Objectively Speaking, Is Outkast The GOAT Duo/Group?

Options

Comments

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wu Tang is still nothing to ? with.

Outkast is still one of the greatest groups though. I was just playing SpottieOddieDopalisciouswhateverthefuckitscalled, and that ? is classic.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mobb Deep 2014 album is straight fire tho. Mobb Deep is definitely in this argument
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YaSinister wrote: »
    Naw, Mobb Deep, EPMD, ATCQ, Smif N Wessun, Capone N Noreaga >>>>

I agree homie. I will also add Run-Dmc.

I don't care about bill board charts and albums sold. There is no outkast album I would play before

The War Report

Strictly Business

Run-D.M.C.

Midnight Marauders

Dah Shining

I am not saying Kast aint dope, didn't have influence etc. There music to me is to all over the place and they have tried to hard to make what is a simple music to make. Hip Hop is banging beat, dope lyrics. All the extra colors, smoke and mirrors are just that. Extra.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    im clearly not the biggest wu fan on here, u really think mobb deep have contributed as much as them or outkast? i honestly dont see it.

They had positive cultural impact. I'd argue that they've impacted hip hop as much as the Wu and Kast.

rofl, how? besides 1 instrumental.

One instrumental? You know what you got it.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    This will be interesting once he gets past Murda Muzik.

Funny you mention this. Because Prodigy's solo HNIC was a near classic. Infamy and Amerikas Nightmare were dope albums.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So Eminem is the GOAT then?

I get where you're going,but when commerical sucess meets with street and critical acclaim,it means something
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gang Starr is the best duo of all time

RIP Guru,but he can't rap better than Kast,has a great voice though and Primo had the best beats ever made behind him.

If we take away commercial success, Organized Konfusion is a great duo as well as tribe.tribe influenced Kast a lot,EPMD is the ? too,

kast may be the goat overall
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    So Eminem is the GOAT then?

I get where you're going,but when commerical sucess meets with street and critical acclaim,it means something

I agree, I love outkast. It's just t/s didn't even mention anything in his original post about the acclaim, he just brought up Grammys and sales. He just said in another thread he only like a few songs by outkast, he knew what he was doing when he started this thread
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    im clearly not the biggest wu fan on here, u really think mobb deep have contributed as much as them or outkast? i honestly dont see it.

They had positive cultural impact. I'd argue that they've impacted hip hop as much as the Wu and Kast.

rofl, how? besides 1 instrumental.

One instrumental? You know what you got it.

Lol why did you even bother with that ?
  • PlutoBlack
    PlutoBlack Members Posts: 18
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

I don't care about bill board charts and albums sold. There is no outkast album I would play before

The War Report

Strictly Business

Run-D.M.C.

Midnight Marauders

Dah Shining

I am not saying Kast aint dope, didn't have influence etc. There music to me is to all over the place and they have tried to hard to make what is a simple music to make. Hip Hop is banging beat, dope lyrics. All the extra colors, smoke and mirrors are just that. Extra.

music preferences are subjective, but to even infer that Kast is smoke and mirrors is ridiculous. The balanced dichotomy of this group has YET to be matched. Big Boi is the bedrock, while 3000 continually pushes the artistic envelope.

concept. lyrics. production. evolution. relevance. catalogue. everything.

they just need to work out any creative/business/personal differences and put in that work.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Public Enemy
    NWA
    Beastie Boys
    Salt n Pepa can't get no love? Lol. Kast prolly are the greatest duo but i don't see them as a group.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The War Report

Strictly Business

Run-D.M.C.

Midnight Marauders

Dah Shining

I never rocked with outkast, cant front on the talent, tho: Wu, EPMD, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, ATCQ, De La Soul, PE, NWA, Mobb Deep, CNN and a few more over them cats.....
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes w/o question, take the southern out of it, they goat period, imo only Wu and MAYBE bone come close, personally I got outkast, bone, 3 6, ugk, and ball n g as hip hop royalty tho

FUUCK how I forget Bone Thugs? ? that, Im chaging my choice. I thought we was talking strictly duos. Three 6 Mafia too.

Bone
    Triple 6
    UGK
    Outkast

sorry Kast fanboys... they still up there tho.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

The War Report

Strictly Business

Run-D.M.C.

Midnight Marauders

Dah Shining

What kinda ? ? is this? Lmao

Whats so "extra" about any of this?

http://youtu.be/uqB_UVlhlPA

http://youtu.be/D9Xju1Wavoc

http://youtu.be/vXmqauitBkM

http://youtu.be/-JfEJq56IwI

U high ? ? Or dont like the fact that they are able to pull off "extra" and it sounds better than most ppl's "normal" ? .
  • Stew
    Options
    This will be interesting once he gets past Murda Muzik.

Funny you mention this. Because Prodigy's solo HNIC was a near classic. Infamy and Amerikas Nightmare were dope albums.

So you really trying to compare Mobb Deep's impact to Outkast since 2000? lol
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As much as I enjoy Mobb's earlier work, they are not on Outkast's level.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This honestly shouldn't even be a question. People don't know how to be objective. There is nothing wrong with you liking a group like UGK better than Outkast, that's fair. But Outkast have had more success and are much more versatile. Those points aren't debatable. On top of that, Dre and Big Boi are better rappers than Bun and ? . That is debatable, but I think it's fair to say. Again, there is nothing wrong with you liking UGK better because success and technical ability aren't the end all be all in how much you like music, but from an objective standpoint, no other duo has done what Outkast has.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

The War Report

Strictly Business

Run-D.M.C.

Midnight Marauders

Dah Shining

What kinda ? ? is this? Lmao

Whats so "extra" about any of this?

http://youtu.be/uqB_UVlhlPA

http://youtu.be/D9Xju1Wavoc

http://youtu.be/vXmqauitBkM

http://youtu.be/-JfEJq56IwI

U high ? ? Or dont like the fact that they are able to pull off "extra" and it sounds better than most ppl's "normal" ? .

Chill son. It's not that serious. If, you think Kast is the best __________ that's cool. It really is.

• Stew
    Options
    ? , I was looking forward to an explanation behind your statement not convincing to you they are the best.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    UGK is dope/legends but I'll choose outkast
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    This honestly shouldn't even be a question. People don't know how to be objective. There is nothing wrong with you liking a group like UGK better than Outkast, that's fair. But Outkast have had more success and are much more versatile. Those points aren't debatable. On top of that, Dre and Big Boi are better rappers than Bun and ? . That is debatable, but I think it's fair to say. Again, there is nothing wrong with you liking UGK better because success and technical ability aren't the end all be all in how much you like music, but from an objective standpoint, no other duo has done what Outkast has.

Not to belittle your post. But it's totally pointless when, I don't believe I have read one post that ? on Kast. It's interesting that the people screaming objectivity and subjectivity are arguing with people who feel differently.

The only point made that isn't debatable is Kast's success they have sold an ass load of records. Versatility, skill and impact are debatable. Saying otherwise isn't being objective.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I think Duos is where Southern Hip Hop beats out NY Hip Hop though. I like Mobb Deep, Smif N Wessun (I'm not really understanding all the hate for them in this topic), ATCQ, etc..., but all around I'd put Kast, Ball and G, and UGK above any of them. I also think you could give other Southern duos like Youngbloodz and ? a mention beside Mobb Deep and CNN.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's what I'm getting at. If you use numbers to determine who is the best, who else is on Outkast's level?

Hammer sold a lot, Eminem sold a lot but they didn't get critical acclaim like Outkast. And I know a lot of people will bring up Eminem but for every bit of praise he gets there's always one naysayer.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not to belittle your post. But it's totally pointless when, I don't believe I have read one post that ? on Kast. It's interesting that the people screaming objectivity and subjectivity are arguing with people who feel differently.

The only point made that isn't debatable is Kast's success they have sold an ass load of records. Versatility, skill and impact are debatable. Saying otherwise isn't being objective.

Its also not debatable that they won grammy awards and got a 5 mic rating in The Source for Aquemeni
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

That's what I'm getting at. If you use numbers to determine who is the best, who else is on Outkast's level?

Hammer sold a lot, Eminem sold a lot but they didn't get critical acclaim like Outkast. And I know a lot of people will bring up Eminem but for every bit of praise he gets there's always one naysayer.

On top of that, let's not act like it's ridiculous to suggest Eminem is one of the best ever. He's nowhere near the top of my personal list, but again, being objective, he's been successful, can most definitely rap his ass off, and has made some good albums. People have to get out of their feelings when discussing ? like this.