops.

Something the dude sboogie on here used to say really applies here - some of yall MFs act like locking people up is the only way to address ? , which makes yall sound like some arrogant racist whites. Somebody's mentioning how the same law could be used arbitrarily against ANY Black person and MFs first response is to wave the ? off like the cops you 'know and love' would never pull some ? like that.

How the ? do you figure that a 'crime' in which the accused actually had nothing to do with causing the event, and apparently seems to be only on a moral basis of what some say they should've did, only means of addressing it has to be locking them up. Smh.

So if my parent (or any relative) got killed by cops after calling 911, or if cops got a record of killing my people, I should be required to call 911 ? Right.

I'd still watch a cop drown at any given time. I'd probably light a cigar while the ? plays out, and clap at the end too, wouldn't call 911 either.
  • 7figz
    edited July 2017
    Options

Criminal Negligence

Good ? those ?

I'm black and ... it's called self hatred and my hatred ... is justified

Think about that ? for a few minutes. ^

So now you could spell the word differently, what's different now ?
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options

2 hrs/

Yes it does.

Not sure exactly what their particular argument is about but nothing etherous here. The dude said the election of Trump is an example of the way some people have become... not that it's Trump's fault. If anything that's saying that people were already like that before Trump.[/font]

My argument from the start was this has nothin to do with whos in office and they said yes it does.

So trump is a manifestation of this "apathy" and yet they said "people were unapologetically apathetic during obamas presidency"

So either obama is a manifestation of this apathy as well which means its not exclusive to right wing politics (making one of them wrong)

Or obamas not a manifestation meaning it has nothing to do with whos holding office. (Making both of them wrong)

They cosign each other while contradicting each other n the goal posts keep movin
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    JJ_Evans wrote: »

Criminal Negligence

Good ? those ?

SneakyUniqueDogwoodtwigborer.gif

He is black for future reference.