Out w the old Bodega and in w the new, sleek, hipster "Bodega"

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
Startup Bodega’s glorified vending machines are sparking major Twitter backlash

6fms6xap0j3m.jpg

This morning, we published a profile of a startup that created glorified vending machines that can be placed inside apartment buildings, dorms, and gyms.

The concept itself is fairly benign. The problem was that the founders decided to call it Bodega and use a cat–a nod to the bodega cat–as a logo.

59dzlnu7sdr7.jpg

To many readers, this immediately seemed like two Silicon Valley dudes had just appropriated a term beloved to many immigrants, while simultaneously creating a business designed to obliterate these neighborhood corner shops.

ugtczf1y5043.jpg

The ensuing Twitter rage was voluminous and palpable. “Bodega” has been trending on Twitter all day, mostly thanks to people vociferously defending bodegas.

bykvbeouk4lt.png

Jack Dorsey himself says that he’s digging this new “bodega defense Twitter.”

hxnqavg9zmpb.png

There was much thoughtful commentary about why the startup’s name is so offensive. And then, some have done some in-depth analysis about Bodega’s business strategy. This entire chain, from Eater writer Helen Rosner, is worth a read.

89qufb0iuhje.png

A big source of concern was bodega cats. Where will our cuddly neighborhood felines live and nap without the bodega?

But maybe the bodega cats will actually save the bodega?

ES

Comments

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whats dis about mayne
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks to twitter this is brought to my attention...? twitter

? twitter, ? snapchat, ? Instagram

We good Tumblr...and Facebook...u a lil crazy but least I know u crazy, you don't act like u ain't crazy then do some crazy ? .

So when u do crazy ? , I just go

taooxwgbscvo.png
    Awwww Facebook, what am I gonna do wit u?
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,479 Regulator
    Options
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? is a bodega cat. What the ? is a bodega a convenience store privately owned
  • HerbalVaporCapers
    HerbalVaporCapers Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they don't sell loose cigarettes or powder ? they won't have any chance of taking over the bodega market
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We have mom and pop stores here.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how u gonna get a chopped cheese from that
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont believe you guys. how can you have seen the movie half baked and not know what a bodega is?

That's my favorite movie and all I got was NYers call corner stores Bodegas.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you image the hero from that place? Yuck
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What the ? is a bodega cat. What the ? is a bodega a convenience store privately owned

It's basically any corner convenience store in NYC.

(edit) in Detroit we call 'em Party Stores.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You think ? was stealing outta corner stores before lol....
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    An what the ? is a chop chese sandwhich???a cuban sandwich
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who asked for this?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ain't no damn bodega

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    'Bodega' startup forced to apologize after furious criticism of its name

Bodega, a new startup with plans to replace the corner store with eight-foot cabinets full of essentials, went under fire today on social media.

Many users criticized the startup on Twitter, claiming that the name was appropriative and that the company's apparent mission to replace small mom-and-pop businesses was concerning.

Now, in a Medium post titled "So, about our name...", CEO and cofounder Paul McDonald wrote that the social media criticism was "far beyond what we ever imagined."

McDonald also said that there "was a risk" of the name "being interpreted as misappropriation."

He added: "We apologize to anyone we've offended ... We intended only admiration."

Bodegas and corner stores are close to the hearts of many city dwellers, and many people tweeted passionate defenses of them. McDonald says it was never his intention to put local stores out of business.

"Challenging the urban corner store is not and has never been our goal," McDonald wrote. "[They] offer an integral human connection to their patrons that our automated storefronts never will."

Instead, McDonald says that Bodega is designed to put tiny automated stores where there is currently little or no retail offerings, like apartment lobbies, gyms, and college dormitories.

"Like NYC's bodegas, we want to build a shopping experience that stands for convenience and ubiquity for people who don't have easy access to a corner store," he wrote.

The idea is to place interactive pantry boxes full of nonperishable goods in convenient spots so you can just grab and go. An app unlocks the box, and camera sensors see what you take to charge you accordingly.

Both McDonald and his cofounder, Ashwath Rajan, are former Googlers. The startup has raised venture capital from notable investors like Josh Kopelman at First Round Capital, Forerunner Ventures' Kirsten Green, and Homebrew's Hunter Walk. According to a story by TechCrunch, the total amount raised was $2.5 million.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol I wouldn't apologize..? soft
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bodega = Corner store
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man they cant replace the $3 Turkey sandwich we used to get from papis bodega at North 6th street in paterson. Went to many places, and I still havent found a turkey sandwich that good. I still pop in and buy one when im in the area.