WestCoast we did it!!! Kendrick Lamar signed to Aftermath!!!

Options

Comments

• MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    So the knowledgeable heads thinking 'Kendrick sold out… he just ruined his career…' and the mainstream fans are thinking 'Great move Son! Can't wait for you to collaborate with X signed rapper'.

Kendrick had some of the best producers working alongside him, think he'll bring them along for the ride? I doubt it.

Kendrick Lamar was part of a movement for Independent hip hop, he released three great EPs (Kendrick Lamar EP, OD and Section 80), in less than 3 years. He'd have profited hugely on that and TDE could have been the Westcoast Rhymesayers had they decided to go that route and sign a bunch of local talented rappers that could have REALLY collaborated with TDE members. Namely The Living Legends who I feel could have really collaborated with Kendrick on another level, I'd love to hear a Eligh with Kendrick Lamar track.

3 independent EPs in three years, think we'll receive that sort of music flow now that he's signed to Aftermath? I doubt it.

I'm part of the naysayers on this one, this is a bad move for Lamar. He could have broke into the charts as Aloe Blacc did with Stones Throw Records. He could have had a lengthy career similarly as to how Atmosphere have had over the past 10+ years.

He didn't need this…

He needs to stay 'hot' in the charts now or he's going to get shelved.

He needs to do 'this and that' according to Dr. Dre when he was already bringing better than they have ever brought in the past decade.

Worst news I've heard in a long while…

We can hope, as we always do, that he doesn't become a part of the Rakim pack.

Now this is one of K.Dot biggest fans on the site saying this. I agree with you whole heartedly. Aftermath/Interscope Now calls the shots. Regardless if its a joint venture or not. They have to sign off on the music thats getting released. Black Hippy may have a nice following on the west coast and with internet fans but how many units were they moving indie they wasn't doin Tech9ine, ICP numbers indie. They got a lot of critical acclaim but once Aftermath/Interscope get there mitts on them the steam of music we have been accustomed to is going to change as it always does. Expect certain artists joints to be shelved.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    So the knowledgeable heads thinking 'Kendrick sold out… he just ruined his career…' and the mainstream fans are thinking 'Great move Son! Can't wait for you to collaborate with X signed rapper'.

Kendrick had some of the best producers working alongside him, think he'll bring them along for the ride? I doubt it.

Kendrick Lamar was part of a movement for Independent hip hop, he released three great EPs (Kendrick Lamar EP, OD and Section 80), in less than 3 years. He'd have profited hugely on that and TDE could have been the Westcoast Rhymesayers had they decided to go that route and sign a bunch of local talented rappers that could have REALLY collaborated with TDE members. Namely The Living Legends who I feel could have really collaborated with Kendrick on another level, I'd love to hear a Eligh with Kendrick Lamar track.

3 independent EPs in three years, think we'll receive that sort of music flow now that he's signed to Aftermath? I doubt it.

I'm part of the naysayers on this one, this is a bad move for Lamar. He could have broke into the charts as Aloe Blacc did with Stones Throw Records. He could have had a lengthy career similarly as to how Atmosphere have had over the past 10+ years.

He didn't need this…

He needs to do 'this and that' according to Dr. Dre when he was already bringing better than they have ever brought in the past decade.

Now this is one of K.Dot biggest fans on the site saying this. I agree with you whole heartedly. Aftermath/Interscope Now calls the shots. Regardless if its a joint venture or not. They have to sign off on the music thats getting released. Black Hippy may have a nice following on the west coast and with internet fans but how many units were they moving indie they wasn't doin Tech9ine, ICP numbers indie. They got a lot of critical acclaim but once Aftermath/Interscope get there mitts on them the steam of music we have been accustomed to is going to change as it always does. Expect certain artists joints to be shelved.

Props...

When people think of joint ventures with Aftermath, they think the Shady/D12 era or the 50 Cent/G Unit era… these are two of the biggest artists/brands in hip hop history and yet you never really heard from the other members bar a Lloyd Banks LP here and there… promotion was limited for the acts who weren't the front runners...

Kendrick Lamar, therefore, needs to become of Shady/50 Cent popularity for the other emcee's on Top Dawg to breakthrough. The likelihood of this is slim (excuse the pun) as Lamar brings that rawness that is lacking for a reason in the mainstream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg63t6SWM9c

P & P shows that Lamar can make a club track, but he isn't all about that… he's a constantly evoliving artist that is ready to blow but in his own way… I hope he's given creative freedom and a release date for his album and the biggest push possible on Interscope. Otherwise, this isn't a good look at all.

Given that they're popular on the Westcoast and the Internet, as an Independent group, their proceeds and profit would have been greater then, than they are now.

Looking at the artist…

Lamar is a hugely talented artist with great flows and insight into the daily lives of individuals on the street; he's the closest to street poetry since the 90s and he's also a breath of fresh air blowing through your speakers…

This is mainly due to TD giving him the opportunity to progress within a booth from a young age and the creative freedom to roam free with every iteration and re:birth that he's become known for… one EP after another…

Will this continue given the strains and puppetry of a major label? I doubt it.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »
    Somewhere

Gage
    Rakim
    Bishop Lamont
    Joell Ortiz
    Stat Quo
    King Tee
    Hittman
    Last Emperor
    Raekwon
    RBX
    Truth Hurts

......Is Smiling

What's ur point B?

all those artist were signed to Aftermath....and none of they're albums came out on Aftermath.....Add Marsha Ambrosius to that list too....even though she's clearly not trippin about it...

This is the record industry B.... I can give you a list like that for just about every major label moving .... So again I ask what's ur point?

my point is I was just explaining to you why oh boy made the list...yes other labels have just as many artist who dont release ? ...but those were artist Dre personally cosigned and none of them released an album.....Busta was on Aftermath three years and only released one album...We as fans just dont want to see the same ? happen to Kendrick Lamar....thats my point B...

You ? ? me up with this ? ... So because dre "personally cosigns" artist X they suppose to blow or better yet their immune to the trials and tribulations that every other artist on every other major label goes thru? .... If he goes to Atlantic/Def Jam/Universal etc etc he runs the same risk of being shelved dropped flopping etc etc ..... That is the record industry Bruh ...not fairytale land or whatever some of u cats might think it is ...cats fail they succeed no matter what label they with it is the inherent nature of the game ... I also recal dre having artist like game 50 em become global icons ... But hey what do I know .... My point was to say that ? list was irrelevant and on some lowkey hater ? it ain't that hard to grasp Lil man smarten up B.

Ummm no but they could at least come out with one ? album. Yea you can make a list like that for every label, but you can make another list for the artists that did drop. What your saying is right but it doesn't apply to aftermath. All these people got hella hype when they signed to aftermath and didn't drop, go ahead and drop names of people that dropped on AM. Like I said before you're not wrong, but am doesn't apply.. Anyways I'm glad they signed a joint venture. Basically a way for both labels to take advantage of each other while he's still able to do whats best for kendrick, schoolboy, ab-soul, etc. No one gives a ? about Jay Rock because he's trash...
  • MC The Rapper
    edited March 2012
    Options

He didn't need this…

Props...

When people think of joint ventures with Aftermath, they think the Shady/D12 era or the 50 Cent/G Unit era… these are two of the biggest artists/brands in hip hop history and yet you never really heard from the other members bar a Lloyd Banks LP here and there… promotion was limited for the acts who weren't the front runners...

Kendrick Lamar, therefore, needs to become of Shady/50 Cent popularity for the other emcee's on Top Dawg to breakthrough. The likelihood of this is slim (excuse the pun) as Lamar brings that rawness that is lacking for a reason in the mainstream.

P & P shows that Lamar can make a club track, but he isn't all about that… he's a constantly evoliving artist that is ready to blow but in his own way… I hope he's given creative freedom and a release date for his album and the biggest push possible on Interscope. Otherwise, this isn't a good look at all.

Given that they're popular on the Westcoast and the Internet, as an Independent group, their proceeds and profit would have been greater then, than they are now.

Looking at the artist…

Lamar is a hugely talented artist with great flows and insight into the daily lives of individuals on the street; he's the closest to street poetry since the 90s and he's also a breath of fresh air blowing through your speakers…

This is mainly due to TD giving him the opportunity to progress within a booth from a young age and the creative freedom to roam free with every iteration and re:birth that he's become known for… one EP after another…

But to play devils advocate he got some assets that he can collab with to make the more Radio Friendly/Club Friendly/Whip Ready Joints . I can see him making another Michael Jordan type track with Schoolboy Q or Doing a joint for the ladies with BJ the Chicago Kid but again them cats aren't known like that but he can always do a joint with Drake that is sure to get radio play so who knows. So we'll see I wish them all the luck in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHQZrMOt-1E
  • alphajjc
    alphajjc Members Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I would not be surprised if Kendrick Lamar's first album comes out on Aftermath before Dr. Dre comes out with Detox
  • RuffDraft
    Options

He didn't need this…

Props...

Looking at the artist…

But to play devils advocate he got some assets that he can collab with to make the more Radio Friendly/Club Friendly/Whip Ready Joints . I can see him making another Michael Jordan type track with Schoolboy Q or Doing a joint for the ladies with BJ the Chicago Kid but again them cats aren't known like that but he can always do a joint with Drake that is sure to get radio play so who knows. So we'll see I wish them all the luck in the world.

I would co-sign this post, if it wasn't for the fact that I felt Michael Jordan was a misplaced track on that EP. I really didn't think it was a very good track tbh! Did you think it was that nice?

I think he could make another track (that would make more sense) with the same sound and I would like it though… I think he needs his contacts and producers more than ever as they truly fit his sound. I don't think jumping on others beats is going to help him… consistency and brilliance is what we've heard from him so far, much in part to his production as well as his skillset/growth.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    Options
    Michael Jordan was a nice track. Not as deep or lyrical as the rest of his ? but everything doesn't need to sound the same. If you've ever seen him live you appreciate "Michael Jordan", that ? has the crowd going ? crazy!!
  • Shalashaska
    Shalashaska Members Posts: 50
    Options
    Man, Jay Rock gots it made right now. Tech N9ne and Dre in his corner.
  • MC The Rapper
    Options

He didn't need this…

Props...

Looking at the artist…

I would co-sign this post, if it wasn't for the fact that I felt Michael Jordan was a misplaced track on that EP. I really didn't think it was a very good track tbh! Did you think it was that nice?

I think he could make another track (that would make more sense) with the same sound and I would like it though… I think he needs his contacts and producers more than ever as they truly fit his sound. I don't think jumping on others beats is going to help him… consistency and brilliance is what we've heard from him so far, much in part to his production as well as his skillset/growth.

I didn't really like the track but the production and subject matter is going to get the attention of the more casual listeners the people that get hip to music from the club or radio or what somebody may be bumping in the whip he can still do what he has been doing on his albums but for singles you gotta go with a more easy going sound.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Waiting on a Rigamortis remix with Shady LoL...

Busta Rhymes already did the remix.
    H-Rap 180 wrote:
    http://www.thefader.com/2012/03/08/kendrick-lamar-and-black-hippy-sign-with-aftermath-and-interscope/

snoop-dancing-o.gif

I know Iovine is the synagogue of Satan but we got the machine now!

Top Dawg Entertainment’s founder and namesake, Anthony “Top Dawg” Tiffith says that TDE has “just closed” a joint venture deal with Interscope Records and Aftermath Entertainment, the Interscope imprint founded by Dr. Dre.

black-hippy.jpg

Kendrick Lamar’s forthcoming Good Kid In A Mad City will be released jointly by Top Dawg, Aftermath and Interscope. Future releases by Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul and Jay Rock will be released jointly by Top Dawg and Interscope. More details on the deal, from Tiffith, are coming soon.

Read more: Kendrick Lamar and Black Hippy Sign With Aftermath and Interscope « The FADER

maxamillion-o.gif

H-Rap... What the ? did YOU do? Are you TDE??? LOL...

I would know of H-Rap if he was.
    will blax wrote: »
    man this is good ass news!!! i ? with Schoolboy Q more than Kendrick though so i'm looking forward to hearing from him.TDE ain't playin though

http://youtu.be/-tV7pFQPldo

You are one of the worst rappers I have ever heard

• yeah i rap so don't
    Options
    While Kendrick Lamar is in the studio with Andre 3k, you are all debating if it is a good move. He basically has been operating under Aftermath for over a year before they made if official. Dude Dawg just wanted his whole movement signed since him and his team built these guys. He was talking to other places outside of Interscope. They just didn't want to miss out on Kendrick so they gave-in. I do not know how to feel about this and I will say I am easily the biggest Kendrick Lamar fan on here. I have written multiple reviews of his projects exclusively for TDE and I was the first person on this site to ever listen to him. The worries people are worrying about are coming from authentic places. I have the same worries. Yea, they have creative control, but that doesn't mean they get to put out what they want to now. Kendrick has 1,000's of songs we already never will hear. That is a known pattern for Dre artists, but trust me, he already has 1,000's of records we will never hear. TDE was already ran by Dude Dawg. None of the artists decide when their music gets put out. They got to choose names of their projects and song titles, but as far as what got released the brain-trust of TDE already ran that, not the artists. Now, they will have to get Interscope heads to agree with them. Not like Kendrick lost any power over his own music. He will make some great music, some average music, and some music we will never hear, like it always has been. The question is the ratio we will get with Interscopes input. TDE already has a home studio and another one in Hollywood they record at, as well as recording on the road. Now, they have a bigger budget and can use it to promote more heavily.
    If you think Kendrick was working with Pharrell, Pete Rock, Just Blaze without already having a budget then lol.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ummm no but they could at least come out with one ? album. Yea you can make a list like that for every label, but you can make another list for the artists that did drop. What your saying is right but it doesn't apply to aftermath. All these people got hella hype when they signed to aftermath and didn't drop, go ahead and drop names of people that dropped on AM. Like I said before you're not wrong, but am doesn't apply.. Anyways I'm glad they signed a joint venture. Basically a way for both labels to take advantage of each other while he's still able to do whats best for kendrick, schoolboy, ab-soul, etc. No one gives a ? about Jay Rock because he's trash...

? huh? Lol this ? makes no sense .... Either you follow the logic or you don't ...how the hell you gone be right but wrong? Look if you don't like dre and aftermath coo ... But don't try to twist the facts to fit your arguement ...people have won on AF people have lost just like any other label ? ain't really that complex as some of y'all are trying to make it ... Talking as if your in the board rooms drawing up the promo plans... Setting up studio time etc etc... Chill the ? lax ... Dude has put out consistent quality music from the start until he proves to do otherwise ain't no need to get all worked up and speculate about ? you don't know......

**shrugknight**

• t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    edited March 2012
    Options

? huh? Lol this ? makes no sense .... Either you follow the logic or you don't ...how the hell you gone be right but wrong? Look if you don't like dre and aftermath coo ... But don't try to twist the facts to fit your arguement ...people have won on AF people have lost just like any other label ? ain't really that complex as some of y'all are trying to make it ... Talking as if your in the board rooms drawing up the promo plans... Setting up studio time etc etc... Chill the ? lax ... Dude has put out consistent quality music from the start until he proves to do otherwise ain't no need to get all worked up and speculate about ? you don't know......

**shrugknight**

So who's benefited from signing to aftermath? Who's "won"???
    While Kendrick Lamar is in the studio with Andre 3k, you are all debating if it is a good move. He basically has been operating under Aftermath for over a year before they made if official. Dude Dawg just wanted his whole movement signed since him and his team built these guys. He was talking to other places outside of Interscope. They just didn't want to miss out on Kendrick so they gave-in. I do not know how to feel about this and I will say I am easily the biggest Kendrick Lamar fan on here. I have written multiple reviews of his projects exclusively for TDE and I was the first person on this site to ever listen to him. The worries people are worrying about are coming from authentic places. I have the same worries. Yea, they have creative control, but that doesn't mean they get to put out what they want to now. Kendrick has 1,000's of songs we already never will hear. That is a known pattern for Dre artists, but trust me, he already has 1,000's of records we will never hear. TDE was already ran by Dude Dawg. None of the artists decide when their music gets put out. They got to choose names of their projects and song titles, but as far as what got released the brain-trust of TDE already ran that, not the artists. Now, they will have to get Interscope heads to agree with them. Not like Kendrick lost any power over his own music. He will make some great music, some average music, and some music we will never hear, like it always has been. The question is the ratio we will get with Interscopes input. TDE already has a home studio and another one in Hollywood they record at, as well as recording on the road. Now, they have a bigger budget and can use it to promote more heavily.
    If you think Kendrick was working with Pharrell, Pete Rock, Just Blaze without already having a budget then lol.

co-sign all this ? ....
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So who's benefited from signing to aftermath? Who's "won"???

Is this some sort of rhetorical question?
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2012
    Options

@1st bolded, so that's a good move for TopDawg? If a company doesn't want your other artists, but you force them into having them on your fused-label, are you seriously going to put any effort into promoting them? Or even giving them a release date? I doubt it…

@2nd bolded, did you meet him on the playground and hear his first rap? If not, you have no viable reason to suggest this.

@3rd bolded, and now that'll be even more complicated due to two other labels having a say in what's released. They have other interests and are unlikely to want the same as Dude Dawg who wanted what was best for his small independent group. It's not just pleasing the other half, it's pleasing a disinterested party in terms of the other members of Top Dawg.

@4th bolded, please explain… I disagree.

@5th bolded, who cares? Kendrick made the best music of 2011 without any of those producers. They're not bringing that raw and fresh hip hop like any of them dudes on his last 3EPs.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You sound like you are making up stories.

Who are you? Post those article you claim you wrote.

Are you even from the West-Coast? Have you ever met anyone associated with TDE?

• yeah i rap so don't
    edited March 2012
    Options

@1st bolded, so that's a good move for TopDawg? If a company doesn't want your other artists, but you force them into having them on your fused-label, are you seriously going to put any effort into promoting them? Or even giving them a release date? I doubt it…

@2nd bolded, did you meet him on the playground and hear his first rap? If not, you have no viable reason to suggest this.

@3rd bolded, and now that'll be even more complicated due to two other labels having a say in what's released. They have other interests and are unlikely to want the same as Dude Dawg who wanted what was best for his small independent group. It's not just pleasing the other half, it's pleasing a disinterested party in terms of the other members of Top Dawg.

@4th bolded, please explain… I disagree.

@5th bolded, who cares? Kendrick made the best music of 2011 without any of those producers. They're not bringing that raw and fresh hip hop like any of them dudes on his last 3EPs.

I don't understand how this is "ether", but I digress lol

1. Do you understand how these things work? He was having meetings with other companies outside of Interscope when they were not meeting his demands. Dude Dawg even posted a picture on twitter of him at Universal. They have all been working with Dr.Dre/ Eminem/50 Cent etc... if you think they were going to let Kendrick go to another label after Dr. Dre put him on the radar of a lot more people and helped garner interest in him you are crazy. They like the other artist, but it depends heavily on what Kendrick is able to do. They were going to get a joint venture with somebody regardless. You don't build interest and let them go elsewhere before you turned profit.

2.I was talking about TDE long before anyone on this site. I know people in TDE and I have been listening to Kendrick since 2006. Unless any of you on here have the mixtape he put out in high school when he was in high school, yes I was the first on here to listen to his music and talk about him.

3. They are interested in the other artists, but if Kendrick flops things may change. They do not plan on him flopping. He has Just Blaze, Pharrell, Dr.Dre, etc... they are going to really push his music.

4. I explained that already. There are three people who always have decided when the music comes out and none of them are the rappers themselves. Dude Dawg, Punch, and Dj Dave decide who comes out with what and when.

5.That point was to illustrate he was working with a budget. Has nothing to do with the quality of his music. You seem to be reaching and are hyper-sensitive someone knows more about Kendrick's situation than you do. I know you are suppose to be the guy who is his biggest fan and knows the most about him on here, but that just isn't the truth.

• yeah i rap so don't
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

You sound like you are making up stories.

Who are you? Post those article you claim you wrote.

Are you even from the West-Coast? Have you ever met anyone associated with TDE?

I hope you didn't give Ruff that "ether" because you felt this way. I have posted multiple stories of what I have seen and who I ran into and who I know. No one seems to understand everyone does not make up everything on the site. Did you read my other posts? How would I know where their studio is and the other studio they use? You want me to give you street names? Every rapper in California knows where their studio is. Guess what? I grew up two blocks away from Dude Dawg. I lived two blocks away 3rd-6th grade. I am friends with his son to this day. Went through all of middle school with him and high school. Guess who else went to high school with us? Ab-Soul went to high school with us. The same Ab-Soul who told me about Jay Rock and Kendrick Lamar back in 06 on AIM when Myspace was hot before he was even in TDE. I remember the day he told me he was going over to TDE.I have an interesting story about all of that too, but why tell it? You wouldn't believe me. Alori Joh (R.I.P) Who recently passed away who sung on a lot of their songs was Ab-Soul's girlfriend. The reports never said that. They said "close friend", but I am a year ahead of them grade wise and after I graduated they became an item. I know their government names too, because I really know them. Yes, I still keep in contact with them too. I write reviews for Punch personally. I e-mail them directly to him. I review them song-by-song. I sometimes send him threads on this site made about his artists too. I ask him business questions and he informs me on how to go about things. He never shares me anything they are doing as a company. They are all pretty tight-lipped about that. He did not know I knew anyone else in TDE either. He read a review I did of one of their earlier mixtapes from 08 called "No Sleep Til NY" that I posted on dubcnn's message boards.I reviewed Long-Term 2, OD, Setbacks and some others specifically for him. I do not even think he let them read it. They are really long reviews and he told me I get it and I always do. They are genuinely great people and down-to-earth. You want me to tell you other stories I have? I know people from many camps, TDE isn't the only camp I know someone from bro.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I am not saying I am special with some great knowledge, but I have no reason to make up ? to sound cool on the internet. Not like I am getting paid off of anything, but when you grow up with people and meet certain people you do know some things. Nipsey Hussle still goes through his hood until this day.
  • DetroitBoi313
    DetroitBoi313 Members Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options

Cosign this. Kendrick Lamar been operating under Aftermath for a while now. I swear I seen one of his videos on MTV Jams about a week ago and Interscope was listed as the label. And like you added how would he have the budget to work with Pete Rock, Just Blaze and Pharrell? We know how now.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options

Cosign this. Kendrick Lamar been operating under Aftermath for a while now. I swear I seen one of his videos on MTV Jams about a week ago and Interscope was listed as the label. And like you added how would he have the budget to work with Pete Rock, Just Blaze and Pharrell? We know how now.

Yea, and if they get that Dj Premier collab done you can partially thank me for that too.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Somewhere

Gage
    Rakim
    Bishop Lamont
    Joell Ortiz
    Stat Quo
    King Tee
    Hittman
    Last Emperor
    Raekwon
    RBX
    Truth Hurts

......Is Smiling

don't forget about Marsha Ambrosious

side note: I'm not googling that ? to find out how to spell the girl's name correctly but you know who I'm talking about.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea, and if they get that Dj Premier collab done you can partially thank me for that too.

How can we thank you if we don't know who you are?

Post your Twitter or something......or are you on the run from Mobsters?
  • yeah i rap so don't
    edited March 2012
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

How can we thank you if we don't know who you are?

Post your Twitter or something......or are you on the run from Mobsters?

Naw, I am never going to reveal myself on this site. The funny thing is I was going to pm you personally some of my music, but I hesitated thinking you may out me bro. I am no one known yet. I will say this. When Premo put out his list for top 2011 albums and Section 80 was not on there it was brought to his attention. I doubt I was the first one to bring it up to him, but when I did it must have been the one where he said ? it. He told me he thought Kendrick was nice, but didn't actually listen to the album, but he will. I then sent someone from TDE that message and told them to credit me if they do manage to get Premo on the album or on a future song. Will I get credited publicly? I doubt that. I do not want that. I just want them to know who did that one.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I don't understand how this is "ether", but I digress lol

1. Do you understand how these things work? He was having meetings with other companies outside of Interscope when they were not meeting his demands. Dude Dawg even posted a picture on twitter of him at Universal. They have all been working with Dr.Dre/ Eminem/50 Cent etc... if you think they were going to let Kendrick go to another label after Dr. Dre put him on the radar of a lot more people and helped garner interest in him you are crazy. They like the other artist, but it depends heavily on what Kendrick is able to do. They were going to get a joint venture with somebody regardless. You don't build interest and let them go elsewhere before you turned profit.

2.I was talking about TDE long before anyone on this site. I know people in TDE and I have been listening to Kendrick since 2006. Unless any of you on here have the mixtape he put out in high school when he was in high school, yes I was the first on here to listen to his music and talk about him.

3. They are interested in the other artists, but if Kendrick flops things may change. They do not plan on him flopping. He has Just Blaze, Pharrell, Dr.Dre, etc... they are going to really push his music.

4. I explained that already. There are three people who always have decided when the music comes out and none of them are the rappers themselves. Dude Dawg, Punch, and Dj Dave decide who comes out with what and when.

5.That point was to illustrate he was working with a budget. Has nothing to do with the quality of his music. You seem to be reaching and are hyper-sensitive someone knows more about Kendrick's situation than you do. I know you are suppose to be the guy who is his biggest fan and knows the most about him on here, but that just isn't the truth.

1. Yes I understand and have witnessed, as everyone has, the ongoings or rather non-goings of things over at Aftermath. It's similar to the Death Row artists of the 90s who never whispered nothing apart from in the Death Row studios. I understand that Dre did a lot for Kendrick with a co-signing which lighted up interest to the rest of the Internet world, to guide him in certain ways, but you're not answering my point.

You said:
    He basically has been operating under Aftermath for over a year before they made if official. Dude Dawg just wanted his whole movement signed since him and his team built these guys. He was talking to other places outside of Interscope. They just didn't want to miss out on Kendrick so they gave-in.

If this post is 100, you are stating that Aftermath were not interested parties in the other acts signed by Dude Dawg for a whole year. I replied stating how, if this is true, that other artists signed by Dude Dawg aren't in a better position. In fact, they're likely in a much more negative position than they were previously.

2. You're not alone, there is a poster in The Essence who lives in a similar vicinity to you who has been listening to k.dot since the same tape. I'm not particularly interested in who-heard-who first, it's playschool. However, you seem to want a particular hat on the board as the know all of the industry with regards to Kendrick Lamar. Whilst you're an involved party in the movement, it doesn't mean that your opinion is on a pedestal and everyone else is beneath you. I'd be saying the same thing to Dude Dawg if he was posting here. Or Kendrick for that matter.

3. Again, I disagree that Dr. Dre has anything (production-wise) that will improve Kendrick's music further, given his last 5 years of contribution to the music industry. Pharrell and more particularly Just Blaze are nice with it; but I don't see how they are going to create better music for Kendrick's sound than the producer's that Kendrick already works with…

4. Again, Kendrick did lose power for his music has to go through more than three people now.

5. And my point was to illustrate that I couldn't give the slightest as to whether or not he has the budget to work with those producers. People already love his music, including you and I, so why change your sound when it's already sonically appealing?

LOL @ bolded. I'm using the facts that you are stating to divulge further into Kendrick Lamar's situation. I'm using my knowledge of what I know to further discuss his situation and why I don't think this is the best move for his career. I don't claim to know more than anyone about any artist.

I only share my opinions here and that is all. If those opinions put I.C. members on to Kendrick Lamar or the many others discussed in The Essence then that's great. If not, there's no harm done.

I value your opinion on the matter, which is why I'm starting up a discussion with you.

Do you think the many artists who failed on Aftermath had a differing opinion to Dude Dawg's when they signed to Aftermath? No.

Do you think they have a different opinion now? Yes.

So, an opinion may be right or wrong. Being that you're the one going through the situation (Kendrick/Top Dawg) does not mean that you are making the best decisions for your future as an artist/label.

I hope that this is a great move for hip hop. But I'm just sharing my negative thoughts towards the matter.