After Being Stared Down by a Couple in ? Barrel, This Dad Received a Note About Parenting

Options

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Dad-Receives-Note-From-Strangers-After-Breakfast-Son-42305417

When Kevon Smith Sr. sat down for breakfast at ? Barrel with his son Kevon Jr. in Willoughby, OH, he had no idea he was going to make headlines just for being a good dad.

Kevon noticed a couple staring and smiling at him and his 3-month-old son, and although he was confused, he just went on with the meal. "I noticed this older couple over in the corner," he said. "They kept smiling at me and I was looking at my son like, 'What is going on?'"

But when Kevon left the restaurant, it all made sense, as he saw a note on his car from the couple praising his parenting along with cash to cover his breakfast.

"Today your meal is on my wife and me," it read. "Enjoy that baby as long as ? intends. Keep doing what you're doing. The Masons."

These strangers were so amazed by Kevon and his relationship with his son, and he was just as moved by their generosity. "There's a lot of guys I know that aren't taking care of their kids," Kevon Sr. said, adding that he'll absolutely share the story with his son when he gets older to teach him that a little kindness can go a long way.

"I'm definitely going to make sure I'm paying it forward," he said. "I get blessed. I want to bless someone else."

Cool story. He could have kept that other ? to himself though.

Disagree. Parenting is something we have total control of, and could have a huge impact on our current and future generation directly. I have zero sympathy for any man who is embarrassed by this story, in fact, guys who don't parent their kids aren't men in my eyes to begin with. That goes for mothers too who play ? games keeping men from seeing their kids.

So, you agree that it is ok to be ? a ? by mentioning other fathers who aren't taking care of their kids while being given accolades for taking care of yours?

A simple thank you , and a show of appreciation would have sufficed. Mentioning other men who the public doesn't know is, fuccc ? behavior. More importantly the ? could be lying. He out here trying to grab more points like the ? he is doing is above average because, he knows alot of guys who aren't taking care of their children. I'm not rocking with that.

Lastly this ? flexing like he doing something. His sun is 3 months old. Holler at us if your azz is still around and seeing him off to college.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh, the ? y'all talking about is prolly the thing that annoys me most in life. I be in meetings at my son's school and they be acting like I ain't even there. They only EVER address his mother. I've had to make it comfortable for a couple people there to get them to understand that when I'm present - which is always - you need to address me as this kid's parent as much as you do his mom and give me the same attention and detailed information you would give her.

? don't even stop there. Imagine sitting in the recovery room right after your kid had surgery and the doctor is giving after-care instructions and ? and not acknowledging your presence at all. I usually will nip that ? in the bud after a certain amount of time, but I was so ? pff while simultaneously trying to pay attention to every word he said to even address it. My ex had to be like 'Yeah, the kid is going to be with dad this week so you should prolly let him in on this party, too.'.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    its crazy what you ? attach to and promote or clown

yall saying this man shouldnt be thanked because thats his job.....but

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/544675/father-surprises-his-17-year-old-daughter-after-spending-9-years-in-prison/p1

^^^^^
    yall ? was all in feelings in that thread tho.

remember....just be happy of the girl or the moment

all these fatherless or misguided people but we should overlook someone spending time with his child
    i guess only i see a bigger picture and how full of ? some people are

Those situations aren't even comparable tho....lol

are you serious.......

you completely missed the point and they have more in common than you think

Help me understand what i missed...

Because IMO, the story in this thread isnt newsworthy. The white couple only did whag they did because they bought in to the stereotype that black men dont raise their children. Had the brother been white, it would have never happened.

The story about the father suprising his daughter getting out of jail would still play on people's emotions even if they were white.

What point are you trying to make?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    people were in the feels because they were reunited..

i saw a dog cry once when a ? came home from the war......? made everybody get in their feels
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Bruh, the ? y'all talking about is prolly the thing that annoys me most in life. I be in meetings at my son's school and they be acting like I ain't even there. They only EVER address his mother. I've had to make it comfortable for a couple people there to get them to understand that when I'm present - which is always - you need to address me as this kid's parent as much as you do his mom and give me the same attention and detailed information you would give her.

? don't even stop there. Imagine sitting in the recovery room right after your kid had surgery and the doctor is giving after-care instructions and ? and not acknowledging your presence at all. I usually will nip that ? in the bud after a certain amount of time, but I was so ? pff while simultaneously trying to pay attention to every word he said to even address it. My ex had to be like 'Yeah, the kid is going to be with dad this week so you should prolly let him in on this party, too.'.

we be switching it up on those people....

my son be in those white schools, around all those white teachers, and they be thinking they just gonna deal with my half-white wife...

nope....discipline problems....call that ? mean ass daddy of his......i'm more accessible during the day than she is.....
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Dad-Receives-Note-From-Strangers-After-Breakfast-Son-42305417

When Kevon Smith Sr. sat down for breakfast at ? Barrel with his son Kevon Jr. in Willoughby, OH, he had no idea he was going to make headlines just for being a good dad.

Kevon noticed a couple staring and smiling at him and his 3-month-old son, and although he was confused, he just went on with the meal. "I noticed this older couple over in the corner," he said. "They kept smiling at me and I was looking at my son like, 'What is going on?'"

But when Kevon left the restaurant, it all made sense, as he saw a note on his car from the couple praising his parenting along with cash to cover his breakfast.

"Today your meal is on my wife and me," it read. "Enjoy that baby as long as ? intends. Keep doing what you're doing. The Masons."

These strangers were so amazed by Kevon and his relationship with his son, and he was just as moved by their generosity. "There's a lot of guys I know that aren't taking care of their kids," Kevon Sr. said, adding that he'll absolutely share the story with his son when he gets older to teach him that a little kindness can go a long way.

"I'm definitely going to make sure I'm paying it forward," he said. "I get blessed. I want to bless someone else."

Disagree. Parenting is something we have total control of, and could have a huge impact on our current and future generation directly. I have zero sympathy for any man who is embarrassed by this story, in fact, guys who don't parent their kids aren't men in my eyes to begin with. That goes for mothers too who play ? games keeping men from seeing their kids.

So, you agree that it is ok to be ? a ? by mentioning other fathers who aren't taking care of their kids while being given accolades for taking care of yours?

A simple thank you , and a show of appreciation would have sufficed. Mentioning other men who the public doesn't know is, fuccc ? behavior. More importantly the ? could be lying. He out here trying to grab more points like the ? he is doing is above average because, he knows alot of guys who aren't taking care of their children. I'm not rocking with that.

Lastly this ? flexing like he doing something. His sun is 3 months old. Holler at us if your azz is still around and seeing him off to college.

do you think he could be possibly talking about his own father....and throwing a shot at him because of how it made him feel as a kid to not have a father...

just saying sometimes it aint about everyone else....thats what they take onto themselves as his statement made people feel like hes speaking for all deadbeats....

even if he was....thats his place an right.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited August 2016
    Options
    our community is fukked up....why is it that way.....its not all police and fukked up womens fault...

alot of dads and men are or were absent.
  • mryounggun
    Options

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/544675/father-surprises-his-17-year-old-daughter-after-spending-9-years-in-prison/p1

^^^^^

remember....just be happy of the girl or the moment

all these fatherless or misguided people but we should overlook someone spending time with his child

Those situations aren't even comparable tho....lol

are you serious.......

you completely missed the point and they have more in common than you think

Help me understand what i missed...

Because IMO, the story in this thread isnt newsworthy. The white couple only did whag they did because they bought in to the stereotype that black men dont raise their children. Had the brother been white, it would have never happened.

The story about the father suprising his daughter getting out of jail would still play on people's emotions even if they were white.

What point are you trying to make?

Obviously the stereotype about the absentee black father exists. You're right about that ? . But the way that father in general is minimized in this country is crazy. I could DEFINITELY see this happening if all parties involved were white.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    i think we're all missing the obvious question here....

wtf was homeboy doing in a ? barrel in the first place?

? Barrel is delicious bruh....

AND they have good turkey bacon.

Matter of fact

? Barrel >>> IHOP & Waffle House

Fight me

otis-the-security-guard-martin-o.gif

That hash brown casserole or whatever its called good as ? though!
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    our community is fukked up....why is it that way.....its not all police and fukked up womens fault...

Maybe the mother kept those fathers away from their kids as you always suggest? How he know the reason why those other men are not in their kids lives?
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    condescending

think think they're superior to us, so they congratulate us for doing basic things they do daily....like it took extreme effort and dedication and accomplishing obstacles to take my kid to get something to eat.........

? we was ? hungry....? them and their privilege
    This sums it up. Shame the father didn't realize that. They stereotyped blacks and be was oblivious.

people really gotta stop buying into this stigma that we're not capable of anything other than what the stereotypes would have us believe.....like anything contrary to white popular belief is somehow going against the odds..

motherfukers congratulating me for feeding my child in a restaurant?

? seriously?

I agree but I have had this happen to me. By Black folks and others. I too have found myself smiling and appreciating seeing brothers and sisters out and about doing things with their children. So, I don't think it's always a case of us being stereotyped.

I think the father stereotyped Black men by randomly mentioning "guys who don't take care of their kids". That's some fucc ? .

Honestly though. Who are these dudes rolling with? I don't know a large number of Black men that aren't taking care of their children. We may not all do it on the same scale, frequency, consistency or by the same methodology but just not doing at all. I cannot say I know anyone like that.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    condescending

they think they're superior to us, so they congratulate us for doing basic things they do daily....like it took extreme effort and dedication and accomplishing obstacles to take my kid to get something to eat.........

? we was ? hungry....? them and their privilege

Nah man, it ain't even just white people. Black people do the same ? . I can't tell you how many times I've been walking with my daughter and had some old black woman come up to me saying ? like "Ahh that's nice that you spend time with your daughter. Keep it up."

Like people really buy into this fairy tale that black men don't give a ? about their kids. The crazy thing is there are two parks in my area that I take my kids too and at both of them, the majority of the time you'll see the fathers running around with the kids. The mothers that are there are usually sitting on the benches running their mouths. But let the world tell it black men aren't engaged at all.

word, my son acted a damn ass in school yesterday and i went ham on his ass when i picked him up yesterday,

i apologized to my wife's grandmom, but i had just gotten off the phone cuz with the teacher and was a little ? ....and i didn't speak when i first walked in i went straight into parenting mode.....

she's all like

"oh it's all right...we just glad he has a father in his life"
    Westbrook.gif

Hell nah, your grandmom-in-law was wrong for that ? . lol
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would've been offended
  • mryounggun
    Options

my son be in those white schools, around all those white teachers, and they be thinking they just gonna deal with my half-white wife...

nope....discipline problems....call that ? mean ass daddy of his......i'm more accessible during the day than she is.....

And that's fine, for us to be extremely involved and present and shirk their expectations. Cool. Dandy. But once I'm actually present in a meeting, etc, what is the excuse then, ya know? Didn't expect a father to show up for whatever reason and he does? That's one thing. But then when he DOES show up for everything and your instinct is STILL to only address mom, that's a bigger slap in the face.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Maybe the mother kept those fathers away from their kids as you always suggest? How he know the reason why those other men are not in their kids lives?

more of a reason to be thankful a man aint going thru it, nipped it in the bud, choose a good woman, or did what he had to not to be stressed out while sitting in ? barrel.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

do you think he could be possibly talking about his own father....and throwing a shot at him because of how it made him feel as a kid to not have a father...

just saying sometimes it aint about everyone else....thats what they take onto themselves as his statement made people feel like hes speaking for all deadbeats....

Stop it family.

If, it was a shot at his dad he could have so. He didn't. "He said, he knows a lot of guys". His dad is one person. ? was grabbing for more points. FOH.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

more of a reason to be thankful a man aint going thru it, nipped it in the bud, choose a good woman, or did what he had to not to be stressed out while sitting in ? barrel.

His son his 3months. Baby moms aint even got all her stitches out or back to work. ? better holler on Graduation day. Until then he should keep his trap shut and keep doing for his lil man.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    He aint even have to pay for the little tyke. Lil dude still on breast milk. ? basically dined by himself.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Stop it family.

If, it was a shot at his dad he could have so. He didn't. "He said, he knows a lot of guys". His dad is one person. ? was grabbing for more points. FOH.

father...
    male family members whatever...

the point is.....we dont know why he said it....an he has his reasons...

so now....we all know perfect black families now...all stand up males..
    fukk that....? aint keeping it 100

you problaby one of them dudes who dont want acknowledgment on fathers day cuz thats your job but want to be promoted for doing a good job at work while mad ? who dont do ? still have a job.

whatever bruh....you stand on the statement, i stand by the father and all black father an encourage
  • mryounggun
    Options
    @2stepz_ahead Naw it's definitely a bunch of ? ? out there not taking care of their kids. But personally, I can't even be friends with a ? who ain't taking care of his kid(s). There ain't really no excuse for the ? , in my book.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

And that's fine, for us to be extremely involved and present and shirk their expectations. Cool. Dandy. But once I'm actually present in a meeting, etc, what is the excuse then, ya know? Didn't expect a father to show up for whatever reason and he does? That's one thing. But then when he DOES show up for everything and your instinct is STILL to only address mom, that's a bigger slap in the face.

man i hated that ? .....

those schools try to act like you just showing up to be present and should have no input or you have no idea what going on....? used to burn me up.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So wait, these people peeped dude from the parking lot hopping out his whip?

How they know he the papi ...... could've been baby sitting or kidnapping (stranger things have happened) ....... come on, y'all know dayum well nosey ass cac would have rolled up on dude with a thousand questions and probably would have touched the kids hair and would have said some dumb ? like "let us take care of your bill because we don't think they take ebt here"
    Smiling the whole time.

Instead of telling their server to cover his bill, they put money on his car ?

I like feel good stories but I don't like the smell of ?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    @2stepz_ahead Naw it's definitely a bunch of ? ? out there not taking care of their kids. But personally, I can't even be friends with a ? who ain't taking care of his kid(s). There ain't really no excuse for the ? , in my book.

very true......i try not to judge sometimes because i understand it from most points....

as your kid gets older...watch how alot of their freinds drift to you if they dont have a dad in they life....man that ? be sad.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    He aint even have to pay for the little tyke. Lil dude still on breast milk. ? basically dined by himself.

ok....now i see you trolling...
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

^^^^^

remember....just be happy of the girl or the moment.

we celebrate a man coming out of jail and thats a happy moment but a man with his child in ? barrel is overlooked..

make that make sense

The reason why the guy in this thread is being condescendingly commended for being a father and in turn condescendingly derides other black men is due to the false narrative that black men don't raise their children. The irony of you bringing that other video up as a comparison is that the reason that stereotype exists is due to these devils systematically locking up young black males for ridiculous amounts of time over trumped up drug charges or just straight-up ? .