Why is Dwight Howard the default defensive player of the year?

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
Who the ? is this ? guarding to warrant the award, the award should be going to a wing player imo. I know ? are gonna say he leads the league in rebounds, i would hope so when you're playing against ? ass centers. He is a help defender but who is this dude really shutting down?

Comments

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yes by default, ? who else would you have?
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    he has jameer nelson, rashard lewis and VC starting with him and have a top 5 defense. that alone should get him some votes
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yao Ming(healthy)>>>>>>>>>>>Dwight Howard
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    they a top defensive team in the league.....

who plays defense on the perimeter for that team?
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    he has jameer nelson, rashard lewis and VC starting with him and have a top 5 defense. that alone should get him some votes

He is a help defender, who is he shutting down individually. I would give the award to Bron, Wallace,Josh Smith,etc over him.
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I would give this years award to Gerald Wallace...but he doesn't get the attention that Howard gets.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You gassing up bron cause he chasing down blocks. I wouldn't give it to him just based off the last game vs Melo. Wallace? Not Ben Wallace? That was years ago. Josh Smith is a legit contender tho.
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    He is a help defender, who is he shutting down individually. I would give the award to Bron, Wallace,Josh Smith,etc over him.

people he's shut down off the top of my head

held david lee to 11 points the other night
    held tim duncan to the worst shooting night of his career
    held al horford to 4 points and 2 points in 2 diff meetings this year

smith and wallace i understand, but you shittin me with lebron. he's not guarding the opposing teams main perimeter scoring threat for the majority of the game
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    LOL @ lebron gettin consideration for defensive player of the year ? of his highlight plays....he isnt a good man defender, dont guard the main threat (we saw what Melo did when that happened) but he is a good shotblocker. Dwight is a good defender, you cant blame him ? he doesnt go up against top flight talent. he still #1 in rebounds and blocks, and no1 else on his team defends but they're a top defensive team in the league. the only other contenders i see for this are Josh Smith and Gerald Wallace
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    LOL @ lebron gettin consideration for defensive player of the year ? of his highlight plays....he isnt a good man defender, dont guard the main threat (we saw what Melo did when that happened) but he is a good shotblocker. Dwight is a good defender, you cant blame him ? he doesnt go up against top flight talent. he still #1 in rebounds and blocks, and no1 else on his team defends but they're a top defensive team in the league. the only other contenders i see for this are Josh Smith and Gerald Wallace

fact. i dont see how this myth still has legs. if i'm looking for a guy to chase down rajon rondo on the break, lebron is the guy. if i want somebody to play tough D on a guy for 40 minutes, he's not even the best at that on his own team
  • txboi_09
    txboi_09 Members Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Josh smith should definately get some consideration but the Atlanta hawks are always under the radar so dude doesn't get much love
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? check the stats dwight howard is a beast on D that ? stay blocking plus he never gives up on the play he hustles back to position if they try goin in the lane again
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

this is real talk...besides, who else is a better candidate for the award..
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    D Howard is probably the best defensive player in the league but I kinda agree with the threadstarter a little bit. I wanna see some perimeter players get some love with this award... I actually made this thread a while back and here's the list of the winners since 82-83, look at the lack of non-centers/power forwards... no respect for the ? that hounds the rock on the perimeter and disrupts offenses on the wings:

2008-09 NBA Dwight Howard (V) 23 ORL
    2007-08 NBA Kevin Garnett (V) 31 BOS
    2006-07 NBA Marcus Camby (V) 32 DEN
    2005-06 NBA Ben Wallace (V) 31 DET
    2004-05 NBA Ben Wallace (V) 30 DET
    2003-04 NBA Ron Artest (V) 24 IND
    2002-03 NBA Ben Wallace (V) 28 DET
    2001-02 NBA Ben Wallace (V) 27 DET
    2000-01 NBA Dikembe Mutombo (V) 34 TOT
    1999-00 NBA Alonzo Mourning (V) 29 MIA
    1998-99 NBA Alonzo Mourning (V) 28 MIA
    1997-98 NBA Dikembe Mutombo (V) 31 ATL
    1996-97 NBA Dikembe Mutombo (V) 30 ATL
    1995-96 NBA Gary Payton (V) 27 SEA
    1994-95 NBA Dikembe Mutombo (V) 28 DEN
    1993-94 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon (V) 31 HOU
    1992-93 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon (V) 30 HOU
    1991-92 NBA David Robinson (V) 26 SAS
    1990-91 NBA Dennis Rodman (V) 29 DET
    1989-90 NBA Dennis Rodman (V) 28 DET
    1988-89 NBA Mark Eaton (V) 32 UTA
    1987-88 NBA Michael Jordan (V) 24 CHI
    1986-87 NBA Michael Cooper (V) 30 LAL
    1985-86 NBA Alvin Robertson (V) 23 SAS
    1984-85 NBA Mark Eaton (V) 28 UTA
    1983-84 NBA Sidney Moncrief 26 MIL
    1982-83 NBA Sidney Moncrief 25 MIL
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    D Howard is probably the best defensive player in the league but I kinda agree with the threadstarter a little bit. I wanna see some perimeter players get some love with this award... I actually made this thread a while back and here's the list of the winners since 82-83, look at the lack of non-centers/power forwards... no respect for the ? that hounds the rock on the perimeter and disrupts offenses on the wings:

now i can agree with that. its a travesty that shane battier has never made an all defensive 1st team, yet lebron has.

i was thinking artest had more than 1 DPOY. he used to put in work in indy
  • radaman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    now i can agree with that. its a travesty that shane battier has never made an all defensive 1st team, yet lebron has.

i was thinking artest had more than 1 DPOY. he used to put in work in indy

yeah, Artest should have more than 1... And there's a big name on the list thats missing... Scottie ? Pippen... how the hell does he not win this award 1 time?????
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The best players in this league are all wing players (Bron, Melo,Wade,Durant,Kobe,Roy, and so on) for the most part, i don't see Howard going up against top flight players every night. The NBA is stacked as ? right now at the PG,SG,SF positions and definetly the weakest at the center position.
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    yeah, Artest should have more than 1... And there's a big name on the list thats missing... Scottie ? Pippen... how the hell does he not win this award 1 time?????

wrong era i guess, hakeem and mutombo dominated the DPOY during that stretch
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The best players in this league are all wing players (Bron, Melo,Wade,Durant,Kobe,Roy, and so on) for the most part, i don't see Howard going up against top flight players every night. The NBA is stacked as ? right now at the PG,SG,SF positions and definetly the weakest at the center position.

yea centers weak as hell but dwight can only go up against those in front of him. he holds his own against the other all star centers and i cant stress enough for many times he has to mop up nelsons/VC's/Shard's fuckups. i get mad watching the game, i know this ? dwight mad lol
  • will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

I think pure 7ft'ers are extinct.....SMDH @ Thabeet...Will we ever see another player built like Shaq/Mutumbo/Olajuwon/Robinson?
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think pure 7ft'ers are extinct.....SMDH @ Thabeet...Will we ever see another player built like Shaq/Mutumbo/Olajuwon/Robinson?

doubt it, because all 7 footers would rather handle the ball and shoot threes than go under the basket and get beat down

its why my man demarcus cousins is gettin a lot of hype now. guys that big that dont dance around the perimeter are rare
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Of course centers are gonna dominate DPOY...Think about Defense and what it means team-wise...Keep the other team from scoring. What's one of the best ways to do that? Have a tall ass dude the disrupts the offense, keeps guards from slashing, and blocking anything in the paint...
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hey it's whatever, i just think there is this bias for big men when it comes to this award. Perimeter defense is the hardest ? to play especially against good ball handlers, quick players, guys who got good shooting skills and can drive. It ain't that hard to body someone who is playing with their back to you.
  • will grimey
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hey it's whatever, i just think there is this bias for big men when it comes to this award. Perimeter defense is the hardest ? to play especially against good ball handlers, quick players, guys who got good shooting skills and can drive. It ain't that hard to body someone who is playing with their back to you.

I feel ya but right now I just can't think of ANY 1 guard that can shut down everyone....There's no Darelle Revis in the NBA...
  • radaman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Of course centers are gonna dominate DPOY...Think about Defense and what it means team-wise...Keep the other team from scoring. What's one of the best ways to do that? Have a tall ass dude the disrupts the offense, keeps guards from slashing, and blocking anything in the paint...

thats not what the WHOLE concept of defense is tho ? ... there are some ? on the perimeter that will disrupt your offense(Rondo, CP3, etc), I would just like to see other ? outside of Centers and PFs win the award from time to time...