When Did Being Smart and Doing Well in School Start to be Considered "White?"

Options

Comments

• Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow I've never seen a black dude reject educated people.ive seen blacks reject people that are seen as having white people habits and interests so to speak.

Like when I was growing up a skateboarder in the ghetto was asking to get smacked in the face.lol..

I mean it's wrong but so be it.you think crackers don't shun wiggers..

• Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Options
    As a teacher I see black kids reject education all the time. A teacher will be like "open your books" and kids will suck their teeth and get attitudes, and sometimes they will just act a fool to the point it's impossible to teach.

They've never said it was a "white" thing to do, but the subtext of their behavior is there.
  • KrazySpade
    KrazySpade Members Posts: 52
    Options
    i think people dont want to see other people doing better then they are doing themselves, so the "cool" kids who are too lazy to do school work will indirectly clown on the other kids who will do their work. then it just depends if the kid will give in to the peer pressure to try to fit in, or if they wont care what they say and continue to do their school thing.

unfortunately i think most kids will take the negative route just because its easier and more appealing at the moment. but some kids do see the big picture in the long term.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait, I feel as if some of you who agree with T/S also said that you do not need a degree in the other thread
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a whole, Americans do not like education. I think people tend to think those who have intellectual interests must live in an ivory tower and think they are better than those and sometimes intellectuals tend to have an ego, but it's not like anyone else, they are proud of their achievements and merely want to talk about something that they are interested in.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    ... Btw what's the problem with these young leaders trying to be in the entertainment business? Being a rapper is similar to being a businessman.
    the difference is someone who studies business is more likely to have a solid career and a stable future. it's better to encourage kids to study for non-entertainment careers.

not an indictment of anyone who really wants to make it happen, but some realism is always nice

High risk, high reward, low risk, low reward. Let those kids live out their dreams. Doing the whole 9 to 5 ? as a black person doesn't work out to well due to racism, politics etc. For the majority of black people, their peak is a low 6-figure salary, which is wack as ? ! Not to mention, you usually don't get promoted to that level until you have 15, 20 years experience SMH.

The only way you can really make real money is if you start your own ? in which the easiest path is usually the entertainment business.

Also, you can ALWAYS fall back on that wackass 9 to 5 life, so it makes sense to try to live out your dreams first and foremost.

what world you live in?

its not a myth, especially for black males, when we do well in school its seen as "acting white" or "not really being black" or the fact that we get good grades is seen as a surprise to some. maybe you were fortunate enough to be in a situation where you never experienced this

The real world. That ? is a myth dun. No one I know has EVER experienced that ? .

Your limited experiences isn't the "real world".
  • Drgoo0285
    Drgoo0285 Members Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    As a whole, Americans do not like education. I think people tend to think those who have intellectual interests must live in an ivory tower and think they are better than those and sometimes intellectuals tend to have an ego, but it's not like anyone else, they are proud of their achievements and merely want to talk about something that they are interested in.
    This for sure.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    High risk, high reward, low risk, low reward. Let those kids live out their dreams. Doing the whole 9 to 5 ? as a black person doesn't work out to well due to racism, politics etc. For the majority of black people, their peak is a low 6-figure salary, which is wack as ? ! Not to mention, you usually don't get promoted to that level until you have 15, 20 years experience SMH.
    i don't know why we're turning up our noses at "low 6-figure salary." what the hell

look, but while i AM saying, yeah, it's cool for kids to chase their dreams, there's simultaneously nothing wrong with pointing out odds/facts/whatever. no one is saying "don't chase a dream." i think what's being said is "there's no reason to knock studying hard, doing well in school, and aiming for a stable career."

it's a lot easier to "fall back on that wackass 9 to 5 life" if you have SOMETHING to show for your formative years beyond just debt from trying to make that dream happen.
  • joeLiber
    joeLiber Members Posts: 93
    Options
    Thomas Sowell's Black Rednecks & White Liberals covers this a little bit if anyone is interested in reading more about it
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw it all the time in my high school..Kanye Shrugs
  • offbeatbop
    offbeatbop Members Posts: 2
    Options
    The same time that people with no depth began using a ghetto persona as a crutch to mask their stupidity and lack of any real substance. Approximatelyyyyyy 19......always?
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    ? in a barrel. Ignant ? be openly resentful of the fact that there is more to the world than the tiny poor-ass hood they will never leave and die in. Act in a matter that doesn't "fit in" to the horrible environment and you are subtly reminding them of their own closed minded intellectual inferiority, so they lash out.

The worst part is, these fools really do believe they're destined for great success as a baller or rapper and some dude studying to be a surgeon or lawyer will be broke as a joke.

Just another form of that mental slavery Mr. Shabazz liked to talk about....
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joeLiber wrote: »
    Thomas Sowell's Black Rednecks & White Liberals covers this a little bit if anyone is interested in reading more about it

Read and it does really show why acting ignorant isn't acting black.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When did not being at the top of your class mean that you don't deserve to be treated with respect and have no potential to succeed? It can go both ways. Why is being smart automatically considered not acting ignorant. Intelligence and ignorance aren't mutually exclusive. You can do dumb ? when comparing the potential negative outcomes but be book smart. Or, you can be bad at certain things but work harder then the next person and end up being more successful because you put greater effort in. You know, the turtle and the hair allegory.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only time I heard it was from stupid ? who was bout to drop out anyway. It was rare.
    Most people got respect.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since when is "White" synonomous to intelligence? descendants of the Caveman? nah ?
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    You know, the turtle and the hair allegory.

LoL @ bolded. Dude, the tortoise didn't race against

full_liz_agar4.jpg

he won the race against:

abyssinianhare.jpg?w=390&h=270
  • Undefeatable
    Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    bambu wrote: »
    Good question.......

A lot of folks will say rap/gangster rap.......

Others will say Black Liberation.........

But, I think the answer is that it was always here in America..............

A part of the institution of slavery........

I don't agree on gangsta rap or Black liberation as "turning points". As anti-intellectual as people made gangsta rap out to be, Ice Cube was the product of two professors who taught at UCLA. Big Syke and other Outlawz often talk about their appreciation for 2Pac's intelligence and how he got them interested in history and learning. Huey Newton, Angela Davis, Fred Hampton, and freedom fighters in the Black liberation movement were all intellectuals who constantly read and absorbed info and that's why they compelled people to radical action. I think that the Black community has always appreciated knowledge and learning--I just don't think we might not like the pretension that comes along with it.

Where did you get this garbage about Ice Cube? Gangsta rap was indeed anti-intellectual. What you've saying doesn't prove anything.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Big Syke and other Outlawz often talk about their appreciation for 2Pac's intelligence and how he got them interested in history and learning.
    wait, what was the actual positive outcome of this, because all i recall is a bunch of ? Outlawz records

• Jabu_Rule
    edited July 2013
    Options
    You know, the turtle and the hair allegory.

LoL @ bolded. Dude, the tortoise didn't race against

full_liz_agar4.jpg

he won the race against:

abyssinianhare.jpg?w=390&h=270

Ask me when was the last time i typed Hare instead of Rabbit. You're proving my point though, you could just correct me instead of pointing figures and laughing. That would go far in helping those whom aren't as quick, or made a simple error, and decrease animosity. People can't be upset that they are being assaulted because they are intelligent when they use their intelligence to insult others.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question.......

I don't agree on gangsta rap or Black liberation as "turning points". As anti-intellectual as people made gangsta rap out to be, Ice Cube was the product of two professors who taught at UCLA. Big Syke and other Outlawz often talk about their appreciation for 2Pac's intelligence and how he got them interested in history and learning. Huey Newton, Angela Davis, Fred Hampton, and freedom fighters in the Black liberation movement were all intellectuals who constantly read and absorbed info and that's why they compelled people to radical action. I think that the Black community has always appreciated knowledge and learning--I just don't think we might not like the pretension that comes along with it.

Where did you get this garbage about Ice Cube? Gangsta rap was indeed anti-intellectual. What you've saying doesn't prove anything.

Not all gangsta rap is anti-intellectual. The old Jay-Z records were gangsta rap but far from anti-intellectual. Same for many of 2pac's old records. Listen to Wu-Tang Forever and you will see the error of your post. No diss.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    Good question.......

Not all gangsta rap is anti-intellectual. The old Jay-Z records were gangsta rap but far from anti-intellectual. Same for many of 2pac's old records. Listen to Wu-Tang Forever and you will see the error of your post. No diss.

The best Gangstas are often the smartest which is why Jay Z is so successful. Most just become too confident in their singular intelligence and set themselves up for a fall.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    With the exception of Malcolm, every major African American leader of the 20th Century was either graduated college, had post graduate degrees, or they held doctorates. W.E.B. Du Bois, George Washignton Craver, Booker T. Washington, Ralph Baunche, Dr. King, Jessie Jackson, and Huey Newton, and of course Thurgood Marshall, all of these men were not only academics and intellectuals, they're heroes to black people. My question is when did we start to associate pursuing scholarly endeavors, showing, participating, and most importantly EXCELLING in school with something that only whites did?

I think that I agree with Paul Hate. I might agree that "talking well" and with enunciation is widely considered to be "white" or "boogie," but I don't agree that being smart and doing well in school is widely considered to be "white." Regardless of race, I think that doing well in school is logically considered to be a good thing by nearly all parents and adults, especially immigrants, including black immigrants. It's the young bul around the way that doesn't care about or appreciate the value of education. Sometimes, he can't really can't be blamed for thinking that way though. Either way, he'll most likely end up regretting it when he gets older.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question.......

The best Gangstas are often the smartest which is why Jay Z is so successful. Most just become too confident in their singular intelligence and set themselves up for a fall.

Jay Z is a gangsta? If there's a few words that define Jay Z, one would definitely be "hustler." A lot street savvy guys are as every bit as proficient and ruthless as your typical big-time CEO executive. They just decided to do business in the illegal sector. It's been said that people like Jeff Fort and Larry Hoover were very smart and could've done a lot of positive if they hadn't had resorted to crime and instead worked on more progressive endeavors.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't seen pursuing education making people associate a black person with whiteness. In my experience when I saw blacks chastise others for trying to be white it was when some blacks decided to change the tones of their voices to be more nasal sounding, change their views to side with the viewpoints of biased white scholars that blacks were familiar with hearing, using white slang and name brand clothing and styles to show to other blacks who they were attempting to identify with. Ironically, these types often took on the role of also trying very hard to prove they were better than "other" blacks by striving very hard to validate their views validity through achievements in education and money; therefore assuming the same superiority complex of their white counterparts.