Denzel Washington: Don't Blame The Prison System, 'It Starts At The Home'

Options

Comments

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    It's almost crazy that people honestly believe that. Ask yourself why the Black community is lacking in father figures. Then take a look at the war on drugs and see how that plays in. It's a fact from declassified documents to Nixon own aid stating drugs were purposely allowed into the Black and Hippie community to weaken them and raise funds for illegitimate wars.

That may apply 50 years ago but we have progressed, information has been dispersed and opportunities are prevalent here in 2017. That’s the thing that really ? irks me when it comes to black progression. EXCUSES. All of those pitfalls aren’t in place anymore or at least not as many. Mfs are consciously making a choice to be ain’t ? nihgas nowadays. ? game been fizzled out, gang banging is a joke and heroin has shifted over to a majority white problem. There is no outright oppression. Is the black community in a perfect place? No. ? isn’t even about race anymore. It’s about money, drive and personal accountability. ? spinning their gears worried about white oppression while there are black men and women paying that ? no mind and achieving their dreams. And guess what? They’re from all types of homes. Blacks in college are higher than ever, black business is beginning to flourish, I can go on speaking on progress. The same progress threads like this one and every other “black vs everybody” ignores. Mfs are so stuck on the past, they don’t realize they missing out on black revival. Too busy fighting an enemy that’s struggling to survive its damn self (white supremacy).

Let that ? go along with the excuses. ? will phase themselves out and what’s left will be real black pride, black love and black power.

Are you saying ignoring racism means it wont affect you ?
  • twenty2
    twenty2 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Options
    jetlifebih wrote: »
    Are we in agreement that our condition today is directly caused by being human trafficked from Africa to the states???

If you knock over a tall glass of milk in my house , I’ll clean it because it’s my house, and i won’t let you forget that you knocked the glass over

But if you kidnap me, take me to your house,lock me in a small ass room, knock over a glass of milk and tell me to clean it up, ima look at you like you crazy ? ...? is you talkin bout...

So... If you in that small ass room with the spilled milk...and you got yo wife in there with you...and y'all just tryin to survive in that small ass room...and the milk starts to curd and stink and mold...and then y'all have a child...while still in that small ass room...and let's say you absolutely CAN'T get out of that small ass room...and that curded, stinking, rotten milk is still in there...and by now you've figured out that the muthafucka that kidnapped you has no intention of coming back to clean up the milk........Will you allow your kid to roll around and play in it?
  • Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    It's almost crazy that people honestly believe that. Ask yourself why the Black community is lacking in father figures. Then take a look at the war on drugs and see how that plays in. It's a fact from declassified documents to Nixon own aid stating drugs were purposely allowed into the Black and Hippie community to weaken them and raise funds for illegitimate wars.

That may apply 50 years ago but we have progressed, information has been dispersed and opportunities are prevalent here in 2017. That’s the thing that really ? irks me when it comes to black progression. EXCUSES. All of those pitfalls aren’t in place anymore or at least not as many. Mfs are consciously making a choice to be ain’t ? nihgas nowadays. ? game been fizzled out, gang banging is a joke and heroin has shifted over to a majority white problem. There is no outright oppression. Is the black community in a perfect place? No. ? isn’t even about race anymore. It’s about money, drive and personal accountability. ? spinning their gears worried about white oppression while there are black men and women paying that ? no mind and achieving their dreams. And guess what? They’re from all types of homes. Blacks in college are higher than ever, black business is beginning to flourish, I can go on speaking on progress. The same progress threads like this one and every other “black vs everybody” ignores. Mfs are so stuck on the past, they don’t realize they missing out on black revival. Too busy fighting an enemy that’s struggling to survive its damn self (white supremacy).

Let that ? go along with the excuses. ? will phase themselves out and what’s left will be real black pride, black love and black power.

If that’s what you got from what I said then so be it chief
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    accountability is rare currency across the board..

from how people conduct themselves in relationships(all of them)

pitfalls do to their choices
    or even trivial ? ...

This is considered ? talk sir

By who, and how so ?

I doubt any normal person on here would call being accountable "? ? ", but generalizing Black people as being unaccountable - yeah ? ? . Or acting like systematic racism has no part in it or downplaying it - yeah ? ? .

No one said that though.

Didnt say you did bruh. It wasn't necessarily directed to you. I was explaining the context of MFs saying some ? is ? ? . It's not just when a MF says somebody should be accountable - MFs be sayin some extra ? .

Who said it in here though... everything aint ? ? because you have a point of disagreement to it.. ? have away of redefining ? ...
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Your clearly out of touch with the culture....

Drug culture has shifted to pills and if you think for one second ? ain’t poppin pills and sippin syrup and that it’s a white problem, you need to turn the tv and talk to some millennials....

I don’t know why y’all are calling these FACTS excuses....and y’all keep bringing up these bourgeois negros who appear to be doing well...the FACT is that there is no black middle class and the majority or average african American is worth -1400$ without the value of their car....let that sink in.....these people you think are flourishing....aren’t....black people own 2% of this countries wealth lol where are the black you are talking about??? You talking about 2%???? Y’all so focused on getting your own ? you forgetting that the family is hurting....who cares that 2% of black people are doing good when 98% is doing bad??? Only a ? worried about himself and nobody else...
  • Rozetta5tone
    Options

Drug culture has shifted to pills and if you think for one second ? ain’t poppin pills and sippin syrup and that it’s a white problem, you need to turn the tv and talk to some millennials....

I don’t know why y’all are calling these FACTS excuses....and y’all keep bringing up these bourgeois negros who appear to be doing well...the FACT is that there is no black middle class and the majority or average african American is worth -1400$ without the value of their car....let that sink in.....these people you think are flourishing....aren’t....black people own 2% of this countries wealth lol where are the black you are talking about??? You talking about 2%???? Y’all so focused on getting your own ? you forgetting that the family is hurting....who cares that 2% of black people are doing good when 98% is doing bad??? Only a ? worried about himself and nobody else...

Lmao 98% are doing bad? Pills? Lmao ? please

You sound mad just to be mad. Your numbers are flawed bruh. Take a train ride out the hood for a day. Do something constructive this weekend bruh.

98% of black ppl are doing bad lmao. That’s my joke of the day. Jet life got you jet lagged lmao
  • 7figz
    Options

or even trivial ? ...

By who, and how so ?

I doubt any normal person on here would call being accountable "? ? ", but generalizing Black people as being unaccountable - yeah ? ? . Or acting like systematic racism has no part in it or downplaying it - yeah ? ? .

No one said that though.

Didnt say you did bruh. It wasn't necessarily directed to you. I was explaining the context of MFs saying some ? is ? ? . It's not just when a MF says somebody should be accountable - MFs be sayin some extra ? .

Who said it in here though... everything aint ? ? because you have a point of disagreement to it.. ? have away of redefining ? ...

Bruh... ask Cain who said what he bolded was considered ? talk.

See my point ?
  • 7figz
    Options

What I gotta do - bold the ? you said that sounds like that ?
    ? spinning their gears worried about white oppression while there are black men and women paying that ? no mind and achieving their dreams

Why the ? MFs can't do both ? Mfs cant be knowledgeable of white oppression and still achieve ? ?

To achieve ? , you can't call out the systematic racism going on.?
  • Rozetta5tone
    Options

What I gotta do - bold the ? you said that sounds like that ?
    ? spinning their gears worried about white oppression while there are black men and women paying that ? no mind and achieving their dreams

Why the ? MFs can't do both ? Mfs cant be knowledgeable of white oppression and still achieve ? ?

To achieve ? , you can't call out the systematic racism going on.?
    Ok
  • playmaker88
    Options
    @jelanicobb is actually talking about this now on twitter
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options

or even trivial ? ...

By who, and how so ?

No one said that though.

See my point ?

I said what I said.

We are quick to throw ALL our issues on racism. Yet when it's time to do the proverbial "man in the mirror" test it's no one wanting to take accountability. If YOU out here selling drugs and getting caught it's YOUR fault nobody else to blame. If it started at home instilling in our youth financial empowerment, education and self pride a lot of our issues would not be as bad

Yet saying WE need to take accountability ? fatherless feelings get hurt.

If we talking about self-accountability, lets talk to the MFs in here right now.

Anybody in here dealing drugs and blaming it on racism ?

And if you think racism has nothing to do with the drug problem, there's plenty of research to the contrary.

And as far as the "WE" ? , how you gonna expect somebody to be accountable for somebody else's action. You need to be talkin to the MFs doing that ? and saying that ? to say they need to take accountability.
  • jetlifebih
    Options

Lmao 98% are doing bad? Pills? Lmao ? please

You sound mad just to be mad. Your numbers are flawed bruh. Take a train ride out the hood for a day. Do something constructive this weekend bruh.

98% of black ppl are doing bad lmao. That’s my joke of the day. Jet life got you jet lagged lmao

yo go check the scoreboard bruh....stats don’t lie....over 50% of Americans in general don’t have any savings at all....again don’t let credit and the illusion fool you my guy, more people live check to check than not....that’s a fact.....i don’t need to ride through the hood, i live in south side Richmond, go check the numbers for yourself my g
  • jetlifebih
    Options
    twenty2 wrote: »
    Are we in agreement that our condition today is directly caused by being human trafficked from Africa to the states???

If you knock over a tall glass of milk in my house , I’ll clean it because it’s my house, and i won’t let you forget that you knocked the glass over

But if you kidnap me, take me to your house,lock me in a small ass room, knock over a glass of milk and tell me to clean it up, ima look at you like you crazy ? ...? is you talkin bout...

So... If you in that small ass room with the spilled milk...and you got yo wife in there with you...and y'all just tryin to survive in that small ass room...and the milk starts to curd and stink and mold...and then y'all have a child...while still in that small ass room...and let's say you absolutely CAN'T get out of that small ass room...and that curded, stinking, rotten milk is still in there...and by now you've figured out that the muthafucka that kidnapped you has no intention of coming back to clean up the milk........Will you allow your kid to roll around and play in it?

My child literally has no choice but to play in it....or not play at all, and that’s the dilemma a lot of black parents face....what do i do?? Do i let my son play in spoiled milk...at least he can play, or do i deny him the right to play

• babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    98% of African Americans aren't doing bad. That's straight made up garbage.
  • 7figz
    Options

or even trivial ? ...

By who, and how so ?

No one said that though.

See my point ?

I said what I said.

We are quick to throw ALL our issues on racism. Yet when it's time to do the proverbial "man in the mirror" test it's no one wanting to take accountability. If YOU out here selling drugs and getting caught it's YOUR fault nobody else to blame. If it started at home instilling in our youth financial empowerment, education and self pride a lot of our issues would not be as bad

Yet saying WE need to take accountability ? fatherless feelings get hurt.

If we talking about self-accountability, lets talk to the MFs in here right now.

Anybody in here dealing drugs and blaming it on racism ?

And if you think racism has nothing to do with the drug problem, there's plenty of research to the contrary.

And as far as the "WE" ? , how you gonna expect somebody to be accountable for somebody else's action. You need to be talkin to the MFs doing that ? and saying that ? to say they need to take accountability.

Somebody's else action? ? Denzel is talking about the issues in our community and ? in here are saying but but but what about racism. That's like a cracka saying what about black on black crime

Because racism has something to do with prison.

Right / wrong ?

There's a difference between pointing out racism and saying "I'm not responsible for my actions".
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options
    And @Cain, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we can't talk about issues in the Black community but you can't see how one-sided the quote presented from Denzel is ?

So now we gonna act like prison exists in a vacuum ? And there ain't no traps to lock people up.
  • sideon1984
    sideon1984 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Options
    He's saying don't make it easy for a system that already targets us, if he had said this in response to police planting drugs then he would be out of line.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    More than one thing can exist at the same time. racism is ever-present, people making willful decisions can put them in a never ending cycle of fuckery... you can also have situations where people just find themselves in the the wrong place at the wrong time. There are so many different variable and you can still get caught up.. But again there are choices that one can make.. that have two roads.. one straight clear path off a cliff.... and another long winding road
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And @Cain, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we can't talk about issues in the Black community but you can't see how one-sided the quote presented from Denzel is ?

So now we gonna act like prison exists in a vacuum ? And there ain't no traps to lock people up.

Read his quote. He said that we're making easy for them. He never said that white supremacy never existed or that prison system isn't set up to get you locked down.

Let it go

These dudes in here can’t understand a basic sentence right now
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Another major problem with the Black community are ? who want to be leaders but aren't as smart as they believe themselves to be.

I'm just going to address the bold since that's the only part that does matter and I'm going to do it through straight facts so you can see how stupid and generally uninformed you sound.

1971 Nixon declares the War on Drug. Although a major emphasis is put on rehabilitation in actually it is ignored for incarceration.

In 1979 the Prison-Industries Act of 1979 is passed legalized the transportation of prison-made goods across state lines which before was illegal. A huge win for the prison industrial system that shows prison could be a viable business in itself.

1985 Iran–Contra affair begins. Reagen authorizes the sale of missiles to Iran to pay for money to the Contras who were trying to overthrow the Nicaugra government. Contrast were mass murderers but more specifically major players in Coke. Coke that the CIA moved in order to raise funds. Using people such as freeway Ricky.

Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986 is passed which requires mandatory minimum for drug use. This act mandated a minimum sentence of 5 years without parole for possession of 5 grams of ? ? while it mandated the same for possession of 500 grams of powder ? . In most cases we know Blacks were getting sentenced to 20 years.

1994 the three strike law is enacted. Though it's suppose to apply only to the most violent felons instead it's used to entrap small time smokers and dealers. At the same time over 1.5 million people are in the prison system majority being black. By now America houses an astounding 22% of the world prison population.

This is all 100% facts and it's not even getting into the 2000s which I can easily do. Nobody is arguing against personal responsibility just that this government has activity sabotaged the Black community and you are stupid or dumb to see otherwise.
  • 7figz
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Like I said, it's deliberately inflammatory especially with a line like this:
    So you know I can’t blame the system,” he continued. “It’s unfortunate that we make such easy work for them.”

I'm not sure if there's ever a reason to say you can't blame a systematically racist system.

I would've preferred to see a video of the interview or read it in entirety in order to qualify that ? . People be trying to append their own thoughts to ? to clean it up.

And those celebs keep falling for setup questions. If I said some ? like that, I'd expect it to be taken out of context / misconstrued - because there's a whole lot of ? you could blame the system for. And then there's some ? you can't.

It's not always one way, some ? is nuanced.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again I'm proud to be in the Army and to continue to serve. But you can ask @Black_Samson What he saw in Afghanistan and Iraq when the War first started and which fields were protected.

I'll give you a hint it's Afghainstan number one export, it's highly illegal, and you can bet that CIA smuggles it to increase revenue.
  • 7figz
    Options
    Speaking of military, you think MFs in the middle east saying "Stop blaming the Americans for everything, Ahmed - pull yourself up by your bootstraps. It starts at home" ?
  • sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The government flooded the Black community with drugs but nobody made us sell or use those drugs..... and the viciousness at which we killed each other for them is all our fault. All races do crime but ? took ? to the pit of hell and made the communities hell.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    ? that damn straight I blame the system as far as the overall community goes. On an individual basis yes personal responsibility plays but having your father, mothers, leaders, imprisoned or killed does no help. Such system was systematic put in place to specifically weaken the community.