The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More people in Americans claim Irish ancestry than there are people in the entire country of Ireland...............
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    About this 100 mill that Conor is reportedly getting:

1. Conor is a foreigner, so he gets hit for taxes by the IRS and whatever tax laws he has back home
    2. Conor is not his own boss, he answers to Dana White and the others UFC owners, so however the contract was set up, they definitely getting a cut
    3. Still have to pay off his coaches, trainers and sparring partners (small percentage, but still)

Probably will end up with a net income of over $50 milli when its all said and done

Which is still not bad at all

Completely unnecessary and irrelevant
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »
    http://www.boxingscene.com/amir-khan-receives-shock-estranged-wife-reveals-pregnancy--119900

In other news, Amir Khan wifey got Anthony Joshuas baby in the oven? haha

? I posted he hit like a month ago an ? skipped over it
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Marciano's Son: Mayweather's Record Should Have an Asterisk!

Last week, Rocky Marciano Jr. - the son of legendary heavyweight Rocky Marciano - said Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor was nothing more than an "exhibition fight."

On Saturday night, Mayweather returned from a two-year retirement to stop McGregor in the tenth round at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The victory raised Mayweather's record to 50-0, which surpassed the 49-0 record of Marciano.

mayweather-marciano_1.jpg

Marciano Jr. - among many others - was upset with the Nevada State Athletic Commission for sanctioning Mayweather-McGregor as an official boxing match.

McGregor, a two division champion in the UFC, had no experience as a boxer. He made his professional boxing debut against one of the finest pure boxers in the history of the sport.

After the win, Mayweather acknowledged Marciano with praise.
    “Rocky Marciano is a legend,” Mayweather said. “I take my hat off to him. He paved the way for me to be where I’m at.”

Marciano Jr. has no beef with Mayweather surpassing the record - if the victory had come against a credible boxer.
    But under the circumstances of the fight, Marciano Jr. feels strongly that Mayweather's record should have an asterisk next to it.

“To me, it’s an exhibition fight. I think it definitely should [have an asterisk]. There’s such a big difference from the boxing ring to a UFC octagon, and it’s such a big learning curve. Mayweather’s had an incredible career and he’s had 20 years of greatness, but I would honestly give a boxer who has come up through the amateur ranks, having his first professional fight more of a chance than McGregor,"
    Marciano Jr. told the New York Post.

“The fight went pretty much the way I expected it to go. Mayweather would take it slow in the beginning and see what McGregor would throw at him. Mayweather knew that McGregor would tire in the later rounds. If people want to say this is breaking Marciano’s record, sure, it’s disappointing because you want to see him challenged and fight the best he could. If he wants to be the best pound-for-pound fighter of his generation or his weight class, I think as fans of boxing, we want to see people pitted against the best and then see the result, and that’s not what we [got]. There is such a discrepancy in experience. Will they say, ‘Yeah, he got it, but look how he got his 50th win?’ That’s the conversation moving forward.”

http://www.boxingscene.com/marciano-son-mayweather-record-an-asterisk--119920
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Last week, Rocky Marciano Jr. - the son of legendary heavyweight Rocky Marciano - said Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor was nothing more than an "exhibition fight."

On Saturday night, Mayweather returned from a two-year retirement to stop McGregor in the tenth round at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

The victory raised Mayweather's record to 50-0, which surpassed the 49-0 record of Marciano.

Marciano Jr. - among many others - was upset with the Nevada State Athletic Commission for sanctioning Mayweather-McGregor as an official boxing match.

McGregor, a two division champion in the UFC, had no experience as a boxer. He made his professional boxing debut against one of the finest pure boxers in the history of the sport.

“Rocky Marciano is a legend,” Mayweather said. “I take my hat off to him. He paved the way for me to be where I’m at.”

Marciano Jr. has no beef with Mayweather surpassing the record - if the victory had come against a credible boxer.
    But under the circumstances of the fight, Marciano Jr. feels strongly that Mayweather's record should have an asterisk next to it.

“To me, it’s an exhibition fight. I think it definitely should [have an asterisk]. There’s such a big difference from the boxing ring to a UFC octagon, and it’s such a big learning curve. Mayweather’s had an incredible career and he’s had 20 years of greatness, but I would honestly give a boxer who has come up through the amateur ranks, having his first professional fight more of a chance than McGregor,"

“The fight went pretty much the way I expected it to go. Mayweather would take it slow in the beginning and see what McGregor would throw at him. Mayweather knew that McGregor would tire in the later rounds. If people want to say this is breaking Marciano’s record, sure, it’s disappointing because you want to see him challenged and fight the best he could. If he wants to be the best pound-for-pound fighter of his generation or his weight class, I think as fans of boxing, we want to see people pitted against the best and then see the result, and that’s not what we [got]. There is such a discrepancy in experience. Will they say, ‘Yeah, he got it, but look how he got his 50th win?’ That’s the conversation moving forward.”

Rock had all of 3 or 4 legitimate fights in his entire career. Most of his fights were against bums and over the hill has beens.

Only names on his resume are 40 yr old jersey joe 2x, a 146 year old Joe Louis, an old Archie Moore,La starza, and ezzard Charles 2x.... Outside of the La Starza and Charles fights, Rocky's whole career was a ? mafia exhibition.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No on cares about the "record"
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Ehh...would of been better to watch him go up against creditable boxer, but Mayweather earned the right to face whoever he wanted to. MacGregor asked for this.

• OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »
    Ehh...would of been better to watch him go up against creditable boxer, but Mayweather earned the right to face whoever he wanted to. MacGregor asked for this.

Like who?
  • ghost!
    Options

Like who?

from a boxing point of view...was that really entertaining? MacGregor had not business being in that ring from a boxing standpoint. I think boxing purist when they want to watch a boxing match, they rather watch two legit boxers...then one legit boxer.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yah it was entertaining.. there are legit fighters who are legit boxers who aint legit..

he asked for it.. the great white hype was vanquished and shown to be out of his depth .. i think it was necessary on that end just so that could be done
  • ghost!
    edited August 2017
    Options
    i agree he asked for it, but MacGregor a few times after Floyd gave him his back...turn to hammering him in his head just to get a punch in...like yea naw, wanted Floyd to please end this.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lol Why are the Floyd fans so angry? Ya'll won.
    aneed123 wrote: »
    MallyG wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what the people bashing McGregor's performance expected. Yes Floyd rope-a-doped him, but Conor did the only thing he could. Y'all ? really think he had a shot at defeating a strategy that far more seasoned boxers couldn't? His best shot was to go all out, try to land some good shots, and hope his power was enough. He actually landed the shots. He just didn't have the power. At the end of the day, a fighter with no pro experience going 5 rounds with a GOAT contender is impressive even if the result was completely forseeable.

Connor did good for himself. Score was actually pretty close when he was TKO'd. It was a win-win for both fighters, which is why they agreed to it. Mayweather gets his 50th win, and faced a far subpar opponent. Connor had no business even going 10 rounds and got more money in one night than he would ever win in an entire MMA career.

Don't get it phucked up, May let it go to 10. He didn't respect his skills or power and let Connor think (and some unknowledgeable boxing fans think) he actually was doing something. He gave boxing and UFC fans (casuals and intellectual) a show and their moneys worth by extending the match. He was up by @ least 3 rounds anyway all while toying w/ him.

This ? chess not checkers.

I don't really agree with this. People are acting like Floyd could have ended the fight at any time, but that doesn't make sense. He basically relied on Conor tiring himself out to win, so what proof is there that he could have knocked Conor out at any time. People are kinda ignoring that Floyd fought a pretty aggressive fight by his standards. He wasn't just sitting back and letting Conor punch himself out. He took it to Conor throughout the fight. He was getting the better of Conor in those exchanges but Conor wasn't in any danger.

Homie u dont know boxing.. is it a coincidence soon a Conner got tired right hand fight over lol... it was like the rope a dope

lol What? Either you don't know what you're talking about or you can't read.

Floyd basically rope-a-doped Conor. We all know that. What's the point of the rope-a-dope? You basically let your opponent punch themselves out and then beat them when they are too tired to defend and respond. Mayweather played that to perfection, but the whole point is that in order for it to work, Conor had to actually be too tired to defend and respond. That point was clearly in the 9th and 10th rounds. So what makes people think Mayweather could have definitely finished Conor before that? It doesn't make sense. You basically acknowledge that Mayweather employed a certain strategy to win, but then turn around and act like he didn't win because of that strategy even though he himself is saying that the whole thing was all according to the strategy.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

This ? is stupid. All boxers have opponents throughout their careers that didn't deserve to be in the ring with them. Floyd breaking the record on such a fighter doesn't change anything.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Floyd let connor punch himself out but that wasn't the rope a dope
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Beta wrote: »

People are just using that term because the goal behind it and what Floyd did is the same.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

People are just using that term because the goal behind it and what Floyd did is the same.

Yeah i know it's semantics really
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same context... swing miss get tired.. get knocked out same ?
  • OmegaConflict
    Options

Like who?

from a boxing point of view...was that really entertaining? MacGregor had not business being in that ring from a boxing standpoint. I think boxing purist when they want to watch a boxing match, they rather watch two legit boxers...then one legit boxer.

It was all business tho. A very wise business decision for Floyd to come out of retirement to make a easy 350 million. So easy that he didn't need to train as hard, so easy he didn't have to work that hard to sell the fight. Soon as McGregor opened his mouth the fight was already sold.
  • OmegaConflict
    Options

Nope
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nope

what u mean no? its the same context let u tired urself out punching and missing and then the other fighter capitlizes
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://awfulannouncing.com/boxing/nearly-3-million-people-illegally-streaming-mayweather-mcgregor.html
    Nearly 3 million people illegally streamed the Mayweather-McGregor fight

If you wanted to watch Saturday night’s long-awaited fight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor, you had a few options. You could pay $100 to buy the fight on pay-per-view. You could head to a theater that was airing the bout for something like $40 a person. You could head to a local bar and hope the cover charge wasn’t too high.

Or, you could sit at home on your computer and search the internet for illegal streams.

According to Forbes, digital security company Irdeto reports that approximately 2,930,598 people chose the latter option. Per Fobes, Irdeto identified 239 illegal streams, 165 of which were made available through Facebook, Periscope, YouTube or Twitch and 67 of which were accessible on illegal streaming sites. Ads promoting the illegal streams were reportedly placed around the internet in advance of the fight.

According to Forbes, the promoters of Mayweather-McGregor were apparently not as successful in blocking illegal streams as the promoters of the 2015 bout between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao were.

In 2015, promoters Top Rank and Mayweather Promotions made a preemptive strike to shut down the possibility of illegal streams before they even took place. It was the first time that a lawsuit had been filed over piracy that hadn’t yet taken place.

At that time, Periscope took down 30 streams of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. This time around, it didn’t seem to deter “digital Robin Hoods” who paid for the pay-per-view and then streamed it from their account.

Those illegal streams surely took a huge bite out of the event’s revenues. If even 10 percent of the 3 million illegal streamers would have been otherwise inclined to pay for the fight, that’s an extra $30 million in PPV buys.

Of course, no one will go broke over these illegal streams. Whether or not Mayweather-McGregor tops Mayweather-Pacquiao in PPV buys, as widely anticipated, the numbers will be gaudy and everyone—Mayweather, McGregor, Mayweather Promotions, UFC, Showtime—will come out with a healthy check.

dtc7ihhhjiwo.gif

GettyImages-839697232.jpg
  • DoubleShotHelix
    DoubleShotHelix Members Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall ? sound stupid.... As long as you win clean. A W is a W. Especially when that w is the result of a guy being unable to stand under his own strength.

Yall mad at the wrong ? . Sound just like the clowns that were mad at Floyd because Pac couldn't hit Floyd even though Floyd was in the pocket for most of the fight.

Don't be mad at Floyd for stopping Conor and winning by tko. Be mad at Conor for being in worse shape than a 41 year old retiree that didn't even train for the fight.

Smh
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I scored the fight. I gave Connor rounds 1&2.....And that was it. Round 9 was a 10-8 round
    Floyd stayed right in front of dude....walked him down. Gave McGregor a target and made him pay for every mistake. I never really thought Floyd would go for the ? early....But I knew it wouldn't go the distance. It was a timeless strategy that boxers have been using against big punchers since forever.
    Let them punch themselves out,, then tag them when their hands get too heavy to protect them.
    I can't give McGregor a moral victory for playing right into Floyd's hands....
    It was an interesting fight. But they could have stopped it in 9 to be honest. I'm suprised Dana White ain't jump to stop it himself. Floyd would have killed that boy had he hit him a few more times. The ref saved that man's life. He was like two punches away from a mandatory 6 month layoff. 3 from brain damage. This was not a close fight.

Conor Physically looked to be 2 weight classes bigger than floyd a longer reach, and is known for having power in both hands.....

floyd's never been the type to pounce on a ? off the bell...especially when giving up THAT MUCH size.....this ? went exactly how it was supposed to go...

speaks volumes...
    wrvdvdrs8jy8.png