Pros / Cons About Marriage

Options
7figz
7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
Drop a post with a single pro / con about marriage. People need to know this ? .

You don't have to be married to contribute to this ? . You could be dropping a pro of being single that would be a con of being married.

Comments

• 7figz
    Options
    I'll start, of course.

So a dude I know's wife didn't work much at all during the marriage. He worked the entire marriage including having a 401K. He had a crib before the marriage.

They got divorced with no kids.

Apparently the 401K (and any other retirement account) would have been split 50/50 if it went to divorce court. The best damage he could've minimized that to was to only the amount of the retirement accounts that was accumulated during the marriage ... and only in some states would that be possible.

So basically, he would've had to split his retirement account with his ex-wife.

I don't think a lot of people know this based on folks I talked to.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bad for a woman good for a man
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking of way more cons compared to pros. Especially when money and kids are involved.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    Pro:???

Con: a ? can divorce you for no reason kick you out your own home, deny you access to your kids, move her new bf or gf into the crib that you're still paying for, and you have to pay alimony and child support while paying for rent ina one bdrm or studio apt.

Basically what I'm going through right now. ? marriage I'll never do that ? again
    LordZuko wrote: »
    Pro:???

Con: a ? can divorce you for no reason kick you out your own home, deny you access to your kids, move her new bf or gf into the crib that you're still paying for, and you have to pay alimony and child support while paying for rent ina one bdrm or studio apt.

Basically what I'm going through right now. ? marriage I'll never do that ? again

Drop that story b

• 7figz
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I'm getting married in two months and be with my lady for 6 years.

Can't wait. We on the same page and got the same goals.

I know he cons but also know the pros.

Share some pros man, that's what this is about. (Or cons if they haven't been mentioned)
  • Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CON:
    - no more ? variety
    - freedom to do things you want to decreases: it's a group decision now
    - Spontaneity decreases...specially if kids are involved: everything has to be planned carefully

PRO:

- married men live longer and are healthier, both mentally and physically than single men...by a huge factor:

ml0hwios39o6.png
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pro- biggest supporter
    con- i spoil her too much
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    hmmmm

maybe I'll counter some of these cons.

I can think of a ton of cons...but why be married?

I should be able to think of more pros.

I can't lie an say it's been all good.

had tons of fights but now we hardly fight...we talk it all out but we still disagree with raised voices an break up for 30 minutes.

marraige is what you put into it an with who. nothing is 100% an it's no guarantees.

but what in life is? everything is a gamble.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pro - family stability for those who want to procreate. The ills of kids growing out of single parent households or male children without a fatherly figure cannot be over emphasised. Although this isn't the norm in most cases involving kids living in broken homes but a strong family unit is highly beneficial for the development of seeds.

Con - no compatibility with each other. Not being on the same mental plane which leads to divorce and the aftermath being the well known state's legal affinity towards women in a divorce.

Also, and more especially in a man's case the biologically unnatural situation of being tied to a monogamous sexual relationship except you indulge in polygamy (or having side chicks) which is unlawful in most Western nations...
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cons- if she has unhappy. single friends

Thread
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    AZTG wrote: »
    i mean, past the pros and cons, first people should realize marriage aint for everybody.

marriage, just like anything else, has to be done right.

you got a good job and a 401k, and you marrying a ? that doesnt even work? you done ? up from the get go.

marry someone on your level. you a professional making x amount of dollars? marry a chick who is a proffesional and makes money in the same range.

marry someone who believes the same thing you do, you religious? make sure she is too. you family oriented? make sure she is too.

whatever your level of maturity is, make sure the person you are marrying is there too. you more mature then her and yall both bout to get married? you ? up.

you cant find the person to meet this criteria? well ? it, wait till you do. who the ? gets married just to get married?

follow these simple rules and there is a high chance your marriage will be one that works out.

Real facts right here. My homie had the perfect marriage on paper they both make good bread have 2 beautiful lil ones and wife came home one day and said she doesn't believe in marriage anymore SMH blew my mind how that could happen cause they got along great. Point is I believe the mental maturity was off with one of them

true.....could have been seeing or hearing about how much fun the single life is or how people don't have to live by rules an how they givern themselves. get to smash anyone... keep your own money...yadda yadda

those type people never keep it all the way 100. but then say married people don't keep it 100.

all that after a seemly nice life? not that she was unhappy... but she dint believe in it.

that sound like a new ? or feeling left out.